Sign in to follow this  
hudsta

Owners Thread - Samsung New 4 , 5 & 6 Series Lcd Tv

Likewise, am a newbie and would appreciate a copy of receipt for this same model... I have been comparing it to the Sony KDL40W4500, this picture does not quite cut it like the Sony but it is about 2-300 cheaper and with a Blu ray player on offer it may just convince me :)

Which model are you referring to?

PS: Delete/edit your post and get rid of your email address. Why advertise for Spam? The poster you ask the question to can PM you a private message through this forum. :unsure:

i managed to purchase my LA40A650 for $2000, if you require the receipt, let me know :)

Ok, I know absolutely nothing about TVs etc, but I was hoping someone would know how to help... :blush:

We bought a series 5 37" 550 today. Looks absolutely amazing.

But. <_<

I tried watching a DVD through our Pioneer DVD/home theater player (not Blu-Ray) and there is a video lag on the TV. It's not huge, but enough that if you have the sound up on the TV, as well as the surround sound, you get a slight echo, and with just the surround on, the voices are slightly out of sync with the picture. :huh:

Then found a cord and hooked up the audio out from the TV to the surround sound to check out what would happen just on normal TV, and am getting the same problem.

I'm just using normal A/V cords to hook up home theater to the TV, is there something else or a particular brand I could use to fix this problem??

Or do I have to go and buy a new DVD? Don't really want to do this as the current one is only a couple of years old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Amanda

Hey guys, I just got one of these, and luckily, the Blu Ray promotion's still on. Quick question though, and I'd be grateful if anyone could help

I was wondering if anyone who bought one of these from JB Hi-Fi was able to successfully obtain the Blu Ray player. I'm in a bit of a pickle as to what number to give for the "receipt number" they require.

At the bottom of the receipt, (before the date and time) there's a 10 digit number, followed by a 5 digit number, then a 3 digit number, and finally a 2 digit number. Would I need to enter all 20? or just the first 10? or... does it not really matter?

Thanks everyone.

Hey guys, I just got one of these, and luckily, the Blu Ray promotion's still on. Quick question though, and I'd be grateful if anyone could help

I was wondering if anyone who bought one of these from JB Hi-Fi was able to successfully obtain the Blu Ray player. I'm in a bit of a pickle as to what number to give for the "receipt number" they require.

At the bottom of the receipt, (before the date and time) there's a 10 digit number, followed by a 5 digit number, then a 3 digit number, and finally a 2 digit number. Would I need to enter all 20? or just the first 10? or... does it not really matter?

Thanks everyone.

Don't know about the receipt number but when applying online for my mate's BluRay player the TV's model number was too long and the box you type it into wouldn't accept the whole number. Rang Samsung and they said to put in as much as you can. It was a known fault.

It could be fixed now but if not be warned. ;)

Don't know about the receipt number but when applying online for my mate's BluRay player the TV's model number was too long and the box you type it into wouldn't accept the whole number. Rang Samsung and they said to put in as much as you can. It was a known fault.

It could be fixed now but if not be warned. ;)

Cheers mate, much appreciated. Thanks for letting me know about this fault.

It seems like the receipt number dialog box accepts 20 digits, I'd guess there'd be nothing wrong with putting all 20 in then.

i managed to purchase my LA40A650 for $2000, if you require the receipt, let me know :)

This would be good :)

Ok, I know absolutely nothing about TVs etc, but I was hoping someone would know how to help... :blush:

We bought a series 5 37" 550 today. Looks absolutely amazing.

But. <_<

I tried watching a DVD through our Pioneer DVD/home theater player (not Blu-Ray) and there is a video lag on the TV. It's not huge, but enough that if you have the sound up on the TV, as well as the surround sound, you get a slight echo, and with just the surround on, the voices are slightly out of sync with the picture. :huh:

Then found a cord and hooked up the audio out from the TV to the surround sound to check out what would happen just on normal TV, and am getting the same problem.

I'm just using normal A/V cords to hook up home theater to the TV, is there something else or a particular brand I could use to fix this problem??

Or do I have to go and buy a new DVD? Don't really want to do this as the current one is only a couple of years old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Amanda

I have the same issue with my 6 series - a very slight reverberation/echo if the TV speakers and AV speakers are in use at the same time

My AV receiver has the option for adjusting out the lag. Perhaps you should see if your amp has the same feature. But in my situation, the sync issue is not enough to create a noticeable lag between the TV vision and the sound. I have not bothered to adjust the lag out and if I watch a TV broadcast through the AV system for sound, I just reduce the TV volume to zero.

Having said that, if your AV system (amp and DVD player) accepts HDMI connections in and out, you may have more success if you connect the various components via HDMI rather than component.

Also, how are you connecting sound from the DVD player to the AV receiver (presuming they are separate)? If using a fibre optical (TOSlink) cable, you may try a digital coax cable (that is if you cannot connect using HDMI - the preferred connection method).

Hope this helps

Gooseman

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased an LA40A610 40 Inch Lcd tv. The first one I had to take back to the store because there was clouding issues in a couple of corners of the TV. Having now received my replacement TV, I am noticing a few other problems that I am hoping you may be able to help me out with.

The first problem is: At the moment I am watching the Tennis in a pitch black room. I have no idea whether this is normal or not but the lines on the tennis court, in particular, the bottom of the servers boxes go all blurry and flash and shakes around the area of the tennis line. I hope I have described this right........does this sound normal???? It really is annoying and very noticeable.

A mate of mine has a series four and says that his doesn't do it??

Ok, the second problem: Not 100% of the time, but it does happen a lot. There are bars of flashing light sort of scrolling up and down of the right side of the screen.

A similar thing whereby the flashing occurs, is when there is a slow motion replay during sport and as well as that I have noticed flashing like that occurs in the background while watching the cricket under crowd stands?????

If you guys could shed some light (no pun intended) on this for me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Shark_fin

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased an LA40A610 40 Inch Lcd tv. The first one I had to take back to the store because there was clouding issues in a couple of corners of the TV. Having now received my replacement TV, I am noticing a few other problems that I am hoping you may be able to help me out with.

The first problem is: At the moment I am watching the Tennis in a pitch black room. I have no idea whether this is normal or not but the lines on the tennis court, in particular, the bottom of the servers boxes go all blurry and flash and shakes around the area of the tennis line. I hope I have described this right........does this sound normal???? It really is annoying and very noticeable.

Ok, the second problem: Not 100% of the time, but it does happen a lot. There are bars of flashing light sort of scrolling up and down of the right side of the screen.

A similar thing whereby the flashing occurs, is when there is a slow motion replay during sport and as well as that I have noticed flashing like that occurs in the background while watching the cricket under crowd stands?????

If you guys could shed some light (no pun intended) on this for me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I've noticed the flashing thing with the cricket under the stands - this on a plasma (not samsung either) so I think it might just be the actual broadcast/cameras at the cricket. Your other issues however...not sure about that.

Picked myself up a 46" 650 Samsung today and have to say that I love it. Picture is fantastic. Sure beats the 68cm Sony of mine that went up in smoke last week. One query though for anyone with the same model. How do I get the PIP to work? It's greyed out!

PiP only works when you are using another source...the TV only has one tuner obviously. Best use is when using a PVR as that then gives you at least two tuners so you can then use the TVs PiP to view the channel the PVR is set to as well as the main picture from the TV tuner...my 850 allows you to then swap the audio between the main and subpicture. If you have a PVR with its own PiP ie a dual tuner PVR you can then view three different channels at once....this works but for the life of me I'm not sure why you would actually want to...three different sporting events maybe....

Graeme

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Morning guys,

Yesterday I went to the Good guys and Retravision to check out their LCD's while the tennis was on. It turned out the problem I was describing about the blurred/flickering tennis lines are completely normal, I saw a $5k doing exactly the same thing.

The guy in Retravision explained, who seemed pretty switched on said it was because they broadcast using an "Interlaced" format and not the "P" format. He explained why this made a difference but it went a little bit over my head.

Another interesting point he made was about my first TV and the clouding issue in the corners of the screens. The first thing he asked was how did you transport it home? I said laying down in the back of my car with the screen facing up. He said that was why I had the problem and you should always have them upright. I am not sure whether this is a myth or not..........food for thought though.....

Anyways, it would be great if anyone could still shed some light on my other problem (I only have a few days left of the 14 day return policy left, so I want to make sure it's not a fault). It happened again this morning actually, there were bars of thick feint light sort of flashing down the tv. It happens on the right side of the panel about half way up and the light extends into the middle of the tv. The light doesnt seem to extend to the left of the screen though.

Could it be interference?? I am under a flight path in Essendon and I also have a Ten year old Teac tower speaker about a foot away from the Panel, maybe this is a problem? Or could it be my settings?

Thanks heaps

Sharkfin

hahahahahaha laying a tv down causes clouding.....what a joke

That salesman is a royal douchbag, disregard anything he told you.

Salesman stories just keep getting better hahahaha

Edited by shano23

Anyways, it would be great if anyone could still shed some light on my other problem (I only have a few days left of the 14 day return policy left, so I want to make sure it's not a fault). It happened again this morning actually, there were bars of thick feint light sort of flashing down the tv. It happens on the right side of the panel about half way up and the light extends into the middle of the tv. The light doesnt seem to extend to the left of the screen though.

Could it be interference?? I am under a flight path in Essendon and I also have a Ten year old Teac tower speaker about a foot away from the Panel, maybe this is a problem? Or could it be my settings?

That shouldn't be happening, It doesn't happen on my set, and I'll bet it didn't happen on the first set you tried.

Either get it replaced or get a Samsung Tech to inspect it.

However the sets should really be transported vertically if at all possible still (but doubt that it would cause clouding, it is more about gravity and the impact on the middle of the LCD panel, given it doesn't have a lot of structural support on the whole of the panel surface). Back to the Tennis, if you go to the High Definition threads you will see a discussion on the very poor quality from Seven on this broadcast, it appears they are using HD cameras and downmixing and buggering something up with the field conversion or something, there is silly "bob" like artifacts on what is meant to be a interlaced signal?

All 576i signals are broadcast in interlaced format, they have been for almost 40years in the form of PAL here in Australia. Sport is generally always interlaced (each field from a unique moment in time) and films are progressive but broadcast interlaced (odd & even field pairs are from the same film frame). Normally the tennis looks superb, even for SD, so there is something odd going on from Seven for this.

Regards

That shouldn't be happening, It doesn't happen on my set, and I'll bet it didn't happen on the first set you tried.

Either get it replaced or get a Samsung Tech to inspect it.

Thanks for the replies, looks like the poor manager will be getting another phone call from me today. I might as well get it replaced again, third time lucky!

Thanks for the replies, looks like the poor manager will be getting another phone call from me today. I might as well get it replaced again, third time lucky!

Should 'mention' how your upset and how 'a discount' would make you feel better 3rd time lucky...

However the sets should really be transported vertically if at all possible still (but doubt that it would cause clouding, it is more about gravity and the impact on the middle of the LCD panel, given it doesn't have a lot of structural support on the whole of the panel surface). Back to the Tennis, if you go to the High Definition threads you will see a discussion on the very poor quality from Seven on this broadcast, it appears they are using HD cameras and downmixing and buggering something up with the field conversion or something, there is silly "bob" like artifacts on what is meant to be a interlaced signal?

All 576i signals are broadcast in interlaced format, they have been for almost 40years in the form of PAL here in Australia. Sport is generally always interlaced (each field from a unique moment in time) and films are progressive but broadcast interlaced (odd & even field pairs are from the same film frame). Normally the tennis looks superb, even for SD, so there is something odd going on from Seven for this.

Regards

backlight clouding is a very common issue with these samsungs..

I've got the same problem with my 46 series 8, which i returned and the new one had the same problem..

if you go on the avs forums in the US and UK you'll find hundreds of posts on the same issue...

it seems to be a design fault..

one thing i have found is that it's diminished over the last couple of weeks to almost not being visible..

also..setting the backlight below 4 seems to help with it...

i have another issue with my series 8 in that i get very feint grey patches and lines at various spots on the screen, which are only noticeable when watching a moving scene that has a constant light background, such as a green background when watching cricket..etc.

90% of the time its not noticeable, but it does get annoying when watching sports etc

i wonder if anyone else has this problem...

Should 'mention' how your upset and how 'a discount' would make you feel better 3rd time lucky...

To be honest, I am starting to think maybe i should just get my money back and just keep watching my tube. I am very dissapointed!

To be honest, I am starting to think maybe i should just get my money back and just keep watching my tube. I am very dissapointed!

Nah mate, i admit you have had a bad run, but these tv's are seriously worth their weight in gold..

Nah mate, i admit you have had a bad run, but these tv's are seriously worth their weight in gold..

I hope so mate! I got mine on Boxing day and got it real cheap, $1396.00, I had to travel to Greensborough though. So if I got my money back, I think I would be easily spending a bit more for something similar down the track.

Have the prices jumped on the 650's since the end of last year? JB has the 46" for like $3200 or something at the moment, that seems way expensive. I thought it could be had for like $2500?

There has been a shortage while waiting for a shipment.

But I have lined up one for $2750..... which is fairly reasonable for where I am and the extra transport we pay.......

backlight clouding is a very common issue with these samsungs..

I've got the same problem with my 46 series 8, which i returned and the new one had the same problem..

if you go on the avs forums in the US and UK you'll find hundreds of posts on the same issue...

it seems to be a design fault..

one thing i have found is that it's diminished over the last couple of weeks to almost not being visible..

also..setting the backlight below 4 seems to help with it...

i have another issue with my series 8 in that i get very feint grey patches and lines at various spots on the screen, which are only noticeable when watching a moving scene that has a constant light background, such as a green background when watching cricket..etc.

90% of the time its not noticeable, but it does get annoying when watching sports etc

i wonder if anyone else has this problem...

I have a 46" 850 and have had no clouding, lines or anything that could be symptomatic of panel problems. PQ is beautiful and certainly black levels I don't reckon could be any better and I've watched a Kuro on a couple of occasions too. :D I saw some of the US issues but I think from memory that could have been an earlier panel or something....

I too think 7s tennis coverage has been odd...they show a match, Dokic's singles the other night....advertise the men's singles to be on next only for it to be swapped to SD only...I sat wondering what the hell had happened to the HD channel, until I check the EPG....why the hell do that????

AC

Edited by ArtfulCodger