petetherock

Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly About

Wonder if the movie will kill off the Sarah Connor Chronicles TV series 3 which has been supposedly axed.

Waiting to see the movie loved the TV series bar from a few very lame episodes.

Would love to check out Cameron's Nuclear Power Supply. :D

STATE OF PLAY - Rusty Crowe, Rachel McAdams, Ben Affleck, Robin Wright Penn

Excellent "who dun it" or should I say "who planned it" that only takes about 5 mins in to have you fully immersed. Fantastic score, tension filled scenes and fast pacing makes this compelling viewing. Rusty (as Washington newspaper reporter investigating a murder of a young woman) just never lets you down - even the American accent disappears quickly. Ben Affleck (wooden as usual) is an old friend - now Congressman. Very little romance, action when it's needed and lots of good acting

Enough said.

Movie : 4/5

PQ: : reasonably dull at Readings, almost seemed slightly out of focus 3/5

AQ: : fantastic 4/5

Hiya

A big surprise movie for me was Pans Labyrinth.

I new nothing about this movie except that it was not for kids even though the cover looked like that sort of movie.

I just turned it on for a quick look and found that i could not leave it.

The Picture is 10 out 10 Soundtrack 10 out 10

I think that alot of people wont watch this because it is in spanish with english subtitles a fact i did not know about when i bought it and if i did i might not have bought it and it would have been my lose.

A Fantastic film.

http://www.koreanmovie.com/upfile/photo_ph..._an_Agent01.jpg

My Girlfriend is an Agent Its travelling time again and also time to catch up on the latest shows....

First up, I will not wait til the end to tell you, watch, or buy this.

It looks similar in vein to the older "My Sassy Girl" or "My Wife is a Gangster" genre, but it is packed with action, humor and just the right amount of romance to make this work. Add a super gorgeous and yet demure girl who kicks butts for breakfast then looks lovingly at you. Mix in the idiotic Korean hapless chap (which BTW is is pretty much the opposite of reality i Korean) and with good chemistry between the actors, this show works.

You do get a glimpse of how corperate world in Korea works and its hierachy, amidst the fun and action, but since it is keep superficial it gets its point across without being too heavy.

It comes as no surprise that this show was no 1 in Korea, with the keen pacing, twists and good humor to keep it going well.

Plot: usual lady isn't what she seems to be, spy / travel agent girlfriend, but watch for the twists etc 4/5

Action: plenty to satisfy the action buffs and it should be a fine workout on video for your HT system 4/5

Chick facotr : A1 with plenty of eye candy, although I am not sure if everyone wants their GF to be like her... 4/5

So yes, buy or at least rent this....

i'm currently trying to get through the BBC series 1 of Demons ^_^

so far it looks ok ish, but only seen 2 episodes

it's about a teen decendant of the Van Helsings :rolleyes:

kind of like a very bad Buffy type thing

International

Clive Owen makes a good living out of acting in suspense thriller, cum espionage type movies, and he excels in this one. The political thriller with the bad guy being a bank is a fresh angle. The ingredients of a good thriller are all here, snappy storyline, tight editing, and a clever chemistry with Naomi Watts make this an above average show. There are subplots and twists to keep things interesting.

There is action, believable plot which all adds up to a smart plot. There is no chick factor, but you don’t really need this for such a story. I would recommend this for a nice rental at least.

Race to Witch Mountain 2009

This is a fast paced sci fi movie meant for the kids, but with enough action, humor and thrills to impress the accompanying parents too. It is a remake of an older 70s hit from Walt Disney which I enjoyed as a child. The newer blockbuster is filled with action and fancy new CGI, but the human element, which is what makes this movie distinctive from the rest is diluted here in favor of the thrills and spills and effects. Still it makes for a decent enough distraction for a Sunday rental, although not enough for a purchase, it is still a fun filled ride.

Pink Panther II

The press says this movie was awful. Well, I felt it was awfully… funny and silly. This movie will never make it into any awards, but it is a fun, and pleasant diversion for an hour and a half. Steven Martin and Jean Reno combine well, with ridiculous cameos by Jeremy Irons, Baldwin, many others. The jokes are not crass, crude, and perhaps that may not appeal to those looking for the Jim Carrey style or Coen brothers kind of humor.

The plot is almost secondary to produce the silly antics to make Steve Martin look stupid, or good, depending on which part of the storyline we are at. It is no wonder that the press dislike it, there is not much depth to the plot, its pretty much a laugh a minute kind of movie, that you will forget soon after it ends.

Plot: 2.5/5

Chick factor: A Rai and Nicole try to spice it up but its sort of a token eye candy with Steve Martin meant to soak up all the attention. 2.5/5

Action: little again, with verbal jousting and humorous acting being the order of the day 2.5/5

So should you even rent this? I would say you may not want to own it, but it is definitely worth a rent, and a good laugh on a dull Sunday afternoon.

Fast and Furious

Vin Diesel has had a checkered movie career so far, with quite a few hits but he has been bogged down by some rather nasty an expensive misses. What better way than to go back to his roots with a modest production in a series where he made it big? Car enthusiasts will like this and there are enough of them to lap this up and forget the holes in the plot, the acting and just enjoy the action, the babes and the cars. All your basic ABCs…

You are aware this is not a massive budget show, with less fancy CGI, less cars and mayhem than other recent hits. Yet, the live action scenes have their appeal, and Vin plus to a lesser extent Paul Walker carries the show well. Paul Walker needs to have a wider range of expression than his angst look and will hope the success of this show brings him to better offers. But he must have more to offer by then.

Plot: 2.5/5

Action 3.5/5

Chick factor: no car movie is complete with a bevy of babes and yes, they did get quite a few to fill up the screen. 4/5

So rent / buy / forget it?

I know a few guys who follow this series and even a girl who would not miss it. Just the sound of those high octane engines and American muscle cars will suffice, so I believe this movie deserves a rental.

Sky Crawlers

Just spent an afternoon on this...

Despite some recommendations, this anime does not quite do it for me. My take on it?

It tries too hard. Instead of a simple action war movie, it tries to do moods, interactions in the abstract (think Ghost in the Shell II) and throws all this into a war movie plot which seems based in WWII but the viewer isn't told.

Plot 1.5/5

Action: there is a deliberate sound processing, and the Japs know what they are doing, but it is engineered to impress, but may not be natural. The bass heads won't mind, but if you expect clean ambience, surround effects, it will not feel like BOB, Ben Button or some of the mixes recently which add bass to solid ambience. 3.5/5

Chick factor: well... kodoma "Kildren" and strange pepperings of sexual encouters don't quite gel with the usual, but hey this is a Japanese production...

Worth a rent? If you are a fan of anime and Metropolitan or Ghost, this is definitely up your alley. If you are expecting "Flyboys" in Japanese, then you will be disappointed.

Superbad - So wrong on so many levels!

I thought that was the title of the movie until I watched it last week - hindsight revealed it was actually the star rating.