Panasonic Th42/50px80a Owners Thread

Anyone care to comment on running a PC through a 720p plasma such as the 42PX8a?

Assuming you have the PC resolution set to 1024 x 768, I'm interested to hear how it looks. I can't imagine what 1024x768 would look like on a 42 inch wide screen from 2 metres away (my viewing distance).

# Do images and graphics look pixelated or too soft from 2 metres away?

# Aspect ratio - is it stretched, or does 1024 x 768 on the PC translate to 16:9 somehow because you've tweaked some settings on the PC? (I heard this could be done via media portal)

# Web browsing: text quality and crispness... is text 'readable', and the display nice and 'paper-like' still, like on a good LCD PC monitor?

# Does the fear of burn-in prevent you using the PC much or at all?

# Watching DVDs, or Bluerays, or playing games.. is the full potential of the TV's motion and colour performance there when using a PC equipped with a good video card as the source?

Would like to save money by getting a 42PX8A ($1350) rather than the 42PZ700A ($1899)... BUT if 1024 x 768 is problematic for PC input - such as unwanted stretching in games, or things confined to 4:3, or things looking soft or flickery, then I will need to go for 1080p so I can choose a higher resolution on the PC.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone care to comment on running a PC through a 720p plasma such as the 42PX8a?

Assuming you have the PC resolution set to 1024 x 768, I'm interested to hear how it looks. I can't imagine what 1024x768 would look like on a 42 inch wide screen from 2 metres away (my viewing distance).

# Aspect ratio - is it stretched, or does 1024 x 768 on the PC translate to 16:9 somehow because you've tweaked some settings on the PC? (I heard this could be done via media portal)

# Web browsing: text quality and crispness... is text 'readable', and the display nice and 'paper-like' still, like on a good LCD PC monitor?

# Watching DVDs, or Bluerays, or playing games.. is the full potential of the TV's motion and colour performance there when using a PC equipped with a good video card as the source?

Would like to save money by getting a 42PX8A ($1350) rather than the 42PZ700A ($1899)... BUT if 1024 x 768 is problematic for PC input - such as unwanted stretching in games, or things confined to 4:3, or things looking soft or flickery, then I will need to go for 1080p so I can choose a higher resolution on the PC.

i'm getting my 50" 80a today, i wasn't intending on plugging a pc directly into i (i borrowed a friends popcornhour), but i'll give it a go coz i'm curious too about some of these questions. the scenario might be slightly different as the 50" has a native res of 1366 x 768, but i might be able to answer some of these. questions.

There are usually various ways of handling the scaling by the TV or the Videocard control panel.

Images tend to look sharper on LCD's, but have more noise, images and stills are quite sharp...

But up close they tend to become a little softer rather than pixelated like an LCD up close.

I have spent much of yesterday trying to get good settings on my 50" LG Plasma from my 2nd DVI port.

It works very well, I use 1366x768@50hz, As i found that works well for movies and games really...

But I can use 1900x1080 (my LG is similar to the PX80 is only 720p, i can still take my 1080p from my PC)

I did struggle with some I think 720P 2:35 movies, as i had black bands at the top/bottom, others filled the screen as i would expect.

I played G.R.I.D with an Xbox controller from my PC for about half an hour last night (It's still under 100hours of use)

but it looked good, only played for 20mins and turned the HUD's off. You have to be a little vigilant with games i think,

but the immersion of the 50" with the cars in GRID, were grin worthy... :)

While you could use your Plasma for web browsing, I'm not sure i would be comfortable for a few reasons, IR/Burning and it's not as sharp as vivid as LCD.

despite being readable, If that is a main concern than LCD is likely a better idea. I would try and keep windows icons, and menus, taskbars away as much

as possible and choose low contrast colors and it's likely to be okay for the odd occasions but not extended periods.

The BD720P movies from my HTPC to my Plasma look better than anything else i have seen on my Plasma thus far, including FoxtelHD. :)

I do have some tearing on occasions on fast movie bits (not sure what is causing it) but it's not too bad, and my LCD does exact same thing, I'm not sure if this is a 3:2 pulldown

handling not done well, but the Panasonic is reportedly better anyway.

Edited by Freak

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like this thread is my new home as my TH42PX80A was delivered yesterday. :D

I've been running the break-in DVD pretty much since then (just watched a couple of hours of TV last night). Anyone been able to get their settings going nicely yet? Once this things run in I wanna get it calibrated as best I can.

Side note; what else have ppl paid for the 42" 80A. I got mine for $1420.

I just realised that these Pannas dont have PiP. What gives?

They seem to have omitted this feature in most of their 2008-9 models. Not much of a loss if you ask me.

Edited by Raja

Guest GregS

Also, how do I get Teletext to work? Whenever I hit the button it just says "Teletext not available". Is that because i'm on regional channels (Prime, Win, Southern Cross etc)? Or am I doing something wrong?

I recently got one of these sets 42 80A. I haven't read the manual yet ... but I have found that teletext only works when viewing analogue channels . I cant remember, but it may also only be on some analogue channels.

hope that helps. Greg

Also, how do I get Teletext to work? Whenever I hit the button it just says "Teletext not available". Is that because i'm on regional channels (Prime, Win, Southern Cross etc)? Or am I doing something wrong?

The PX7A/70A also didn't have PiP I thought. Panasonic has in the past used this feature a differentiation between the cheaper and dearer models. I have PiP on my PX600 and used it quite a bit until I got my PVR.

Teletext (if available) is only on CH 7 (Prime?). Set the channel to 7 first and then hit Teletext.

This TV looks sexy! If my Pioneer 508XDA ever fails for some reason, I'd choose this TV to replace it. I just read the manual and it has the features I'm after. I'd be calibrating the settings the second I got it too (jb hifi has DVE-HD on bluray, so that'd be useful). This is where I failed with my Kuro :( as it has pink-stuff when switching between channels and on some dark movie scenes. This has so far been irremovable by all methods I have tried.

I looked at its specs on the Panasonic website and paid attention to the contrast ratio. Now I know that most contrast ratios seen advertised are dynamic CRs. This TV had a "native" CR of 15000:1. Is native CR more truthful to the TV's ability than dynamic CR? If that is the case, then it sounds like that this Panny plasma almost equals my 508XDA in the CR spec.

Native CR aside, it has all the functions I require. The automatic firmware update function is nifty too. Overall this seems like a price-cheap but very exceptional plasma panel.

Bobbyf, I saw your BR pics that you took with this panel. Might I say they look very good, and very detailed. Well done!

Anyone had their Panna calibrated? Or found some good settings they're happy with?

I saw this site;

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Panasonic-TH42PX80/

The thing I don't trust about these settings is this;

"To apply these settings, first reset the values to the default factory settings, and then follow the instructions. This is necessary because Panasonic did not bother to include a numerical guide for each individual control."

He then goes on to describe the calibration as 2 clicks left, 3 clicks right etc. Only thing is, my TV does have numerical values for entering settings. Which got me thinking, maybe the Aussie model is different and these aren't the optimum settings for us?

This TV looks sexy! If my Pioneer 508XDA ever fails for some reason, I'd choose this TV to replace it...<snip>

I looked at its specs on the Panasonic website and paid attention to the contrast ratio. Now I know that most contrast ratios seen advertised are dynamic CRs. This TV had a "native" CR of 15000:1. Is native CR more truthful to the TV's ability than dynamic CR? If that is the case, then it sounds like that this Panny plasma almost equals my 508XDA in the CR spec.

The automatic firmware update function is nifty too. Overall this seems like a price-cheap but very exceptional plasma panel.

They are a great value panel, but may I suggest you take everything you read with a grain of salt. All manufacturers mesaure CR differently, and yes, the 8 series Panas CR do get compared with the Pio's.

The auto FW update is not supported by broadcasters so is useless in this country, but it does have some everyday features that are more useful than what the Pios offer.

Anyone had their Panna calibrated? Or found some good settings they're happy with?

I saw this site;

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Panasonic-TH42PX80/

The thing I don't trust about these settings is this;

"To apply these settings, first reset the values to the default factory settings, and then follow the instructions. This is necessary because Panasonic did not bother to include a numerical guide for each individual control."

He then goes on to describe the calibration as 2 clicks left, 3 clicks right etc. Only thing is, my TV does have numerical values for entering settings. Which got me thinking, maybe the Aussie model is different and these aren't the optimum settings for us?

Only way to find out is to try it - the older 6 and 7 series have no numerical figures on menus, but the 5 series did :wacko:

I've experienced IR more noticeably on the Panny than the Pioneer LX508, but neither have suffered from any burn in.

IR seems to appear more quickly on the Panny, but it goes just as quick imo

As far as calibration is concerned, the price of this Tv doesn't justify it imo. Just go with what you like

Bob

Edited by bobbyf

has anyon experienced IR or burn in on the 50px80a yet?

I have the 42px80a and the only problem i have is Win Tv friday night NRL footy, took 3 hrs for there channel nine logo to go and that was watching the first game only. The other stations logos are transparent all the time, not Win it is either that ugly blue box or solid white 9 logo.Then during other shows where there is lots of ads they use their transparent water mark :angry2:

Hate those bright watermarks. I don't have Foxtel, but hear some of their logos can be very solid/bright.

As for IR, have experienced a little when heavy gaming or watching a "letterbox" movie, but as mentioned the IR disappears pretty quick (within 10mins)

What prices are you guys getting the 50px80a for? I will hopefully be getting one soon but I'm wondering if the prices will get better after its been on the market for a while. I'm hoping to pick up for under 2k. Is that possible yet?

got mine for 1830...not really on special but it takes couple of hours to haggle....its roughly around that price now......

Just installed mine tonight....it is awesome.....for the price, you will be surprised

Guest oncea

got my 50px80a thursday cant get hdmi to work on any input looks like service call going in. other than that very happy with pq

Guest Tioray

Hi All,

I got my 50px80a late Friday night. Feel like I have been up for 2 days watching it B) Very happy with the TV. $2050 with a 5 year warantee. I run it thru my beyonwiz P1 pvr via HDMI. I find I get the best picture when I set the beyonwiz to output at PAL 1080I 50hz and the TV picture set to normal. FTA is great, formula1 last night was also great and the 2 movies 'Speed' and 'Hannibal' were perfect at over 3 meters. I have not tested the inbuilt tuner yet but will get around to it soon. So far I am very happy with 80a.

TioRay