Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly About

Ghost Town

I am not the type of person who often laughs out loud at comedies - more of a smile or a chuckle. This one made me laugh out loud in quite a few scenes.

Starring Ricky Gervais from The Office, Greg Kinnear and Tea Leoni; it is about a grumpy dentist (Ricky) who suddenly sees dead people.

I am not going to give any more of the plot away...

Could be easily overlooked hence the recommendation.

Band of Brothers

Most HT fans would know this well and there should be no need for an introduction to the story.

However the BR version is simply superb and offers a huge improvement over the DVD. Having used everything from an M16 all the way to a 108mm recoiless, I can attest to the accuracy of the sound reproduction and the surround field generated is truly first rate.

Plus a good bunch of actors in a true story and you have the makings of a war classic, which is probably better than the movie Saving Pte Ryan. If you have ever been in a uniform, there will be a deeper sense of comradeship with these men.

A real keeper and my recommendation for disc/s of the year.

Merry X Mas!

Band of Brothers

Most HT fans would know this well and there should be no need for an introduction to the story.

However the BR version is simply superb and offers a huge improvement over the DVD. Having used everything from an M16 all the way to a 108mm recoiless, I can attest to the accuracy of the sound reproduction and the surround field generated is truly first rate.

Plus a good bunch of actors in a true story and you have the makings of a war classic, which is probably better than the movie Saving Pte Ryan. If you have ever been in a uniform, there will be a deeper sense of comradeship with these men.

A real keeper and my recommendation for disc/s of the year.

Merry X Mas!

yeah definitely a great series. think ill upgrade to the blu ray version at some point. hope the pacific war is as good as band of bothers.

BTW it is 37.49 USD at amazon right now

yeah definitely a great series. think ill upgrade to the blu ray version at some point. hope the pacific war is as good as band of bothers.

Australia

This is a movie of epic proportions, on two counts, firstly it is a grand movie with sprawling vistas and a mini historical view of Australia at a tumultuous time.

Secondly, it is really quite long. At 163 minutes, it stands as long if not longer than one of the LOTR installments and could have been made into 2 movies.

This movie is kind of like Out of Africa plus a bit of Jewel of the Nile plus Pearl Harbor plus Rabbit Proof Fence, all rolled into one, so I guess that may explain why it was such a long movie. They choose two of Australia’s current hottest two leads, Nicole Kidman as a lady of royalty and used to fine ways from UK, and Hugh Jackman as the rough and tumble man of the bush. Oh then I should also add Crocodile Dundee as another movie from which it draws its inspiration of a contrast of two people who come from different backgrounds and are forced to survive together.

There are elements of action, humor, history and of course a sizzling romance all mashed together with a cowboy cum Rawhide theme. Strongly featured in a politically correct nod to PM Kevin Rudd’s apology to the lost generation of Aboriginal children, the Aborigines are offered a starring role in a positive light, quite contrary to many traditional roles they have suffered over the years. The pair of hot stars try their best to serve up the mixture, and there is genuine chemistry between the ever so slender Nicole and she looks perfect in the role of an apparently withering gentry from UK who makes it good as a tough lady with hot passion for her man. Jackman also tries to fill a role where he is required to act, and his good looks go a long way to helping his rather boy scout and eager beaver style, and I reckon many a woman would have swooned at his entrance into the dance hall, all shaven and decked out in a white tuxedo. A young Aboriginal boy with lovely eyes kept pace with the two leads in the show. They were milking quite a few scenes for Oscars I must say…

At the end of the day, the length was a little too much and I found myself fiddling in my seat a tad too often, and if I am looking at my watch, that’s no too good too. I enjoyed the scenery of the Northern Territories, with lots of vistas which entice me to make a trip Down Under to Top side. The NT tourist board must be gleefully wringing their hands at the expected inflow of tourists after this, and I know they won’t be disappointed at the beauty of the land. However, trying to include too much, adding so many elements, and borrowing a little too much from other movies spoils it a bit. You feel a sense of de jevu with certain scenes and although the CGI and sound engineers worked overtime to execute the scenes, some more aggressive editing and cutting would have benefitted the pace and mood of the movie.

At the end of the day, the Aussie audience would be quite pleased, and so would those who have not seen NT, but it may pale in comparison to some other movies made this year. For me, I enjoyed the mixture of action, comedy and romance, and of course the occasion and company helped too…

PS: I notice the Oz version has some different scenes from the overseas releases.

A renter at least.

Merry Xmas!

Edited by petetherock

Hunger

Saw this at the Nova, its the story of the 1981 Irish hunger strike during which 10 IRA members died. It tells the story from the point of view of IRA member Bobby Stands and a nameless guard at the prison. The movie has minimal dialogue except for a 10 minute section near the middle of the movie. I didn't know much about the whole IRA era in northern ireland so this movie was definitely an eye opener

Would recommend, 4/5.

Afro Samurai

Just saw this on BR.

This is a fusion manga, anime, kungfu flick with deep Afro-American influences. For those weak of stomach, it will be quite bloody and is more graphic than Kill Bill albeit in anime form.

The plot is rather simple with a revenge story arc stretching over 5 episodes. There is some chick factor and even an obligatory sex scene, in the classic Jap Sailor Moon style, and a little Lolita mixed in.

As for the action, it does come fast and furious and yet it is a little basketball like (watch the extras and you will know why)

Good for at least a rental.

OT but since this is an active topic..........anyone notice any Blu Ray promotion on new DVDs'.

Haven't rented or bought any new ones in ages.

Please?

Hi dj!....that's not I mean. I wish to know if current DVD's contained any Blu Ray promotional stuff like ad's etc.

Ah, my bad - not that i've seen but i only rent bluray now thru quickflix.

Ah, my bad - not that i've seen but i only rent bluray now thru quickflix.

Thanks anyway!

Babylon AD

A Transporter meet Children of Men meets XXX kind of genre (if there is one...) about a mercenary who develops a conscience. Get Vin Diesel, throw in a wooden Michelle Yeoh and a relative unknown as the transportee - cheaper to hire I guess, and viola a movie...

Action: enough of it, with parkour thrown in, cage fighting, guns, explosions, HT surround and bassheads will be pleased 4/5

Chick factor: quite low... 2.5/5

Give this movie a spin for the bass, but don't ask too many questions about all the loopholes in the plot, otherwise you will ask why you paid for it

2.5/5

Eye in the Sky

Just picked up this one for a spin. Quite simply, it deserves all the accolades that the HKG film industry heaped on it in 2007. Can't understand how this one slipped past me.

A simple plot of how a HKG surveillance team breaks up a hiest team, and how a rookie (Ms HKG 2004) plays a pivotal role in it. Johnnie to produces it, and uses his favorite bunch including key casts from the PTU show like Simon Yam, Lam Suet, Maggie Siu Mei-Kei, with Tonly Leung added into the plot as a ruthless and smart villian, this show has some moments of great suspense, and decent character development. Using the tried and tested team of actors makes for a familar A-team that has chemistry, good rapport and real talent.

4.5/5 for plot

Action: I watched the HKG version which has a DTS-ES version in Cantonese on the DVD, and this is one of the most involving sound effects I have ever heard! Try this, and see if your HT setup can recreate the surround envelop, if not, its time for an upgrade!

For a test of your HT system and its ability to recreate the streets of Hong Kong, the sounds, the sights and almost the smells, this SD DVD has some serious sound engineering. 5/5

Chick Factor: Kate Tsui is alright - Ms HKG 2004, and Maggie Siu is fine for her age. Good acting rather than eye candy. 3/5

I would buy this, and again when it comes out on Blu Ray.

Thoroughly enjoyable, HT, plot and all. Definite recommendation.