Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

So if I was sitting at 3.0M, then 52" may be a little to big for comfort?

It's just something to consider, if you have good eyesight and watch a lot of SD.

Others on this forum with that size set would be best to give you input on their experience.

If you primarily watch Blu Ray and HD TV then 2-3M would be good.

Thanks for the input. What did you find wrong with the PQ?

I am coming from an 8yr old 69cm CRT so any lcd will be better :unsure:

I was in the same boat - I had a 51cm CRT for the past 6 years...so was a life changing experience!

I'm no PQ expert; to me, anything in HD (720p+) looked great; so does upscaled DVD playback.

However, SD stuff is so so. And Analog just looks ridiculous. Then again why would you watch analog :)

As many have said before...if u can afford the A650's, go there. If not, then get the A550...

I was also contemplating the 42" Pana PZ80A...much better PQ then the sammy but more power usage and weight...plus Pana's only have 1 yr warranty.

I had a play with an 8 at JB. Worked just fine for me. Off usb it played x264 @ 1080p, 720p as well as th res that DVDs are at, i forget which one 800x400 or something. Also it played DivX at i think around 500x300 fine also. Everything worked fine. I think th problem ppl face is when they try making their own x264 encoded files and dont know how to do the settings properly. If it complies to the Profiles then it should be fine. The 1080p file i tried was High Profile @ 5.1 or 7.1, one of th two i cant remember.

Also there is word that samsung is releasing new TVs at CEA soon. It was somewhre around. Those babys play EVERYTHING, eg MKV @ 1080p. So dont see why samsung wouldnt include this functionality in future firmware for the current models, or maybe thats just wishful thinking

Doesnt MKV use x264? I didnt realise the current screens could play that. Also profile 5.1 is the profile that most players struggle with. Its 4.1 and below that should have no issues. Id be surprised if the Sammy can play Profile 5.1, given dedicted units like the Popcorn Hour struggle with them.

Doesnt MKV use x264? I didnt realise the current screens could play that. Also profile 5.1 is the profile that most players struggle with. Its 4.1 and below that should have no issues. Id be surprised if the Sammy can play Profile 5.1, given dedicted units like the Popcorn Hour struggle with them.

MKV is just a container, as is mp4 avi etc. The claimed advantage is that it does not limit the codecs that can be used. Ie u can mix n match (eg 264 video with ac3 audio, theres no limits) where as containers such as MP4 are limited to use only 264 video and aac audio.

I cannot find the app on my comp to confirm the profile of the samples I tested at this time, so cannot confirm, but I have a memmory of being surprised. One sample was the 100meg sample file of the 1080p transformers that can be downloaded (i used the downloads for testing purposes only ;) in case theres any spies in here) and there was also a 720p sample

Damn prices on these "premium" models isnt budging at all

So if I was sitting at 3.0M, then 52" may be a little to big for comfort?

I sit just under 2.0M from my 52" and I find it's a perfect distance. I could have easily gone a bigger screen at that distance too. In my opinion 3.0M is too far to enjoy HD.

I sit just under 2.0M from my 52" and I find it's a perfect distance. I could have easily gone a bigger screen at that distance too. In my opinion 3.0M is too far to enjoy HD.

I agree. I have the 52" series 6 lcd and it is amazing. Could not be happier with a tv

Picked myself up a 46" 650 Samsung today and have to say that I love it. Picture is fantastic. Sure beats the 68cm Sony of mine that went up in smoke last week. One query though for anyone with the same model. How do I get the PIP to work? It's greyed out!

Picked myself up a 46" 650 Samsung today and have to say that I love it. Picture is fantastic. Sure beats the 68cm Sony of mine that went up in smoke last week. One query though for anyone with the same model. How do I get the PIP to work? It's greyed out!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay mate?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay mate?

People may say I am crazy for not haggling too much but I wasn't in the mood for going backwards and forwards to save a couple of bucks. Got mine for $2800 which I was happy to pay. It's a great TV!

If you press the source button over and over, it will cycle through the inputs.

Likewise, am a newbie and would appreciate a copy of receipt for this same model the 40inch LA40A650A... I have been comparing it to the Sony KDL40W4500, this picture does not quite cut it like the Sony but it is about 2-300 cheaper and with a Blu ray player on offer it may just convince me :) I am in Melbourne.

Thanks heaps :D

Edited by balattack

Likewise, am a newbie and would appreciate a copy of receipt for this same model... I have been comparing it to the Sony KDL40W4500, this picture does not quite cut it like the Sony but it is about 2-300 cheaper and with a Blu ray player on offer it may just convince me :)

Which model are you referring to?

PS: Delete/edit your post and get rid of your email address. Why advertise for Spam? The poster you ask the question to can PM you a private message through this forum. :unsure:

Ok, I know absolutely nothing about TVs etc, but I was hoping someone would know how to help... :blush:

We bought a series 5 37" 550 today. Looks absolutely amazing.

But. <_<

I tried watching a DVD through our Pioneer DVD/home theater player (not Blu-Ray) and there is a video lag on the TV. It's not huge, but enough that if you have the sound up on the TV, as well as the surround sound, you get a slight echo, and with just the surround on, the voices are slightly out of sync with the picture. :huh:

Then found a cord and hooked up the audio out from the TV to the surround sound to check out what would happen just on normal TV, and am getting the same problem.

I'm just using normal A/V cords to hook up home theater to the TV, is there something else or a particular brand I could use to fix this problem??

Or do I have to go and buy a new DVD? Don't really want to do this as the current one is only a couple of years old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Amanda

Hey guys, I just got one of these, and luckily, the Blu Ray promotion's still on. Quick question though, and I'd be grateful if anyone could help

I was wondering if anyone who bought one of these from JB Hi-Fi was able to successfully obtain the Blu Ray player. I'm in a bit of a pickle as to what number to give for the "receipt number" they require.

At the bottom of the receipt, (before the date and time) there's a 10 digit number, followed by a 5 digit number, then a 3 digit number, and finally a 2 digit number. Would I need to enter all 20? or just the first 10? or... does it not really matter?

Thanks everyone.

Hey guys, I just got one of these, and luckily, the Blu Ray promotion's still on. Quick question though, and I'd be grateful if anyone could help

I was wondering if anyone who bought one of these from JB Hi-Fi was able to successfully obtain the Blu Ray player. I'm in a bit of a pickle as to what number to give for the "receipt number" they require.

At the bottom of the receipt, (before the date and time) there's a 10 digit number, followed by a 5 digit number, then a 3 digit number, and finally a 2 digit number. Would I need to enter all 20? or just the first 10? or... does it not really matter?

Thanks everyone.

Don't know about the receipt number but when applying online for my mate's BluRay player the TV's model number was too long and the box you type it into wouldn't accept the whole number. Rang Samsung and they said to put in as much as you can. It was a known fault.

It could be fixed now but if not be warned. ;)

Don't know about the receipt number but when applying online for my mate's BluRay player the TV's model number was too long and the box you type it into wouldn't accept the whole number. Rang Samsung and they said to put in as much as you can. It was a known fault.

It could be fixed now but if not be warned. ;)

Cheers mate, much appreciated. Thanks for letting me know about this fault.

It seems like the receipt number dialog box accepts 20 digits, I'd guess there'd be nothing wrong with putting all 20 in then.

Guest NajNesoog
Ok, I know absolutely nothing about TVs etc, but I was hoping someone would know how to help... :blush:

We bought a series 5 37" 550 today. Looks absolutely amazing.

But. <_<

I tried watching a DVD through our Pioneer DVD/home theater player (not Blu-Ray) and there is a video lag on the TV. It's not huge, but enough that if you have the sound up on the TV, as well as the surround sound, you get a slight echo, and with just the surround on, the voices are slightly out of sync with the picture. :huh:

Then found a cord and hooked up the audio out from the TV to the surround sound to check out what would happen just on normal TV, and am getting the same problem.

I'm just using normal A/V cords to hook up home theater to the TV, is there something else or a particular brand I could use to fix this problem??

Or do I have to go and buy a new DVD? Don't really want to do this as the current one is only a couple of years old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Amanda

I have the same issue with my 6 series - a very slight reverberation/echo if the TV speakers and AV speakers are in use at the same time

My AV receiver has the option for adjusting out the lag. Perhaps you should see if your amp has the same feature. But in my situation, the sync issue is not enough to create a noticeable lag between the TV vision and the sound. I have not bothered to adjust the lag out and if I watch a TV broadcast through the AV system for sound, I just reduce the TV volume to zero.

Having said that, if your AV system (amp and DVD player) accepts HDMI connections in and out, you may have more success if you connect the various components via HDMI rather than component.

Also, how are you connecting sound from the DVD player to the AV receiver (presuming they are separate)? If using a fibre optical (TOSlink) cable, you may try a digital coax cable (that is if you cannot connect using HDMI - the preferred connection method).

Hope this helps

Gooseman