Panasonic Th42/50px80a Owners Thread

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This works on all inputs except FTA DVB which is locked at 16:9

It works on my 42px80a, was watching some caught on camera cop show today on channel 7 fta which was in 4:3

so i hit the aspect button and it went from 16:9 to 4:3 full.

Had a look at the 42px80A and the 8A at HN and quite like what i saw. How could you justify paying extra for the 80A unless you really need the 3rd HDMI inout though? As far as I can see the 2 sets are identical apart from the extra input and card reader. Is that the case or am I missing something?

Had a look at the 42px80A and the 8A at HN and quite like what i saw. How could you justify paying extra for the 80A unless you really need the 3rd HDMI inout though? As far as I can see the 2 sets are identical apart from the extra input and card reader. Is that the case or am I missing something?

Correct...but when someone in another thread got a price of $1150 for the 80A with 5yr wrranty and delivery...how could you pass it up.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...&start=6880

I picked up the 8a for $1170 on Friday. Lovely set!

Guest oncea

I said in an earlier post that HDMI was not working on my new 50px80a but that is not correct. Tried one more time and all has come good. So now I'm really happy.

Does anyone know how to access the 42PX8A service menu? I've searched everywhere and I can't find it. I've tried some of the suggestions, but they didn't work as I assume they're for UK models. Mainly want to check my usage hours.

Try holding V/- on the front panel of the TV while pressing i (info) on the remote three times. I think the hours are displayed as a certain number but its not in hours format , it could be seconds or minutes or something else.

Try holding V/- on the front panel of the TV while pressing i (info) on the remote three times. I think the hours are displayed as a certain number but its not in hours format , it could be seconds or minutes or something else.

I heard someone say that doing that wiped all the settings and channels, so I didn't want to try that. Can you confirm it doesn't do that?

I heard someone say that doing that wiped all the settings and channels, so I didn't want to try that. Can you confirm it doesn't do that?

There is a different service menu which, if you go into it, will reset the tv to "shipping condition", but that is not the one I referred to so you should be ok.

There is a different service menu which, if you go into it, will reset the tv to "shipping condition", but that is not the one I referred to so you should be ok.

Well it worked, but I had no idea what any of it meant :(

Anyone know what I'm looking for exactly? I don't want to break anything.

Well it worked, but I had no idea what any of it meant :(

Anyone know what I'm looking for exactly? I don't want to break anything.

WARNING!

Don't go into service menus without knowing what you are doing. Too many times have posters cried for help on this forum after going into their panel's service menu (just to find how many hours the panel has been used) and they bugger up* their panel's settings.

*technical term

I am looking at buying the 50PX80A but I have a couple of concerns:

I have read posts from 2 different people who have upgraded from a 42PX to the 50PX80 and have said they are disappointed with the picture, noting that the 42" looked clearer and the 50" looks blurry in comparison. Does anyone else agree with this? From my own experience I have had a 42PX7A and then upgraded to an LG 50" 768p and thought the LG looked much clearer. Even the dot pitch on it looked higher than the 42" pana. So I am confused as to why poeple would say the 50PX80 looks blurrier than a 42PX.

Another post I read mentioned the pictures from the internal tuner were not as clear as having an external HD STB connected to the TV, is there any truth to that?

Thanks

I am looking at buying the 50PX80A but I have a couple of concerns:

I have read posts from 2 different people who have upgraded from a 42PX to the 50PX80 and have said they are disappointed with the picture, noting that the 42" looked clearer and the 50" looks blurry in comparison. Does anyone else agree with this? From my own experience I have had a 42PX7A and then upgraded to an LG 50" 768p and thought the LG looked much clearer. Even the dot pitch on it looked higher than the 42" pana. So I am confused as to why poeple would say the 50PX80 looks blurrier than a 42PX.

Another post I read mentioned the pictures from the internal tuner were not as clear as having an external HD STB connected to the TV, is there any truth to that?

Can you point us at those posts? There is no logical reason I can see for that.

If anything it's simply because they are now "closer" (in a virtual sense) to the somewhat crappy FTA we have due to limited bandwidth

One of the posts was from this forum, but I can't seem to find it, perhaps that user could comment further if they are reading this?

The other post was from avsforum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....06#post14270806

Pages 93 and 94.

They are referring to the US version which will be different to ours, in terms of the internal tuner. They run on NTSC (480 lines), whereas we use the higher resolution PAL system (576 lines). Having lived in the states and watched crappy NTSC on a 55" RPTV, i know it can look a bit ropey, but a good quality PAL or better still 1080i FTA like we get will look great or stunning on the Aus version. At least mine is to me anyway.

As always, go to the store and see if you can do a comparison. You can compare 42PX80 with 50PX80 pretty easy in most stores i reckon.

Good luck

Bob

Can you point us at those posts? There is no logical reason I can see for that.

If anything it's simply because they are now "closer" (in a virtual sense) to the somewhat crappy FTA we have due to limited bandwidth

In terms to the picture being better from an STB I have made comment to that effect on this forum. I have no comment on the 50 over the 42 though.

I bought a 42px80a about a month ago, and run it mainly through a Topfield 7000 PVR. I hardly ever watch live TV (that's why we have a PVR after all), but someone asked a question on this forum about whether or not the picture was better from and STB or not, so I decided to check. I did a bunch of flipping between the topfield and the TV on the same service and this is what I observed. On HD, I couldn't really tell the difference - both pictures great. On SD, the picture from the internal tuner is "softer" than that from the topfield, even if I make sure that the topfield is putting out the native transmission video format (ie 576i) and I leave the pana to do the scaling. Fiddling with the sharpness and other settings I am unable to make the two pictures match - the internal tuner just does not give a picture that is as sharp.

That is not to say anything is wrong with the pana, just that the internal tuner doesn't seem to do as good a job on an SD service as that from my Topfield. I would be interested if others with STBs / PVRs of some sort see the same effect as I do.

On a separate (I think) issue, in some more recent testing, the picture out of the Topfield at 576i fed into the pana via either s-video or component is actually considerably clearer than if I use the HDMI into the pana (at 576i). Again, if I use 1080i out, then the digital feed has a very slight edge on the component. Not really sure what to make of that one either, but it is there none the less.

I don't know anything much about how these units process the incoming signals, what conversions if any are made from analog to digital etc, to really make a guess at what could be causing the effects. Just know what I see. Still love the pana though.

Edited by JaffaMan

480 lines does not necessarily mean NTSC

576 lines does not necessarily mean PAL

PAL vs NTSC should not be an issue. That is only really relevant to analogue tuners. Anyone in their right mind will be using the digital tuner where that is not relevant. 576 vs 480 lines is though.

That's not the issue. The apparent issue is that the new panel looks worse than the old panel (apparently).

On SD, the picture from the internal tuner is "softer" than that from the topfield, even if I make sure that the topfield is putting out the native transmission video format (ie 576i) and I leave the pana to do the scaling. Fiddling with the sharpness and other settings I am unable to make the two pictures match - the internal tuner just does not give a picture that is as sharp.

That is not to say anything is wrong with the pana, just that the internal tuner doesn't seem to do as good a job on an SD service as that from my Topfield. I would be interested if others with STBs / PVRs of some sort see the same effect as I do.

I agree, SD from the internal tuner has always looked soft/blurry on the Panas I've seen (42PX7A, 46PZ800A, 50PX80A). Putting the TV in cinema mode makes it even worse, which sucks because it's the only mode that has the correct gamma. hdtvtest site says they preferred to increase the TV's sharpness for SD sources, however I tried doing this and found that it still didn't fix the sharpness in the right way, it seemed to just add edge enhancement to a soft picture.

The LG on the other hand, it's scaling is so good I could not tell whether an SD program was on a SD or HD channel. Too bad the black level was so catastrophic :wacko:

At least HD looks good on the Pana - or is it still slightly softer when viewing through the internal tuner? JaffaMan, could you scrutinise it a bit more and let us know of your findings?

I agree, SD from the internal tuner has always looked soft/blurry on the Panas I've seen (42PX7A, 46PZ800A, 50PX80A). Putting the TV in cinema mode makes it even worse, which sucks because it's the only mode that has the correct gamma. hdtvtest site says they preferred to increase the TV's sharpness for SD sources, however I tried doing this and found that it still didn't fix the sharpness in the right way, it seemed to just add edge enhancement to a soft picture.

The LG on the other hand, it's scaling is so good I could not tell whether an SD program was on a SD or HD channel. Too bad the black level was so catastrophic :wacko:

At least HD looks good on the Pana - or is it still slightly softer when viewing through the internal tuner? JaffaMan, could you scrutinise it a bit more and let us know of your findings?

To be sure, I have had another look just now flicking back and forward between the topfield and the TV, and on HD, there is no discernible difference - picture is fine from the internal tuner - clear and sharp. I do run cinema mode, so maybe that has an impact as you suggest, but cinema looks best to me on the output of the topfield. I hardly ever use the TV's tuner anyway, and both HD and SD from the Topfield looks fabulous, even if I feed the pana a 576i signal on s-video and let it do the scaling to the panels resolution.

I actually took the toppy to a few shops before buying to check how things looked, and it was the strength of this panels performance with SD out of the toppy (and the fact that you could actually watch AFL on it unlike the LCDs) that made me choose it in the end - vastly superior SD to anything else I saw when fed a decent source. It was only after I got it home that I noticed the soft SD from the internal tuner. I agree, sharpness etc doesn't really help the internal tuner. Non-issue for me anyway - I couldn't imagine not having a PVR anymore, and wouldn't care much if there was no tuner at all. I guess the good news is, if you have a pana and the soft SD is bothering you, a decent STB or PVR will overcome it and make you appreciate the pana for just how good it is. And the HD is fabulous regardless. Hey, for under $2K you can get the TV and a nice new 7100 Topfield (or even a different brand) and have the best of it all....much better buy than some of the other TVs out there. :D

Edited by JaffaMan