Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

i purchased a 55inch series 9 samsung a couple of weeks ago and i have noticed normally of a night time especially when watching the channel 10 news on digital that i get a lot of audio drop out no picture drop outs just the audio it gets bad dropping out 2 -3 times a minute for a couple of seconds at a time does not happen as much during the day anyone else have this happen to them??

I have a Samsung BDP-1500 which was received as part of a recent promotion (via redemption). It has been unboxed (just to see how the unit operated...it works well). All up it was out of the box for about 6 hours and is now re-boxed sitting in my spare room.

All original packaging has been retained and I also have the letter from Samsung which came with the unit.

Would be happy with $270 for it.

I'm located in Melbourne and work in the city during the week. Am happy to negotiate a pick-up/drop-off after work or on the weekend.

If you're interested reply in this thread.

hey guys, im looking at spending 2K$. thinking either samsung or sony LCD...

40-46" range.

looked at

Samsung LA40A650AIF for i think 2100 at JB (lowered price from 23 something)

or sony KDL40W4500 for the same price, same shop.

then i went to another JB and they had a samsung LA46A550 for 2K$ after not much talking and i reckon id get him to around 1900-1950..

is it worth dropping back to a series 5 for an extra 6 inches ? or should i go the series 6 / sony ?

thanks

Hi Guys, been reading a lot of info over the weekend since i'm planning on finally getting rid of my old CRT (yea I know :)) and have been leaning heavily towards the LA46A650, 46" is about right for the room. I went browsing around after work today briefly at JB, Harvey, Domayne, Joyce Mane and the prices I saw were nothing what i've seen quoted in this thread over the past couple of months, the cheapest I saw from these stores was around $3300! at JB. Prices on the net and earlier in the thread seem to have ranged from as low as $2500-$2800.

Did I just miss a good bargain season or is it something to do with my area (Wollongong, 1hr from Sydney)? I like a good haggle but being realistic i'd never get those prices.

Cheers.

Are you sure it is the series 6 you saw & not the later models?

I think so, the stores I checked generally had a range of the various Series. This is from the JB website http://tinyurl.com/brkumm and was the same price I saw instore, do I have the correct model in the above link (I thought I did)?

To me it seemed everything was relatively close to the RRP of the sets. :( My plan was to make a purchase around mid March as i'm going overseas on business for 3.5 weeks soon, hopefully prices can come down a little again, after some more reading last night I saw that article about flat panels getting a 10%-30% increase on price as of Feb 1 for most of the leading companies which was disappointing.

I grabbed the 46inch series 6 for $2550 late november and the ticketed prices were $2800ish. Have you tried haggling yet, as you won't know how low they will go until you start asking. BTW, I love my TV and regret not upgrading from a CRT to an LCD earlier.

Guest frankstinks
I grabbed the 46inch series 6 for $2550 late november and the ticketed prices were $2800ish. Have you tried haggling yet, as you won't know how low they will go until you start asking. BTW, I love my TV and regret not upgrading from a CRT to an LCD earlier.

$2550 is a great price. I've been struggling to get anywhere near that price in the shops in perth, but most say they will go close with copies of receipts. Any chance you could send thru a copy of the receipts so that others could benefit from your good deal? It would be much appreciated.

My email address is ianpublicstuff@gmail.com .

cheers,

Ian

Sure, I'll try and load it up tonight. I just walked into Retravision and asked for their best price being $2550. However i went down on a Thursday night to buy and the store was shut, so I walked into JB-HIFI who matched the deal. I paid $180 for an extra 2years warranty & $90 dollars for a surge/power board. But those items were negotiated after the TV.

Also I've heard that its a bit more difficult to squeeze a great deal in Perth & South Australia, maybe because the communities are smaller and the shops don't fear competition the same way. But happy to try and help. By the way i got mine in Melbourne.

Edited by GNU

Guest frankstinks
Sure, I'll try and load it up tonight.

Thanks heaps, that would be great. I'm hoping to get the TV in the next day or two so that I might be able to convince them to backdate the receipt to January for the bluray promotion :)

just wanna know if any one else is having issues with the screen image going black but the audio still working then the image comes back on

ie your watching/playing some thing then the whole screen goes black and then the game/movie comes back but theres audio the whole time

tv is a LA40A650 , seems to only happening with HDMI inputs

I know this is a late response, but I was looking for someone else with the same problem...

... I have a PS50A550 that this happens on all the time, regardless of source, but only with HDMI1. I tried different cables - no difference; then I moved the connection to HDMI3 and I've not had the blank screens since... As I only have one HDMI device (my Blu-ray) I can live with this - are you having the problem with all of your HDMI ports?

I know this is a late response, but I was looking for someone else with the same problem...

... I have a PS50A550 that this happens on all the time, regardless of source, but only with HDMI1. I tried different cables - no difference; then I moved the connection to HDMI3 and I've not had the blank screens since... As I only have one HDMI device (my Blu-ray) I can live with this - are you having the problem with all of your HDMI ports?

I too experience this problem. Intermittently when playing my Xbox 360 via HDMI 4.

leaning heavily towards the LA46A650, 46" is about right for the room. I went browsing around after work today briefly at JB, Harvey, Domayne, Joyce Mane and the prices I saw were nothing what i've seen quoted in this thread over the past couple of months, the cheapest I saw from these stores was around $3300

I got the 7 series for $3100 at JBs about 3 weeks ago. Seemed a pretty good price but I know they were just about out of stock so maybe the new stock is coming at new prices?

Guest DisasterArea

40-46" range.

looked at

Samsung LA40A650AIF for i think 2100 at JB (lowered price from 23 something)

or sony KDL40W4500 for the same price, same shop.

I'm in EXACTLY the same boat as you, looking at the same screens. Although 46" is ideal for my room, only the 850 series will fit in my crappy ikea furniture, the 650 is 1cm too high.

I've got a 32" HD(ready) bravia now, and am thinking of going with the KDL40V4000 at $1699 , which seems good. The 46' 850's are just too pricey ($3400)?

I'll be spending the difference on mounting my TW2000 projector and screen to drop down in front of the TV for proper movie watching, the TV is just for "day to day telly" and movies that don't require a 100" screen experience.

What decision did you take?

If you had to choose between the sony KDL40W4500 and the sammy LA40A650 at the same price, which would be the best????

I'm leaning sony, and really need to read a samsung review with direct comparison.

Edited by DisasterArea

Guest DisasterArea
ended up getting a 46" series 5 samsung (LA46A550) for 1950 including free delivery, and that was on 6 months interest free... so im pretty happy.. thanks harvey norman. :)

they had it ticketed for 2700.

Wow, that's some discount!

I've pretty much decided on the sony KDL40W4500 now, offered at $2170 from the sonycentral shop - a lot better than I can find anywhere else.

The next up is the sammy LA40A650, which is about $2099 online plus delivery, but I'd rather walk away with it in the car.

Heading to chatswood this afternoon to plong the readies, may try myer for sammy prices?

Wow, that's some discount!

I've pretty much decided on the sony KDL40W4500 now, offered at $2170 from the sonycentral shop - a lot better than I can find anywhere else.

The next up is the sammy LA40A650, which is about $2099 online plus delivery, but I'd rather walk away with it in the car.

Heading to chatswood this afternoon to plong the readies, may try myer for sammy prices?

myer prices on samsung were nothing special at all when i went in, but the suave guy said he could be competitive... so you gotta go in with some 'ammo' from other stores. Hit em with a price from JB after uve haggled etc..

I went shopping for a printer at the good guys yesterday and while there I saw a Samsung 46" LA46A550 going for $1499.

I wasn't looking for a new TV but now I am thinking about it for my second TV to replace the 68 cm.

The next series up is over $3000.

What are differences in term of picture quality between the series 5, 7 and 9? How obvious are the difference in picture quality?

The picture quality is the most important to me not so much the accessories and extra functions.

Guest DisasterArea
myer prices on samsung were nothing special at all when i went in, but the suave guy said he could be competitive... so you gotta go in with some 'ammo' from other stores. Hit em with a price from JB after uve haggled etc..

I went in sony central having decided to get the KDL40W4500 I'd been quoted $2170 on, and the guy was not in. It was up at $2700, and the salesman siad I'd have to call the original guy on Monday. I said, I'm buying a TV today..... he let me walk out of the shop and into JB hifi where I bought a samsung LA40A650 for $1999.

It's got a terribly cloudy picture, hugely disappointed in it so far! The HDMI playback off my PC keeps dropping out when I start a movie. Grrrr.

Calibration first, deep breaths.

Hi all, long time lurker,first time poster.

I have question that I am sure the experts on this forum will be able to answer.

My mother has just bought a samsung 40" lcd, I assume it is a LA40A450, and she is having a few issues.

When you turn the tv on, it not find a digital channel, it will just say "weak or no signal". Yet if you cycle to any analogue channel then go back to digital it will then be fine.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

She has asked for information at the retailer but felt she was brushed off with the standard "It's the antenna, you need a new one"

The house she lives in is about ten years old. Could it be the antenna causing this? I would think that if it was an antenna issue then she would not receive any digital transmission.

A second issue is that the remote control seems to have a really small angle of use. The remote needs to be pointed directly at the bottom right corner for it to work. If you are outside about a 30 degree angle, or more than a couple of metres away then nothing happens. I have also changed the batteries.

Would the update available on the samsung website assist?

Thanks in advance for any info.