Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly About

3 hours ago, warweary said:

I recently watched the pair of climbing movies Free Solo and Meru.  Such riveting stuff keeping me on the edge of my cliff like seat.

Free Solo is amazing, nobody could do that climb without Aspergers! You will also like 'Dawn Wall' on Netflix

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevoz said:

I'm not too comfortable with heights......I've seen the trailer and I'm not sure I could even sit through Free Solo.?

Climbing films are tricky to get that balance that interests a wide audience (rather than climbers). Saw it at IMAX - it really was a fantastic movie/doco and Alex' character (and his GF relationship!) really tops it off. I was a reasonably handy climber in my youth and this is so impressive and such an unimaginable achievement and I also found it "exciting" to watch on the big screen. The Dawn Wall is (considerably harder climb) but in another way is also great and the teamwork between Kevin and Tommy is really ace.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

Free Solo is amazing, nobody could do that climb without Aspergers! You will also like 'Dawn Wall' on Netflix

That explains a lot! I actually think that most of the world's leading scientific researchers and genius's in general have Aspergers.....they are so focussed!

8 minutes ago, stevoz said:

That explains a lot! I actually think that most of the world's leading scientific researchers and genius's in general have Aspergers.....they are so focussed!

focused, and no fear and a big pain threshold

• Like 1

My son who turns 30 soon and was diagnosed with Aspergers in mid 1989 which wasn't that long after Aspergers was officially recognised as a character trait(although Dr Asperger published much material in the 50's which has now been kind of been discredited due to his Nazi background and indeed the manner in which his findings were procured)would just be shaking his head at the term 'Aspie' and the generalisations going on here.

It was a good thing when Dr Asperger was outed and the term was officially done away with and 'within the autism spectrum' was brought in. High functioning is a much more precise and also less defining term.

We've never called him an 'Aspie' and he never uses the term although he recognises that people who don't live with it seem to think it's a nice colloquial term to use...it's not, trust me. You shouldn't hear a single modern teacher or tutor using the term ever unless it's to explain why it's no longer used as a definition.

"Hi, this is Fred Bloggs, he's an Aspie btw."    That's what's it sounds like, is interpreted by someone who is high functioning in the spectrum. How do I know? Well he's sitting next to me sharing a beer as I type.

He's rolled his eyes as I've clicked back through the comments.

It's water off a ducks back to both of us but maybe in the future you guys might want to think about how you describe someone in 'the spectrum'..like describe them as being "in the spectrum", it's a nicer term trust me. Don't get us started on 'Autistic' !?

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone see mother!? Geez I think the affect on the viewer may all depend on your personality.

I'm more than a bit of an introvert, so I started getting ultra uncomfortable as soon as the couple showed up. By the end it felt like it was my idea of what hell would be like for me... I was a nervous wreck half way through it, and my state of mind did not improve by the end of it...  But if I was in that situation, I'd have walked after the husband left for the hospital.

On the Australian UHD release, on my Panasonic 9000, Anthem 1120, for some reason selecting atmos on the setup menu only gave 5.1 so I had to just bring up the system audio menu in playback and select track 1 (which was already showing). Very odd

268x0w.jpg

I borrowed the blu-ray of this movie from my local library, and watched it last weekend. 

This film is based on the true story of Eric Lomax, a British soldier taken prisoner by the Japanese at the fall of Singapore in 1942 and sent to work on the Thai-Burma railway, where he was tortured by his captors, but was eventually liberated by the British and returned home. He meets and marries his wife Patti in 1980, but is deeply affected by his wartime experiences, which affects the relationship.

The film is about how he works through this problem, eventually travelling back to Thailand where he meets, confronts and reconciles with one of the Japanese guards who tortured him in the war, but who now works as a tourist guide.

It stars Colin Firth as Eric Lomax, Nicole Kidman as his wife Patti and Hiroyuki Sanada as the man who tortured him Takashi Nagase, with younger actors playing the roles of Eric Lomax and Takashi Nagase in the WWII scenes. I didn't know this was based on a true story until the very end of the film, when that was revealed.

When I started watching this film I wasn't sure if I was going to like it, but it very quickly drew me in. Most people would know Colin Firth from his performance in the King's Speech, and his performance here is every bit as good, if not better. He gives a powerful and masterful performance that I found quite riveting. Nicole Kidman is well cast as his wife, and also gives a fine performance, as does Hiroyuki Sanada, although he only makes his appearance in the latter part of the film (which is quite appropriate to the story).

The film is a 2013 British/Australian co-production. It is filmed both in the UK and Thailand at the place where the events took place in WWII. The film starts out in the UK well after the end of the war, with flashback scenes to  the events of 1942. These become more frequent as the film progresses, and set the scene for the final confrontation and reconciliation in Thailand.

I can highly recommend this film if you haven't seen it yet.

On 29/03/2019 at 10:42 PM, Luc said:

My son who turns 30 soon and was diagnosed with Aspergers in mid 1989 which wasn't that long after Aspergers was officially recognised as a character trait(although Dr Asperger published much material in the 50's which has now been kind of been discredited due to his Nazi background and indeed the manner in which his findings were procured)would just be shaking his head at the term 'Aspie' and the generalisations going on here.

It was a good thing when Dr Asperger was outed and the term was officially done away with and 'within the autism spectrum' was brought in. High functioning is a much more precise and also less defining term.

We've never called him an 'Aspie' and he never uses the term although he recognises that people who don't live with it seem to think it's a nice colloquial term to use...it's not, trust me. You shouldn't hear a single modern teacher or tutor using the term ever unless it's to explain why it's no longer used as a definition.

"Hi, this is Fred Bloggs, he's an Aspie btw."    That's what's it sounds like, is interpreted by someone who is high functioning in the spectrum. How do I know? Well he's sitting next to me sharing a beer as I type.

He's rolled his eyes as I've clicked back through the comments.

It's water off a ducks back to both of us but maybe in the future you guys might want to think about how you describe someone in 'the spectrum'..like describe them as being "in the spectrum", it's a nicer term trust me. Don't get us started on 'Autistic' !?

Respect your first hand experience @Luc.?

I write this is not to dispute you, just a sharing of my experience. My nephew Aaron is 'in the spectrum' but he is also an 'aspy' and proud of it. My sister said that when he was diagnosed he was happy to know that he was an 'aspy' and why he was different to others (he had noticed). He told her knowing the diagnosis and realising their were many other 'aspy's' gave him a sense of belonging. They seemed happy to use the term......different strokes I suppose and maybe that has changed since?.....the one thing that is certain, is my nephew is brilliantly talented, funny and a joy to be around.?

This you already know.....?

PS: Seeing this is a movie thread, I'll add a little movie related story.

We had my sister and her family up for dinner and a movie one night when they were over from NZ many years back and we all watched 'The Castle' as they hadn't seen it yet. I thought they'll love it, they're Kiwis and my sisters Australian/NZ. I mean, who doesn't love 'The Castle'? My then wife and I were cackling away regularly throughout but there was a confusing silence coming from the NZ quarters......except for nephew Aaron, who was laughing along heartily with us and equally confused as us as to why the rest of his family seemed to be 'missing the joke!'  Props....?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw Amazing Grace yesterday 

Amazing performance from Aretha Franklin recorded in a church in 1973 I think

Too real for happy clapping Hillsongers and a threat to atheists because they just might get an inkling of a higher power?

3DE2CA83-1FEC-4FF8-9ED0-B4452FEA2AA6.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sime said:

Sure about that?

i understand feelings and how they are a key to our evolution. No mystery. 

Half joking

Go and see the movie

Be prepared for new feelings

You will never have heard anything like the sound of Aretha’s voice and the emotions running wild in church

And yourself

Mind you some people are just deaf

If you don’t believe in God this performance  won’t change your opinion and nor is it supposed to

Thus the half a joke?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Stuber 

On the hand, this movie was quite unnecessary and I felt it was a bit draggy 

if someone was an eye surgeon I think he would be squirming and I guess only Uber will be happy with this show about a cop who corrals his Uber driver to fetch him around as he hunts down a criminal. He needs the driver who is a lot like the taxi driver from Deadpool, as he just had refractive surgery and can’t see well. 2/5

On 29/03/2019 at 4:08 PM, stevoz said:

And in my experience, many top endurance athletes. Being on the spectrum often makes training to a set plan/power numbers comforting, as is the routine of long hours training solo. A friend of our family is undiagnosed but hates holidays away unless they are for a cycling event. Even on a recent holiday he had to disappear to the local gym for several hours each day, the power of routine and hitting his numbers is just too strong.

I've met Cadel Evans and to me he appears to be on the spectrum. To enjoy the solo hours of training takes a dedication and focus mere mortals are not capable of.

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1

Joker

very thought provoking film. 
if someone / society cared would the character have emerged. If people were kinder, looking out for one another would the character have emerged. If his stepfather hadn’t molested him (his mother was complicit) and as he grew up so emotionally crippling him would the character have emerged?

JP played Arthur/Happy/Joker so well. 
Great script, good music in parts, well directed. 

8751F175-2424-4DEC-81D9-F695606761DE.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, frankn said:

Joker

very thought provoking film. 
if someone / society cared would the character have emerged. If people were kinder, looking out for one another would the character have emerged. If his stepfather hadn’t molested him (his mother was complicit) and as he grew up so emotionally crippling him would the character have emerged?

JP played Arthur/Happy/Joker so well. 
Great script, good music in parts, well directed. 

8751F175-2424-4DEC-81D9-F695606761DE.jpeg

Yes I really enjoyed it, made me squirm in some parts and was a more complex and 'modernised' joker with a mental health twist, easy to pull off as the mental hospital has always loomed in the Gotham background. I like the more sinister and traditional joker of Ledgers more but as a stand alone story/movie, this was fantastically dark and thoroughly enjoyable for me.

• Like 1

Hellboy 2019

Sigh... now why do they need to remake this.....

The positives:

The new one has solid CGI, the lead really tries to be the Hellboy and the action sequences aren't half bad. The BR disc is likely to be a demo disc, but...

The bad:

Well, they lack one big thing... the story... the old Dr Broom had emotion, he connected with his son, and the son had issues, and we emphatise with him. He even had typical youth issues, with boy girl problems, being a bum, and making his home a mess, and yes, even issues with using his powers. The monsters and action were the icing on the cake, the cast worked well together there, whereas here, it's hard to connect with this lot.

2/5 

Grab the BR disc for a spin when it ends up in the sale bin...