Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly About

32 minutes ago, koputai said:

Same for me Daz. Top Secret is one of those movies you find more in every time you watch it.

I did, for at least the first 15 times........................

Cheers,

Jason.

"What phoney dog poo?"

Yes. And we both feel very strongly about this. :D

To be serious, this one had a lasting effect on me.

Event-Horizon-Poster-1300x1947.thumb.jpg.51d7066b3b1d9e6ca6b854079bb90b71.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darren69 said:

This production had a life changing effect upon me, well worth viewing and hasn't aged one minute in all this time. Highly recommended.

movie-title.thumb.jpg.e9d3231d18acecd9824453b34b3e415b.jpg

Seriously, @YCC good pick and yes, a lot of scenes from that rather disturbing movie stuck in my head to and have never looked at James Woods the same.

Has the best sight gags ever, a legendary movie.

Watched Dunkirk again on Bluray with the family on Boxing Day (night- have my side of family for Christmas-yes a bit late of a post) Just a great authentic movie, the last scenes involving Tom Hardy in the Spitfire landing on the beach-s*#t ... still makes me well up- as well as the soundtrack.

My daughter and son who are 12 and 13 have asked about the history behind Dunkirk- explain as best I can and appreciate history behind the event. 

My daughter's favourite part is when the 3 Spitfires fly over and Mark Rylance says about Spitfires being the best sound you will hear out here....Merlin engines......gold!  Have a few Rob ert Taylor prints and put together Revell and Tamiya models together when I was a kid... sorry for waffling..

Oh, just another thing, my son (year 8 last year) class was asked when WW2 was......He was the only one to answer correctly...let alone KNOW when it was... go figure.

Carry on.....

Matt

Sit down & watch The Darkest Hour with them...

Then they will get an appreciation of WW2 from another perspective...

Oh...& get to watch what should be an Academy Award winning performance...

By a lead male actor...show them a photo of Gary Oldman as Churchill...

Then as he is when not acting...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Real Player One - movie review

In the year, 2045, most people can't afford proper housing and live in containers, they live dreary lives, and use virtual reality to satisfy their fantasies ...

Ready-Player-One-2018-movie-poster.jpg

Wait, sorry... that was supposed to be my review of "Real Player One"... it also feels a lot like the housing issue we face now..

Anyway back to the review.

Steven Spielberg is the go to person if you want a sci-fi blockbuster. His body of work is vast and resplendent with wonderful stories of humans, where the story matters more than merely the science. But you also see plenty of amazing cool tech.

Real Player One (RPO) is a masterpiece, filled with nostalgia, exciting moments, romance, thrills and spills. But it's the human element, and those 138 Easter Eggs of old movies and the homage he pays to those movies, including quite a few of his hits, that make it such a wonderful experience.

But that cramped world he described can already be seen in a few places. The link between film and reality is oftentimes closer than we can imagine. Remember the facial recognition that he showed in "Minority Report"?, that's probably closer to reality now than ever.

As for RPO, the nostalgia factor is a huge draw I suspect for older timers like myself, and as the characters on display span across many decades, even younger viewers will find more than a few dozen recognisable faces.

So in the best movies, you find a wonderful mix of adventure, interspersed with humor and a tad of romance. This movie checks all three boxes, and feels a lot like a sci-fi version of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Whilst going from clue to clue, the protagonists find themselves liking one another, and action fans will enjoy the tremendous surround effects and bass that will pound you into submission. If you are able to see this in an IMAX theatre, please do so. The 3D is amazing and the sound is at an even higher level. Beware of sitting too close to the screen during the Kong car chase scene though, as it can be a bit too close for comfort.

As I sat there, grinning from ear to ear, identifying all the hundred and one heroes from past movies and game characters, I also enjoyed the good chemistry between the actors, the subtle storylines and of course, the world of the Real Player Game.

This movie will withstand many viewings, as geeks and action fans will find many reason for multiple viewings.

Recommended. 4/5

Aki Kaurismaki's The Other Side of Hope

http://www.palacefilms.com.au/theothersideofhope/

if you've not heard of Aki, some background

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aki_Kaurismäki

a master of Finnish deadpan humour, an excellent introduction to his style is

Leningrad Cowboys go America

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leningrad_Cowboys_Go_America

regards Ian

• Like 1

See You Up There, a WW1 era  French Film written ,directed and staring Albert Dupontel was superb. Luscious cinematography, stunning costume design, long sweeping camera shots and an opening scene that puts you right on the battle field and in the trenches.Sublime

• Like 2

The Ten Commandments

s-l500.jpg.64758ba2cd04f93194df477316220744.jpg

This film, produced and directed by the legendary, Cecil B DeMille, was released in 1956. I was 8/9 years old when I saw it with my elder brother. I can sill remember it having a very great effect on me....particularly the music.

A friend recently loaned me a copy of the movie, so I was able to watch it again, after all those years.

The story of the Exodus is one of the truly great and moving stories of the human race and sacred in the literatures of all of the Abrahamic faiths.....Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

The movie itself is alas, deeply flawed. Its most notable and striking shortcoming is the stilted and appalling script, much of it couched in very bad paraphrasing of Biblical passages. The other big concern is the casting. With Charlton Heston playing the role of Moses, the film never becomes really convincing.....Charlton Heston is always Charlton Heston in every movie I've seen him in and this is no exception. The only casting success, is Yul Brynner playing the part of the 19th Dynasty Pharaoh, Ramses II....alas often mispronounced Rameses by certain members of the cast, including the director, himself, in his opening monologue....incidentally, a very unusual way to begin a film (as he admits in the monologue).

To modern ears, the use of soundstages for all scenes where dialogue is involved, is very strange indeed. Cecil B De Mille came from the silent film era and he was obviously very cautious about using microphones in outdoor settings, hence his reliance on the soundstage, a practice which was largely outmoded (for outdoor scenes) by 1956.

The special effects in this film are amazing for the day, with the use of literally thousands of extras, something which I am sure will never be repeated again, should this film ever be remade.

The music, though, is something quite special and the thing I most remember from all those years ago.....put on a good pair of headphones, turn up the volume and enjoy:

Edited by MusicOne

I watched Terminator 2 recently... and my God, it holds up so well. The movies which use as many practical effects as possible will always be watchable in like 20 years. Plus, even if the story is somewhat confusing at times with all the time paradoxes, it's a really great tale. That end scene in the molten lava always makes me weep :(

Suddenly Twenty - movie review

I had to take Thai Airways recently and it's pretty good. Decent food and legroom in economy class, especially if you get one of their newer planes.

So back to the review..

This is a 2016 movie which stars Davika Hoorne, a Thai-Belgium beauty, who is one of the rising stars in Thailand. She even sings the theme song pretty well.

It's classic take on the travel back in time to a younger you kind of movie, and but adds a layer not seen in such movies: emotion and the theme of getting old, family and relationships. The comical parts take a leaf from the typical Korean slapstick comedies with physical humor, action and a tough gal thrown into it.
Did I say that the girl is really sweet? They really find the sweetest gals for their movies. She was also in Sudden Attack, another movie with a humor theme but also an underlying theme of overwork.

For anyone who is getting on in age, or comes from a culture where the children are supposed to look after their parents, they will be able to relate even more with the sense of abandonment when the kids decide to dump you in an old folks home. The movie also builds on the idea that the parents spend their lives looking after the kids, sacrificing their own happiness, careers, even cheating and fighting in order give the child a better life.

Recommended, for the movie and the lovely Davika..

The 13th Warrior:

It has been more than 20 years since the theatrical release of this movie and every now and then, I will take my DVD out of it's box for another viewing. Each time, I still wonder why it was not a box office hit (it costs thrice or four times what it made)..

It's a Micheal Crichton book adaption, done on a challenge as to whether he could make an interesting story out of a folklore tale of the Beowolf. He does spin a marvellous yarn that incorporates the traditional folklore, along with elements of the "Dirty Dozen", and bit of culture mixup and good doses of action with lots of thrills and spills.

So a Muslim scholar type gets sent to Scandinavia and  ends up fighting man eating bear like creatures, fighting against the odds against evil. Antonio Banderas is wonderful as the scholar turned warrior, whilst Vladimir Kulich plays the charismatic leader of the baker's dozen to good effect.

If you haven't not seen it before, go ahead and grab that DVD, yeah, I said DVD, because sadly, there has yet to be a Blu Ray release. The surround effects are decent, real deep bass may be lacking, but the plot and the amount of male testosterone on display makes up for it. Bravado galore! 

Recommended. 

What an ending scene!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On 09/04/2018 at 12:15 PM, Ian McP said:

Aki Kaurismaki's The Other Side of Hope

http://www.palacefilms.com.au/theothersideofhope/

if you've not heard of Aki, some background

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aki_Kaurismäki

a master of Finnish deadpan humour, an excellent introduction to his style is

Leningrad Cowboys go America

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leningrad_Cowboys_Go_America

regards Ian

Total Balalaiki Show

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Balalaika_Show

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to watching 'The Wolf Of Wall Street' last night. Of course I was aware of all the controversy around this film, but I must say that I found it quite enjoyable and absorbing to watch, despite (or maybe in part due to) the explicit scenes and the profanity.

One thing that really struck me though was the apparent influence of Orson Welles' 1941 movie Citizen Kane on certain aspects of the film. The depiction of Leonardo DiCaprio's character Jordan Belfort seems to bear an uncanny resemblance to Orson Welles performance of Charles Foster Kane. In fact DiCaprio in this movie even looks like Orson Welles as he was in Citizen Kane. And then there is the scene where Belfort throws a big party in the office complete with marching band and other entertainment. It is very much a parallel of a similar scene in Citizen Kane (albeit with much more explicit forms of 'entertainment'). (Remember though that the party scene in Citizen Kane was originally intended to be set in a brothel, but the idea was canned by the movie studio, so it was set in the newspaper office instead.)

I haven't seen this comparison made in any of the reviews I've seen, but to me the similarities seem quite obvious. I suspect that Martin Scorcese must be a fan of Citizen Kane, and maybe drew on it for inspiration for some aspects of his film.

• 4 weeks later...

What are the common adjectives to describe an action movie? 
Breath-taking stunts, bone crunching combat, breakneck pacing, side splitting dialogue with side kicks and a dash of romantic interlude? 
Well, here we have a movie with a functional plot, and an extremely hardworking superstar who really strives to make it work.. he is a wonderful chef, placing all the adjectives together into a wonderful movie which he dishes out with all his heart, blood and guts. That's the short take on this.. 

And that fist fight? Absolutely kinetic... 

http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2018/07/mission-impossible-fallout-movie-review.html

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This movie was released in 2014 , So, it took me a while.........

Set in Algeria in 1954 during the suppression of the independence - rebels by the French overloads, it brings the conflict down to human size by concentrating on one mans act of honour toward a vulnerable man, and at the end of the day, in deference to his own code of ethics.

Its very quiet, with natural atmospherics and a Nick Cave / Warren Ellis soundtrack.

Visually, best seen on a large screen, as the barren landscape is almost the third person on screen.

If you are looking for Hollywood style cheap thrills, don't bother. If you can ' sit' with a film and let the story slowly immerse you, I recommend this.

Not for kids.

Billy.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Den of Thieves:
This is like a Heat lite... taking the heist element of that movie, then milking some emotion part out of it. There are also Now You See Me surprise twist parts in it, just so it does not appear to be a straight up heist movie. Does it work?
Well I chose to focus on what it does well: The action. There's plenty of surround, good fight scenes and that for me, makes up for the wooden acting and the rather unnecessary relationship angle thrown in to make the lead more 'human'. A whole chunk could have been cut out without missing a beat.

So is it a buy, rental or a skip it? I would say it's a rental at least and if it comes cheap, worth a leap of faith for action aficionados.  

On 08/06/2018 at 3:06 PM, Ian McP said:

Big weekend for movies

Saw The Other Side Of Hope yesterday in Lismore of all places

Really good movie

On Friday night saw The Elvis Comeback TV Special in Coolangatta 

On 15/08/2018 at 8:26 PM, Zen Mister said:

This movie was released in 2014 , So, it took me a while.........

Set in Algeria in 1954 during the suppression of the independence - rebels by the French overloads, it brings the conflict down to human size by concentrating on one mans act of honour toward a vulnerable man, and at the end of the day, in deference to his own code of ethics.

Its very quiet, with natural atmospherics and a Nick Cave / Warren Ellis soundtrack.

Visually, best seen on a large screen, as the barren landscape is almost the third person on screen.

If you are looking for Hollywood style cheap thrills, don't bother. If you can ' sit' with a film and let the story slowly immerse you, I recommend this.

Not for kids.

Billy.

image.jpeg

I saw that years ago in Melbourne 

2014 gee that long ago

great movie and beautifully filmed

Good actor and gets in good movies but not a fan of Vigo and that is the best one I’ve seen him in

It is Interesting to view this again, for the first time since 1977. It was a disturbing experience then, and was yet again. 

Bergmans' most divisive movie, slammed on release, and still capable of upsetting people.

Just a few thoughts;

David Lynch definitely saw this movie before he made  ERASERHEAD. The scenario of the protagonist slowly driven crazy by the industrial noise  starts here.

The movie should not be viewed in the line of BERGMAN -style film, but as a continuation of the German Expressionist tradition, as exemplified by Dr Mabuse, ' M' , The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari etc.

The final speech by Dr. Vergerus sounds even more chilling today than it did then.

It is TRUMP/ DUTTON  relevant today. I wish I could find a transcript to reproduce here.

The title is references this quote:

Transcript of Julius Caesar Act 2 quotes. “And therefore think him as a serpent's egg— Which, hatched, would as his kind grow mischievous— And kill him in the shell.” Brutus agrees on killing Caesar before he has any power otherwise he will become a dictator to Rome.Oct 21, 2014

It is not a Saturday night beer and Pringles type movie, but I would encourage anyone confused about the decisions currently facing the U.S. and Australia to give it a visit.

Billy.

image.jpeg

Edited by Zen Mister
Typo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think this one got to me when I first saw it not knowning anything about it - it still does.

The soundtrack by  Marc Streitenfeld is really quite haunting strings/orchestra and paino - keeps the eyes good and moist. Great scenery and the acting is top (Liam, Frank Grillo etc). Walking through deep snow is hard enough never mind the .......

Just keep watching it through the credits... like a Marvel.

image.thumb.png.39e449230d44b6a189ffd26dc3a38f7b.png

Edited by Jimboz
spelling
  • Like 3