Panasonic Th42/50px80a Owners Thread

TV speakers should have a drill bit put through them at your first possible chance - muted for life.

lol..lol..lol

i have thought this for years.. why cant they just sell us a panel without the speakers and amps . even the tuner could go..... all i want is a picture from the panel. the surround does the sound...and the foxbox/STB does the tuning..... should make the panel a bit cheaper... dream on..lol

ps any one know of a good price in Bris? best so far is 1500 for the 42"80a from retravision but he wants 249 for the extended warranty ? HN wanted over 1600!!

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.. why cant they just sell us a panel without the speakers and amps . even the tuner could go..... all i want is a picture from the panel. the surround does the sound...and the foxbox/STB does the tuning..... should make the panel a bit cheaper... dream on..lol

They do. They are the commercial panels, and they are better than their consumer equivalent.

Have a look here:-

http://panasonic.com.au/products/category.cfm?objectID=2917

I've got a 3yr old TH42PWD7UY, and its fantastic - its in the kids playroom now that i've got the new tele.

Bob

ps any one know of a good price in Bris? best so far is 1500 for the 42"80a from retravision but he wants 249 for the extended warranty ? HN wanted over 1600!!

Best price is $1531 for the 50PX80A, or $1170 for 42PX8A , check the other threads for receipts.

I'm off to get the 50PX80 :)

Best price is $1531 for the 50PX80A, or $1170 for 42PX8A , check the other threads for receipts.

I'm off to get the 50PX80 :)

50PX80a is too big to fit in :angry2:

42 is the biggest i can get. what is the diff between the 8a and the 80a ? apart from the extra HDMI port?

50PX80A

had mine for three weeks now and yes it is much better than my 60cm Pana CRT.

HOWEVER.....

was at a mates place on Saturday night watching the AFL on CH10HD

His LG PB2DR blew mine away as far as PQ.

When you see the players at a wider shot there was none of the pixel/noise/fuzz

whatever the hell you call it around the players. The LG was beautiful!

I almost thought he had a FullHD plasma but no, the LG is the same 1366 x 768.

Even close ups seemed sharper and with more detail!

I am pissed off to be honest.

My signal strength and quality is 10/10 going from what the plasma is telling me.

Thought it could be my SDPVR so I disconnected and had the signal going directly into the back of the

pana, no diff!

Rang the retailer, they said ring Pana, they said ring the service people.

A call out will cost $110 if no fault is found.

Posted the same Q asking if it could be my antenna but the replies suggested that it isn't.

WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW...

how is the PQ of others AFL broadcasts on the HD channels?

do you get this fuzz around the players?

I might try pause the screen and take some screen shots on the weekend of the AFL and post up.

Maybe do some comparisons with others.

HOWEVER.....

was at a mates place on Saturday night watching the AFL on CH10HD

His LG PB2DR blew mine away as far as PQ.

When you see the players at a wider shot there was none of the pixel/noise/fuzz

whatever the hell you call it around the players. The LG was beautiful!

I almost thought he had a FullHD plasma but no, the LG is the same 1366 x 768.

Even close ups seemed sharper and with more detail!

I am pissed off to be honest.

I have had both LG and Panasonic plasmas (768p models) and can tell you the video processing (i.e scaling , de-interlacing, noise reduction etc.) is much better on the LG.

The Panas just have a noisier harsher picture and show up the compression artefacts more than the LG, which is probably what you're seeing (the "fuzz around the players" you were describing).

I doubt theres anything wrong with your panel but would be interested to see pics anyway.

The diff is just about enough to want me sell the Pana and go and get the LG!!!!

I see in the specs for the LG that it has a feature called "enhanced line doubler"

which might be the advantage, don't know.

I did ring panasonic and the lady told me to turn off a setting in the setup menu which apparently fixes the problem,

but when I told her that I can't see this feature she checked and said "oh these models doesn't have it"

NOT GOOD

The diff is just about enough to want me sell the Pana and go and get the LG!!!!

The LG has terrible blacks, the brightness flickers depending on what is on screen (dynamic dimming) and imo there is too much input lag for gaming.

I see in the specs for the LG that it has a feature called "enhanced line doubler" which might be the advantage, don't know.

That's probably their term for "de-interlacer", which I believe is superior on the LG.

I did ring panasonic and the lady told me to turn off a setting in the setup menu which apparently fixes the problem, but when I told her that I can't see this feature she checked and said "oh these models doesn't have it"

You could try the noise reduction option in the picture menu but it's not that great.

I picked up my 42px80A on Thursday, and after going from a 51" CRT that is 6yo to this... Well I am one happy chappy.. This unit was on the wall surrounded by many others, and I was most impressed with its picture. I have coupled it to a SC-HT65 HT, which replaced a 10yo phillips HT.. The jury is still out on that one at the moment, until I get the rear speakers up at least..

I now have a question..

Is there any benefit to running one of these burn in DVD's??? At the moment I have wound back the brightness and contrast settings, but I am curious if I should use one of these burn in programs?

After looking at those Blu Ray pics that were posted... Well lets just say that a Blu Ray player is now on the shopping list.... :D

I picked up my 42px80A on Thursday, and after going from a 51" CRT that is 6yo to this... Well I am one happy chappy.. This unit was on the wall surrounded by many others, and I was most impressed with its picture. I have coupled it to a SC-HT65 HT, which replaced a 10yo phillips HT.. The jury is still out on that one at the moment, until I get the rear speakers up at least..

I now have a question..

Is there any benefit to running one of these burn in DVD's??? At the moment I have wound back the brightness and contrast settings, but I am curious if I should use one of these burn in programs?

After looking at those Blu Ray pics that were posted... Well lets just say that a Blu Ray player is now on the shopping list.... :D

G'day vk2mpj,

Just wondering how much did you get the unit for and whereabouts did you get it from. It seems that it is hard to get the now since they are out of stock and would have to wait until Sept.

Cheers 12BHD

I got mine from Joyce Mayne in Nowra, they had a couple in stock and on special for $1525, but I got mine plus HT plus quad shield coax 5 years warranty on the TV and 6 on the HT for $2488.. They had a grand re-opening sale after a fire forced them to relocate to a temp joint while their store got repaired

They did mention that I got the last of the HT's they had in stock and it looked like November before they were getting any more in

Edited by vk2mpj

I now have a question..

Not really any benefit IMO. Winding back the contrast and brightness and changing Picture settings to Normal (off Dynamic) will serve you well.

Hi All,

I thought this thread was all about sharing our settings for the new 8 series panels? There's only been 1 post that even attempted to address this issue?

I will post mine tonight so if anyone else, like me, spends 10 minutes reading all 6 pages of this thread, at least there will be one post that discusses settings..

Come on, let's have em lads

Matt

After owning this TV for about a week, the report is very positive.

The shiny stand shows a fair bit of dust however.

The biggest disappointment I have with the TV is the remote - and particularly the lack of a "jump" button which allows you to jump between the same 2 channels - i.e jump between the SBS and Seven HD olympics channel. Even my 51cm CRT Conia has this function!

After owning this TV for about a week, the report is very positive.

The shiny stand shows a fair bit of dust however.

The biggest disappointment I have with the TV is the remote - and particularly the lack of a "jump" button which allows you to jump between the same 2 channels - i.e jump between the SBS and Seven HD olympics channel. Even my 51cm CRT Conia has this function!

sorry posted a reply here but thought it was about the Pioneer - didnt read it properly first :wacko:

Edited by spalmills

Hi All,

I thought this thread was all about sharing our settings for the new 8 series panels? There's only been 1 post that even attempted to address this issue?

I will post mine tonight so if anyone else, like me, spends 10 minutes reading all 6 pages of this thread, at least there will be one post that discusses settings..

Come on, let's have em lads

Matt

Well i thought i would join in this thread to after i bought a Pana 50px80a yesterday and man i am stoked!!! Fantastic PQ all round and Channel 7 HD olympic broadcast is just awesome quality ( Like your there!!!!)

I paid $1800 with a 5 yr extended warranty and delivery and a monster gold plated antenna cable to go with it!! Rapt with the price.

Now as it was stated before where are everyones preffered PQ settings?? Would be good to see what others use in relation for opinions on best Pic setups!! ;)

I have had both LG and Panasonic plasmas (768p models) and can tell you the video processing (i.e scaling , de-interlacing, noise reduction etc.) is much better on the LG.

The Panas just have a noisier harsher picture and show up the compression artefacts more than the LG, which is probably what you're seeing (the "fuzz around the players" you were describing).

I doubt theres anything wrong with your panel but would be interested to see pics anyway.

What LG do you have??? And overall are you saying the LG is better over the Pana??