Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly About

Good list D-train, have to agree with Death Proof & Planet Terror both excellent, thought Rose McGowan's gun leg was a cracker :D

Yeah it was a real goody mate. Where do these blokes come up with this stuff. Guess thats why Rodriguez and tarantino get paid the big bucks.

Just did

The Thing

Sort of like a pre Alien show ....

Kurt Russel can actually act...

Plot: Usually Alien lands and kills every one, a soul a time, plus some special effects circa 80s thrown in.... still pretty effective 4/5

Action: weak by Alien standards, but enjoyable 3.5/5

No chicks....

Rent buy or forget it: Not bad for a winter night.... nice to see the snow and not feel the cold...

Good list D-train, have to agree with Death Proof & Planet Terror both excellent, thought Rose McGowan's gun leg was a cracker :D

i liked this scene when she gets on the motorbike with rose.

Cherry Darling: I'm Cherry.

Dr. Dakota Block: You sure are.

i liked this scene when she gets on the motorbike with rose.

Cherry Darling: I'm Cherry.

Dr. Dakota Block: You sure are.

Two very ugly women on a motorbike...... :P

I know why I loved this movie ;)

I am Legand

I thought this film was captivating, will smith's acting was as good as usual and his portrayal of someone slowly losing his mind and talking to the store dummies was uncomfortably mesmeric, the ending as stated before was the bad point, though I have heard since they made an alternate ending. 4/5

Capote

Opposite to the above film the start of this was irritating to the extreme, that high pitched camp voice was worth persevering with however as Philip Seymour Hoffman gives a deserved Oscar winning performance and those of you not familiar with the book will love how the film gently uncovers the 'what really happened' of a true mass murder. 5/5

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull

I don't know why I sat through it, its Harrison Ford trying to become a elderly aged pension action star, this film was predictable, bad writing and very poor ending 's 1/5

Iron Man

Same as the above a middle aged man that can't get over the ego of being cool for the kiddies, this one wasn't interesting at all, we've seen it all before 1/5

Edited by Swish

Horror time

Day of the dead - 2 out of 5. Im a big fan of the dawn movies and although I didnt think this would be as good, I heard it was still a classic. The movie took forever to get going and hence was generally boring. Only at the end did we see some zombie hunting. Very dissapointing.

I beg to differ.

This is still a Romero classic, the gore was brilliant and the beginning is artistic. It was near Dawn and better than Night. 4.5/5

Edited by Swish

Isn't it time for a new release block buster new movie with fantastic sound and PQ. Instead of all these releases of old movies on BD.

Something we can all get excited about and put on our must have list.

Something like LOTR!

The Incredible Hulk

Saw this on Saturday night and I'm a big Hulk fan from collecting the comic (still do at age 35 ) . Well I must say it's a better attempt than the last one but still misses the mark. All is well at the start and for the next 35-40mins the movie is pretty good but the pacing and editing is average and theres a slow patch in the middle which most will be fast forwarding when the dvd/BD comes out. The effects are a mixed bag with the Hulk looking really good early on then for some reason you feel the CGI could be better. As usual you get Hulk fighting the army but they do bring in some weapons that aren't on the normal list which was a nice surprise. Now for the most disappointing part for me that is and thats the fight at the end. There is a great build up to it and finally the Hulk is up against something that can hurt him and even defeat him....The Abomination. On paper he is actually stronger than the Hulk but as all fans know the angrier Hulk gets the stronger he gets but unfortunalty that is never mentioned in this version. Not sure if I like what they did with the look of the Abomination,the top half is ok but the bottom part looks like an oversized action figure. If your looking forward to seeing 2 gamma radiated beings slugging it out in a city then look else where as they rarely have screen time together and are constantly seperated and as usual humans get invloved and thats that. It's clear from reading on the net that the director has more in store for us but decided to cut alot out. I read that he has 70mins of finished footage. So much for the promised 25min fight b/w the two monsters that he was selling before the movie was released. Oh well I still give it 3.5/5. Should sound great on BD.

30 Days of Night

Plot: Classic theme, killers (vampires in this cases) preying on a bunch of trapped people, and they slowly die off. How they beat the vampires and survive is the usual stroy. The twist is that the towns remains dark for 30 full days. 3/5

Action: the usual shocks are there, but the final confrontation is novel, and the Blu Ray disc is a fine demo piece, with lots of ambient sounds and awesome bass. It confirms my suspicion that many times, the best test of a good HT system is in the use of surrounds coupled with a few good bass scenes from the soundtrack rather than explosion. 4/5

Chick factor: not great with just one fire marshal 2.5/5

Rent buy or forget it: at least a rental for the bass scenes

Sunshine

Plot: Another Solaris meets Oddessy 2001 kind of show, with a plot akin to the Core and even Armageddon. But how they put the suspense together is not bad. 3.5/5

Action: Its more of a thriller and you enjoy the good use of bass in the moments of suspense to heighten the mood 3/5

Chick factor - poor 1.5/5

Rent buy or forget it: worth a rental for good plot design and the bass demo scenes.

Ok people another short review by me!!!

Get Smart

Saw this tonight and was pleasantly surprised, Steve Carell was okay as Maxwell Smart, but Anne Hathaway was very good as 99, down to the small nuances, very well done.

Some nice cameos, the plot was okay, Terence Stamp was not a good Siegfried (IMO) but "the fat guy from Borat" was funny as Shtarker.

Overall the movie moves along at a nice pace, if it wasnt for the character names and occasional Max one-liners you wouldn't really think you were watching Get Smart, but, I suppose was there much more to the TV series than that???

I enjoyed it, I'm sure if you are a fan of the series you will get a kick out of it.

I beg to differ.

This is still a Romero classic, the gore was brilliant and the beginning is artistic. It was near Dawn and better than Night. 4.5/5

If this is a 4.5/5 then im a Chinaman. (although no one knows what I look like so I may be a chinaman)

in any event IMHO this movie isnt a patch on Dawn and realistically I thought other than the end, it was pretty crap.

Kung Fu Panda

I watched this, last weekend, at the cinema with the family, basically a "kids flick."

You know how some animation is written for all ages, well this is basically directed toward a younger age group.

The animation was quite impressive, and would look impressive in HD.

"I think it's about average. I think it's beautiful to look at. The computer animation is marvellous, as you say, and I think the voice cast is interesting, and it's occasionally quite funny. "

http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s2263966.htm

Planet Terror"--hired this movie, --- thought it was rubbish, --certainly not worth buying.

Cheers, GTO.