Dd5.1 Programs In 2008

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Da Vinci Code was on WinHD last night and was broadcasting 5.1 from the beginning of the movie this time. Ususally it takes them a good 20 minutes to flick the switch on the audio by which time you have already missed a good chunk of center channel audio. Good to see that they are lifting their game. I didn't bother watching the movie though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there all, new to the forum from the Gold Coast.

I have just purchased a Sony X series 52" and a Sony HDD SD recorder.

Is the only way of telling it is going 5.1 when you pick it up on your reciever or is it marked on the info section onscreen ?

You can download the TS information in a TV tuner card and analyse the audio streams if you want. Some STBs might do this for you, most would simply pass dolby digital through without looking inside to see what it looks like, and then it is up to your amp to display the format. I did see a 5.1 logo at the beginning of a show the other day (that was actually 5.1), but you can't trust that these graphic overlays are burnt into the source and the broadcaster is not up to the task to feed this stream through to us. Nein in Sydney is broadcasting permanent 5.1 on their HD channel now, so you don't know what is real and what is their fancy "fako turn dolby surround into fake 5.1 mix".

Regards

Nein in Sydney is broadcasting permanent 5.1 on their HD channel now, so you don't know what is real and what is their fancy "fako turn dolby surround into fake 5.1 mix".

Regards

Why does it matter to you whether Nine HD is decoding the 2 channel stereo into 5.1 for you, or whether you do it yourself with ProLogic II or the like in your own receiver? You can argue that Nine doing it is better, as it gives EVERYONE the best possible decode, even if you have an old receiver which only has regular Dolby ProLogic (ie with mono surround etc), but can decode Dolby Digital 5.1 via bitstream input

Having it permanently 5.1 at the broadcast end also removes the annoying muting and switching on your receiver when it changes modes between 2 and 5.1 channel. Some receivers take a second to lock onto the new mode, clipping the first few words on the incoming audio.

Craig.

Edited by Craig

digitalj,

What examples can you give of voices coming out of the back?

If they end up there, there's a good chance that there is a phasing problem at the source, and your own pro-logic system may do exactly the same. These matrix-type decoders mostly all work on the same principles.....take out-of-phase info and put it in the back speakers. Here's a hint on what type of decoding Nine is using...... It's called Neural Audio.

http://www.neuralaudio.com/

Craig.

Yep, I was going to say what digitalj said. Sometimes the dialogue that you would expect to come predominantly out the centre speaker (certainly does when other broadcasters send dolby surround stereo and you decode with pro-logic), will instead be coming out the fronts (L&R) and rears in almost equal mix, it sounds terrible. Also they seem to add bass boost or something, the LFE can be booming too much compared to what you would expect in a normal surround track. I haven't heard this kind of mix in the last week, but I don't watch a lot of Nein these days :-) (after shooting themselves in the foot with the whole ICEtv thing. If I don't know what shows are coming up, I simply won't bother to watch the channel, there is enough good stuff to watch on 7HD and 10HD anyway).

digitalj,

What examples can you give of voices coming out of the back?

If they end up there, there's a good chance that there is a phasing problem at the source, and your own pro-logic system may do exactly the same. These matrix-type decoders mostly all work on the same principles.....take out-of-phase info and put it in the back speakers. Here's a hint on what type of decoding Nine is using...... It's called Neural Audio.

http://www.neuralaudio.com/

Craig.

I can't really provide an answer, but I know at least 1 other member on this forum has complained of voices coming out the back on some odd-occurrences during "fake 5.1" programming.

when nine was doing permanent 5.1 in perth i heard speech coming from left and right. the was a definitive difference in sound quality between movies that were true 5.1 and ones that were fake 5.1. in perth they only turned on fake 5.1 when breakaway programming started, usually at around 10:30 when shows like The War At Home and movies in 4:3 were on. now there is no 5.1 in perth, fake or real

Edited by seemoe

Adelaide. Was just an addition to the list, not related to the previous post.

Also Poseidon (Nine HD) is 5.1.

Pity... was a bit excited there ! We are now coming up to 3 months where 9 Perth haven't got their act together - surely that is long enough in anyone's language, even if you are sorting stuff out with a manufacturer as they keep claiming !!!!!!

Adelaide. Was just an addition to the list, not related to the previous post.

Also Poseidon (Nine HD) is 5.1.

Pity... was a bit excited there ! We are now coming up to 3 months where 9 Perth haven't got their act together - surely that is long enough in anyone's language, even if you are sorting stuff out with a manufacturer as they keep claiming !!!!!!

Guest audio_melb

Dear all member.

I am looking for Marantz SR 9600 second or brand new but the price under 3000AUD if you know some one who need to upgrade then sell it with good price please let me know...or advise me what should i do?...I lived in Melbourne metro.

Manny thanks .

Jame

• Volunteer
Dear all member.

I am looking for Marantz SR 9600 second or brand new but the price under 3000AUD if you know some one who need to upgrade then sell it with good price please let me know...or advise me what should i do?...I lived in Melbourne metro.

Manny thanks .

Jame

Posting this in multiple threads is not the done thing, this is now your third post of the same request in various threads. :angry:

And a pinned thread such as this is definitely not the appropriate place.

Edited by Kazz