Panasonic Th42/50px80a Owners Thread

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mastersv8 - $1800 with 5 yr warranty & antenna cable, thats a fantastic deal....

I'll enter my settings tonight - wife told me off last night when I was messing about.

Cheers

Matt

No probs Matt!! I got that price from a close friend who is a Manager at leading T.V Store in Melb and that was cost price he gave me after my other T.V an Lg RT-44sz80LB had the lamp **** itself then the motherboard whent after 4yrs of service. Never goin an LG again.

Edited by Mastersv8

What LG do you have??? And overall are you saying the LG is better over the Pana??

The LG I had was the 50PG60UD. It looked a lot better than the pana in terms of colour accuracy and video processing (de-interlacing, scaling, noise reduction) but as I said the black level on it was bad (nowhere near the panasonic) as was the dynamic dimming (brightness flickers occasionally) and the input lag made it unsuitable for my gaming needs. The image retention was also notably worse.

The 50PX80 on the other hand has none of those problems but I find the colours on it quite inaccurate at times (skin tones mostly), the SD scaling is too soft and MPEG compression artefacts show up more on it. However, give it a nice feed and it looks great. Overall the 50PX80 is my choice and I will be buying one as soon as stock becomes available.

The biggest disappointment I have with the TV is the remote - and particularly the lack of a "jump" button which allows you to jump between the same 2 channels - i.e jump between the SBS and Seven HD olympics channel. Even my 51cm CRT Conia has this function!

Does the return button do it? I seem to remember jumping between channels on the old model pana, but I could be mistaken.

Does the return button do it? I seem to remember jumping between channels on the old model pana, but I could be mistaken.

No the return button dosent jump channels to the last one viewed! I tried all my buttons and it seems that it isnt available on these models.

The LG I had was the 50PG60UD. It looked a lot better than the pana in terms of colour accuracy and video processing (de-interlacing, scaling, noise reduction) but as I said the black level on it was bad (nowhere near the panasonic) as was the dynamic dimming (brightness flickers occasionally) and the input lag made it unsuitable for my gaming needs. The image retention was also notably worse.

The 50PX80 on the other hand has none of those problems but I find the colours on it quite inaccurate at times (skin tones mostly), the SD scaling is too soft and MPEG compression artefacts show up more on it. However, give it a nice feed and it looks great. Overall the 50PX80 is my choice and I will be buying one as soon as stock becomes available.

So if you were not into gaming what would be your choice then?? still the panasonic?

Hi All,

I thought this thread was all about sharing our settings for the new 8 series panels? There's only been 1 post that even attempted to address this issue?

I will post mine tonight so if anyone else, like me, spends 10 minutes reading all 6 pages of this thread, at least there will be one post that discusses settings..

Come on, let's have em lads

Matt

Hi Matt, I'll take the bait.

After having a 42PX80A for about 5 weeks, and having run it in with settings of cinema, contrast 45, brightness 45, colour 50, sharpness 50 I have now settled on the following settings: cinema mode, contrast 70, brightness 50, colour 65, sharpness 80, tone normal. I have yet to see any difference with P/NR set to anything, so it is off for the moment. I may yet wind the sharpness down a bit, but these settings look pretty good to me for the moment in both bright daylight and at night. I tried the non-cinema modes, but they were too contrasty and the shadow areas seemed to loose definition just going to black. These settings with cinema mode and the colour up gives the required detail in the shadows and the punchy colours of the more dynamic modes.

hey just wondering if you guys compared your set to the 1080p models in store before purchasing and did some full testing?

I went into Myer and Retravision today, Myer had the Panasonic 50PX80 set up near some 1080p LG and samsungs, and Retravision had the PX80 set up next to the PZ85 or soemthing? the 1080p model.

Both were just playing Channel 7 AFL, not sure if it was 7HD. But in both occasions you could clearly see the difference between 1080p and 720p. Much more noticeable than between an LX508 and 508XD pioneer.

But of course, I did not tweak any settings or get to see how the tvs compared playing a bluray or something true hd.

I have considering getting one of these PX80s as they seem quite cheap, get good reviews by people on forums, have better contrast than the LG's which has started to put me off buying one, and they seem to have a good brightness to them if needed for watching during the day. i just hope what I saw wasn't a true comparison to how good this set is, but yeah for some reason i could really see the difference between the two which bothered me somewhat.

Ensure both screens are showing the same feed/channel and then move back about 3m and you should see little difference.

yeah that's what i did at retravision. i went back about 5 m and there wasnt a huge difference, but up about 2m there was, it looked much more pixelated than the 1080p model. which makes me wonder if the 1080p model has a better video processor as well?

im keen to get one of these because they are cheap and it will hold me over until next year.

i am trying to decide whether to get the 42px8a or the 50px80a. I am leaning towards the 42 because the size is more appropriate for me and obviously they are cheaper. One concern that i had which i was hoping someone could shed some light on is the differnce in resolution. The 42 has 1024x768 while the 50 has 1366x768. I intend on using the screen for mainly xbox 360 gaming, which i think has games mainly displaying natively at 720p (1280x720). So in either case the 720p must be scaled for both tv's (downscaled for the 42 and upscaled for the 50). Does anyone know if there is any noticable difference between the quality of these two tv's due to the resolution differences, in particular for 720p sources like xbox? Any other differces noted or opinions would be welcomed. Btw i will be viewing these tv from 2m.

Thanks in advance

Got mine last Sat. Will be upgrading my dvd player soon as my old one is starting to play up. Currently I am using my HT with 5.1ch output which is connected to the dvd player then to the tv via video component only. If I upgrade to those dvd players with HDMI output & 5.1ch output as well, would there be any issues with the sync of video and audio.

i am trying to decide whether to get the 42px8a or the 50px80a. I am leaning towards the 42 because the size is more appropriate for me and obviously they are cheaper. One concern that i had which i was hoping someone could shed some light on is the differnce in resolution. The 42 has 1024x768 while the 50 has 1366x768. I intend on using the screen for mainly xbox 360 gaming, which i think has games mainly displaying natively at 720p (1280x720). So in either case the 720p must be scaled for both tv's (downscaled for the 42 and upscaled for the 50). Does anyone know if there is any noticable difference between the quality of these two tv's due to the resolution differences, in particular for 720p sources like xbox? Any other differces noted or opinions would be welcomed. Btw i will be viewing these tv from 2m.

Thanks in advance

From my experience the 1366x768 50" screens do look a bit better in terms of resolution and dot pitch. 42" 1024x768 still looks great though, but if you display some sharp text you might see a tiny bit of aliasing in the horizontal direction due to the rectangular pixels. Its very minor though, both look great.

After having a 42PX80A for about 5 weeks, and having run it in with settings of cinema, contrast 45, brightness 45, colour 50, sharpness 50 I have now settled on the following settings: cinema mode, contrast 70, brightness 50, colour 65, sharpness 80, tone normal. I have yet to see any difference with P/NR set to anything, so it is off for the moment. I may yet wind the sharpness down a bit, but these settings look pretty good to me for the moment in both bright daylight and at night. I tried the non-cinema modes, but they were too contrasty and the shadow areas seemed to loose definition just going to black. These settings with cinema mode and the colour up gives the required detail in the shadows and the punchy colours of the more dynamic modes.

Thanks JaffaMan.. Will give that a go..

Just got my 50px80a last week and so far I am very impressed. PQ looks even better in my home compared to what I saw in the shops. I have teemed it up with a Pana DMR-EX78 DVD Recorder / 250GB Hard Disc Drive PVR via HDMI cable. Love the way the units interact with each other so you only ever need to use 1 remote to operate most functions.

I'm totally wrapped !!

yay!! 1st post

Edited by Mitte

From my experience the 1366x768 50" screens do look a bit better in terms of resolution and dot pitch. 42" 1024x768 still looks great though, but if you display some sharp text you might see a tiny bit of aliasing in the horizontal direction due to the rectangular pixels. Its very minor though, both look great.

Thanks mate, i think i will go for the 42 if you don't think there is too much difference.

I considered the 800a series for full HD but when i found out that very few games output 1080p natively anyway i decided on the cheaper model for the time being, at least until blu ray become standard. Then the spare cash i saved from this will probably go pretty far for a 1080p set. Most people seem pretty stoked with the picture quality of the 80a series anyway. Thanks again for your reply

Got mine today (50px80a). Mucked around with the settings and felt I could not get rid of redness in skin tones. Found your settings and I reckon they are pretty good.

Hi All,

I've had my 42PX80A for a week now and am very pleased with the acquisition I made. Again, thanks to everyone who provided feedback/comments, etc. This forum indeed helped a lot in making my decision.

One question though, I've noticed that when I watch FTA, sometimes I can see a flicker in the screen. But when I watch dvds, nothing at all. Would that be something to do with the reception?

Cheers!!!

Hi All

50PX80A owner here. I've had it for about a month and it's been awesome until tonite... the remote decided to stop working?!?!?

- volume goes down but not up

- cannot access menu

- can access guide but cannot select with OK

+ many more functions don't work whilst others do

Anybody have any idea whats going on here...please? Yes the batteries are brand new.

Thanks!

50PX80A owner here. I've had it for about a month and it's been awesome until tonite... the remote decided to stop working?!?!?

- volume goes down but not up

- cannot access menu

- can access guide but cannot select with OK

+ many more functions don't work whilst others do

Anybody have any idea whats going on here...please? Yes the batteries are brand new.

Hi ryc

I had a similar issue with my PX600 about two or three months ago. I started to apnic as the TV was less than 2 years old. It was definitely not the remote as I use a harmony. So I tried the Pana remote and still no response. I did a factory reset and it's back working fine again.

Does anyone know if the 50PX80A suffers the problem where DVB reception drops out if you give the TV a HDMI signal through the rear inputs?

See my post on the previous page... happens not only with the rear HDMI input, but the front one as well.