Sign in to follow this  
mantronic

Hold Off Lcd Purchases Imo ... Samsung 650 9 June

Only thing that shits me about these tv's is that you cant have HDMI in and then run the audio out (RCA) to an amp and have it in 5.1

However ill let everyone know what i think once i get it set up. If theres anything anyone would like me to test out let me know and ill try to do it over this w/e

Edited by Jamie88

Could we just get some clarification from those who have seen the new 6 / 7 series in person or own them - is the screen shiny or matte?

I don't understand why Samsung LCDs are going in different direction to plasmas - reflective as opposed to non reflective.

From what I can see Panasonic failed miserably by going non-reflective in sacrificing contrast & brightness, but why would Samsung change something that's already working with LCDs?

Your statement also clearly says that you would sell the NEXT customer a different TV (priced higher) to recover your loss. This means "I will cheat the next man to walk into my store just because the previous buyer smashed my margin". For customers, this is the worst-case scenario because the salesman has got his knives out to make a killing.

So by your logic, salesmen should be falling over themselves to give every single customer that walks in the store a brainsnapping bargain on every item they buy?

Give it a rest mate, please. As long as i'm getting a good rpice, that's all I care about. If people who know nothing walk into a store and try and buy big ticket items with no frame of reference, then they only have themselves to blame, not the salesman. A fool and his money are soon parted.

So by your logic, salesmen should be falling over themselves to give every single customer that walks in the store a brainsnapping bargain on every item they buy?

Actually for once I agree with Kulfi here.. Sales men overseas seems to work on a fixed salary, so in those countries you don't really have to walk around, or bargain like crazy. You just go to your favourite store and to your favourite sales manager, and just buy the thing you want, knowing it is at a very reasonable price (if you're a long term customer you get a great discount as well)...

The Australian model of selling CE is broken IMO, it's not a system that benefits the customer.

I'm not agreeing with dodgy salesmen, but Underd0g doesn't seem like one to me, like he's being accused by Kulfi. He said he prefers educated customers who knows what they want, and will usually sell it to them for the price they want (as long as its reasonable).

That's what it all comes down to, both parties being reasonable. If a store rejects my reasonable price offer, i'll just try another store. I'll get what I want eventually. In the end it's their loss, and they wont be around long. Excpet for the simpletons who walk into stores and pay ticket price for things. They're the ones keeping prices high.

I like low prices, but I certainly don't expect to be given them on a silver platter. I don't mind working for them a little.

Did u look at those internet "full spec" checklists or did u look at the actual manual. From what i can remember after looking through the manuals and looking at the actual rear panel I'm pretty sure there IS a optical out. Also in the manual it made mention of the annoying industry standard to not passthrough 5.1 from HDMI to optical out. So, it must have an optical out

I had a look at the owner's manual here:

http://www.samsung.com/za/consumer/detail/...&fullspec=F

Admittedly it is the South African site, however Samsung Australia hasn't put the new models up yet so it's all I really have to go by.

I had a look at the owner's manual here:

http://www.samsung.com/za/consumer/detail/...&fullspec=F

Admittedly it is the South African site, however Samsung Australia hasn't put the new models up yet so it's all I really have to go by.

LOL :lol: use the american site man. Plus if you are looking for the details of a product never go by those checklists coz half the time they are wrong. Look up the actual manual. Admittedly, in the manual for the link u posted, there is not optical output, very strange indeed. No idea why they wouldnt give south africans the optical. It is however in the american models (its the first thing i check :P)

As long as i'm getting a good rpice, that's all I care about.

"I care about myself and the rest of the world can go to hell."

Why should we care about others ? Why should we give advice to others on this forum ? Why should we help with their problems ? If everyone thought in the same way, there would be no difference between humans and rats.

"A fool and his money are soon parted" is all right in theory. But to see some naive customers getting cheated and not doing anything about it is the same as abetting the cheat, in my book.

As long as i'm getting a good rpice, that's all I care about. If people who know nothing walk into a store and try and buy big ticket items with no frame of reference, then they only have themselves to blame, not the salesman. A fool and his money are soon parted.

There also the reason why we get those occasional REALLY good deals

In fairness to salesmen, they are paid by companies to maximise profits. Listed retailers like JB have a responsibility to shareholders to maximise returns.

Getting high prices is precisely what they are paid to do.

Agree the high end retail model in aus is a bit sleazy though. And it CAN promote a bit to much agro and rude behaviour.

"I care about myself and the rest of the world can go to hell."

Exaggerating much? That was hardly what I said. All i'm saying is that it's not my responsibilty to look out for each and every person, nor is it yours. They have to take some of that responsibility for themselves. Retailers are there to make money, not give customers whats best for them. If that was the case they would be giving the things away. That said, just because they are trying to make money, doesn't mean that I can't get a deal we are both happy with.

Why should we care about others ? Why should we give advice to others on this forum ? Why should we help with their problems ? If everyone thought in the same way, there would be no difference between humans and rats.

There's a difference between people who are actively seeking help and advice (on this forum or somewhere else), and people who just walk into a store and buy something without having done any research.

"A fool and his money are soon parted" is all right in theory. But to see some naive customers getting cheated and not doing anything about it is the same as abetting the cheat, in my book.
Naivety/ignorance is no excuse for stupidity. Besides, I helped a couple at my local HN the other day. They were just about to close the deal on a 46" F81 Samsung, when I told them they could do better by $300-400 over at DSE (who had it on special for $2500ish, great price). They were very happy. I actually saw them at DSE and they got the last set. So does that mean I should have stayed at HN all day directing the people who didnt bother to do their price research over to DSE? Is that my job because I did my homework and they didn't?

They look like a repackaged N series samsung right down to the noisy pic up close ... at best 1-10% better than an N samsung so they arent really worth any more than those prices.

Precisely. I'd say the A550 replaces the N-series and the A650 replaces the F-series. The M-series has not been replaced.

The Samsung N-series had an over-sharpened picture (hence the noise). If you turn on the NR, it gets better but you'll also have to work hard to set it up. A correctly set up N-series is quite good to the eye and also friendly to the pocket.

Of course, the A550 is not pocket-friendly so I won't recommend it at current prices.

I'm not agreeing with dodgy salesmen, but Underd0g doesn't seem like one to me, like he's being accused by Kulfi. He said he prefers educated customers who knows what they want, and will usually sell it to them for the price they want (as long as its reasonable).

That's what it all comes down to, both parties being reasonable. If a store rejects my reasonable price offer, i'll just try another store. I'll get what I want eventually. In the end it's their loss, and they wont be around long. Excpet for the simpletons who walk into stores and pay ticket price for things. They're the ones keeping prices high.

I like low prices, but I certainly don't expect to be given them on a silver platter. I don't mind working for them a little.

We should be thankful for the many people who pay RRP or similar, without them retailers would find it difficult to offer substantial discounts to people who demand a silly cheap price and remain viable.

Retailing is a business, if they can’t make a decent profit out of it they may as well close up and get into something more lucrative.

On line sellers with no expensive retail showrooms and sales staff should be able to offer dramatic discounts from RRP, but you cant see or compare various models if they don’t have a showroom.

We are probably all guilty of utilising the expensive showrooms in major retailers to evaluate and compare the products we are considering purchasing, but don’t want to pay for the privilege, we go somewhere else (possibly on line) to make the purchase at a cheaper price from a mob who don’t offer any showroom “service”. It’s a piss poor attitude when you think about it, but such is life these days.

I wonder how happy people would be if they had to buy everything sight unseen because it was not economically viable to have expensive retail showrooms full of stock. I expect many would not care as long as they got something cheap.

Naivety/ignorance is no excuse for stupidity. Besides, I helped a couple at my local HN the other day. They were just about to close the deal on a 46" F81 Samsung, when I told them they could do better by $300-400 over at DSE (who had it on special for $2500ish, great price). They were very happy. I actually saw them at DSE and they got the last set. So does that mean I should have stayed at HN all day directing the people who didnt bother to do their price research over to DSE? Is that my job because I did my homework and they didn't?

If you helped those people, it shows that you didn't want them to be cheated. Since you do have a conscience, at least don't support some of the cocky statements made by Underd0g.

Aha ! Truth at last - extended warranty and cables are rip-offs.

They aren't actually. extended warranty is again, on the onus of the customer, and cabling is neccessary to get the most out of your shiny new TV.

Your statement also clearly says that you would sell the NEXT customer a different TV (priced higher) to recover your loss. This means "I will cheat the next man to walk into my store just because the previous buyer smashed my margin". For customers, this is the worst-case scenario because the salesman has got his knives out to make a killing.

:blink:

My statement didn't say that. You are really clutching at straws here. It just burns you to know that i'm actually an honest salesperson, and making sense in what i'm saying.

Chances are though the next customer will buy a different tv to the previous one, what with at least 12 different decent brands to choose from, with varying margins. Thats what I meant.

As for your big talk about the "interweb customers having sold themselves a TV", what's the harm in being aware of the model and price ?

No harm, in fact I welcome it. Like I have said several times, makes my job a lot easier.

I'd get the information and go into the store to confirm if the TV suits me or is as good as people are saying online. I didn't walk into a store in a daze saying "I want this TV". I had a shortlist of 3 TVs and I tried them out thoroughly (changing settings, using own DVDs etc) once I had ensured I was getting the best price.

Judging by your untrustworthy nature, I honestly don't think you'd ever ensure yourself you are getting the best price. You would always be left wondering. Having said that, after I have left you to your own devices, and made sure the tv's are back on factory settings after you have fiddled with them (sigh, some people just don't get it) to choose your TV, i'd write it up for you. Easy. simple.

Kufi, im sorry im not the salesperson you want me to be.

I'm sorry that at some time in the past you were once naive, and an unscrupulous salesperson saw you coming a mile away, and fleeced you like crazy.

I can't change that. But hey, im on the boards to help people get a good deal, have a keen interest for electronics, and because I have extensive experience with these devices. So how about we just leave it be now, because you are going to make an ass of yourself by constant accusing me of lying and cheating people, when it will become apparent to those who I have PM'd, who have PM'd me, and those who have bought from me that I am not at all like that.

Cheers.

Edited by Underd0g

Getting back to the Samsung itself, I've found this UK review sight which has a recent detailed review of the series 6. It's a slightly different version from the Aus one but it should offer some guidance, and yes the UK one does have an optical out at the back:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40A656/

Hope it is useful to people.

Getting back to the Samsung itself, I've found this UK review sight which has a recent detailed review of the series 6. It's a slightly different version from the Aus one but it should offer some guidance, and yes the UK one does have an optical out at the back:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40A656/

Hope it is useful to people.

Nice practical review, seems like one of the main critiques is the glossy screen. Wonder if it could be removed or some material (cling wrap type?)placed over the surface, I am leaning towards the A550 for the matt screen. Seems like there are always trade offs between models.

Edited by Philby

The new Samsung models are available in Sydney (apparently), still not yet in the stores in Perth. RRP for the A550 is $2460, which is cheaper than what I saw in Myers today for the about to be superseded 40 inch F-series.

Extended warranty is highly negotiable. Everyone knows that. Cables are cheaper when bought from people advertising on this forum or outside. You cannot refute this fact. Therefore, you make a massive profit from these items and recover your loss by matching the TV's insane price (e.g. GameOn).

Your next customer will have more TVs to choose from with varying margins (all extremely biased in the shop's favour). Let them weep, I suppose. This is the overall consensus on this thread so I'll be democratic and agree that "A fool and his money are soon parted" and that "People who pay more pave the way for others to get insane deals".

What you call "fiddling" (changing settings) is what some others call ideal settings and charge money for it. You can then turn the TV back to "torch mode" to please idiots who buy a TV because of excessively bright pictures.

Yes, I would be unsure whether I had the best price. It's not because I'm untrustworthy but because I know who I'm dealing with. Before I bought my TV, I checked out 25 different stores before going for the absolute best deal in Sydney. It was an unbeatable price by any standards. To top that, I got it from Myer and yes, the salesman there was quite good. I even helped him to make another big sale while I was trying out the settings, then took free delivery. I haven't been fleeced by anyone but I have seen too many people suffering, which is what ticks me off.

It doesn't burn me to see honest salespersons. You've quoted prices on other threads that are not the best, which means this site is now being used to reduce people's expectations on price-cutting even before they enter the store.

I saw a 32" series 6 Samsung today at Harvey Norman Indooroopilly (Brisbane). It had a very, VERY glossy finish to it, and the screen seemed to be as glossy as the F8 series. Also, apparently it was a 1080p panel in a 32" TV, which is a first for what I've seen. Also, I didn't notice the red bezel at all, until I jogged my mind to actually look for it, so it's not very noticeable at all, which is good for me :D.

I saw a 32" series 6 Samsung today at Harvey Norman Indooroopilly (Brisbane). It had a very, VERY glossy finish to it, and the screen seemed to be as glossy as the F8 series. Also, apparently it was a 1080p panel in a 32" TV, which is a first for what I've seen. Also, I didn't notice the red bezel at all, until I jogged my mind to actually look for it, so it's not very noticeable at all, which is good for me :D .

Did you think the screen itself reflected a lot of glare?

Wonder if it could be removed or some material (cling wrap type?)placed over the surface

A belt sander could do the job :D

But seriously, is the reflections on the models people have seen in store / own really bad?

My house is like a solarium, sky lights everwhere. The previous owner MUST have been in the business

Does anyone know how big the 32" boxes are? Trying to work out if im going to be able to fit two into the back of a 2dr bmw or if im going to have to wait for mum to get home with her commodore

What was the price tag? or Best Price Offered?

I saw a 32" series 6 Samsung today at Harvey Norman Indooroopilly (Brisbane). It had a very, VERY glossy finish to it, and the screen seemed to be as glossy as the F8 series. Also, apparently it was a 1080p panel in a 32" TV, which is a first for what I've seen. Also, I didn't notice the red bezel at all, until I jogged my mind to actually look for it, so it's not very noticeable at all, which is good for me :D.