Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly About

Ok, so I got to watch these late:

Die Hard 4 & Rambo 4

The 4th of a series can be quite tricky. Many might feel that the actors are milking the franchise for one more hit and just hoping for some cash for the Super. Both were top of the line actio heroes in their prime. But as they say the similarities end....

B Willis decided that the Old Spice man was the right way, emphasis rather than hide the age, and throw in a young man as a counterfoil, who was geeky and would not show up his age too much. Actually I must say he looks rather fine for his age. Nothing that tee shirt which stays on this time cannot hide.

The plot is simple, and even though hacker terrorists have been used in other movies, DH 4 does it well and the use of Parkour adds to the tempo.

Plot: 4/5

Action: 5/5, no doubt it was pulsating and if he keeps this up, I am ready for DH 5. Love the car vs helicopter scene.

Chick factor: 4/5 I like Maggie Q. Even saw that ping pong show because of her...

I have no doubt this is a keeper. I still do not know why I took so long to get round to this. The BR disc is a full on demo disc, and the crash in the tunnel gave my SVS sub an exellant workout.

Sly also try to get another hit, esp after the success of Rocky Balboa. Sadly in comparison to DH4, his effort is good but not great. Wasn't he arrested at Sydney airport for drug possession?

Plot: 3/5 take Rambo II, swop to Burma, and viola, another Rambo. He is even bigger this time round, steroids?

Action: I didn't see Rambo for a Oscar performance, and he knows that. The exploding bodies are quite something else. But I assure everyone, that is really what happens (don't ask me how I know) 3.5/5

Chick factor: Julie Benz, sigh enough said 2.5 /5

I bought this, for the incredible soundtrack on DTS-MA 7.1 and it delivers.

I don't understand the title of this thread - "Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly About". How are basic reviews a discussion about one feeling "strongly" about a movie?

I don't understand the title of this thread - "Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly About". How are basic reviews a discussion about one feeling "strongly" about a movie?

Maybe it should read "Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly enough about to write your opinion that no one seems to agree with or care about" :P:lol:

Maybe it should read "Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly enough about to write your opinion that no one seems to agree with or care about" :P:lol:

No, that thread is here :blush:

Plot: 3/5 take Rambo II, swop to Burma, and viola, another Rambo. He is even bigger this time round, steroids?

mmm, lessee the plot of Rambo 4. Chick asks Rambo for a lift for her buddies, he does, they get caught, Rambo kills everyone then goes home.

There were a couple of attempts to inject some reasoning and rationalisation to the progress the "story" but all it amounted to was, 'I do what I do because it's what I do'. I've ridden in trains whose path was less linear and predictable than this movie's plot.

My strongest emotion with this movie (nausea not being so much an emotion as a symptom) was discomfort. I'm not a squeemish person but the body parts in this flick had me squirming in the seat. The words "uneccessary" and "gratuitous" keep running through my head.

Edited by ajm

Sat down and watched Enchanted (DVD) last weekend with the kids.

Great family movie, good transfer and a few laughs for Mum & Dad.

Highly recommended,

Struggo

I've felt strongly about a few movies but they didn't feel the same way about me, they just wanted to be friends :(

I have the same problem with women. :rolleyes:

Damn you Jennifer Hawkins.

Into The Wild (2007) directed by Sean Penn.

( already in the list ) post edited.

Valley of Elah (2007).

If you saw the documentary of US Troops in Iraq with handy cams this movie looked very close to reality. ( If it moves shoot it ).

Edited by mwd

Golden Child

Ok this is quite old, but I recently acquired the DVD...

This is Eddie Murhpy at his prime, around the time of his Beverly Hills Cop time, and he is at his cocky, witty fast talking best. The plot isn't too clear, but throw in loads of funny one-liners, some decent action and a hot babe, and we are off!

Plot: not the best but even 22 years after, IMO it's still engaging. 3/5

Action: Don't look for deep bass etc, and the CGI has aged. Think along the lines of Conan, Clash of the Titans type of animation and you will be right. 3/5

Chick Factor: Charlotte Lewis rocks! 4.5/5

http://www.celebritypicturesarchive.com/pi...lotte-lewis.jpg

Buy / Rent / Forget it: I like this, Happy to own it and take it out for a 80s Eddie Murphy night!

http://www.lovefilm.com/lovefilm/images/pr.../4267-large.jpg

The Mist

THis is certainly one of Stephen King's better translations to movie. Frank Darabont did a wonderful job as this was a great movie IMO.

While its labeled as a horror movie, fact is that its much deeper than that. It focuses more on human behaviour under stress than it does on the blood and guts.

A little dodgy CGI (maybe the budget?) but you can look past that.

Also one of the rare movies where its not let down by a crap ending. This ending is a corker!

A buy for me on BR next month.

The Mist

THis is certainly one of Stephen King's better translations to movie. Frank Darabont did a wonderful job as this was a great movie IMO.

While its labeled as a horror movie, fact is that its much deeper than that. It focuses more on human behaviour under stress than it does on the blood and guts.

Also one of the rare movies where its not let down by a crap ending. This ending is a corker!

I plan to give this a spin tonight. Glad to hear someone thought it worth seeing.

Edited by ajm

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale

First the two nice things I can say:

The scenery was great and secondly the CGI was not too shabby.

But it seems the crew simply went to British Columbia, Canada, borrowed all the stuff from LOTR, added some CGI and hoped the mixture would work...

Sadly it doesn't.

It rated amongst the all time worst movies and it rightly deserves so. The plot has more holes than a sieve. Asking Jason Statham to act is like asking him to give birth, and Burt Reynolds didn't do much better. They borrowed so much from LOTR that you wonder if this was part of the series. The Krugs in it look like the orcs, the battle scenes resemble the battle at Deep Helm and Ray Liotta just doesn't cut it as a villian.

Plot: 1/5

Action: The DVD was flat with little dynamics, and the battle scenes although well constructed, seemed too similar to the other movies. 2.5/5

Chick Factor: Ok, so Claire Forlani is hot, and Leelee Sobieski isn't too bad, but its hard to focus on them with so much crap going on. 3.5/5

Don't go near this with a 10 foot pole.... wait it works well if you want to make another movie look better.... zzzz

http://www.axport.com/movies/2008-Hollywoo...onSiegeTale.jpg

The Mist

I agree , great ending . Very surprised that the studio bigwigs let this be the ending that got used.

HANCOCK

Didn't really want to see this at the cinema but my mate shouted me a ticket so i thought i'd check it out. Was pleasantly surprised. Was different from most superhero movies , especially the first half which had plenty of laughs. The second half was a bit more serious , but still enjoyed it.

3.5/5