Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly About

I don't understand the title of this thread - "Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly About". How are basic reviews a discussion about one feeling "strongly" about a movie?

Maybe it should read "Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly enough about to write your opinion that no one seems to agree with or care about" :P:lol:

Plot: 3/5 take Rambo II, swop to Burma, and viola, another Rambo. He is even bigger this time round, steroids?

mmm, lessee the plot of Rambo 4. Chick asks Rambo for a lift for her buddies, he does, they get caught, Rambo kills everyone then goes home.

There were a couple of attempts to inject some reasoning and rationalisation to the progress the "story" but all it amounted to was, 'I do what I do because it's what I do'. I've ridden in trains whose path was less linear and predictable than this movie's plot.

My strongest emotion with this movie (nausea not being so much an emotion as a symptom) was discomfort. I'm not a squeemish person but the body parts in this flick had me squirming in the seat. The words "uneccessary" and "gratuitous" keep running through my head.

Edited by ajm

Into The Wild (2007) directed by Sean Penn.

( already in the list ) post edited.

Valley of Elah (2007).

If you saw the documentary of US Troops in Iraq with handy cams this movie looked very close to reality. ( If it moves shoot it ).

Edited by mwd

Golden Child

Ok this is quite old, but I recently acquired the DVD...

This is Eddie Murhpy at his prime, around the time of his Beverly Hills Cop time, and he is at his cocky, witty fast talking best. The plot isn't too clear, but throw in loads of funny one-liners, some decent action and a hot babe, and we are off!

Plot: not the best but even 22 years after, IMO it's still engaging. 3/5

Action: Don't look for deep bass etc, and the CGI has aged. Think along the lines of Conan, Clash of the Titans type of animation and you will be right. 3/5

Chick Factor: Charlotte Lewis rocks! 4.5/5

http://www.celebritypicturesarchive.com/pi...lotte-lewis.jpg

Buy / Rent / Forget it: I like this, Happy to own it and take it out for a 80s Eddie Murphy night!

http://www.lovefilm.com/lovefilm/images/pr.../4267-large.jpg

The Mist

THis is certainly one of Stephen King's better translations to movie. Frank Darabont did a wonderful job as this was a great movie IMO.

While its labeled as a horror movie, fact is that its much deeper than that. It focuses more on human behaviour under stress than it does on the blood and guts.

A little dodgy CGI (maybe the budget?) but you can look past that.

Also one of the rare movies where its not let down by a crap ending. This ending is a corker!

A buy for me on BR next month.

The Mist

THis is certainly one of Stephen King's better translations to movie. Frank Darabont did a wonderful job as this was a great movie IMO.

While its labeled as a horror movie, fact is that its much deeper than that. It focuses more on human behaviour under stress than it does on the blood and guts.

Also one of the rare movies where its not let down by a crap ending. This ending is a corker!

I plan to give this a spin tonight. Glad to hear someone thought it worth seeing.

Edited by ajm

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale

First the two nice things I can say:

The scenery was great and secondly the CGI was not too shabby.

But it seems the crew simply went to British Columbia, Canada, borrowed all the stuff from LOTR, added some CGI and hoped the mixture would work...

Sadly it doesn't.

It rated amongst the all time worst movies and it rightly deserves so. The plot has more holes than a sieve. Asking Jason Statham to act is like asking him to give birth, and Burt Reynolds didn't do much better. They borrowed so much from LOTR that you wonder if this was part of the series. The Krugs in it look like the orcs, the battle scenes resemble the battle at Deep Helm and Ray Liotta just doesn't cut it as a villian.

Plot: 1/5

Action: The DVD was flat with little dynamics, and the battle scenes although well constructed, seemed too similar to the other movies. 2.5/5

Chick Factor: Ok, so Claire Forlani is hot, and Leelee Sobieski isn't too bad, but its hard to focus on them with so much crap going on. 3.5/5

Don't go near this with a 10 foot pole.... wait it works well if you want to make another movie look better.... zzzz

http://www.axport.com/movies/2008-Hollywoo...onSiegeTale.jpg

The Mist

I agree , great ending . Very surprised that the studio bigwigs let this be the ending that got used.

HANCOCK

Didn't really want to see this at the cinema but my mate shouted me a ticket so i thought i'd check it out. Was pleasantly surprised. Was different from most superhero movies , especially the first half which had plenty of laughs. The second half was a bit more serious , but still enjoyed it.

3.5/5

I agree , great ending . Very surprised that the studio bigwigs let this be the ending that got used.

I read that Frank Darabont only agreed to direct this if he could use that ending. Hence the Weinstein's agreed.

BTW, got around to seeing Jumper today. What a steaming pile of crap that was!!

Also saw The Invasion. No where near as bad as I was lead to believe....

Edited by Chesty

The Mist

Watched last night - loved it! wish it was a 4hourer and had time to explore some other elements of project arrowhead - there woulda been some great potential for some sci-fi elements there (but of course thrown the budget out). Loved it as it was however :)

Jumper - i was really looking forward to this, but it was pretty crappy :(, weak story, trying too hard with the comedy elements...

Cheers,

Bitey

The Mist

Urrgh didn't do it for me a very cheesy B grade movie IMO. Could not get over the overdramatic hick acting and the critters were just missing the 'strings'.

Not my cup of chai but its all educational worth a watch once only in my case. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I just had to add these two movies to my most HATED list.

No1. Natcho Libra. in my opinion it was utter rubbish.

No2. Run Fatboy Run. the plot is so lame it is indefensible.the notion one unfit person could finish a marathon is beyond belief.

Now that is off my chest.

Cheers.

On the positive side,I loved No Country For Old Men.

I watched Soylent Green last weekend. I'm almost ashamed to admit I've not seen this before and, to be blunt, I wish I'd just pretended I had. The movie is really good in it's own right but Charlton Heston is so cringingly bad that I just wanted the end (for him) to come quickly. Edward G. Robinson is brilliant (his last movie) and acts the absolute pants off of the supposed leading man. In any case, the twist is pretty much obvious from the outset but it does seem to take an age to get there and once revealed, we're left hanging.

I'm torn on this one. On the one hand this is a pretty neat idea and something that has real potential but my overriding memories of it are of Cheston poncing around, gritted teeth and monotone delivery. I just wish they'd got someone slightly more subtle to do the job.

*flame suit on*

I don't understand the title of this thread - "Movies You Watched Recently And Felt Strongly About". How are basic reviews a discussion about one feeling "strongly" about a movie?

Momaw,it can be quite helpful if you know avid movie viewers opinions as to what they felt about a movie and maybe avoid wasting your money on a ticket or a rental.

if i can steer someone away from UTTER CRAP movies like Run Fatboy Run, and a few others, well i feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Cheers

Thornton. :lol:

The Bucket List

Plot: Two men, one is a mechanic who is a whiz at trivia (Morgan Freeman), the other a rich man who owns hospitals with few friends, if any (Jack Nicholson). Both realise they have cancer, get placed into the same room for treatment and slowly become good friends. When faced with the prospect that they might as well 'go out with a bang', they make a list to do all the things in the world they've always wanted to. 3.5/5

Action: Not a lot in the way of action. But there's a little bit when doing their 'Bucket List' activities. There's a few good laughs along the way. 2/5

Chick Factor: Pretty much a zero. 0/5

Buy / Rent / Forget it: Well worth a look, but I'd probably just rent it. Maybe only worth watching twice at best. Two world class actors make this movie, might have been a dud with anyone else. Fitting ending too, always a plus. :)

Overall 3.5/5

Edited by Legoman

• 2 weeks later...

Twilight Samurai & Hidden Blade

This is a brace of movies with quite a few areas in common, including the same director, and a samurai setting in old Japan, but offers two different scenarios.

Firstly just to get it out of the way, action junkies should look elsewhere. There is a single spurt of intense comabt in both shows, but nothing to satisfy the Jet Li / Jackie Chan fans. Both are relatively slow burners and are story telling movies, offering an insight into Samurai Japan, whilst staying relavent to our modern world. The themes of a righteous warrior struggling to keep his family together, or doing the right thing at much cost to himself, whilst holding back on expressing his love for the woman of his dreams due to class / caste differences remains true til today.

You will see no hand holding, and definitely no bedroom scenes, yet the intimacy between the star crossed lovers is so intimate and poignant. The actors in both movies are well chosen, and help to sustain the interest in a talkie type movie, and the use of camera angles, good vista of beautiful landscapes in Japan all add to the beauty of the show.

Of course having Matsu Takako in the Hidden Blade is the added bonus.

Twilight Samurai:

Plot 4/5

Action: 2/5

Chick Factor 3.5/5

Rent/buy or forget it: a keeper

Hidden Blade:

Plot 4/5

Action: 2/5

Chick Factor 4/5 Matsu Takako rocks!

Rent/buy or forget it: a keeper

Wasabi

A nice French - Japanese production, showing off Jean Reno at his best as his usual stoic cop role, add an energiser bunny Ryoko Hirosue who doesn't know French and simply memorised her lines phonetically. There is a frenetic pace, with the usual foreigner (gaijin) in Japan humor but many tender moments and Jean Reno makes the movie his own, and stamps his own style, and his side kick Momo is a blast!

Plot: simple but effective 4/5

Action: whacky, but fun 3/5

Chick factor: Ryoko Hirosue is hot! 3.5/5

Rent buy or forget it: I bought it twice (VCD, DVD) recommended...esp for Luc Besson and Jean Reno fans