Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly About

• 2 weeks later...

Ford vs Ferrari: somewhat cliched, two mavericks up against the system (Ford)

only * * * I’m afraid, worth a look I suppose, some fun wisecracks through the movie, Christian Bale quite good.

Some background reading

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_24_Hours_of_Le_Mans

the GT40 was a cool looking machine, but god, those Ferraris looked fantastic!

• 3 weeks later...

First Man Movie Review

I recently picked it up on 4k UHD and well, it's a blast

Now astronaut movies tend towards the heroic, with great bravado, and many last minute by the skin of your teeth moments, and yes it does deliver in this aspect in heaps, but this movie is a lot more than just thrills and spills. 

My first impression of astronaut movies was "The Right Stuff" a movie which chronicles the adventures of early space exploration, and Apollo 13 starring Tom Hanks and co reinforced this impression of astronauts as cool dudes who performed well under pressure and can do crazy calculations to save their crew with just a slide rule. 

But this movie gives a different perspective and gave me a new found admiration of men in space and Neil in particular.

They may have taken some artistic license with his moments on the moon but the movie focuses on him as sensitive man, a family man and a quiet man. If there was a strong silent type, I now associate it with Neil Armstrong. Buzz on the other hand was portray in a less than positive light and I hope it was just the movie makers trying to give some contrast, but it seems he resented not being first on the moon instead of appreciating that he was the second man.

Action and surround sound fans will not have to worry. Despite the dramatic moments, there are many reason to get this as a demo disc. Not only for the booming rockets, but for the moments of silence and the claustrophobic moments in the capsule and the test flights. The soundtrack is another highlight and it's worth your money to get it.

The role of his wife went to Claire Foy and she does more than just play a wife. With the few moments she has, she steals the show and they play off each other nicely. 

A solid 4.5 and for space movie lovers, this is a keeper. 

image.png.bf03cd0e4c2b7135da62ed66add40dba.png

Just play the landing scene... gripping to the 10th degree and the emotional ending was a very poignant moment 

Edited by petetherock
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Uncut Gems -

This movie has been getting a lot of praise as of late. I think it really is deserving for the most part. Adam Sandler kills it here and it really reminds us of what he is capable of when he takes on a decent role and when he works with competent people who know what they are doing. It shows us the ugly side of a gambling addiction, moreso than I feel we get to see in most movies about this topic. A lot of it works but then theres some instances where I was ready to zone out, some of the supporting cast are also great. Having never seen a Safdie brothers film before I was pleasantly surprised by this. I'd recommend this to anyone who was thinking of it, but maybe reigning in some of your expectations.

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Extraction - 7/10

A little simple, but some good action sequences. I should maybe go 6½ as I did get a little distracted with my phone at times, so I was totally gripped, but worth a watch.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, denj said:

Extraction - 7/10

A little simple, but some good action sequences. I should maybe go 6½ as I did get a little distracted with my phone at times, so I was totally gripped, but worth a watch.

I'd give it a solid 7 :)

• 1 month later...

So this one caught me by surprise.

In short: A documentary on surfing.

It focuses on the surfers who came on the scene in the 90's and subsequently took over and shaped surfing as most now know it.

This is coming from someone who doesn't watch surfing and only knows (well..knew) the name, "Kelly Slater."

It was funny, real, rough, inspiring and ultimately, a damn good watch.

MV5BMTczMDYxMTU5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDAwNDE3NjM@._V1_.jpg

Lockdown and plenty of time for movies

A gift subscription of Netflix allowed me to catch a few movies:

In this difficult period, I prefer the no brainer, leave the IQ at the door type of shows, so here's what I watched:

(bear in mind some of these shows have some gratuitous and IMHO, unnecessary sex scenes)

Polar
Retired hitman gets targetted by his employer to save on his super... 

Good acting by the reliable Danish with some decent action and some indecent bits, not for viewing with the kids

Underground 6

Rich Ryan Reynolds funds a hit team who takes out baddies

Some very cool driving and fancy stunts. The ensemble cast is MNC and I wish they replaced the actors in Money Heist.

Extraction
Chris  Hemsworth takes off his Thor cap and does the Man Under Fire movie sans the fancy acting, replace Dakota Fanning with Rudhraksh Jaiswal and keep the budget down, but don't scrimp on the stunts and action. This one is the best of the lot IMO.

• Like 2

I watched this film last night. I remember hearing about this film back in 2012 and really wanted to see it but never got round to it. I'd forgot all about the film and noticed it as a cheap rental on Apple TV. 

It's an intense and uncomfortable film about a stalker. 

3/5

1*_AJgAn1FuoqBAy-YgFDXJQ.thumb.jpg.4be6cc42dc28e890954b09d9f486107e.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to the Stranger Things franchise, but I highly recommend it.
Good acting from the mainly kiddie cast, and strong performances from the adults too. It's a sci-fi plot, with monsters, other worlds and such, but it's also a small town story so think Super 8 mated with Orange County mated with Stand By Me and it pays homage to other sci-fi works too.
The kids are really good and Winona Ryder was also a casting coup.
The second season starts a bit slow, but I will still recommend it.

4/5

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is a wonderful movie and continues MBB's run of successes. It was a refreshing take on Holmes, and her wide-eye innocence was magical: https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/09/enola-holmes-movie-review.html

What a rousing soundtrack too... 

Edited by petetherock
  • Like 2