Sign in to follow this  
hudsta

Owners Thread - Samsung New 4 , 5 & 6 Series Lcd Tv

ended up getting a 46" series 5 samsung (LA46A550) for 1950 including free delivery, and that was on 6 months interest free... so im pretty happy.. thanks harvey norman. :)

they had it ticketed for 2700.

Wow, that's some discount!

I've pretty much decided on the sony KDL40W4500 now, offered at $2170 from the sonycentral shop - a lot better than I can find anywhere else.

The next up is the sammy LA40A650, which is about $2099 online plus delivery, but I'd rather walk away with it in the car.

Heading to chatswood this afternoon to plong the readies, may try myer for sammy prices?

Wow, that's some discount!

I've pretty much decided on the sony KDL40W4500 now, offered at $2170 from the sonycentral shop - a lot better than I can find anywhere else.

The next up is the sammy LA40A650, which is about $2099 online plus delivery, but I'd rather walk away with it in the car.

Heading to chatswood this afternoon to plong the readies, may try myer for sammy prices?

myer prices on samsung were nothing special at all when i went in, but the suave guy said he could be competitive... so you gotta go in with some 'ammo' from other stores. Hit em with a price from JB after uve haggled etc..

I went shopping for a printer at the good guys yesterday and while there I saw a Samsung 46" LA46A550 going for $1499.

I wasn't looking for a new TV but now I am thinking about it for my second TV to replace the 68 cm.

The next series up is over $3000.

What are differences in term of picture quality between the series 5, 7 and 9? How obvious are the difference in picture quality?

The picture quality is the most important to me not so much the accessories and extra functions.

myer prices on samsung were nothing special at all when i went in, but the suave guy said he could be competitive... so you gotta go in with some 'ammo' from other stores. Hit em with a price from JB after uve haggled etc..

I went in sony central having decided to get the KDL40W4500 I'd been quoted $2170 on, and the guy was not in. It was up at $2700, and the salesman siad I'd have to call the original guy on Monday. I said, I'm buying a TV today..... he let me walk out of the shop and into JB hifi where I bought a samsung LA40A650 for $1999.

It's got a terribly cloudy picture, hugely disappointed in it so far! The HDMI playback off my PC keeps dropping out when I start a movie. Grrrr.

Calibration first, deep breaths.

I went shopping for a printer at the good guys yesterday and while there I saw a Samsung 46" LA46A550 going for $1499.

if thats not ex-display, its a bloody good price. like, stupidly under what u can normally bargain to.

Hi all, long time lurker,first time poster.

I have question that I am sure the experts on this forum will be able to answer.

My mother has just bought a samsung 40" lcd, I assume it is a LA40A450, and she is having a few issues.

When you turn the tv on, it not find a digital channel, it will just say "weak or no signal". Yet if you cycle to any analogue channel then go back to digital it will then be fine.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

She has asked for information at the retailer but felt she was brushed off with the standard "It's the antenna, you need a new one"

The house she lives in is about ten years old. Could it be the antenna causing this? I would think that if it was an antenna issue then she would not receive any digital transmission.

A second issue is that the remote control seems to have a really small angle of use. The remote needs to be pointed directly at the bottom right corner for it to work. If you are outside about a 30 degree angle, or more than a couple of metres away then nothing happens. I have also changed the batteries.

Would the update available on the samsung website assist?

Thanks in advance for any info.

the update may help with the channels, doubtful on your remote issue.. Give it a go with an update first, then head back to the store if the channel issue still exists.

So after a bit more searching over the weekend (last week I was complaining about some rather outrageous pricing in my area on this thread) I just brought home an LA46A650 (and the Panny BD35), bought it from the Good Guys for $2745 i've seen better pricing throughout this thread but it was the best I found locally so i'm pretty happy especially since this is my first upgrade from CRT.

The most amusing thing I found was while paying for it the cashier said "one LCD TV and a Blu Ray Player...whatever that is"

Advertising in the paper today has the 40" LA40A550 for $1499... perhaps that's what you saw? 46" for $1499 is a pretty crazy price.

Advertising in the paper today has the 40" LA40A550 for $1499... perhaps that's what you saw? 46" for $1499 is a pretty crazy price.

sounds more believable to me.... i got a 'decent' price at ~1900

My MIL is looking at a 40" Sammy and was quoted $1450 for a 40" screen from Good Guys on the Central Coast today. She 'thinks' it was the Full HD model which means it's probably the LA40A550.

I normally don't lurk around the Sammy threads, but as this is the screen she likes, does $1450 sound like a fair price? She's keen to buy by the weekend.

Also, does this screen have a matte or gloss finish?

Appreciate the feedback.

I am pretty sure it's 46" because I saw it myself and wrote down the code LA46A550.

However I didn't ask if it was ex display or not.

It's the Good Guys at O'Connor Perth. The phone number is (08)9331-7433. I went there last Saturday (7/2).

Leighaus, are you happy with the picture quality?

Edited by tucktuck

the update may help with the channels, doubtful on your remote issue.. Give it a go with an update first, then head back to the store if the channel issue still exists.

thanks, will try on the weekend and see how it goes.

My MIL is looking at a 40" Sammy and was quoted $1450 for a 40" screen from Good Guys on the Central Coast today. She 'thinks' it was the Full HD model which means it's probably the LA40A550.

I normally don't lurk around the Sammy threads, but as this is the screen she likes, does $1450 sound like a fair price? She's keen to buy by the weekend.

Also, does this screen have a matte or gloss finish?

Appreciate the feedback.

That screen has a matte finish, and I picked up a LA46A550 for $1745 at Binglee yesterday ( they have them ticketed for $1799) so maybe she could do a bit better. Or pay a bit extra for the 46".

Does the 650 also have a matte screen?

No the 650 has a very reflective screen.

Edited by Imolator

No the 650 has a very reflective screen.

Which is not a problem if you position it well and/or use curtains on very sunny windows. Just like an old tele really.

Reflection off the screen crossed our mind when we bought ours but it is just not an issue.

I updated my LA40A550 with a recently (wasn't there a month ago) released v1013 firmare from Samsungs website (http://tinyurl.com/ahyylw), the menus feel a little bit snappier but I may be imagining it, does anyone know what else this firmware may have changed relative to the old v1007 that my TV shipped with?

Enjoying the TV regardless :)

When I first got this TV and when using the remote I had to press 0-9-0 to get Channel 9 HD or 0-7-0 to get Channel 7 HD, however, now for some reason if I press 0-9-0 the goes to Channel 0, then Channel 9, then Channel 0 again!

I can't figure out how to get the remote back to the original 0-9-0 behaviour, anybody got any ideas what I need to do to get back to he original behaviour for the remote?

Thanks,

Gary

I bought a couple days ago the 52A650.

I think I got a very good deal: $1800 US dollars (about 2700 australians dollars) payable with 3 equal payments from ending April 2009 to ending July.

Now Im testing but at least HD cable is great

When I first got this TV and when using the remote I had to press 0-9-0 to get Channel 9 HD or 0-7-0 to get Channel 7 HD, however, now for some reason if I press 0-9-0 the goes to Channel 0, then Channel 9, then Channel 0 again!

I can't figure out how to get the remote back to the original 0-9-0 behaviour, anybody got any ideas what I need to do to get back to he original behaviour for the remote?

Thanks,

Gary

Next to the '0' key is a " -/-- " key press that until u see _ _ _ , _ _, or _ on your screen, these represent how many number u can enter.

Does anyone know if there are any 46" Series 5 LCDs still around or are they EOL and completely out of stuck?

Edited by marty131

Next to the '0' key is a " -/-- " key press that until u see _ _ _ , _ _, or _ on your screen, these represent how many number u can enter.

Brilliant, thanks very much for that D3CID3R. :D

The HDMI playback off my PC keeps dropping out when I start a movie. Grrrr.

Have the LA46A650

Similar problem

I run off the PC (hdmi) all the time, so about every second time we turn tele on it doesn't come on straight away and can take 10 to 50 seconds to come on

It can also go off by itself if after watching tele for a while then touch any button, then we have a black screen till it sorts itself out again

ANd the full guide is a big let down how it takes forever to scan through the chanels before you can use it

I would be interested to know if anyone has improves the guide with a firmware update?

Sure, I'll try and load it up tonight. I just walked into Retravision and asked for their best price being $2550. However i went down on a Thursday night to buy and the store was shut, so I walked into JB-HIFI who matched the deal. I paid $180 for an extra 2years warranty & $90 dollars for a surge/power board. But those items were negotiated after the TV.

Also I've heard that its a bit more difficult to squeeze a great deal in Perth & South Australia, maybe because the communities are smaller and the shops don't fear competition the same way. But happy to try and help. By the way i got mine in Melbourne.

Hi,

Which JB Hifi did you get it from? Can you pls send receipt to fandibong@yahoo.com.sg.

Thanks