Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly About

For me "The Martian" is one of the best Movies I've even seen. Picture Quality wise I give it 9.5 out of 10 as it was sharp on a 100 inch Hecto. Audio wise I give it 2 out of 10 as it was only in DTS MA yet at the end of the movie it had written on the credits DOLBY ATMOS at selected theater's Maybe these mobs want to double dip by bringing out an extended version but with Atmos something similar as to what was done with gravity.

What I found with 'The Martian' was that it was a little too long by some 20 minutes, had they edited out some of that unnecessary chit chat within the ranks of NASA the dialogue of the movie would have been more neat and tidy as a SciFi movie.

It also suffered at times from poor diction ( Matt Damon's voice overs) which reflected on such a visually stimulating movie, I would have thought 'that' would have been 'a must' ........if the image quality is first rate then so too the audio quality should also be of the same excellent quality.

Also, they could have dumped the music too for something more in keeping with the movie's intention, as it was, it did nothing to heighten the experience but rather seemed out of place.

I'm a fan of Matt Damon movies but this one was not one of his very best, IMO.

Still, forgiving its weakness's, it's a visual delight in where it counts most.

8/10

C.M

Edited by Tweet

I watched THE MARTIAN 3D last night and was totally captivated by it. I only paused it a couple of times, to refill my wineglass and not once did I look at the timer to see how long it had to go. The PQ is superb, the sound is excellent, I had no problem understanding any of the dialogue. I even found myself hoping that it would go longer. Loved that David Bowie was referenced in the soundtrack too. I might even take a look at the regular BD disc today, to see what extras there are, something I very rarely do.

I watched THE MARTIAN 3D last night and was totally captivated by it. I only paused it a couple of times, to refill my wineglass and not once did I look at the timer to see how long it had to go. The PQ is superb, the sound is excellent, I had no problem understanding any of the dialogue. I even found myself hoping that it would go longer. Loved that David Bowie was referenced in the soundtrack too. I might even take a look at the regular BD disc today, to see what extras there are, something I very rarely do.

Yep I agree. Some of us might think the movie was a bit long but for the first time since I watched the "Titanic" The Martian kept my eyes glued to the screen. Like I said the Audio was OK but not the Rolls Royce of Audios that is available today.

Me thinks that if you are a number cruncher for the producers they will bring out a Atmos version of this movie considering it was done in Atmos in the first place. The movie "Gravity" when they released the "Deluxe Edition" region "A" version only with Atmos I was VERY SURPRISED how good the first 15 minutes of the movie was. There were no comparison to the same 15 minutes on the Original blu ray that was sold in Australia. There is no doubt they do this for $$$$$$$ reasons.

R Soles!.

Yep I agree. Some of us might think the movie was a bit long but for the first time since I watched the "Titanic" The Martian kept my eyes glued to the screen. Like I said the Audio was OK but not the Rolls Royce of Audios that is available today.

Me thinks that if you are a number cruncher for the producers they will bring out a Atmos version of this movie considering it was done in Atmos in the first place. The movie "Gravity" when they released the "Deluxe Edition" region "A" version only with Atmos I was VERY SURPRISED how good the first 15 minutes of the movie was. There were no comparison to the same 15 minutes on the Original blu ray that was sold in Australia. There is no doubt they do this for $$$$$$$ reasons.

R Soles!.

I don't think you can base audio quality on whether the disc had ATMOS or not. It's still a very niche product. Disappointing it's not there, granted.

If the audio is great in HD then it's great.

Love the movie though. Favourite from last year.

Edited by Jutta

I tend to agree ... if it's lossless, it's still lossless for the channels that are on the disc and given atmos is only height speakers the main sound track is still 100% present.

Has anyone seen any penetration data for ATMOS in Home Theaters? I would be surprised if it has grown beyond 1-2% of the total number of installs anyway.

I can tell you this that all that I have spoken to including projectionist at Picture theaters many do not have a clue what immersive audio is. At the end of the day I don't give a flying duck what other do or don't do or what they don't understand all I do is what is good for our setup and that's it. The Wife loves it, The family loves it and so do I.

Does anyone have a Atmos amp running 7.2.4 speaker config and have both the Aussie version of Gravity and also have the Region A Special Edition Delude Version of Gravity. All I can say is WOW! but again at the end of the day only us guys on this forum appreciate the money we spend and whilst we are doing this other are watching Gravity and The Martian on a 27 inch CRT tv connected to a worn out DVD player.

Spooks - movie review

What's the difference between a Hollywood production and one from the U.K. ?

For one, production values for one, and certainly there's a whole lot more explosions in a US film. You are also more likely to have big names in it.

However what the bbc and other UK productions bring is a tighter plot, better dialogue and hopefully enough people who prefer a good yarn to just mega sets and bangs.

The premise is simple : an operation to transport a top terrorist goes south and the top agent in charge seems to disappear or go rouge.

The rest of the movie is a chase to stop the terrorist from bombing London and find the mole.

So does it work ? Sans the big bangs bombs and even babes?

Actually it's pretty alright and its gripping enough to occupy two hours of your life.

A rental.

The Finest Hours - Movie Review

This is based on a true story and tells the story of an against the odds coast guard rescue of a stricken tanker by a tiny boat.

Firstly the bass is tremendous and will please even the hard core bass heads!
Surround works well and the plot is interesting enough to keep the tension going. The pacing is a little uneven, and the love story doesn't add much to it, and takes some steam off the action..
There's decent chemistry between the leads. And I actually like the way they underplayed the tough decisions and heroism, rather than ham it up in a typical Hollywood fashion.

Not a lot of chick factor, and I felt it was superfluous. In fact I felt the lady was a little annoying.
But Chris Pine and Casey Affleck did enough to propel it forward. Ben Foster had an odd ride, not doing too much and just giving us weak smiles as he plodded along as the fellow Coast Guard dude in the boat.
The period clothes and cars felt quite real, and kudos to the wardrobe department.
The more action thirsty fans may crave for more bravado and a Rambo type persona to 'haul ass' and save the day, but I felt it was subtle and the main protagonist was the unforgiving sea. A better show than The Perfect Storm.

Recommended for a watch or rental at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why I missed this years back, but I did. I watched Invictus last night for the first time and what an excellent film, very impressed. :)

MV5BMjAyMzExMDM1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTcy

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1057500/

I also watch the other day a fairly obscure film that was released back in 2009 in Germany at the Berlin Int. Film Festival, called Defamation. It's actually about anti-semitism... and I found it quite an interesting watch, although very provocative;

MV5BMTY0ODYxNDI2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTky

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1377278/

No bluray release though yet unfortunately.

JSmith :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Movie Review

Sigh, this is a movie with so much potential, and with the hype of the matchup, plus the introduction of Wonderwoman, I guess it just didn't meet the expectations I had.
On the plus side:
Lots of good action, explosions and the new cinema was a throwback to the past.
Now the down side:
This is one movie that was filmed in MTV speed, hurtling from one scene to another. Despite the long movie runtime, it has the daunting tasking of putting origin stories along with how they hate each other to the introduction of a new hero to the fights with the villains. Too much, even for fanboys to swallow.
Superman was well played by Henry, and Ben did look decent as Batman, but his fight scenes were so awkward and poorly done. Christian Bale was the benchmark, and despite his best effort, he was no match for Bale. Miss Israel is no match for Ms Texas USA aka Linda Carter, the original Wonderwoman.
The movie was busy, far too hectic, with too many side plots, and too angsty. This is a Batman's Superman. Henry frowns, gets angry too much and I wish they would go back to less dark movies. This whole dark side appeals to those who like the Batman type of hero, but I prefer a lighter mood, and the cheerful sort of show.
Action fans will still be pretty satisfied, despite a less than agile Batman. And his fight with Superman in his "anti-hulk" Ironman suit - what was that?
Gal Gadot, Amy Adams are a tad too old, and Amy looked more like Superman's mum, and if Diane Lane looked any younger, she should have been Lois Lane.. Rachel McAdams, could have been a better Lois Lane, and they need someone to play Wonderwoman. What's with the Maori like Aquaman?
BTW, I don't recognise the half-body chap tied to the experiment wall?
2/5 for me.

There are a lot of weirdo's out there each with an identity crisis, jumping off tall buildings in capes and drapes, swinging about on elastic threads, surely these self announced super-heroes need psychiatric help and those that invented them.

Mind you, Elvis wore a cape. :D

C.M

Edited by Tweet

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a Atmos amp running 7.2.4 speaker config and have both the Aussie version of Gravity and also have the Region A Special Edition Delude Version of Gravity. All I can say is WOW!.

I have both discs, and am only running a measly 5.1.4, but I too can notice a massive difference in the sound. It's absolutely fantastic, especially the immersiveness of the "silent" version, with no soundtrack, on the diamond luxe edition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all. This is not a review of the movie but more a review on the Audio of Deadpool on BD local release. After reading the BD reviews online, I watched this last night and it was quite lacking in dynamics. Every other known titles that have incredible sound stages which I own and tested recently as I've just gone back to a 7.1 system are fine on my system. I am really disappointed with this movie being such an action packed movie but just didn't live up to the reviews.

I really hope it isn't a case of our local copy being mastered differently to the US or UK versions. Anyone one else own the local copy and thought the same as me?

Edited by SimonNo10

We watched our US copy on Friday and I was a tad underwhelmed with the AQ - especially after watching Road to Perdition (14 years it's junior) earlier in the day and being totally overwhelmed by the AQ!

Maybe many of the Deadpool reviews are a bit passionate because it's a bit of a "genre breaker" :hmm:

X Men Apocalypse - Movie Review

It's been an overload of superhero movies in the past few months, beginning with Batman Vs Superman, then Captain America Civil War and now this. Can Bryan Singer bring this franchise to great higher heights? Or as Jean Grey remarked in an inside joke - that the third instalment is always the worse?

First, I think that this will make a very decent demo disc when it comes out on a Blu Ray. And yes, it was filmed on 6k.. but the VFX was 2k and so YMMV:
http://realorfake4k.com/my-product/x-men-apocalypse/
The surrounds and the subwoofers were working overtime here, and there are so many good fight scene to make the action aficionado happy.
There are also plenty of new characters, in this second reboot of the franchise, reset after Wolverine did his time altering effort, thereby allowing some new cast members, which I suspect the producers planted to carry this franchise forward into the new few movies.
How about the plot? Well as a standalone movie, there's quite a bit to catch up, since you are pretty much thrown into the thick of the action, and despite a lengthy show, there does not seem to be much depth in the characters, as there are quite a few new faces being thrown in.
Even familiar characters are now played by new actors with some exceptions, so one does take a while to get used to them.
Carried over from the last few instalments are Fessbender, McAvoy, and Evans, and as Quicksilver, Evans enjoys a fun ride. The ever reliable Jennifer Lawrence takes on a Hunger Games-seque heroine stance here, playing less of a chameleon / Black Widow type shady character, but instead leads the troops as a senior member of the X Men.
Hugh Jackman even manages a non-credited cameo, although he did look less buff than in the last show.
The beast looks less awesome, but the other standout character is the villain, who is imposing and quite menacing. Kurt Wagner is a cute teenage comic relief, but does not light up the screen like his predecessor.
The chick count is high, and Olivia Munn does for X Men what Maria Hill ala Colbie Smulders does for Captain America and manages to heat up the screen each time she comes on.
However, there were two other superhero ensemble movies that came barely weeks before. And I suppose this movie is going to be judged against them. It certainly outperforms Batman vs Superman, which is not too difficult, but what about Civil War?
Well I feel that it falls significantly short of that one, which is my gold standard for how one can get an ensemble cast to work together, give each of the important people sufficient screen time for character development, share good screen chemistry and yet still have a blast of a time with a healthy dose of action. I suppose there are more 'return actors' in that show and their chemistry together shows.
But the new X Men are positively weaker, save for senior ones like McAvoy, Jennifer Lawrence and Fessbender, who carry the movie forward.
It's another new start and we hope to see more good things, but the last instalment still beats this one hands down.
3/5, and its still good enough for action fans and bass heads to own once the disc comes out.