Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly About

23 minutes ago, stevoz said:

....and here is one of the best.?

Image result for top secret movie gif

Last time I watched this with my mates, you could see these guys were having as much fun as we had. Just they had to suppress their laughs somehow (not that they managed real well).

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 2

The Deer Hunter....say no more!?

But I will?......This movie had a profound effect on me. I was 18 at the time. I went and saw it again the next day. I just had to have all my questions answered and hoped it turned out differently!? A great and powerful movie, the direction was superb and the acting was astounding! I already knew how good DeNiro was but left thinking where did these actors Meryl Streep (in her first really major role) and Christopher Walken (also one of his first major film roles after frequent previous TV appearences) pop up from? They were phenomenal! I had Streep pegged for future Academy Awards from that day forward......while nominated for this, she missed the Best Supporting Actress gong but Walken got the Best Supporting Actor award and it was richly deserved. The rest of the cast was amazing as well particularly John Cazale.....and the story? Profoundly powerful......

A stunning movie experience!

Honourable mention: Shawshank Redemption......but doesn't everyone say that??

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 3

Last time I watched this with my mates, you could see these guys were having as much fun as we had. Just they had to suppress their laughs somehow (not that they managed real well).

Cheers,

Alberto

What is the name of this movie please ?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 24/09/2018 at 5:02 PM, stevoz said:

The Deer Hunter....say no more!?

But I will?......This movie had a profound effect on me. I was 18 at the time. I went and saw it again the next day. I just had to have all my questions answered and hoped it turned out differently!? A great and powerful movie, the direction was superb and the acting was astounding! I already knew how good DeNiro was but left thinking where did these actors Meryl Streep (in her first really major role) and Christopher Walken (also one of his first major film roles after frequent previous TV appearences) pop up from? They were phenomenal! I had Streep pegged for future Academy Awards from that day forward......while nominated for this, she missed the Best Supporting Actress gong but Walken got the Best Supporting Actor award and it was richly deserved. The rest of the cast was amazing as well particularly John Cazale.....and the story? Profoundly powerful......

A stunning movie experience!

Honourable mention: Shawshank Redemption......but doesn't everyone say that??

Oh yeah. I've seen it many times over the decades on TV's of various generations and various formats, and enjoyed it. I recently got my home cinema done, and got the UHD. Seeing it on a projector with good sound was like I was seeing it for the first time. And the story. I'm much older now than when I first saw it, and I found the story so devestating at the ruined lives, and underlying pain, and combined with the majestic presentation I was seeing, I was weeping at the end.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A Quiet Place

This is one of the most striking sci-fi/post apocalypse movies I have ever seen. Once it ended I realised I had been physically tense the entire running length of the film. That rare when you consider how many of these movies I have seen.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

An earlier poster said this movie had the best writing and dialogue of any movie in a long time. I concur. Those letters by Woody Harrelson...

Logan

Even if you hate superhero movies you must give this one a try. Very unlike any of the other X-Men films. Deadly serious and very dark.

Gone Girl

A David Fincher masterpiece. It was disturbing and had me thinking all night. Very cleverly scripted.

The Bourne Legacy

This is the odd one out, the Bourne movie with Jeremy Renner instead of Matt Damon. For that reason i put off watching it for years. A mistake, it was very good and a welcome change of pace.

Edited by agisthos

9 hours ago, agisthos said:

A Quiet Place

This is one of the most striking sci-fi/post apocalypse movies I have ever seen. Once it ended I realised I had been physically tense the entire running length of the film. That rare when you consider how many of these movies I have seen.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

An earlier poster said this movie had the best writing and dialogue of any movie in a long time. I concur. Those letters by Woody Harrelson...

Logan

Even if you hate superhero movies you must give this one a try. Very unlike any of the other X-Men films. Deadly serious and very dark.

Gone Girl

A David Fincher masterpiece. It was disturbing and had me thinking all night. Very cleverly scripted.

The Bourne Legacy

This is the odd one out, the Bourne movie with Jeremy Renner instead of Matt Damon. For that reason i put off watching it for years. A mistake, it was very good and a welcome change of pace.

I plan to see three of the first four (and Logan maybe....) but I was in the same boat as you with The Bourne Legacy. I put it off for ages for the same reason....and yes, it was a mistake. I thought it was great, enjoyed it a lot.?

I watched Blackkklansman last night. Really good, without excessive or unnecessary swearing in my opinion. It has funny moments, but at some point I was at the edge of my seat all the time. Nice to see Adam Driver play his role, and music is also pretty good.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Trash - movie review
Just watched and it's one heck of a ride. 
It's a Brazilian / US production, with two Hollywood stars throw in, plus some fine actors from Brazil. But the stars are the kids. They exhibit a great deal of maturity, depth and range of emotions and should have been awarded Oscars IMO.

A man steals evidence of crime from his employer who is a corrupt politician and the wallet containing the evidence lands in the hands of these kids, who could have taken the simple route, take  the loose change in the wallet, then return the wallet for a reward. Instead they do what's right, and that sets the cops and one particularly sinister one after them. 

Through the chase, you see the range of emotions, from fear, to doubt and then resolve and courage to do what's right, even in the face of such imminent danger and odds. You also see a vignette of the poor in Brazil, the lives and surroundings of where they live. It makes for an even greater contrast to what they are up against and the dialogue which is part Portuguese and part English is snappy and realistic.

Not a "French Connection" or "No Country For Old Men", the performances are sterling and deserve recognition.

Highly recommended. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Recently I watched 'An American in Paris' - a 1951 music film, directed by Vincent Minnelli. The film is considered one of the most popular movie music. It was interesting to see the old musical, how the choreography was set and what kind of music was used. Of course, there is a discord with the current films, but still this is an interesting movie for fans. This film gave me some thoughts and with its help I was able to understand how to write a movie review (also with the tips from https://au.essayshark.com/), as it broadened my horizons in this matter.

Edited by esvick

Fortress Poster

I am a huge devotee of the Oz movie industry. We may not  have the budgets of Hollywood or  the resources but what we do have is the talent.. talent that Hollywood has been seeking and using for decades. 

The Fortress is a hidden gem I found recently. Low budget it is but dont let that deter you. This is a little ripper of a story well written, directed and acted. Leading the way is Mrs Bryan Brown.. the delectable Rachel Ward who plays a regional school teacher who must take up arms to defeat a group of low lifes that kidnap her and her students for ransom. I  rank The Fortress 8/10.

3 hours ago, cultfilman said:

Fortress Poster

I am a huge devotee of the Oz movie industry. We may not  have the budgets of Hollywood or  the resources but what we do have is the talent.. talent that Hollywood has been seeking and using for decades. 

The Fortress is a hidden gem I found recently. Low budget it is but dont let that deter you. This is a little ripper of a story well written, directed and acted. Leading the way is Mrs Bryan Brown.. the delectable Rachel Ward who plays a regional school teacher who must take up arms to defeat a group of low lifes that kidnap her and her students for ransom. I  rank The Fortress 8/10.

I believe that is loosely based on or at least inspired by the Faraday school kidnapping here in Victoria. Faraday is about ten minutes away from where I live. The school was shutdown years ago and I did my nursing training with the sister of one of the students who was kidnapped.

I must check that movie out one day.....?

23 hours ago, stevoz said:

I believe that is loosely based on or at least inspired by the Faraday school kidnapping here in Victoria. Faraday is about ten minutes away from where I live. The school was shutdown years ago and I did my nursing training with the sister of one of the students who was kidnapped.

I must check that movie out one day.....

Really. Must look into that. I have  a copy of The Fortress if interested.

Edited by cultfilman

2:22 (2017)

Not sure this Oz flick deserved the negative reviews.. I rank it 8/10

This critque  was the exception "A clever, roller-coaster thriller with good casting, locations, cinematography and a breathtaking soundtrack used to the best possible effect make this a welcome addition to the stable of movies that you wouldn’t usually watch because of all the naysayers, but are glad you did once you do".

Edited by cultfilman
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, warweary said:

I recently watched the pair of climbing movies Free Solo and Meru.  Such riveting stuff keeping me on the edge of my cliff like seat.

I'm not too comfortable with heights......I've seen the trailer and I'm not sure I could even sit through Free Solo.?

Mother and Child

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mother_and_child/

a bit too long and a bit late to introduce plot points (eg major developments towards the end of 2nd third do it a bit of disservice) however packs quite a punch emotionally and dramatically. Annette Bening - I doubt has ever acted better than here. A well rounded powerhouse of a film and wouldn't expect any less from writer/director Rodrigo Garca and executive producer Alejandro Gonzlez Irritu, as well as a kickass cast Samuel L. Jackson, Naomi Watts, Annette Bening, Kerry Washington, Jimmy Smits,  and others (too many to mention). Cannot believe I haven't seen it before (produced 2009/2010). Available on SBS OnDemand and on Netflix.

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

I'm not too comfortable with heights......I've seen the trailer and I'm not sure I could even sit through Free Solo.?

I highly recommend both of these!! Watch them on the biggest screen you can find!!

Mountain and The Dawn Wall