Sign in to follow this  
bobbyf

Panasonic Th42/50px80a Owners Thread

Hi guys. I dont have the time to read every post so thought I would just ask this question. My brother purchased the Th50px80a (not 100% sure if thats the model it's true 1080p/24 panel) in Dec08. I brought over some BD's recently to test, and the picture is just fake looking to me. Everything is too sharp and looks like a cheap tv show. Hard to describe but mentioned this to my other brother and he believes it's a picture enhancement setting like Motion Adaptive 3D on the Panasonic tv's. So it's adding extra frames so I'm not seeing true 1080p/24 would this be correct? I finished speaking to the brother that owns this tv and he believes it's off but will look again tonight. So my question is what settings are others using for getting a nice picture and getting true 1080p/24 without any enhancements? Thanks in advance

Edited by SimonNo10

My brother purchased the Th50px80a (not 100% sure if thats the model it's true 1080p/24 panel) in Dec08.
If it's the 1080p panel, then it would be the PZ80A. I don't think the PZ80 has Intelligent Frame Creation, or whether it can display 24fps or it converts 24fps to 50/60i.

What are his current settings - I hope it's still not on Dynamic?

No it's not on Dynamic. I saw him on the weekend and ran a few BD's and my impressions are that what I posted above just not life like. I will get the model number from him tonight, as he just quoted that one to me from memory while he was at work. Tech is not his strong suit :o

I think it's this one:

http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=4353

Edited by SimonNo10

If it is the 50PZ800, then it will have most of the bells and whistles. People seem to trun IFC off for sport etc, but it seems for movies it's OK to be left on.

I would suggest some of the other settings will need tweaking to get an acceptable picture

For me everything looks computer rendered and movies like Ironman look like a cheap soapie on TV. I wish I could convey what I'm seeing so others here know what I'm talking about. It just stands out so much. It's simply too perfect if that's possible and has a funny look to it like nothings actually real. My other brothers knows what I'm talking about as he has a Sony 1080p/24 LCD and has tried Sony's proprietry enhancements which he turned off.

If that is indead the correct model number what settings should be turned off for true 1080p/24 playback?

If that is indead the correct model number what settings should be turned off for true 1080p/24 playback?

As long as the BD player can output 1080p/24 via HDMI, the Pansonic will display it. There shouldn't be a need to turn things on/off to make 1080/24p work. However, like most other brands, enhanced picture settings like IFC etc are usually better turned off or on the lowest setting.

For me everything looks computer rendered and movies like Ironman look like a cheap soapie on TV. I wish I could convey what I'm seeing so others here know what I'm talking about. It just stands out so much. It's simply too perfect if that's possible and has a funny look to it like nothings actually real. My other brothers knows what I'm talking about as he has a Sony 1080p/24 LCD and has tried Sony's proprietry enhancements which he turned off.

*sigh*

Another adverse reaction to frame interpolation.

Just go into the setup menu and turn off intelligent frame creation.

Quick question: Is there any way to config the VGA to use audio from a different jack than AV2?

Very annoying because I have 2 devices hooked up to component, 1 on vga and none on the old composite AV3. Would make so much more sense for VGA to use AV3 for audio :/

*sigh*

Another adverse reaction to frame interpolation.

Just go into the setup menu and turn off intelligent frame creation.

Yes well it's not my TV it's my brothers. If it was mine I would read the manual and know it back to front. But it's hard to convey anything tech to him as he isn't that way inclined and this is his first big step into HT. I just haven't had the opportunity to go over there and spend time in the setup as his always playing his new game Killzone 2. But thanks for the advice will relay that to him and hope that fixes the issue. The strange thing is he actually likes it the way it is.

Edited by SimonNo10

Yes well it's not my TV it's my brothers. If it was mine I would read the manual and know it back to front. But it's hard to convey anything tech to him as he isn't that way inclined and this is his first big step into HT. I just haven't had the opportunity to go over there and spend time in the setup as his always playing his new game Killzone 2. But thanks for the advice will relay that to him and hope that fixes the issue. The strange thing is he actually likes it the way it is.

No worries, I wasn't trying to sound arrogant in my reply, I'm just annoyed at the manufacturers putting these silly features in and the reaction it causes. There are a lot of posts on here and whirlpool complaining of the exact same thing (it looks too real/too fake/like a soapie etc.)

Quick question: Is there any way to config the VGA to use audio from a different jack than AV2?

Manual says no.

Unrelated, but I am now finding that Normal picture mode is the best. The contrast is so much better than in Cinema mode. Once you are used to Normal, Cinema just looks flat (not very 3 dimensional). I measured the gamma in Normal mode at 2.2, which is spot on. In Cinema it's 1.9, which is pretty far off imo. The colours are a bit weird in Normal but I don't care because the contrast rocks!

New settings:

Normal picture mode, contrast 34, brightness 50, colour 42, sharpness 24, colour balance normal, everything else turned off.

edit: typo

Edited by pneu

The colours are a bit weird in Normal but I don't care because the contrast rocks!

I find the same on my pana plasma. Some skin tones look pastey and unrealistic in Normal. I tried changing a bunch of stuff, but just couldn't get the skin tones looking realistic enough for my tastes.

So I'm still with Cinema

No worries, I wasn't trying to sound arrogant in my reply, I'm just annoyed at the manufacturers putting these silly features in and the reaction it causes. There are a lot of posts on here and whirlpool complaining of the exact same thing (it looks too real/too fake/like a soapie etc.)

Cool np. Well I asked him about the intelligent frame creation and he did know about it and told me it's off. Personally I think he has it on as there's no way the picture would look like it does without some setting that shouldn't be on. If he switched b/w default settings like dynamic, does that enable these features automatically? Maybe that's what he is doing and his forgetting to turn them off again. Who knows until I go there and see it for myself.

Edited by SimonNo10

If he switched b/w default settings like dynamic, does that enable these features automatically? Maybe that's what he is doing and his forgetting to turn them off again.

Dynamic picture mode shouldn't affect IFC, which is in a different part of the menu and is a global setting.

I find the same on my pana plasma. Some skin tones look pastey and unrealistic in Normal. I tried changing a bunch of stuff, but just couldn't get the skin tones looking realistic enough for my tastes.

So I'm still with Cinema

All I can say is persevere with Normal mode! Once you get used to it it's incredible. People look 3 dimensional, as if you are really in the room with them. I'm quite amazed at the effect gamma has on the viewing experience. I also find it less fatiguing to watch. I read somewhere this has something to do with the added contrast giving your eyes something to "latch onto". I have to say this is what it feels like to watch.

Just thought I would mention I checked the grey ramp pattern on a 46pz800a and a 42pz800a and they both suffered the same banding, with tinges of purple and even yellow in some of the bands.

4096 steps of gradation my arse.

Just thought I would mention I checked the grey ramp pattern on a 46pz800a and a 42pz800a and they both suffered the same banding, with tinges of purple and even yellow in some of the bands.

4096 steps of gradation my arse.

Last week I thought I'd check the banding further on my 50PX80A ,but the result was inconclusive so I didn't report further. But just for the record,here is the result.

I got to wondering about possible banding in the test image,so I made my own. It was quite easy. I used Gimp 2 (a graphics program) and produced two files,one bmp and a 100% quality jpeg. The bmp was 3MB and the jpeg was 347KB as opposed to 210KB in your image. The bmp should in theory contain no compression effects, but not being a guru on video I'm just dabbling in this stuff.

My impression was that both my new files looked identical and produced slightly weaker banding and more bands and definitely no purple lines,bearing in mind that my purple lines were very difficult to see before, even with 100% contrast/ dynamic setting. The banding was still definitely there though. .the Pana will not accept a bmp file,so I displayed it through a Beyonwiz PVR via HDMI.

If you want to make your own file in gimp,open a new file,set the resolution to 1366x768,use the blend tool and drag from top to bottom on the image to give a linear greyscale image. the default is linear. Save with no compression and that's it.

If it were a problem for me I would pursue it , but I have never seen banding in TV or DVD and I don't have a Bluray. It's Interesting that it's in the full HD models too.

I'd estimate 64 to 128 steps.

Interesting, thanks for posting back your findings.

I should note that I produced the grey ramp in photoshop using the gradient tool and saved it as jpeg with maximum quality. It does not show up any banding on my computer monitor, so I thought it would be a valid test image.

I just bought the TH50PX80A yesterday from Myer in Canberra picked it up for $1600 which seemed like an okay deal.

Thanks

TH42PZ80A vs TH50PX80A - For the same price, which model should I choose? I do not use Blue ray player because I hardly use my DVD palyer! Thanks guys for advise.

TH42PZ80A vs TH50PX80A - For the same price, which model should I choose? I do not use Blue ray player because I hardly use my DVD palyer! Thanks guys for advise.

50PX80A, because it's bigger and you will see more detail than the 42" at normal viewing distances (2.5m+).

Relatives of mine have the 42PZ800A and it's a waste of resolution at normal viewing distances. I also find SD looks a bit better on the 50PX80A.

That's not to say the 42PZ is bad in any way. In fact I think the black level on it is slightly better than the 50PX.

If you can fit the 50", get it. B)

My TH50px80a just failed only 4 weeks old.Big flash of colour and then dead.Panasonic sent a sevice guy who replaced a couple of boards to get the picture back.HOWEVER the fantastic picture I had is no more.The detail is not there,looks a little out of focus at times and on camera panning shots can notice a slight jutter to the movement.sometimes looks like the picture has been projected onto a cotton sheet.Get a headache watching it.Only thing that looks ok is the slow panning shots on TENs HD loop. .Got the tech back he said he could replace yet another board but seemed to think if it had a picture it was right mate.Questions are - Has any body had same, the red standby light flashes 7 times as a fault code. Has anybody had dealings with Panasonic,I have a horrible feeling that because it 'aint totally broke' I may be stuck with it.I would rather watch my CRT. So dissapointed.

Pursue it and don't get taken for a ride. If you believe it's still not working properly get them back out there. People don't pursue things hard enough or long enough as it's just too much trouble, but if you believe it's not the same keep pushing it.

With the PX range all but gone, you are likely to be upgraded to the newer X series if they can't fix it.

Pursue it and don't get taken for a ride. If you believe it's still not working properly get them back out there. People don't pursue things hard enough or long enough as it's just too much trouble, but if you believe it's not the same keep pushing it.

With the PX range all but gone, you are likely to be upgraded to the newer X series if they can't fix it.

OK I will let you know how i get on.Definitely something wrong, maybe something with the refresh rate?someone walking across a picture for example you can see that thier arm doesnt swing in a fluid motion - hard to explain.

OK I will let you know how i get on.Definitely something wrong, maybe something with the refresh rate?someone walking across a picture for example you can see that thier arm doesnt swing in a fluid motion - hard to explain.

You should not be seeing any judder like that, get it looked at again and maybe ask for a second opinion from a different repairer.

I'm onto my 2nd 50PX80A, this one was manufactured in Dec 08 and it had a little hiccup last week. I turned it on and it was making a terrible buzzing noise. Basically the same buzzing noise which increases with average picture level but extremely loud. I then found that giving the TV a bit of a wobble on its stand made it go away and it hasn't come back since.

I find "percussive maintenance" fixes a few issues around the house. ;)

As long as it not hit too hard :lol:

We were sitting watching TV, circuit breaker trips, power in lounge goes out. Reset breaker, TV has no power.

42PX80A (3mths old), connected to Belkin PureAV surge protector (Belkin didn't trip?) all other devices on board working fine.

Rang Panasonic, technician not coming out until Monday to take it back to the shop.

Going back to the old 68cm CRT is torture...