Lg Dlp 62" Rptv Turning Itself Off

I've had an LG 62" DLP RPTV for about 4 years now without a problem. I haven't even had to replace the lamp yet. Yesterday it suddenly decided that it would turn itself off a few seconds after it starts.

Every time I turn it on it flashes orange, and the the power LED goes green. Sometimes the lamp fires up and you get a picture. Then after after 5 seconds it just turns itself off.

Has anyone else seen this sort of behaviour before? Could it be the lamp even though it is definitely not blown?

The manual which came with the set is pretty well useless.

I've logged a job with the repairer, but he can't come out until Monday :(

Any ideas?

I've had an LG 62" DLP RPTV for about 4 years now without a problem. I haven't even had to replace the lamp yet. Yesterday it suddenly decided that it would turn itself off a few seconds after it starts.

Every time I turn it on it flashes orange, and the the power LED goes green. Sometimes the lamp fires up and you get a picture. Then after after 5 seconds it just turns itself off.

Has anyone else seen this sort of behaviour before? Could it be the lamp even though it is definitely not blown?

Any ideas?

OVERHEATING ALARM!!!!!!!!!!!

DOES ANYBODY CLEAN THESE DUST FILTERS IN LG SET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!No,NO,No,NO,NO.

The Next one will be a RED and when this happens you Light Engine will be DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also you could have a Fan Failure in either Lamp or Quad Duct Fan and depending what model people have the alarms vary.

Please read all my post on my LG.

I have said this before that my mate has a LG Rear pro MW 60 yes the one that dies for everyone in Australia except my mates that has done over 20,000 hrs trouble free all because we done a mod in the early days to improve ventilation and circulating air. Most LG's rear pros (DLP + 1 LCoS)have a very fine filter and they need to be cleaned at least every 4000 hrs depending how clean your house is.

I had an old LG 40" DLP that used to do the same thing. I think it was the internal power board or something like that. Mine failed twice in one year with same problem.

Keep a eye on them they always say its a power supply problem, easy to replace, and some sets they're very expensive and a easy way to make a fast buck!

Cleaning the filter is also very easy and cost nothing in parts.

Fans are Cheap a typical 75MM fan is about $45, if its the fan ASK THAT ALL FANS BE Replaced because the next one will die soon.

If he changes the Power Supply or Line input card insist you keep it as you have a Electrical Engineer friend that will be able to fix it ( i don't trust any of them)

Also on some LG's rear pros the Orange Flashing also means Low Voltage outputs.

But I bet he takes the tv away so he can rip you off. Pity you can't get someone to mark the power supply and line filter before he comes and if they replace it ask for the return of defective parts ( Ps don't leave finger marks on the dust inside if you do this.

This is the way i have become, i don't trust any company anymore.

***SNIP***

This is the way i have become, i don't trust any company anymore.

Don't blame you the industry is also full of contractors getting paid by the job and you know what that means.

Sound advise by Mr Blackman, watch what they do and try and insist on the set being fixed at your home. It's a big set and I wouldn't trust anyone taking it away, if they do, make sure you are fully covered if they damage it in transit.

Edited by Riv39

Thanks guys for all the advice.

I'm pretty sure it's not overheating as it is the operation indicator light that is red, not the temperature indicator light. The lamp indicator light isn't on either.

I intend on being there when the repairer comes, and not just leave it to my wife. If the tech is talking to someone who has a clue, hopefully he won't try to rip me off. I'd rather not let them take it away either if it can be avoided.

As for cleaning out the dust filter, I have never done it, so it would be a good idea to start there anyway. You would think they might mention in the manual that it is something users should do every year or so.

Cheers,

Richard.

Any ideas?

When you say it flashes orange which one flashes orange, The power or the lamp or the temp? Let us know exactly how the lights behave and I will check my service manual for the tree that shows all the led front codes. Mine is a different TV but somethings are the same

When it fires up for a second or two see if the lamp fan is running, get someone to start it whilst you're behind. On my Lg you can remove the front panel and see if the front fan (quad duct engine fan) has started up as I know as I accidentally left the lead off on the Digital card that supplies all the fans (3) and the TV did not start up on my second LG when i had it in bits..

Give us the model number as I have a complete list of spare parts for most LG's rear pros and I can tell you prices of parts at a Max.

52SZ8R-TB 62SX4D 62SX4R

71SA1D DT-62SZ71DB MW-60SZ12

PF-43A10 PF-43A20 PF-52A70

PF-60A30 PF60A30 PF=60A30

PT-53A81T PT-53A83T RT-39NZ40RB

RT-39NZ43RB RT-44NA10T RT-44NA11T

RT-44NZ21RB RT-44NZ23RB RT-44NZ31RB

RT-44SZ21RB RT-44SZ60DB RT-44SZ80LB

RT-48SZ40RB RT-49NZ21RB RT-49NZ23RB

RT-525Z60 RT-52SZ30RB RT-52SZ60DB

RT-54NA61RB RT-56NZ21RB RT-56NZ23RB

RT-62NA31RB

Give us the model number as I have a complete list of spare parts for most LG's rear pros and I can tell you prices of parts at a Max.

52SZ8R-TB 62SX4D 62SX4R

71SA1D DT-62SZ71DB MW-60SZ12

PF-43A10 PF-43A20 PF-52A70

PF-60A30 PF60A30 PF=60A30

PT-53A81T PT-53A83T RT-39NZ40RB

RT-39NZ43RB RT-44NA10T RT-44NA11T

RT-44NZ21RB RT-44NZ23RB RT-44NZ31RB

RT-44SZ21RB RT-44SZ60DB RT-44SZ80LB

RT-48SZ40RB RT-49NZ21RB RT-49NZ23RB

RT-525Z60 RT-52SZ30RB RT-52SZ60DB

RT-54NA61RB RT-56NZ21RB RT-56NZ23RB

RT-62NA31RB

Thanks Blackman,

It's the DT-62SZ71DB.

There are 3 LEDs on the front panel. The only light that lights up is the Power Indicator. It goes to orange flashing when powering up, then to green, and then straight back to red. The other 2 lights (lamp warning and overheating) don't come on at all.

Do you know if there is anywhere you can download LG service manuals?

I just found this post which is exactly my problem....

http://www.forums.hcsd.com.au/Blah.pl?m-1173851358/s-2/#num2

Yep, turned out to be thermal fuse behind lamp 100deg type looks much like one out of microwave.There is an upgrade available from southside.

Cheers

Joe

BTW real mongrel to work on.Lamp accessible from behind front cover(cover clips on and also screwed in from behind)

Thermal fuse accessed from rear of tv.have to remove several boards to get access.

Any idea how much that should cost to fix?

Edited by reichhorn

Do you know if there is anywhere you can download LG service manuals?

No, Just do a Google for free Service manuals and try you luck, Nobody had my manual on the internet.

I just found this post which is exactly my problem....

http://www.forums.hcsd.com.au/Blah.pl?m-1173851358/s-2/#num2

Yep, turned out to be thermal fuse behind lamp 100deg type looks much like one out of microwave.There is an upgrade available from southside.

Cheers

Joe

BTW real mongrel to work on.Lamp accessible from behind front cover(cover clips on and also screwed in from behind)

Thermal fuse accessed from rear of tv.have to remove several boards to get access.

Thermal fuse on the heatsink on the lamp?, Mine has a thermister and to replace it you must remove the chassis to get to it

Any idea how much that should cost to fix?

I will try to get a price cost on some of your parts for your model

Ballast P/N 6316000002D $230

Color Wheel P/N3141VSN679A $250

Fan P/N 5900V06007A ,DC F6025S06B2-RH DONGYANG 60*60*25 6 2 $62.00

Fan P/N 5900V12005A ,DC G12225S06B2-FS DONGY $70

Lamp P/N 6912B22002C $200 to $250

Switch Mode power supply AC INPUT CARD ONLY SMPS P/N 6871VPMA45C $49

Switch Mode Power supply Itself SMPS P/N 6871VPMA44C $120

Thermistor P/N163-048D $18

It has one thermistor and no thermal fuse, now the Above prices are RIP OFF prices so if they charge you more they are charging a rip off on top of a rip off price. I did not notice any dust filter in your model Hummmm As for Service manuals LG one's that I have struck are USELESS and so incorrect, Full of mistakes!!!!!

Had the service guy come. It turns out it was the lamp. Cost me $400 all up. Turns out the lamp doesn't always play nice with the lamp warning light. When the tech went to reset the lamp hours it was still showing zero hours, which is probably why. He had seen it a few times before. When the set was first installed the tech obviously didn't reset the lamp hours. Given how bad the service manuals are I'm not surprised.

I probably could have saved a few bucks if I had replaced the lamp myself. You can purchase them on eBay for about $220 - $250, but I wasn't sure it was the lamp.... Next time...... By then hopefully Laser TVs will be here, and I can upgrade.

I found this great description of how to change the lamp if anyone in the future wants to try -

http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=25738

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,

Richard.

Had the service guy come. It turns out it was the lamp. Cost me $400 all up. Turns out the lamp doesn't always play nice with the lamp warning light. When the tech went to reset the lamp hours it was still showing zero hours, which is probably why. He had seen it a few times before. When the set was first installed the tech obviously didn't reset the lamp hours. Given how bad the service manuals are I'm not surprised.

I probably could have saved a few bucks if I had replaced the lamp myself. You can purchase them on eBay for about $220 - $250, but I wasn't sure it was the lamp.... Next time...... By then hopefully Laser TVs will be here, and I can upgrade.

I found this great description of how to change the lamp if anyone in the future wants to try -

http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=25738

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,

Richard.

No laser Tv's for Australia mate, Like me if you want one you will have to fetch it from the US, (thats if they pass the test)

• 1 month later...
Does any know about the blue srceen problem?

I have blue patches and they change position sometimes.

Is this the globe? do not think so.

It has been happening for over 1 year now.

Any help would be great

what Model? Do they go away? if so how long before they go away

Edited by Blackman

Does any know about the blue srceen problem?

I have blue patches and they change position sometimes.

Is this the globe? do not think so.

It has been happening for over 1 year now.

Any help would be great

If its the MW60 - try the HUGE thread thats been running for several years now here

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=125

Good luck.

Andre

I have a LG LCD rear projection - RT52SZ30RB and it has blue patches across the screen.

I have had it for 3-4 years but the blue patches have been there for 1-2 years.

It seems to be common with this model but no solution posted yet.

Could it be lens alignment or dust on the lens?

Any help would be great

• 1 year later...