Panasonic Th42/50px80a Owners Thread

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a 50" px80a for my bro - Is there a need to run it in for 50 - 100hrs with no dvd's or video games? Cheers fellas.

The only recommendation I would give new users is take it off "Dynamic" and switch back to "Normal" or "Cinema" mode and reduce the brightness and contrast below 50% for the first 100-200 hours.

After that you can set it up as you like.

As for playing games and watching DVDs, I would resist the urge to play games hours on end, keep it to short 1 hour stints interspersed with FTA or full screen DVD, but other than that, you should be right.

Edited by diesel

Just got a 50" px80a for my bro - Is there a need to run it in for 50 - 100hrs with no dvd's or video games? Cheers fellas.

Gamer, Owen had this setup for his family 42incher panasonic, I have applied it on the 50incher and it is good enough for now;

The best and most accurate setup I could come up with for all round nigh-day viewing without getting into the service menu was “Cinema” mode, with Contrast = 55, Brightness =47, Colour =48, Sharpness =50, Colour Management =Off and Colour mode set to “Warm”.

As for playing games and watching DVDs, I would resist the urge to play games hours on end, keep it to short 1 hour stints interspersed with FTA or full screen DVD, but other than that, you should be right.

So guys, do you mean take it easy on games, dvds in the first 100-200 hrs or permanently?

My first experience with plasma as you can probably tell. Thanks.

Edited by xclusive_gamer

So guys, do you mean take it easy on games, dvds in the first 100-200 hrs or permanently?

My first experience with plasma as you can probably tell. Thanks.

DVDs - I wouldn't worry,

Games just take it easy - no more than an hour or so max at a time.

Just remember to take the Picture setting off Dynamic and reduce brightness and contrast to 50%

Edited by diesel

I wouldn't worry about permanent burn in after the initial 100-200hrs. I recently pulled a 12hr gaming session in 4:3 pillarbox with static objects on the screen 99% of the time, and while there was a fair bit of IR immediately after, it disappeared mostly within around 5-10mins.

I was going to say PX, then you added "probably with BR" , now I dont know how much better the pic difference would be running a bluray between PX and PZ, I would say PZ would be better, but If you buy the PZ sounds like you may not be able to buy the BluRay, so katch22.

But still taking all above into account PX with BL and still money in your pocket to buy some DVDs.

Also I dont think you will have to move that much back the closest seat, say 2.5m to 3m, would be ok.

It comes down to, better pq quite a bit more money, to pretty good pq for a decent amount.

See how you go. Would be good to get some feedback from someone with the PX and BluRay for you to decide.

Cheers for that. Think I should be looking/posting on px thread then!

After deliberating for a long time over whether to go for the 50pz800/80 or the 50px80 i bought the 50px80 on Monday. Wall mounted it yesterday (got the Selby Universal Tilt Bracket Black PLB103b which worked perfectly well) and couldnt be happier. We watch mainly FTA and DVDs - viewing distance of 3m. It passed its first test run last night of NYE telecasts and Gladiator DVD with flying colours, now to watch all my old DVDs again!

This is a fine TV - and unbelievable value considering it cost less than half my old Sony 76cm wega widescreen purchased 5 or 6 years ago...

After deliberating for a long time over whether to go for the 50pz800/80 or the 50px80 i bought the 50px80 on Monday. Wall mounted it yesterday (got the Selby Universal Tilt Bracket Black PLB103b which worked perfectly well) and couldnt be happier. We watch mainly FTA and DVDs - viewing distance of 3m. It passed its first test run last night of NYE telecasts and Gladiator DVD with flying colours, now to watch all my old DVDs again!

This is a fine TV - and unbelievable value considering it cost less than half my old Sony 76cm wega widescreen purchased 5 or 6 years ago...

Do you use the upscaler of the 50PX80 for watching DVDs? How is the quality at 3m?

Have only used the DVD player to upscale at this stage, comparing this with the tv upscaler is on my list of things to do.

Hi there

Great to here you are enjoying your new plasma. What determined your choice of the px over the pz? I'm deciding whether i go down to HN now and get the pz or wait for three weeks and get the px at a cheaper price.

Your advice would be appreciated - soon if you could.

Cheers

Hi there

Great to here you are enjoying your new plasma. What determined your choice of the px over the pz? I'm deciding whether i go down to HN now and get the pz or wait for three weeks and get the px at a cheaper price.

Your advice would be appreciated - soon if you could.

Cheers

It came down to a few things in the end

- at 3m I didnt think i could see much difference

- my viewing diet is FTA (sports) dominated with a bit of DVD, and am not planning on upgrading to BR for a while so no need for a 1080p tv

- price. i put my haggle hat on a few times but could not get a 50pz800 in Adelaide for anywhere near what others are reporting here - the price difference was ~$1300... ie almost double!!

It came down to a few things in the end

- at 3m I didnt think i could see much difference

- my viewing diet is FTA (sports) dominated with a bit of DVD, and am not planning on upgrading to BR for a while so no need for a 1080p tv

- price. i put my haggle hat on a few times but could not get a 50pz800 in Adelaide for anywhere near what others are reporting here - the price difference was ~$1300... ie almost double!!

Thanks for that. I appreciate all of these points. Similar viewing diet to this household.

Haggling and bargains for me (in Tassie) is probably even harder.

The main reason for me is the price factor. Can't really justify the extra $$ for (debatable) picture difference. I'm interested in Blu Ray - but probably not until prices for discs and players/recorders are more reasonable (for me). I think when I do get in to Blu -Ray the px should serve me well.

Cheers for your info.

The PX80A is an awesome TV, especially for the money. However, I couldn't justify buying a new tv and not having it be full HD. I'm the sort of person who would always regret it down the track and always wonder "how much better would this movie have looked in full HD?"

I ended up with the 50PZ80A for $2298, and it was in stock at the time...whilst there's a 4+ week wait on the PX, so I bit the bullet and got the PZ.

The PX80A is an awesome TV, especially for the money. However, I couldn't justify buying a new tv and not having it be full HD. I'm the sort of person who would always regret it down the track and always wonder "how much better would this movie have looked in full HD?"

I ended up with the 50PZ80A for $2298, and it was in stock at the time...whilst there's a 4+ week wait on the PX, so I bit the bullet and got the PZ.

You have to have good source and sit close enough to be able to see the diff. Most people dont. Enjoy your tv.

Edited by dlpnut

If you go down that road how much better would movies (and everything else) have looked on a Pioneer LX509 or even better an LX609, quite a bit in my view, but you have to draw the line somewhere. The PZ is a little better then the PX in areas other then resolution, so if you can afford it why not.

Edited by Owen

Gamer, Owen had this setup for his family 42incher panasonic, I have applied it on the 50incher and it is good enough for now;

The best and most accurate setup I could come up with for all round nigh-day viewing without getting into the service menu was “Cinema” mode, with Contrast = 55, Brightness =47, Colour =48, Sharpness =50, Colour Management =Off and Colour mode set to “Warm”.

dad just bought the 50px80a........i cant make it up to brisbane to help him set it up..............if you don't mind i'll pass this onto him to give him hand

can anyone advise how their 42PX8A / 42PZ80A looks in a very bright sunny room? I understand plasmas suffer in such conditions but I remember reading somewhere that the new Panasonics cope very well....

I was looking at a Sony 40" LCD because they are better for bright conditions, but to be honest if sunlight is no longer an issue for plasmas then I would prefer one...

FYI my plasma will be facing two very large east-facing windows. We have venetian blinds but their reflection is clearly visible on our 80cm CRT TV during the day. Due to the way our lounge room is, it is not practical to have the TV in a different position. :(

can anyone advise how their 42PX8A / 42PZ80A looks in a very bright sunny room? I understand plasmas suffer in such conditions but I remember reading somewhere that the new Panasonics cope very well....

I was looking at a Sony 40" LCD because they are better for bright conditions, but to be honest if sunlight is no longer an issue for plasmas then I would prefer one...

FYI my plasma will be facing two very large east-facing windows. We have venetian blinds but their reflection is clearly visible on our 80cm CRT TV during the day. Due to the way our lounge room is, it is not practical to have the TV in a different position. :(

Most plasmas will probably suffer more then LCD in that kind of daylight environment, plasma=glass, lcd=plastic screen.

Althought most plasmas have antireflective (or some kind of coating) to cater for sunny rooms, it is up to an individual.

Put it this way. you may suffer a bit with Plasma, but it will more then make up when the sun goes down.

I have a pio 507 in a sunlit environment, our screens are those "sun screens", and we dont mind watching the pio.

also take into account that although lcds work better with more ambient light, they still suck if sun is facing them directly. isntead of reflecting, they have white spots.

i think having a living room designed that way will cause issues with tvs, so perhaps just go for what technology has a better picture for night time viewing, which is plasma over lcd.