Panasonic Th42/50px80a Owners Thread

Just got mine this morning, so being an official owner, i thought i'd set up a owners thread.

Will post first impressions etc when i get chance to set up it up over the weekend.

Maybe even take some pics

Bob

:D

Edited by bobbyf

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not an owner but Im still shocked by how good it was in the store next to Panny 7 and pio 42 inch.

8 series 42 inch looked better to me and any 720p 32 inch crt. Crt look but more life like. Almost what Id expect oled to be. Then again its one of the first "next year" plasma or lcd Ive seen.

Be interested in how it goes....which one did you get 42" or 50"?

I got the 50"

I'm still at work and apparently i'm busy tonight, so i'll probably have to hold off setting it all up until tomorrow

Bugga!

I'm quite optimistic about it though, as it did look mighty fine in the shop

Will let you know

Bob

Got my 42PX80A on Saturday. Put together and tuned stations without any hassle. After a 68cm CRT, the picture is impressive. Experimented with a few setting but have put them back to factory. Motion blur not an issue for me after watch a recording of the Monaco GP and the AFL. The colors when setting the picture to dynamic mode are a bit over the top for me. Will keep the picture set to normal or cinema. Great for viewing photos as well. Have a Nikon DSLR so can view direct from the camera's memory card. Most surprising thing is a lack of heat generated by the panel. Thought it would produce more heat. As it will not get used a lot, am leaving the TV off rather than in standby.

I get my 50" 80 on Monday. I saw it in store only today next to an HD LG, full HD LG, a Sony D and Sony X. Great comparision, I stood there staring for ages in JB Melb CBD :)

What do you think 50" 80 compares to full HD LG?

I still curious whether full HD makes any significant different for free-to-air TV.

How does the 80A 127cm unit compare to it's older 70A sibling? Has anyone been able to make a comparison? I was at my local DSE today and saw the box for a 106cm 8A unit. Looking at the specs, the only differences I can spot are one more HDMI input and, I think, a higher contrast ratio. Any ideas anyone?

How does the 80A 127cm unit compare to it's older 70A sibling? Has anyone been able to make a comparison? I was at my local DSE today and saw the box for a 106cm 8A unit. Looking at the specs, the only differences I can spot are one more HDMI input and, I think, a higher contrast ratio. Any ideas anyone?

JB Hifi Doncaster have 42" 80A side by side with 70A. 80A has better picture and color. Black and contrast are superior than 70A.

I got my 50PX80A yesterday and set it up last night. I'm blown away by how good (and big ;) ) it is, the picture is stunning :) I was worried it might buzz after reading other threads, but mine is as quiet as a church mouse :) BTW, it has made in China on the box.

Edited by twitch

I got my 50PX80A yesterday and set it up last night. I'm blown away by how good (and big ;) ) it is, the picture is stunning :) I was worried it might buzz after reading other threads, but mine is as quiet as a church mouse :) BTW, it has made in China on the box.

Mine is a quiet as a mouse too, which i was very pleased with.

I'm really impressed with mine too. It isn't quite as good as my LX508, nor should it be considering the price difference, but it gives it a good run for its money.

The blacks are way better on the Pio, giving a more 3D look and i think you can tell that there is better processing inside the Pio for SD material.

However, the 80A is way brighter and i think gives you some of the benefits of LCD in the brightness stakes, yet all the benefits of plasmas better motion handling, so its a win win for me.

The EPG is great to have, and the channel changes are lightning fast compared to the Pioneer.

There aren't as many things you can alter to adjust picture settings, which is good and bad i suppose, but on the whole its great.

Comparing FTA, i can categorically say that imo Full HD is not an advantage over 768p at my viewing distance of about 3m

Plus, the Wife prefers the look of the Panny, and the EPG etc.

For just under 1/3 of what i paid for the Pio last Nov, this TV is fantastic.

Still not tried my PS3 yet, as its on its way back from being repaired, so its just gonna get better i reckon.

Will take some pics when i get my PS3 back

Bob

80A has one more HDMI input and an SD Card Reader over the 8A. Contrast Ratio is the same IIRC.

Comparing FTA, i can categorically say that imo Full HD is not an advantage over 768p at my viewing distance of about 3m

Plus, the Wife prefers the look of the Panny, and the EPG etc.

For just under 1/3 of what i paid for the Pio last Nov, this TV is fantastic.

Still not tried my PS3 yet, as its on its way back from being repaired, so its just gonna get better i reckon.

Will take some pics when i get my PS3 back

Bob

Thanks Bob, re your explanation re full HD. I was in between to purchase 42" 80A and Sammy 40" M8 LCD full HD. But now I am sure I made a right decision.

Please post at here your review with PS3.

Thanks

Sontoloyo

Thanks Bob, re your explanation re full HD. I was in between to purchase 42" 80A and Sammy 40" M8 LCD full HD. But now I am sure I made a right decision.

Please post at here your review with PS3.

Thanks

Sontoloyo

No worries Sontoloyo

Full HD on a 40"er would only be useful if you're really close, so you did the right thing in my opinion.

You'll get 2 extra inches and a better alround package i reckon with the Panny.

Bob

What prices are you guys getting the 50px80a for? I will hopefully be getting one soon but I'm wondering if the prices will get better after its been on the market for a while. I'm hoping to pick up for under 2k. Is that possible yet?

According to this review:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Panasonic-TH42PX80/

the differences are 24p input, slightly better black levels and slightly better scaling (more jaggie reduction).

But that was for the 42". I guess most of it would apply to the 50" version too.

What prices are you guys getting the 50px80a for? I will hopefully be getting one soon but I'm wondering if the prices will get better after its been on the market for a while. I'm hoping to pick up for under 2k. Is that possible yet?

DSE was selling 50PX80A for $199x last week, but that offer ended. I wouldnt worry though as the prices are only going to get better imo.

DSE was selling 50PX80A for $199x last week, but that offer ended. I wouldnt worry though as the prices are only going to get better imo.

I though that is a reason to worry - I dont want to rush in and buy straight away if the price is going to drop a few hundred once the dust settles. If the going rate is less than $2000 I would feel a bit more confident because thats about the price that the old model settled at.

Someone posted the other day, before the site went down that they went in to buy one of these but was told not too as Panasonic was dropping the price on Monday(yesterday). Cant find that post though.

I read the same thing and would definitely hold off buying for the next week or two.