Panasonic Th42/50px80a Owners Thread

can anyone advise how their 42PX8A / 42PZ80A looks in a very bright sunny room? I understand plasmas suffer in such conditions but I remember reading somewhere that the new Panasonics cope very well....

I was looking at a Sony 40" LCD because they are better for bright conditions, but to be honest if sunlight is no longer an issue for plasmas then I would prefer one...

FYI my plasma will be facing two very large east-facing windows. We have venetian blinds but their reflection is clearly visible on our 80cm CRT TV during the day. Due to the way our lounge room is, it is not practical to have the TV in a different position. :(

I had the same problem and ended up buying the 50PX80A in preference to the PZ models because there is an anti-glare coating on the PX. There are still reflections, but much less than I feared and after dark there is no problem at all with normal room lighting. It sounds though that your situation is worse than mine so I would go for an LCD if I were you.

I would have bought a non reflecting LCD from LG or Sony over the PZ series Panasonics. Forget the new Samsungs,they reflect worse than a plasma.

The PX has a wonderful picture in all respects.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up with the 50PZ80A for $2298, and it was in stock at the time...whilst there's a 4+ week wait on the PX, so I bit the bullet and got the PZ.

icebox,

do you mind if i ask you, where you bought this from? thanks.

What prices are you guys getting the 50px80a for? I will hopefully be getting one soon but I'm wondering if the prices will get better after its been on the market for a while. I'm hoping to pick up for under 2k. Is that possible yet?

I paid $1495 at Hardly Normal...I previously owned 42" PX70A ? . The picture on 50" is better but the sound is terrible compaired to my 42".

d sub 15 pin at both ends.

I think i have

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100, upto 64MB total available graphics MemNTWK

that's your problem. you really want an HDMI computer or dvi to hdmi adapter.

VGA is analogue, so the signal is being converted from digital to analogue i believe and then your tv converts the analogue back to digital.

hdmi laptop or pc will send an untouched digital signal to your tv and tv outputs the digital signal without doing much except scaling and any normal image processing features. but no digital analogue conversion that is a common problem with HDTVs and VGA connectors.

In the menu setup for the PC input you should be able to adjust the picture settings to get a stable picture. I have tried my VGA once just to make sure it worked and it was fine. I generally use my HDMI input as my PC has a HDMI output.

PC inputs (VGA) are invariable cripple on most TV’s for some unknown reason. Component is a better option because at least it will give you normal TV resolutions.

DVI output and a DVI to HDMI cable is the best bet.

Via this forum I purchased and picked up the Pana PX80A 50 inch in late November. I have used the suggested initial settings that got messaged to me.

Now I want to get some suggested settings for the picture settings.

I mainly watch lots of normal DVD's not blu ray and generally watch the high def TV channels etc during late afternoon and evening times.

Any suggestions would be great.

Via this forum I purchased and picked up the Pana PX80A 50 inch in late November. I have used the suggested initial settings that got messaged to me.

Now I want to get some suggested settings for the picture settings.

I mainly watch lots of normal DVD's not blu ray and generally watch the high def TV channels etc during late afternoon and evening times.

Any suggestions would be great.

Ravi, if you used the ones I pointed you to from Tweaktv, I found them to be not as good as Owens ones, here is Owens

The best and most accurate setup I could come up with for all round nigh-day viewing without getting into the service menu was “Cinema” mode, with Contrast = 55, Brightness =47, Colour =48, Sharpness =50, Colour Management =Off and Colour mode set to “Warm”.

that's your problem. you really want an HDMI computer or dvi to hdmi adapter.

VGA is analogue, so the signal is being converted from digital to analogue i believe and then your tv converts the analogue back to digital.

hdmi laptop or pc will send an untouched digital signal to your tv and tv outputs the digital signal without doing much except scaling and any normal image processing features. but no digital analogue conversion that is a common problem with HDTVs and VGA connectors.

on my previous 32 inch panasonic lcd, the computer looked fine on the tv using the d sub 15 pin cable

You should be ok for the PX, unless you have spare and wish to go to Z (full hd) series.

I was at knox HN (melbourne) and they have both side by side, at about 3m or bit less I would get the PX and put the rest to a good dvd or other goodies.

I have 42 inch non full hd. I'm at 2.5m. I think HD looks good, SD is not always good. It depends on the quality of the content I guess.

on my previous 32 inch panasonic lcd, the computer looked fine on the tv using the d sub 15 pin cable

yeah but its 32" so it's less likely to show imperfections of VGA. a 50" will look worse. most people might find it acceptable. but you are much more likely to receive image problems with it. playback of video at 60hz and no correct 3:2 handling etc, image noise, weaker signal so screen flickers more.

if anyone has seen dual screens set up on an older card that had a dvi and vga port, side by side you clearly see vgas limitations, an that can be on 2 17" monitors.

Probably a bit under 3 meters.

3 meters is not close, it’s a LONG way back for a 50” screen.

For 1080 video at 3 meters a 70” or larger screen is required.

For the average person to fully resolve 1080 on a 50’ screen they would need to sit about 2.1 meters away or less.

60” 1080 TV owners should be about 2.5 meters back for 1080 HD viewing.

If you cant see the individual pixels on a 768 TV at your viewing distance, no way 1080 is usefull.

Hey everyone, I've had a good read through this thread and I was wondering if this plasma screen is still a good buy?

Because I looked it up on the JB Hi-fi website and noticed that it was "superseded", I don't know if this is an error or if there is a new model coming. I have been saving up my summer pay to get a screen and I think the 50in is the one for me! I just want to make sure that I don't buy one that is superseded straight away :(

Guest T30SXH

I signed up for a TH-50PX80A from Hardly Normal on the weekend. Unfortunately they had no stock, so it won't be delivered for a couple of weeks, but that gives me time to paint the living room wall and order a lowline entertainment unit.

My wife wanted the 42", but we're sitting 3.5 - 3.7m away from the screen so I talked her into the 50" and the room's big enough not to be dominated by the screen.

I paid ticket price of $1595, as the sales person wouldn't budge on the interest free credit. Almost laughed when he tried extolling the virtues of the Belkin HDMI cable for $120.

Hey everyone, I've had a good read through this thread and I was wondering if this plasma screen is still a good buy?

Because I looked it up on the JB Hi-fi website and noticed that it was "superseded", I don't know if this is an error or if there is a new model coming. I have been saving up my summer pay to get a screen and I think the 50in is the one for me! I just want to make sure that I don't buy one that is superseded straight away :(

If you can get your hands onto it for about $1500, it is a very good buy. There is no direct new model for this as all the other newer ones are FULL HD, and those models have been around for a while. PX in its presence is still the current model, the other Z series are newer but they are not direct replacement of it.

IE, previous to TH50PX80A, was the TH50PX70A, there is no TH50PX90A out there so it has not been superseeded yet.

Panasonic at some stage will try to clear all these as they may be bringing only Full hd oue??????????!!!!!!!!!!

If you can get your hands onto it for about $1500, it is a very good buy. There is no direct new model for this as all the other newer ones are FULL HD, and those models have been around for a while. PX in its presence is still the current model, the other Z series are newer but they are not direct replacement of it.

IE, previous to TH50PX80A, was the TH50PX70A, there is no TH50PX90A out there so it has not been superseeded yet.

Panasonic at some stage will try to clear all these as they may be bringing only Full hd oue??????????!!!!!!!!!!

Great, thanks for that. As the user above said, the Harvey Norman ticket price is $1595 and I'd be happy to pay that if I like it in the store. I'll try and bargain down a bit but I've never tried to do that before, so who knows how I'll go haha.

I am thinking of using their 500 days interest free offer and try to pay it all before the 500 days. Would anyone recommend/discourage this idea?

And anyone keen to recommend a good DVD player +/- speaker system to go with this telly? I've already made the decision to get a Tivo HD.