petetherock

Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly About

2D also. 3D is a bit too much to ask a three year old to wear glasses for 90 minutes Ruth.

You get a good yarn, enough action to keep action fans happy, although it was not end to end stuff, and humor too, which kept the pace tight, and light whilst allowing for a few angst filled moments to slow the tempo down a little.
Chick factor was ok, and Fan Bing Bing will keep fans in China happy, and she worked hard to avoid just showing up to ensure that the show goes through in China.
BTW, one of the Mutants looked like a character from Tron, the chap with the black makeup around his eyes. Warpath?

And I like the Roberta Flack "first time when i saw your face" song too... nice

This will be a solid demo Blu Ray, as the surrounds were working well and there was copious chest thumping and ground shaking bass.
The movie is recommended and I look forward to the disc too.
Story 4/5 Action 4/5
Watch it and buy it.

http://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2014/05/x-men-days-of-future-past-movie-review.html

x-men-dofp-international-poster.jpg

I watched Lone Survivor on Friday night and have to say it's the first movie that I've really enjoyed in a while. Top quality video and amazing surround effects with bullets whizzing past and helicopters flying over. It didn't get caught up in the cheesy stuff (couple of small parts), a few small funny parts, but overall the story was intense. Worth watching the extras to see how it was all done.

Will definitely be watching this one 3 or 4 times with friends who haven't seen it yet. Sorry, this is sounding more like a review but as the thread title suggests, I really haven't gotten into a movie this much for a long time.

Saw Calvary on Saturday night @ NOVA in Carlton

Great to see a mature drama again, great plot, great character development.

I'm so over false gods, car crashes & explosions at the moment.

saw sunshine on leith over the weekend, quite enjoyable.

I watched Lone Survivor on Friday night and have to say it's the first movie that I've really enjoyed in a while. Top quality video and amazing surround effects with bullets whizzing past and helicopters flying over. It didn't get caught up in the cheesy stuff (couple of small parts), a few small funny parts, but overall the story was intense. Worth watching the extras to see how it was all done.

Will definitely be watching this one 3 or 4 times with friends who haven't seen it yet. Sorry, this is sounding more like a review but as the thread title suggests, I really haven't gotten into a movie this much for a long time.

Watched this last night and was blown away. Keen to read the book now but the extras are fantastic and the first time I've sat and watched the entire lot. PQ/AQ are first class, a new disc for showing off bass.

Watched this last night and was blown away. Keen to read the book now but the extras are fantastic and the first time I've sat and watched the entire lot. PQ/AQ are first class, a new disc for showing off bass.

Yep, agree! Extras weren't drawn out too long, went for an hour total and backed up the movie well.

I loved all the landscape shots of mountains and the army base at sunset.... and the sound of those helicopters.... wow.

Guardians of the Galaxy Movie Review

So what makes a good action movie and does Guardians of the Galaxy have the ingredients?

You have action by the loads – check

Funny lines and snappy dialogue – check

Underdogs fighting against overwhelming odds or a very powerful opponent – check

Swashbuckling – check

A little romance, yet it doesn’t overwhelm the plot – check

So you have an ensemble movie, set in space, with a plot not unlike a half dozen others, where a young Terra man gets brought up to be a space scavenger, but really ends up doing incredible things to save the world or in this case, the universe Along the way, he picks up more oddball characters and side kicks plus the inevitable romantic connection, which comes in the form of a green and very feisty Zoe Saldana, who prefers to kick than kiss him. True romance doesn’t run smooth …

The gold standard for the devil may care, swashbuckling, dashing anti-hero is Hans Solo, played to perfection by the young Harrison Ford. Buck Rogers was a distant second, and you need a person who has that effortless ability to carry off this combination well for the movie to hang together. Then the other characters all fit in.

Using Stars Wars as the analogy, you have the Chewbacca in the form of Groot, the Ent-like character who has less lines than old Arnie did in the first terminator, which suits Vin Diesel well.. He plays a tree like creature with interesting powers. He in turn is the trusty companion and side kick of and a talking raccoon, which probably has the highest IQ of the group. There is also a vengeance element, played by a very menacing, and muscular ex MMA sort, that likes to take things literally and call Zoe the ‘whore’..

The feisty Princess type comes in the form of Zoe, and we also the powerful Darth Vader villain sort, which is well fleshed out by the Accuser. This Accuser, is one mean guy with lots of power, an ego to match who is bent on doom and destruction.

So technically it should succeed and bring it the crowds. It does succeed to a certain extent, and it’s funny, action packed but…

So what’s the BUT…

Chris Pratt tries his best to strut, talk and fight his way to stardom- literally, but he is not Hans Solo, and somehow I feel I have seen or heard parts of the movie elsewhere before. Even so, it’s still a very enjoyable 2 hour distraction, with plenty of funny scenes, and action to keep us distracted, but it won’t make it into the same revered category as Star Wars or Indiana Jones, two movies it borrows heavily from. Neither will it have the nostalgia of The Last Starfighter, as most viewers will not have read the comic. However to be honest I am glad the plot moves along well, with good pacing and chemistry between the actors, and more importantly you don’t need to have done homework and read the comic to follow the plot.

For me, the highlight was the accompanying music, and the first scene when we first encounter the adult Starlord, and the music he plays as he recovers the Orb. I for one, will be buying the soundtrack first, and possible the BR disc, especially since this movie was processed in Dolby Atmos.

The movie is recommended and I look forward to the disc too.

Story 3/5

Action 4/5

Chicks who look good – ok ok

Watch it and buy the BR disc for the surround.

Groot is cool, but I would prefer a hotter lady lead... Scarlett J perhaps?

Or Keira Knightley?

Wikipedia says male... hmm...

Watched The Bourne Legacy last week after purchasing at the bargain basement price of $7 from Amazon.

Very pleasantly surprised from an entertainment point of view. Some reference video and awesome action sequences :)

Surprised that there hasn't been any chitter chat about this one :hmm:

It was decent, and I love the Arcteryx Alpha SV jacket that he wore...

Watched The Bourne Legacy last week after purchasing at the bargain basement price of $7 from Amazon.

Very pleasantly surprised from an entertainment point of view. Some reference video and awesome action sequences :)

Surprised that there hasn't been any chitter chat about this one :hmm:

Yeah I liked it a lot, fast paced and good action, only complaint I have would be the ending, just leaves one hanging for the next instalment. Video and audio excellent, might watch it again right now, thanks Ruth ?

Yep good flick Ruth. Watched it on the GC when I was away at a trade show. Really enjoyed it.

The alpine scenes were amazing. The opening shot of the icy stream spilling into the lake was breathtakingly realistic. Made me shiver :o

The red jacket (as Pete mentioned), provided extra contrast to the stark brilliant white of the snow.

I was hoping there would be another one on the horizon, but I can't find anything.

Noob here but looking forward to seeing this Guardians) on the weekend.

Mate you won't regret it ... I loved it!

A little jealous actually, your in for a treat.

We loved it too :)

Lashed out for the Gold Lounge and dinner to watch it last night. Really entertaining with instantly likeable main characters.

We will have to wait until 2017 though for the next instalment :no:

I think I will be happy until then with rewatching this first one ... I hope they do an early BD release to stave off the illegal downloading

I can feel a Christmas release coming on :logik:

How'd you rate it for an 8 yr old? My son is a smart little bugger and wants to go see it. Happy for him to watch Hobbits, Star Wars, Transformers (although the pointless one off F Bombs in the last two are very disappointing to what I see as kids films basically) etc etc

Saw GOTG yesterday.

Absolutely LOVED it, definitely my favorite Marvel movie alongside The First Avenger.

Will be seeing it multiple times at the cinema. What a killer soundtrack!

Watched Chef a few days ago.

Wasnt expecting much but was very impressed.

I don't recall any nudity or f bombs.

But I don't mind such stuff, so might have missed it.

ITs Marvel comics so should be fine

Thanks chops. He has most of the Marvel movies so should be fine. I'm not opposed to f bombs and nudity but find it totally unnecessary in a Transformers movie.

It was a PG release, there was almost an F bomb, almost a middle finger... that's it... with or without it, it was fine...

Yes... It was an ad lib by Chris...

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday and it was great but now Iiiiii'm hooked on a feeling!