Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Please correct me if I'm wrong in saying that if you buy the tv from other retailers you are not eligible.

You are eligible to receive the proceeds of all Samsung promotions, regardless of where you buy it from.

I bought my LCD from Myer in February (free LCD promo) and got the freebie. Some idiot didn't include Myer in the drop-down list but they accept claims for Myer's buyers (sorry about the rhyme, couldn't resist).

While in JB I checked out a 46A650, and it looked fantastic. However, from the same video input as the other TVs, I did notice that the video output was lagging behind the other TVs there. I'm guessing it was configured with all the bells & whistles filters on, though.

How well does the A650 series go for console games, where video lag can be a big issue? I've read that it has a mode specifically for games, but that it disabled a lot of even the basic adjustment settings. Does it still look fantastic for games, with no noticeable picture lag?

Yes it does. Specifically, it features a built-in HD tuner and I'm surprised that you found the picture looking like SD. The 650 is one of the best models on the market right now (unless you're a Sony fanboy).

Where did you see this TV and what kind of feed was it getting ?

I set it up at home :)

The picture on Blu-ray is great, but the DTV seriously looks a bit average next to the Sony (I have them side by side). Great TV though, especially for the price - I got it for $3000

I just bought a Samsung 45A650 yesterday and was a little worried with all the hysteria about the shiny screen - ITS NOTHING!!! Ive experienced essentially no reflections at all with the room lights on, during the day with the blinds open, its not an issue - by the way, the picture quality is superb and definately beats the Sony X series.

I was there on Tuesday - but now am second guessing my selection...Today I went into Harney Norman ready to part with my hard earned to buy the 46A650 and got stage fright.

I almost blew my stack because they didn't have one setup properly (i.e. all running coax crappy SDTV channel 9) - but they had a wall of LCD's all running BlueRay through HDMI (1080imind you)... Now Tuesday in my travels, I saw the Sammy and thought it was beating the Sony's on points - but today in this demo the Sony looked much better. My big thing is sharpness and punch - and the Sony's (X 46" 40", W 46" 40") looked sharper - the Sammy's (46 and 40") had comparable tone and colour but looked soft in sharpness next to the Sony - and I mean every Sony 1080P set they had. They had a Samsung 40A650 and Samsung LA40M5 next to each other and the M series looked sharper. I am not sure if this is just a HN thing - where the Sony has been sitting there for a year and has been tweaked next the Sammy which only came in recently and hasn't - or whether the Sammy's are just softer.

I then went to the Good Guys and had a look @ a 50". It looked good but still looked a little soft when I glanced over to the 50" X Sony. (not sure what the standard of BD was running through it). I had my mind just about made up - has anyone seen a s 6 series setup and looked awesome at any store in the Sydney basin (anywhere from the west to the east - north to the south)? I have my lunched packed for tommorrow and am prepared to go on a bit of a trek.

A query about the 650's shiny screen.

A lot of people have mentioned it, but I checked it out today at 2 different stores, one that was very brightly lit (Myer) and one that was much darker (Good Guys) and the screen finish looked no different to any other TV there.

Surely if there was no problem with reflections at Myer then no one would have problems at home (unless you have a glass wall alongside your TV!)

Is anyone else baffled by how often the screen gets mentioned in comparisons?

Well it definately is a gloss finish so to say it is the same as all other screen's is going a bit far. Most other LCD's are using a matte finsh which gives no reflection. Whilst the gloss does reflect it does appear easy to not notice it after a few seconds. Certainly is a nice looking panel both asthetically as well as performance wise.

Hi All

I am having issues with my LA46M81BDX.

Specifically with B.S. from samsung.

I had an issue with the digital tuner and the mainboard was replaced under warranty.

After the repair the TV no longer supports 24Hz mode.

I spoke with the repair company and they were feed some line from Samsung that "all the new boards only run at 50-60Hz"

As far as I was aware some of the early releases of M81 didn't support 24Hz but that all of the new ones did.

What I suspect has happened is that the spare mainboards are old stock and that Samsung is hiding behind the fact that the specs for the M81 does not state that it is 24Hz compliant.

Anyone else have any insight.

I hope this is fixed by firmware because if the EDID is hard coded I doubt samsung will do the right thing and supply the correct mainboard.

Argh! I hope this does not happen to me >_<

My TV (exact same model as yours) has just decided to not work properly, I turn it on, see a dimly lit image for about 2 seconds, and whilst it is on for those 2 seconds hear an audible buzzing noise, then it flicks itself back off.

Called up to get it collected and repaired but I can only hope I do not have the same issue as you...!

I realise also that these TVs don't display 24hz correctly as they can't display it in a multiple of 24, but the resulting image definitely displays a marked advantage in panning scenes, they just look noticeable smoother. But yeah I can see what you are saying, it was never a listed feature of this TV, thus they don't have to really do anything about it if your TV is repaired and the feature has disappeared!

I'll report back when I get my TV back and hopefully I won't be reporting the same news as I'll be pretty miffed...

I was there on Tuesday - but now am second guessing my selection...Today I went into Harney Norman ready to part with my hard earned to buy the 46A650 and got stage fright.

I almost blew my stack because they didn't have one setup properly (i.e. all running coax crappy SDTV channel 9) - but they had a wall of LCD's all running BlueRay through HDMI (1080imind you)... Now Tuesday in my travels, I saw the Sammy and thought it was beating the Sony's on points - but today in this demo the Sony looked much better. My big thing is sharpness and punch - and the Sony's (X 46" 40", W 46" 40") looked sharper - the Sammy's (46 and 40") had comparable tone and colour but looked soft in sharpness next to the Sony - and I mean every Sony 1080P set they had. They had a Samsung 40A650 and Samsung LA40M5 next to each other and the M series looked sharper. I am not sure if this is just a HN thing - where the Sony has been sitting there for a year and has been tweaked next the Sammy which only came in recently and hasn't - or whether the Sammy's are just softer.

I then went to the Good Guys and had a look @ a 50". It looked good but still looked a little soft when I glanced over to the 50" X Sony. (not sure what the standard of BD was running through it). I had my mind just about made up - has anyone seen a s 6 series setup and looked awesome at any store in the Sydney basin (anywhere from the west to the east - north to the south)? I have my lunched packed for tommorrow and am prepared to go on a bit of a trek.

I just bought my new 46" 650 Samsung, and set it up to my XBR 46" Bravia (Current model). Differences watching next to each other testing PS3 with HDMI, TV, and Blu-ray

Samsung good points

- Great design. Much cleaner than the Sony

- Gloss is fantastic. It has noticabley better black levels, and doesnt reflect as bad as its made out

- light , its easy to wall mount and move around

- sharp image, I would say as good as Sony

- No shimmering on fast moving images

- Warranty and price better for Samsung

Samsung bad points compared to Sony

- The digital HD Tuner doesnt give as good a picture

- There seemed to be more "Noise" in the Samsungs picture during games and TV, not enough to make it a big negative though

- The Sony feels like it has a better build quality

-PS3 and Xbox360 looked a little bit better on Sony

Overall, I would say for HD the Samsung, Sport viewing the Samsung. Gaming the Sony, TV viewing the Sony.

TV vs TV the Sony would be the better unit if found for the same price, but maybe my view will change as I have more of a play with the settings. Great TV's either way

P.S.- The reason I have them both, I use the XBR in the main room, and an older LCD in the bedroom. Im upgrading my main room to a bigger TV, and the XBR is simply too heavy to put on the wall for the bedroom, and looks to big with the plastic surround, so the sammy will suit. Without any Bias, If was deciding between the XBR and Sammy as the main TV, and size/weight was no issue, I would say the Sony would be the keeper for sure.

Edited by frozenblaze

Go and have a play with the settings yourself.

I'm not in Sydney, but, I saw a 650 side-by-side with an xbr and the 650 was definately sharper.

They were showing some demo loop from the same blu-ray source with graphics traveling from right to left across the bottom of the screen, and the series 6 was clearly sharper. It looked awesome actually!

I was set to part with some 'hard earned' on a new sony x, but I'm sold on these new Samsungs, I think they look fantastic!

Wags

jackpot .. I got a special offer doc ... cant say any more about it so dont ask ... but I found out the 680 is just a blue 650.

First price listed is special price but its for employees of a certain company only ... nothing more to say on that

LA40A680A1FXXY 101cm, Full HD, 1920 x 1080p,100Hz, Crystal Blue Design, (DVB-T (HD tuner built in), 50,000: 1 Dynamic Contrast

ratio, 5ms response time, CCFL, 500cd/m2, 4x HDMI, SRS Tru surround $2,257.27$3,299.00$50.00

LA46A680A1FXXY 116cm, Full HD, 1920 x 1080p,100Hz,Crystal Blue Design, (DVB-T (HD tuner built in), 50,000: 1 Dynamic Contrast

ratio, 5ms response time, CCFL, 500cd/m2, 4x HDMI, SRS Tru surround $2,859.41$4,179.00$50.00

LA52A680A1FXXY 132cm, Full HD, 1920 x 1080p,100Hz,Crystal Blue Design, (DVB-T (HD tuner built in), 50,000: 1 Dynamic Contrast

ratio, 5ms response time, CCFL, 500cd/m2, 4x HDMI, SRS Tru surround $3,762.62$5,499.00$50.00

650 for comparison

LA32A650A1FXXY 81cm, Full HD, 1920 x 1080p,Crystal Design, DVB-T (HD tuner built in), 15,000: 1 Dynamic Contrast ratio, 5ms

response time, CCFL, 500cd/m2, 4x HDMI,SRS Tru surround $1,354.06$1,999.00$50.00

LA40A650A1FXXY 101cm, Full HD, 1920 x 1080p,100Hz,Crystal Design, DVB-T (HD tuner built in), 50,000: 1 Dynamic Contrast ratio,

5ms response time, CCFL, 500cd/m2, 4x HDMI, SRS Tru surround $2,106.73$3,099.00$50.00

LA46A650A1FXXY 116cm, Full HD, 1920 x 1080p,100Hz,Crystal Design, DVB-T (HD tuner built in), 50,000: 1 Dynamic Contrast ratio,

5ms response time, CCFL, 500cd/m2, 4x HDMI, SRS Tru surround $2,633.60$3,849.00$50.00

LA52A650A1FXXY 132cm, Full HD, 1920 x 1080p,100Hz,Crystal Design, DVB-T (HD tuner built in), 50,000: 1 Dynamic Contrast ratio,

5ms response time, CCFL, 500cd/m2, 4x HDMI, SRS Tru surround $3,386.28$4,999.00$50.00

Those aren't employee buy prices..... employees of said shops buy straight through the sales reps and get better deals that way.... :D *eyes off samsung 40a650 at tax time*

Looks like cost price EXCLUSIVE of GST/Go price RRP/Delivery pricing to me.

Goes to show that when I said there is no money in TV's for the shops, I really meant it, and wasn't a filthy lying cheat.... *Looks at Kulfi*

Underd0g, I was thinking the same thing. In fact it's the exact same format as a price list I saw at work from one of our distributors. Interestingly our buy price (Excluding GST) for the 40" 650 was actually $100 cheaper... and we don't even sell TVs (or any Samsung products for that matter).

Ive been living with an X series Sony for the last 8 months and the A650 Samsung is certainly as sharp as the Sony, and with its better blacks, better colour and better motion handling its picture exceeds that of the Sony. The Sony does look great but is prone to smearing with motion - the Samsung is faultless. The one thing that isnt great on the Samsung is the game mode - its good in that it drops all extra processing to reduce lag, but the picture looks positively flat compared to the other modes. However I dont think lag is a big deal with most games (unless your playing Ninja Gaiden on hard difficulty!), on the other modes with AMP engaged games look awesome and so far seem to play fine.

Also never take what you see in shops as truley representing a TV's cabability - I mucked around on the 650 in the shop and loved it, however, it didnt seem as sharp as the Sony but I bought it anyway because of its other advantages. When I got it home I was blown away by its sharpness, its easily as sharp as the Sony, perhaps more so - its just that the crappy HD TV signal it was processing in the shop wouldnt reveal that!

Hi, newbie here, sounds like the Samsung 650 is THE ONE to buy at the moment. As much as I'd love a free PS3, the Samsung seems at least a generation ahead of the Sony's right now.

I need to buy on interest free (getting a couch too) from either HN, Myer or DJ's. Only price I have is $2450 for the 40" or $2880 for the 46" which was Harvey Norman in Brisbane. I realise there isn't as much negotiating power going interest free, but are these prices close to the mark??

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi, newbie here, sounds like the Samsung 650 is THE ONE to buy at the moment. As much as I'd love a free PS3, the Samsung seems at least a generation ahead of the Sony's right now.

I need to buy on interest free (getting a couch too) from either HN, Myer or DJ's. Only price I have is $2450 for the 40" or $2880 for the 46" which was Harvey Norman in Brisbane. I realise there isn't as much negotiating power going interest free, but are these prices close to the mark??

Thanks in advance. :)

$2880 for the 46'' on interest free......... bargain!!!

I'd grab it if I were you.

I just got the 52" 650 for $3,500 at Myer - and then get $60 back in vouchers.

Hi,

Thinking of getting 46" or 52"" 650. I've seen a 40" on display at Myer City but not sure if 52" is too big for my place.

would you be able to email me a copy of your receipt or let me know which store you got yours from?

emails2annie@gmail.com

many thanks in advance...

Edited by tango_au

Only price I have is $2450 for the 40" or $2880 for the 46" which was Harvey Norman in Brisbane. I realise there isn't as much negotiating power going interest free, but are these prices close to the mark??

If it helps your decision any, I have just purchased a 40" 650 for $2249 with cash.

I only looked at 2 shops though (Myer and Good Guys). I'm sure there's bigger savings to be had for good negotiators or those with the time to drive all over the city making retailers compete. I've got better things to do with my time so I'm happy with the price.

If it helps your decision any, I have just purchased a 40" 650 for $2249 with cash.

I only looked at 2 shops though (Myer and Good Guys). I'm sure there's bigger savings to be had for good negotiators or those with the time to drive all over the city making retailers compete. I've got better things to do with my time so I'm happy with the price.

Thanks for that. I'd expected the cash prices would be ~$200 better than interest free, so that's fine.

For anyone in Brisbane, I've been talking to Sam at Harvey Norman Brisbane CBD and he's been very decent. Not pushy at all. Happily gave me prices on the various tv's I asked about.

picked up a series 5 (32") and a series 6 (46") on the weekend. The series 5 is running great.. still waiting on delivery of the 46" though :/

Paid (at JB)

32" Series 5 $1150

46" Series 6 $2600

May I have a copy of the receipt too please?

emails2annie@gmail.com

Those aren't employee buy prices..... employees of said shops buy straight through the sales reps and get better deals that way.... :D *eyes off samsung 40a650 at tax time*

Looks like cost price EXCLUSIVE of GST/Go price RRP/Delivery pricing to me.

They are sell price incl GST but delivery is $50 ... for employees of a big media company (not a tv retailer). If you can get a 52 inch for better than 3400 delivered then more power to you. Including 3 years warranty is a deal I didnt think Ide see in 2008!

Underd0g, I was thinking the same thing. In fact it's the exact same format as a price list I saw at work from one of our distributors. Interestingly our buy price (Excluding GST) for the 40" 650 was actually $100 cheaper... and we don't even sell TVs (or any Samsung products for that matter).

yeah our net price buy is a bit cheaper as well, however it looks like invoice cost without rebates. I remember recieving the pricing about 3wks before the f series finished up and thought, "f.uck me, we better sell out our f series tv's quick smart or we'll be stuck with them"

Argh! I hope this does not happen to me >_<

My TV (exact same model as yours) has just decided to not work properly, I turn it on, see a dimly lit image for about 2 seconds, and whilst it is on for those 2 seconds hear an audible buzzing noise, then it flicks itself back off.

Called up to get it collected and repaired but I can only hope I do not have the same issue as you...!

I realise also that these TVs don't display 24hz correctly as they can't display it in a multiple of 24, but the resulting image definitely displays a marked advantage in panning scenes, they just look noticeable smoother. But yeah I can see what you are saying, it was never a listed feature of this TV, thus they don't have to really do anything about it if your TV is repaired and the feature has disappeared!

I'll report back when I get my TV back and hopefully I won't be reporting the same news as I'll be pretty miffed...

Actually scratch that, for whatever reason after having my TV unplugged all week it decided to start working perfectly again... the day before the repair guys are due to collect it.. lol

Guest Jeff651503562424
picked up a series 5 (32") and a series 6 (46") on the weekend. The series 5 is running great.. still waiting on delivery of the 46" though :/

Paid (at JB)

32" Series 5 $1150

46" Series 6 $2600

Hi Ethergy

Could I please have a copy of the receipt. I am after a 46" Series 6. My best price so far is $2780

jeff65au@hotmail.com

Thanks Jeff65