Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly About

• 1 month later...

GI Joe Retaliation– movie review

http://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2013/04/gi-joe-retaliation-movie-revie.html

A threadbare plot, and some rather painfully amateur acting by a few of the main cast is saved by solid action, plenty of action sequences, and a nice cameo by Bruce Willis and The Rock flexing his considerable muscles....

Worth a watch but nowhere near the best...

A half drunk gorilla could act better than Channing Tatum...

GI Joe Retaliation– movie review

A half drunk gorilla could act better than Channing Tatum...

Channing Tatum is a former male stripper and is purely there as "eye candy".

He serves exactly the same purpose as the dumb bimbettes strutting around in the same movie with their heavy artillery hanging out. You and I can find them very appealing (especially in 3D) so why not keep Mr Tatum around to bring in the other demographic ?

• 3 weeks later...

Ironman 3– movie review

http://peteswrite.blogspot.hk/2013/04/ironman-3-movie-review.html

Not bad, but not great, and part of the reason may be Shane Black tries too hard to introduce a new facade, adding two Oscar Winners into a rather convoluted plot and dilute RDJ's larger than life style.

2.5/5, but probably it will be a great demo BR disc.

• 3 weeks later...

Cabin In The Woods

Finally got round to this...

Interesting plot, and unexpected ending, and a very solid surround experience.. not your typical slasher..

Definitely worth a couple of viewings at least to get the plot...

Warm Bodies

We purchased this as an advanced release on US iTunes.

This has been labeled a ZOM ROM COM and was well worth the watch,

with a nod to Romeo & Juliet

Very good acting from the 2 leads, and both of their offsiders get some good lines.

The CG movement of the skeletal zombies looked a bit off though.

The movie has a great soundtrack, with R preferring to listen to his music on vinyl and he gives some classics a spin.

4/5

Edited by kopthat

• 1 month later...

A Lonely Place To Die

Not sure if this ones been mentioned but it surprised me.

http://www.blu-ray.c...-Blu-ray/36841/

Thanks for this, just watched this today. Wow this one sneaked under the radar. Brilliant movie fantastic photography and edge of the seat plot from beginning to end. Most of the actors I have never heard of but they do a really convincing job. Definitely worth picking up if you see this in the shops 2011 movie.

It looks like it available for only $6.27 from Amazon at the moment (region A locked ).

Edited by mwd

• 3 weeks later...

FlyOver Canada

If you happen to be in Vancouver, consider going for the Flyover Canada ride:

http://www.flyovercanada.com/

It's 4D - with sight, sound, smell and even water in your face!

At CA$ 20.95, it's not that cheap for a 20 - 30 min ride, but the sights and experience are worth it...

It's in SD, but nevertheless, I feel it's money well spent...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ooTjnZAgI5o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saw a few movies recently on the plane:

Trance:

An Inception-lite movie, with slightly less ept acting, less invovling plot, and less believable characters. I reckon the only 'wow' moment was Rosario Dawson totally starkers...

Rental at best

Dead Man Down:

Another rental at best movie with some decent moments from Naomi Rapace and Colin Ferrel, but not enough to save this rather dark movie with a difficult to understand plot.

Burt Wonderstone:

A light weight comedy, with not much against it, but also not a lot for it. Worth a rental and a few laughs, but the magicians story is a warm, and ultimately forgettable story, which neither offends or impresses much.

Side Effects

A suspense thriller that is decent but not great. It's good in spurts, but slows down too much in others. Apart from the erratic, it's quite good, with a commendable performance from Jude Law who plays a psychiatrist who finds seemlingly unpleasantly side effects in a new drug he uses on a patient. He has to fight to clear his name when the patient kills her own husband...

Rooney Mara also does well but Channing Tatum is a piece of wood in his rather short-lived appearance... Catherine Zeta Jones does pretty well too.

The portrayal of the pharma industry and the doctors who seem to be in bed with them is more reflective of the USA scene, but even then, it's not indicative of all doctors, and certainly not the case around here..

Good enough for one or two viewings...

side_effects_ver3.jpg

Quite nice photography wise. I found it a bit slow. Strange that Catherine Zeta Jones was in seeing as she suffers Bi Polar.

Thought that the comments to commonly used drugs was a bit dodgy fiction versus reality.

Funny how small capusles of chemicals called medication alter our lives.

The lead girl looks like a dead ringer for Madi on the Block

Edited by mwd

Skyfall

http://peteswrite.bl...movie-ever.html

Bravo! The best Bond Movie to date.

Saw this only recently. My partner and I were very impressed. A better than average Bond movie (and I'm sure many would vote it the best). Details appear in the review petetherock has linked to. The action scenes were very entertaining, and there is some good British dialogue. This movie would appeal to a broad audience. Recommended.

Before Midnight- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2209418/

My rating: story 5/5

All I'd hoped it would be and more. One of those great movies that shows the beauty of everyday life in raw reality, to the point some could find boring. The car scene a couple of minutes in must go for around 10 minutes in 1 continuous shot! No action or special effects in this movie, just an everyday couple (with an amazing back story- Before Sunrise/Before Sunset) walking around talking, dealing with issues we all face as adults.

We saw this at the Rivoli and saw 4 other couples at a cafe/restaurant across the road discussing it intently over coffee straight after. It's one of those real conversation starters and the entire trilogy hooks people in quite passionately.

I'd never recommend it as a system workout or demo material, just a beautifully made and acted movie that brings with it just about a full range of emotions. Quite funny at time too.

Edited by blybo

• 2 months later...

Mr Nobody http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485947/

I'm not sure why it took so long to release, it was made in 2009

Great story and acting, and like Cloud Atlas you really have to concentrate,

but it is very rewarding. One of the best movies I have seen, Jared Leto was very good in this.

Edited by kopthat