Sign in to follow this  
bobbyf

Panasonic Th42/50px80a Owners Thread

I read the same thing and would definitely hold off buying for the next week or two.

That was me, on friday pana site was $2799 monday its now $2399, some of the online retailers have come down,electrical discounter is $1975,digital centre is now $1820, have not been able to get back to my local store yet to see what they can do.Strange thing is panasonic did not change the TH42px80a price,they also have the TH42pz800a and TH46pz800a on their page now.

That was me, on friday pana site was $2799 monday its now $2399, some of the online retailers have come down,electrical discounter is $1975,digital centre is now $1820, have not been able to get back to my local store yet to see what they can do.Strange thing is panasonic did not change the TH42px80a price,they also have the TH42pz800a and TH46pz800a on their page now.

Any idea if anyone sells one with an extended warranty and delivered for 2000 or less in Melbourne?

EDIT: just 2 years on top of manu, I'd like 2 years absoloute minimum, ideally 3.

Edited by scottylans

Thanks - commented :)

Re: your comments - i'll take some more with a CGI film maybe when Wifie will let me near it again.

The colours for Megan Fox are pretty good actually. It's just as the sun's going down i think, so there's an orange tint to everything, in a Hollywood style

Bob

Looks good to me to,what sort of quality is your dvd player

Pioneer DV-400.

I reckon it's a bargain at $150ish for regionless playback and DivX etc

Bob

Re: your comments - i'll take some more with a CGI film maybe when Wifie will let me near it again.

The colours for Megan Fox are pretty good actually. It's just as the sun's going down i think, so there's an orange tint to everything, in a Hollywood style

Bob

I'll check out my copy see how it looks on the ole CRT

I dunno what digital camera you have but it seems often photos of the picture on a plasma come out nice.

(I did pick some faults but overall - that is definately not an unpleasant looking image)

That 1820$ 80a @ DigitalCentre looks like some kind of scam where you can ONLY buy it on interest free, or am I mis-reading it?

http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/520500/p...nch-plasma.html

http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/g/8408/rebate-promotion.html

I think I'd rather go to a store physically with actual cold hard notes and hand them to them - see if they buckle under that.

A question for those people who already have the 50px80a, what is the sound quality like from the built in speakers? Is it fine for watching tv without using a home theatre amp? A friend just bought a Samsung plasma and the sound is pretty tinny and crappy.

A question for those people who already have the 50px80a, what is the sound quality like from the built in speakers? Is it fine for watching tv without using a home theatre amp? A friend just bought a Samsung plasma and the sound is pretty tinny and crappy.

Before I comment on Straydog's post... Thanks to posters who answered my query about how the 80A units compare to the older 70A units. Straydog...It's been my experience that most flat panel tvs have crappy and tinny sound. That's because they don't have the physical depth to create the deeper bass sounds. Both my Panny plasmas have just-acceptable on-board sound. IMHO, if you buy a flat panel you should bundle it with a surround sound system, if you don't already have one, or link it to your existing stereo system if it outputs a good sound level.

More pics up

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...t&p=1075020

I find the TV's speakers to be OK for tele, but nowhere near the quality of the side speakers on the LX508

Pity there's no sub out from these Pannys. That would help alot. The Pio sounds awesome for a TV with the sub out.

My 2 cents

TV speakers should have a drill bit put through them at your first possible chance - muted for life.

That 1820$ 80a @ DigitalCentre looks like some kind of scam where you can ONLY buy it on interest free, or am I mis-reading it?

http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/p/520500/p...nch-plasma.html

http://www.digitalcentre.com.au/g/8408/rebate-promotion.html

I think I'd rather go to a store physically with actual cold hard notes and hand them to them - see if they buckle under that.

I don't think its a scam but when you get the full terms and conditions you have to pay 1 months interest minimunm + 1 months account keeping fees if you decide to pay it out straight away so its still more than the $1820 they quote.

Hi straydog,

probably this is not answering your question directly.

I have managed to compare Samsung PS50P91FDX and Panasonic TH-50PZ700A at a friend of mine house at the same time and same program (Rage, from ABC on Sunday morning). I did not impressed with sound quality of Samsung, the bass sound felt shallow and overall sound quality were plain. I have TH-42PX80A, I can tell that my Pana sound is much better than Samsung. Probably I'm too subjective but isn't sound perception is subjective too?

Thanks

Sonto

Can any owner confirm if the 50px80a has a jack for Headphones?

I can't physically confirm it as I don't have the set, but the manual says that it does - located on the front inputs panel.

Just bought a 42PX8A this morning for $1350 inc. delivery and 3 year warranty. Not a bad deal. Looking forward to setting it up tonight.

Just bought a 42PX8A this morning for $1350 inc. delivery and 3 year warranty. Not a bad deal. Looking forward to setting it up tonight.

sounds like a great deal. can I ask where you bought this from?

sounds like a great deal. can I ask where you bought this from?

Myer Chatswood. ( Sales dude was Kwong, good guy). Ticketed sale price was about $1430. I asked once for a discount and he came back with $1350. I didn't bother pushing as I knew that was the best price I had seen yet. He will do the same deal for anyone.

Can any owner confirm if the 50px80a has a jack for Headphones?

Yep, just checked mine and its there on the front.

Bob

I can't physically confirm it as I don't have the set, but the manual says that it does - located on the front inputs panel.
Yep, just checked mine and its there on the front.

Bob

Thank you! Appreciate it.

Hi all,

First of all, please find the URL for user manual: TH-42PX80A user manual

TH-50PX80A user manual

just in case you want to check something before you buy it.

I have a bit concern about the banner and its contribution to IR. The banner is something that will be dislayed at the bottom of screen everytime we change TV station. It has three lines with very instense colour, blue - white - and light grey. Default setting for showing the banner is 3 seconds and you can set value from 0 to 10 seconds. I am afraid, if during first 100-200 hours, if you change channel quite often will contribute to IR. Is anybody seen this problem before?

I know the workaround is to set 0 second or 1 second. But it would be nice if Panasonic plasma have in the menu:

- option to change banner colors

- option to have transparent banner

- option to have small size of banner with random position (but still at arround the bottom of the screen)

Thanks

Sonto

** edit URL**

Edited by sontoloyo

I have a bit concern about the banner and its contribution to IR.

No offence, but I think you're being a bit paranoid

The 3sec banner time will undoubtedly be significantly less than the viewing time per channel, i would think.

If you consider the average banner time per hour, i reckon it will be insignificant when compared to normal viewing time.

Hope this helps

Bob

I agree. I have a 50PX600 and the banner time is set to 5 secs. I usually watch using my PVR and again the banner time is about 5 secs. The very little time it is on, it hasn't resulted in any IR.

I can be confident of saying this after 20 months of usage and no issues with IR except after an all day gaming session on the PS2. It was faint and really only noticeable on a black/blank screen. Within two hours of normal viewing the IR had disappeared.