Sign in to follow this  
hudsta

Owners Thread - Samsung New 4 , 5 & 6 Series Lcd Tv

Hi guys just wanting to know if $1800 is a good price for a 46" Series 5 (LA46A550)? Got a mate who works at JB and can give it to me at that price.

Was looking to only spend under 2k for a TV - this seemed like my best option.

Thanks.

That's not too bad. I got mine from the COTD special a few weeks back and it was $1760 + delivery of $80.00.

Just bear in mind that PQ isn't stunning...but like yourself I was trying to stay under 2k and get Full HD LCD as well...

That's not too bad. I got mine from the COTD special a few weeks back and it was $1760 + delivery of $80.00.

Just bear in mind that PQ isn't stunning...but like yourself I was trying to stay under 2k and get Full HD LCD as well...

Thanks for the input. What did you find wrong with the PQ?

I am coming from an 8yr old 69cm CRT so any lcd will be better :unsure:

By the way how good is the LA46A550 compared to the LA46A650? The price difference is quite big. Any thoughts?

I have had the LA46A650 for about 2 months, and I think it is brilliant! :D

I got the freeby Samsung Blu-Ray, and the quality is fantastic! From what I have read, I think the extra $$$ for the 650 is worth it - I am completely happy with the 650

for what it's worth, i almost got the 650 LCD ^_^

thought it looked stylish and was in my opinion the best for the money ^_^

i really only changed my mind because i remembered i wanted a plasma for that room :rolleyes:

for what it's worth, i almost got the 650 LCD ^_^

thought it looked stylish and was in my opinion the best for the money ^_^

i really only changed my mind because i remembered i wanted a plasma for that room :rolleyes:

What a pity the 650 plasma only comes in sizes of 50" and above ...... :(

I am tossing up between the 46" and 52" 650. I can only find reviews for the 46" 650. 46" seems to be VERY popular, but I would like to stretch myself and go 52" if it is still suitable.

Can people confirm that the PQ etc is same between the two models please?

I am tossing up between the 46" and 52" 650. I can only find reviews for the 46" 650. 46" seems to be VERY popular, but I would like to stretch myself and go 52" if it is still suitable.

Can people confirm that the PQ etc is same between the two models please?

Remember that if you watch a lot of standard definition stuff, DVD and FTA TV, then the bigger the screen you go, the further back you have to sit for the picture to look decent. :mellow:

I have a 40" A650 and sit about 2.5M from the screen, and standard def looks really good. I could sit a meter closer for high def.

Have the prices jumped on the 650's since the end of last year? JB has the 46" for like $3200 or something at the moment, that seems way expensive. I thought it could be had for like $2500?

Edited by Zoltrix

Remember that if you watch a lot of standard definition stuff, DVD and FTA TV, then the bigger the screen you go, the further back you have to sit for the picture to look decent. :mellow:

I have a 40" A650 and sit about 2.5M from the screen, and standard def looks really good. I could sit a meter closer for high def.

So if I was sitting at 3.0M, then 52" may be a little to big for comfort?

I suggest a 46... or even a 40.. im 3.0 m from screen , and im happy with my 40'

It's just something to consider, if you have good eyesight and watch a lot of SD.

Others on this forum with that size set would be best to give you input on their experience.

If you primarily watch Blu Ray and HD TV then 2-3M would be good.

Thanks for the input. What did you find wrong with the PQ?

I am coming from an 8yr old 69cm CRT so any lcd will be better :unsure:

I was in the same boat - I had a 51cm CRT for the past 6 years...so was a life changing experience!

I'm no PQ expert; to me, anything in HD (720p+) looked great; so does upscaled DVD playback.

However, SD stuff is so so. And Analog just looks ridiculous. Then again why would you watch analog :)

As many have said before...if u can afford the A650's, go there. If not, then get the A550...

I was also contemplating the 42" Pana PZ80A...much better PQ then the sammy but more power usage and weight...plus Pana's only have 1 yr warranty.

I had a play with an 8 at JB. Worked just fine for me. Off usb it played x264 @ 1080p, 720p as well as th res that DVDs are at, i forget which one 800x400 or something. Also it played DivX at i think around 500x300 fine also. Everything worked fine. I think th problem ppl face is when they try making their own x264 encoded files and dont know how to do the settings properly. If it complies to the Profiles then it should be fine. The 1080p file i tried was High Profile @ 5.1 or 7.1, one of th two i cant remember.

Also there is word that samsung is releasing new TVs at CEA soon. It was somewhre around. Those babys play EVERYTHING, eg MKV @ 1080p. So dont see why samsung wouldnt include this functionality in future firmware for the current models, or maybe thats just wishful thinking

Doesnt MKV use x264? I didnt realise the current screens could play that. Also profile 5.1 is the profile that most players struggle with. Its 4.1 and below that should have no issues. Id be surprised if the Sammy can play Profile 5.1, given dedicted units like the Popcorn Hour struggle with them.

Doesnt MKV use x264? I didnt realise the current screens could play that. Also profile 5.1 is the profile that most players struggle with. Its 4.1 and below that should have no issues. Id be surprised if the Sammy can play Profile 5.1, given dedicted units like the Popcorn Hour struggle with them.

MKV is just a container, as is mp4 avi etc. The claimed advantage is that it does not limit the codecs that can be used. Ie u can mix n match (eg 264 video with ac3 audio, theres no limits) where as containers such as MP4 are limited to use only 264 video and aac audio.

I cannot find the app on my comp to confirm the profile of the samples I tested at this time, so cannot confirm, but I have a memmory of being surprised. One sample was the 100meg sample file of the 1080p transformers that can be downloaded (i used the downloads for testing purposes only ;) in case theres any spies in here) and there was also a 720p sample

Damn prices on these "premium" models isnt budging at all

Do these new models inbuilt tuner or scaler overscan alot still?

The older ones seemed to have alot of overscan, almost an inch or 2...

JSmith :ninja:

I sit just under 2.0M from my 52" and I find it's a perfect distance. I could have easily gone a bigger screen at that distance too. In my opinion 3.0M is too far to enjoy HD.

The 63 inch model is awesome...no going back to small screen now!

Edited by suparockin

I sit just under 2.0M from my 52" and I find it's a perfect distance. I could have easily gone a bigger screen at that distance too. In my opinion 3.0M is too far to enjoy HD.

I agree. I have the 52" series 6 lcd and it is amazing. Could not be happier with a tv

What's SD like at that distance.

What's SD like at that distance.

depends on the program really. Some aren't too bad while others are shocking. I try to avoid SD as much as I can anyway.

Picked myself up a 46" 650 Samsung today and have to say that I love it. Picture is fantastic. Sure beats the 68cm Sony of mine that went up in smoke last week. One query though for anyone with the same model. How do I get the PIP to work? It's greyed out!

Picked myself up a 46" 650 Samsung today and have to say that I love it. Picture is fantastic. Sure beats the 68cm Sony of mine that went up in smoke last week. One query though for anyone with the same model. How do I get the PIP to work? It's greyed out!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay mate?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay mate?

People may say I am crazy for not haggling too much but I wasn't in the mood for going backwards and forwards to save a couple of bucks. Got mine for $2800 which I was happy to pay. It's a great TV!

If you press the source button over and over, it will cycle through the inputs.

Likewise, am a newbie and would appreciate a copy of receipt for this same model the 40inch LA40A650A... I have been comparing it to the Sony KDL40W4500, this picture does not quite cut it like the Sony but it is about 2-300 cheaper and with a Blu ray player on offer it may just convince me :) I am in Melbourne.

Thanks heaps :D

Edited by balattack