Blu-Ray Disc Reviews A To L

THE CROODS - Aus release - Region B locked - DTS HDMA 7:1 - 2.35:1

Thought it's about time we got some reviews going here!

Watched this last week after purchasing from JB during the 20% off sale (3D disc as well), for $12.

Thoroughly entertaining CG family film with superb animation and a very rich orchestral score by Alan Silvestri.

Watched it in full in 2D, but took a glimpse afterwards in 3D in the new HT and it was amazing! Very deep into - and out of the screen visuals.

FILM: 4/5

PQ: 4.5/5

AQ: 4.2/5

For $12 (especially if you have kids), it's a no- brainer!

It's another great animation this one

• 1 month later...

THE DRESSMAKER - Aus release - Region B LOCKED - DTS HDMA 5:1 - 2.35:1

I had high hopes for this film.

Certainly there was a bevy of legendary Aussie actors and some serious eye candy in the two main (romantic) leads.

The story was a tad "quirky" and almost like a Bazz Luhrmann film, but there were sufficient twists and nice moments to make it all work.

Set in classic Victorian locations including a smaller scene at the Sunshine Theatre - as I noticed in the credits.

The technical merits were worth the watch alone.

The picture quality was (in most part), superb with rich colours in the clothing and great contrast in the many outdoor country scenes - especially the football match.

The AQ was also good - started off with a real "bang", but there wasn't too much along the way that stood out. Lots of dialogue though I needed to up the volume a bit here.

PQ:4.5/5

AQ:4/5

Picked this up from the JB 20% off sale last weekend for $24. OK purchase at this price :)

THE GOOD DINOSAUR 3D - US Release - Region Free - DTS HDMA 7:1 - 2.39:1

Spectacular technical display on show here.

The characters seemed a tad lame, but the visuals were so amazing that it didn't matter. Settings resembling the Rocky Mountains and the Colorado River showcased with visuals so lifelike at times, it was hard to believe you were watching CG.

Obviously made with a true respect for nature and for visual film making excellence :) The 3D action was all "into" the screen, but the depth and clarity were very nice indeed.

FILM: 3.5/5

AQ: 4.5/5

Probably wouldn't watch this in full again, but it would make an excellent demo disc for colour and clarity :)

• 2 months later...

ROAD TO PERDITION - UK release - DTS HDMA 5:1 - 2.39:1

What a great revisit.

Haven't watched this for many years and today, was blown away.

Fantastic pacing with wonderful '30s period detail abundant in a story centered around crime, loyalty, violence and revenge.

The PQ here is excellent, with elements such as fabric weaves on clothing and wood grain on gun butts clear as day.

The lossless audio was also exceptional with Thomas Newman's ethereal score magically weaving it's web with the visuals - loads of ambience and subtle surround activity. Ordered the soundtrack CD this afternoon :)

FILM: 4.0/5

PQ: 4.2/5

AQ: 4.5/5

With a bit of a "dry period" of good films ATM, it's great to revisit films like this and continue the faith in great, but older transfers.

Tom Hanks (as always), is brilliant.

**Posting here in the A to L thread as the other has been archived :hmm: We need more reviewers!

SPOTLIGHT - US Release - Region Free - 1.85:1 - DTS HDMA 5:1

Fantastic film following a group of Boston Globe reporters uncovering the story of wide spread child sex abuse within the Catholic Church in Boston.

Gritty, real, natural and intelligent. Made 2hrs 10mins slip by without a blink.

Riveting from start to finish.

Very solid PQ considering mainly drab office based scenery. Only a few moments of outdoor clarity such as the baseball game.

The AQ was very adequate with an understated score by Howard Shore.

FILM: 4.5/5

AQ: 4/.5

Totally recommended. The fact that this film is at such a reduced rice, must mean that it has not been embraced by the general community. Thank (someone), I'm agnostic!

• 2 months later...

THE BIG SHORT - Aus release - DTS X/HDMA 7:1 - 2.39:1 (incorrectly labelled as DTS HDMA 5:1 on cover)

Started off a bit slow (and weird), but quickly developed into a riveting drama focusing on the collapse of the US banks/mortgage lenders and the beginning of the global financial crisis in the mid 2000's.

WOW!

PQ was very good., though quite a bit of hand held camera work, so some shaky scenes. Some images were purposely made to look vintage to give insight into the historic elements of the US banking system and some of the main characters, but otherwise, good resolution and color - considering many drab office based scenes.

AQ was excellent. Understated though engrossing "heavy" score adding to the flavor of the content. The closing credits blowing me away with relevance and intensity.

FILM: 4.5/5

PQ: 4/5

AQ: 4/5

Maybe it's just a perception of my (older) generation, or this film nails the idea home so well, I had to go and think of some happy thoughts and positive elements of our modern culture to feel in any way comfortable afterwards - about the future of the Australian economy and the hopes and dreams of our kids.

Scary, but riveting stuff.

Edited by 709er

• 3 months later...

HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE

This one was a big surprise for me at the movies. Took the young lad along and we both loved it. He's 10.

Great story and very cleverly written, filmed and directed in NZ.

Very funny and a whole lot of heart layered in there. Hilarious acting for the young lad playing Ricky Baker... ah ah, and Sam Neil is great Hec.

Well worth a watch. In my 'top' movies list for sure for 2016.

• 7 months later...

KONG SKULL ISLAND 3D - Aus Release - DTS HDMA 5:1 - 2.4:1

Fun action film with really good post production 3D visuals.

Bright clear picture with wonderful locations and jungle scenes. CGI abound, but WTH!

Unfortunately, the 3D offering only sported the 5:1 DTS MA, but it was excellent none the less. Full of immersing surround activity. Can confirm that the 2D disc included has Dolby Atmos audio.

3D PQ: 4.5/5

AQ: 4/5

Interesting to see Tom Hiddleston in a role like this. Spends a lot of the time looking buffed and tall, whilst Brie Larson exudes the female counterpart! Oh well! Still lots of fun and it would appear that there's more to come :)

LIFE - Aus release - DTS HDMA 7:1 - 2.35:1

What a surprise.

Short, sweet, scary and really entertaining!

Obvious similarities to Alien and The Thing, but it didn't matter.

The technical presentation was excellent and although we don't have Atmos in the HT yet, the DTS HDMA HD 7:1 audio presented extremely well with fantastic LFE and intricate surround detail.

PQ: 4/5

AQ: 4.8/5

Purchased the 4K UHD & BD through the recent JB 20% of sale. Worth every cent :)  Will rewatch when all the 4K stuff is sorted in the HTR.

Edit. Just realized my scoring was up the put! Edited now :)

Edited by 709er

13 minutes ago, 709er said:

LIFE - Aus release - DTS HDMA 7:1 - 2.35:1

What a surprise.

Short, sweet, scary and really entertaining!

Obvious similarities to Alien and The Thing, but it didn't matter.

The technical presentation was excellent and although we don't have Atmos in the HT yet, the DTS HDMA HD 7:1 audio presented extremely well with fantastic LFE and intricate surround detail.

FILM: 8/10

PQ: 8/10

AQ: 4.8/10

Purchased the 4K UHD & BD through the recent JB 20% of sale. Worth every cent :)  Will rewatch when all the 4K stuff is sorted in the HTR.

Thought the end was predictable and pathetic Ruth, of course everyone to their own.

Great cast........

17 minutes ago, yorac said:

Thought the end was predictable and pathetic Ruth, of course everyone to their own.

Great cast........

Hello! Long time no hear!

I hope that the end didn't spoil the general enjoyment of the rest. I could get lost in those visuals and audio all day :wub:

48 minutes ago, 709er said:

Hello! Long time no hear!

I hope that the end didn't spoil the general enjoyment of the rest. I could get lost in those visuals and audio all day :wub:

With you all the way, yep P and AQ outstanding Ruth.

Been back for a little while but treading softly.....

• 4 months later...

HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHERS STONE - 4K UHD - Aus release - DTS X

Wow!

Watched this this afternoon, using the $4K player, but on a 1080p 136" PJ and screen. Even so, the image quality was vastly superior to the blu ray!

The detail displayed in fabric, hair, windows, architecture etc., was incredible - and colour, was so vibrant!

The Hogwart's train, Professor Mcgonagall's cloak, the knitted Gryfindor vests, Dumbledore's embroidered hat and collar. Fabulous!

The DTS X track was something else, with such frequent use of the overhead (or in our case - front height channels), it was a whole new experience. Standout moments being the letters down the chimney and flying keys scene, not to mention excellent ambient sound such as at Gringotts. Way too many scenes to mention. John Williams excellent score being elevated to a whole new sonic level.

The included BD feature film has the ultimate (extended, but not remastered) edition, of which I have yet to watch. It will be hard however, to go back to the pre-remaster transfer.

The separate discs are in US style, slimline cases. There is the UHD and 2 x BD's, so more on offer than if purchasing via the box set (2 discs/film) which is weird, because if buying all 8 separately, the price is almost the same.

FILM: 4.2/5

PQ: 4.3/5

AQ: 4.8/5

Picked this (and the next 3) up in the recent 2 for $40 + 20% off sale at JB, so $16 each. Absolute bargain!

***It would be great to see this thread "pinned"/"stickied" to this section.

Edited by 709er
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 709er said:

***It would be great to see this thread "pinned"/"stickied" to this section.

we too watched 709, daughter finished reading the first book so timing worked well, indeed its fantastic to see these movies re released on 4k uhd and how well they have come up with it. good to know back to 1080p they still look great ! indeed i too was impressed audio wise too. look forward to seeing the next movie. 

ps ive pinned this thread on request, i think a good idea. great to see your review :)

1 hour ago, 709er said:

It would be great to see this thread "pinned"/"stickied" to this section.

3 minutes ago, :) al said:

ps ive pinned this thread on request, i think a good idea. great to see your review :)

What about M to Z? ... and this thread;

JSmith :ninja: