Sign in to follow this  
mantronic

Hold Off Lcd Purchases Imo ... Samsung 650 9 June

I reckon get one with 100hz, you dont have to turn it on, and they may have firmware in the future that smooths it out even more.

thats a good point

then comes the question of sony or samsung and then get th current models or wait for the new ones?

although the new ones will be fairly exp comparatively

thats a good point

then comes the question of sony or samsung and then get th current models or wait for the new ones?

although the new ones will be fairly exp comparatively

If the prices for the new Sammys are anything to go by, then I'd go the new models.

Some retailers are advertising these new models at BELOW the cost of the OLD Sonys, unbelievable.

$2795 for a 6 series Samsung, I did not expect them to hit the floors at that kind of price!

Where are you going to get a 60Hz device from ? Everything is 50Hz here.

What world do you live in?

Xbox 1? Xbox 360?

No, not everything is 50hz here, not even close.

Xbox 1? Xbox 360?

include ps3 to that.

Xbox 1? Xbox 360?

Does it matter ? I haven't seen a single person complain about the 50 Hz vs 60Hz issue. I know a guy who has 4 hacked XBox 360s (modded and tweaked) and he had no issues. It seems to me the TVs have the multi-system capability and handle it just fine (as they should). It looks like a waste of time thinking about this non-issue.

unless someone can show me where I can get something else better for a similar price (not rhetorical, if someone can please do).

Not really a comparative expectation considering the nature of the industry is to provide more for less as the years go on.

So where does this kind of expectation leave us? At least in the case of your direct question most plasma's will have better blacks and less motion issues and, besides the pio, are that price or a bit less. I wouldn't, however, expect this kind of pricing or quality expectation to continue. Eventually your cost/benefit relationship will grind to a halt, which will leave you with nothing but your senses to make a decision. :)

i wouldnt believe everything your boss tells u

otheriwse u would have a job if u sold verything $150 below cost

It's all about unders and overs mate.

I know EXACTLY how much our tv's cost the shop.

However, i (and the boss) also knows that the next sale may well be a desperate buyer whos tv just blew up, and they ABSOLUTELY need a tv before his mates come over to watch the footy that night, so he won't haggle price, and is happy to pay it.

If the prices for the new Sammys are anything to go by, then I'd go the new models.

Some retailers are advertising these new models at BELOW the cost of the OLD Sonys, unbelievable.

$2795 for a 6 series Samsung, I did not expect them to hit the floors at that kind of price!

true true, hopefully they dont have the 100hz issues too

the only issue with samsungs is that they dont pass on 5.1 sound from a HDMI input to the their optical out

this is a problem for people (like me) who have only a single (in my case coaxial - so i need a coax optical converter) digital input on their audio system

this forces one to either choose 5.1 audio from discs or from FTA HDTV

although theres no mention if the sonys also do this

However, i (and the boss) also knows that the next sale may well be a desperate buyer whos tv just blew up, and they ABSOLUTELY need a tv before his mates come over to watch the footy that night, so he won't haggle price, and is happy to pay it.

So you admit that you fleece unsuspecting or desperate customers ?

So what happens when an Aussie hooks up a 60hz device?

I would be staggered if the new Samsung model didn't accept 60Hz sources. I'd bet my house on it.

It's all about unders and overs mate.

I know EXACTLY how much our tv's cost the shop.

In the retail world stock is paid in 30/60/90 days with discounts for early payment .Then there are rebates for advertising.If lucky you could get payment for a Screen before its ordered , before GST is applied & pay it off in 90 days with an overdraft facility.So thats why there are varying prices. Unless the Screen has been sitting in a storeroom for a year ! Woolworths, as an example, usually sell all their stock out before paying suppliers.Giving them a big start over the corner store. I do not think anyone on the retail floor is aware of the real cost or how the retailer prices the Screens.There may be a cost on an invoice but there are rebates etc etc. If the retailer is really big they are probably financed from overseas & deal with the manufacturers directly in a TAX HAVEN !

Edited by sydney2218

hey wait a sec, I remember you.....

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...t&p=1046130

You're the guy who suggested fleecing Bing Lee to fix a problem with his tv that he created. Sheesh. Pot calling kettle black here methinks... :D

Mate, you never EVER fleece the unsuspecting, you educate them, for two reasons. One, for the sake of selling a TV you truthfully know won't come back to bite you on the arse., and two, if you don't, the better salesperson will, and you will look the tool for not helping the customer.

and lets be frank, "Desperation" for a non-essential item is another term for "in great demand" of said non-essential item.

But hey, maybe if you find a salesperson "desperate" or "in great demand" of a sale, you can have a more equitable supply vs demand ratio, and hence you will get a cheaper price.

I have worked in retail for 6 years. You do not fleece customers, you provide the best service possible and if they are prepared to pay ticket price and they are happy - so who is getting screwed? Not ever customer is worried about price and don't view themselves as being ripped off by paying the ticket price.

has anyone seen the new Samsung's Series 6 in stores not online store yet?

any idea whats the main difference between the Series 6 and 7 and if there is going to be any promotions with the new LCDs like freebies?

I would be staggered if the new Samsung model didn't accept 60Hz sources. I'd bet my house on it.

My point is not does it accept 60hz, it's does a 50/100hz take a 60hz and 120 or 100 it?

mmmmm it explodes maybe?

lol i dunno what happens

i do know that it most probably wont work as they are specifically designed for america and not for us

its like ntsc and pal

not compatible

plus ull hv th problem of power cables / voltages

but yea visual equipment is one thing that america / aus is incompatible with each other

kinda sucks - the exchange rate right now could greatly benefit us haha

We're going to have to have a serious chat about your posting style.

I don't want to be 'that guy' but your posts are actually difficult to read.

has anyone seen the new Samsung's Series 6 in stores not online store yet?

any idea whats the main difference between the Series 6 and 7 and if there is going to be any promotions with the new LCDs like freebies?

I am anxiously waiting for them to hit the floors also, as I'm looking to buy a 46"

I havn't seen them in person but from having a look through the user manuals of them (i think thats the best way to see the functions of a product) the only difference i can see is that the 7 series has sort of a media centre built in - it can stream video off LAN / Wireless LAN as well as off a USB, where as the series 6 cannot - it is limited to audio / pictures. I think there was mention of preloaded content on the 7 also. Otherwise I think they are very similar. Perhaps a X / XBR type thing?

For those that don't already have media centres this would be a great feature, especially given the extensive range of formats the 7 supports (it supports H264!!!)

Cant wait to see them live and in action

We're going to have to have a serious chat about your posting style.

I don't want to be 'that guy' but your posts are actually difficult to read.

Woops, sorry :unsure:, all that MSN and Facebook talk slipping in there haha

I shall endevour to speak in proper english from thus on, good sir :P

Was thy above post acceptable? lol

finally seen a series 6 in store (Myer Chatswood). They only had the 32" & 40" in the floor, didn't have any 46" yet.. expecting them on the 28/6

Bing Lee in Chatswood also had a 32" on the floor

<snip>

Woops, sorry :unsure:, all that MSN and Facebook talk slipping in there haha

I shall endevour to speak in proper english from thus on, good sir :P

Was thy above post acceptable? lol

Yeah much better, not that it's up to me but I dunno for some reason I have trouble reading sentences that don't start with a capital, I'm getting old

hey wait a sec, I remember you.....

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...t&p=1046130

You're the guy who suggested fleecing Bing Lee to fix a problem with his tv that he created. Sheesh. Pot calling kettle black here methinks... :D

Mate, you never EVER fleece the unsuspecting, you educate them, for two reasons. One, for the sake of selling a TV you truthfully know won't come back to bite you on the arse., and two, if you don't, the better salesperson will, and you will look the tool for not helping the customer.

and lets be frank, "Desperation" for a non-essential item is another term for "in great demand" of said non-essential item.

But hey, maybe if you find a salesperson "desperate" or "in great demand" of a sale, you can have a more equitable supply vs demand ratio, and hence you will get a cheaper price.

I'm not your MATE. I do not make friends with people who cheat others to make a living. Never have, never will.

I've seen your kind - the salesmen who provide an "education" to customers. Selling costly items to people either because they're desperate or because they don't understand modern gizmos and the tech gobbledygook that is created to confuse them. You grab hard-earned money from mums and dads, money that they could have used to pay for food or the kids' education, just by shamelessly overpricing TVs and lying to them. By selling them stuff they don't need to buy. You're all the same.

So I told ONE man to see if he could get off lightly after making a stupid mistake and you quote that. How about all the other blows that I've struck to help customers in getting a better deal from your dodgy stores ? How about the "HDTV Prices" or other Best Price threads which you have been trying to shut down for so long ?

It really burns, doesn't it ? The fact that some people on the Internet have slashed your profit margins without even leaving their homes. The fact that some customers show up armed with the truth. The fact that over a million dollars have been erased from your balance sheet just because of better price discovery.

As for Bing Lee, he has been "Giving customers dishonest advice and worst prices" for 50 years. I've NEVER found him in a position to offer the best price to me and those of my mates who have been unlucky enough to buy from him have all got better quotes through me the next day.

Paulie,

Where is the concept of equality ? At 1 pm, I buy a TV ticketed at $2999 for $2999 and walk away. At 1:15 pm, my neighbour walks in and starts haggling, closes the deal at $2699. Both are happy and the matter is closed, in your books but not in mine. Can you imagine how much it's going to hurt me when I find out later ? It's not as if money grows on trees. Just because I did not know if I could haggle or because I was too polite to do so, I got cheated. If you think two different sets of rules and two different sets of prices can be applied to two people without any problems, let's do the same everywhere. We'll go to the post office - I'll haggle and post a letter for 60c, then you post an identical letter for $1.20. We'll go the petrol station side by side - I'll haggle and fill up at $1.50 per litre while you fill at $1.60. This is fraud, this is fleecing and this is rotten. Period. Best price IS a very important part of great service. Customers WILL remember that they were cheated once at your store and spread the word. The only place where you can expect to get away with it for a long time is an area with a large overseas-born population because the newcomers don't know much about local shops.

Cmon gents let's just drop that eh, there's arguments for both sides of the coin here, sometimes the customers who pay more money, cover the cost of the smart consumers who haggle to pay less.

If the prices were fixed, firstly we'd never know if we're getting a deal and secondly you can be sure they'd be higher than the prices that the bargainers pay now.

That being said, ripping people (150$ HDMI cables) blows.

Let's focus on actual displays huh? Has anyone in Melbourne been to digital centre in St Albans or wherever it is? I'm tempted to physically go there (I don't own a car, PT) and take my 360, PS3 and Xbox in a large bag, then play with some 42, 46 and 50" displays.

If they will let me :(

Wow someone just told me that my divx compatible dvd player can also play H264! All this time I thought it couldn't

Maybe I should have tried... :s

Suddenly the new 7 series seems pointless

Series 6 it is! After I get some sandpaper and scruff off that gloss that is!

what exactly is the H264 feature is it a big loss that the 6 series does not have it

First up, thanks to dtvforum and everyone contributing - I'm sure there's a lot like me who haven't contributed (yet) but read the forum religiously. Much appreciated.

To topic, does anyone know anything about the 650/750 and ethernet connectivity. It seems both models will be able to pull RSS feeds (wirelessly if you get the so-called LinkStick) but that only the 750 will be DLNA enabled. Does that really mean that the 650 will be ethernet-capable but not DLNA-capable - ridiculous.

Try googling any of this now - definite lack of information presently and the LinkStick is a ghost product at the moment, a few mentions but no pics / specs.

DLNA capability is a must have for the LCD I will be buying this year. I haven't looked at what the new Sony's will be capable of but I would assume ethernet connectivity/RSS/DLNA will be built in on the higher end.

I also want to cast a vote against the glossy screens - they only look nicer when they're off. Maybe that's the point - design wins over function again.

Thanks.