Sign in to follow this  
mantronic

Hold Off Lcd Purchases Imo ... Samsung 650 9 June

Just saw a 32 inch 650 at lunch and totally retract my comments on 100hz on this model.

Samsung AMP looks seamless on "cars" and "rocky" without looking f series fake.

The bravia beside it was a blur on the fights in rocky.

Blacks on the 650 are dark ... easily run of the mill plasma dark.

And the red is so subtle as to be almost invisible. Better than piano black too as it doesnt detract from on screen blacks.

BUUUUUT ... the screen must be the most reflective glass ever. Great for contract but its a perfect mirror and nothing less. One down light washe out one third of the screen!

Just saw a 32 inch 650 at lunch and totally retract my comments on 100hz on this model.

Samsung AMP looks seamless on "cars" and "rocky" without looking f series fake.

The bravia beside it was a blur on the fights in rocky.

Blacks on the 650 are dark ... easily run of the mill plasma dark.

And the red is so subtle as to be almost invisible. Better than piano black too as it doesnt detract from on screen blacks.

BUUUUUT ... the screen must be the most reflective glass ever. Great for contract but its a perfect mirror and nothing less. One down light washe out one third of the screen!

I've read they're going with the glossy screens yet again on the new series. That's killed it for me, regardless of how good they may be. I already have a mirror in the bathroom! It was the one issue that always came up on reviews of the F81's. Shame though, as the F81's do look great and the specs on the new series are very nice.

The password to edit the Wiki is "dtv". Please insert extra lines in the Samsung LCD record so that the older ones don't get overwritten. I have a few updates on the Sony LCDs, which I'll post by this evening.

As for the 46", I felt it was too big but having got one dirt cheap, I couldn't be happier. A bigger TV RULES !

thanks for that! I've updated as necessary.. I've also added prices for the 46" 650 - the salesguy quoted me between $2800-2900 when the retail price is $3499. do you guys think that's a good price?

the hdtvwiki is like a bible to me at the moment.. i'm glad to have contributed to it ;)

thanks for that! I've updated as necessary.. I've also added prices for the 46" 650 - the salesguy quoted me between $2800-2900 when the retail price is $3499. do you guys think that's a good price?

the hdtvwiki is like a bible to me at the moment.. i'm glad to have contributed to it ;)

where's the wiki?

also $2800-2900 for the 46" 650 where?!?

[edit]

found the wiki (http://hdtvprices.pbwiki.com) so it answered my questions

Edited by ethergy

where's the wiki?

also $2800-2900 for the 46" 650 where?!?

[edit]

found the wiki (http://hdtvprices.pbwiki.com) so it answered my questions

Which Myers are u referring to. Those are big price drops from rrp for a brand new product. I sooo want the 50inch but yeah its just too expensive right now.

100hz is a mess ... there is no such thing as 100 frame per sec material ... they should forget "frame interpolation" and concentrate on 50/60 hertz screens with gaming pc response times (0ms/1ms).

That would be nice

Who wants 90ms lag

No one

and 3 or 4 guesstimate images stuffed in the gap?????????

Me, I do - 100hz looks brilliant considering the data it's being fed, it makes a slow image look smooth and solid, very much like a PC monitor - perfect for games with solid, crisp menus.

holy frigging cow, you guys think this is a mistake?

http://shop.gameon.net.au/p/529583/samsung...a52a650a1f.html

I Negotiated a 52" F81 down to $4031 at JB 3 weeks ago....

they said they couldn't get any more stock of the F81 in...

So I was offered the choice of a floor model or to wait for the new model...

I figured hey, thats pretty good, will wait for the new model, get a brand new model at a good price, only downside is the wait.

now I'm looking at this and thinking what the hell... thankfully I think I am still in the position of being able to demand a refund from JB, as I have paid for goods and they aren't able to provide them.

to discount a brand new model down to around $500 less than a discounted price on the old model is frigging insane, and makes me wonder how much room retailers have to move on this TV, as Game-on isn't even normally the cheapest retailer around...

simply crazy, gonna have to print that screen out and take it to JB get them to go lower for all the hassle they have caused me...

Who is this 'gameon' crew though? Those prices seem very cheap according to the googling I'm doing

Not some kind of shady scam?

Geeze for a 52inch LCD that is cheap. The store is in Miranda which I shop at regularly so I might go check em out. Their shipping is cheap too.

I just read their FAQ and they seem legit. They have a bricks and mortar shopfront so it aint gonna get anymore legit than that.

I wonder too just how much room shops have as this is a huge cut off the rrp. I wonder if this wont be the norm discounted price once these units are full available in the shops ?.

There is a Myer, DJ's (dont sell Samsung) and JB-HI in Miranda too, so its a pretty competitive spot.

Im really tempted to order from these guys, but Im gonna wait till the tvs are shipping and in plentiful supply to see how that effects prices, soooooo tempting though :)

Edited by walexx

DSE has their prices up on their site (no stock yet)

LN46A650 - $3499

Gameon are a legit crew, bought stuff off them in the past, they are usually fairly cheap, although you can usually negotiate with JB etc to get lower, (not marked though)

Which Myers are u referring to. Those are big price drops from rrp for a brand new product. I sooo want the 50inch but yeah its just too expensive right now.

that's the myers in westfields parramatta. i thought i wrote that down in the wiki??

insane: nah i dont think thats a mistake.. the average shopper would be happy with the retail prices they display at stores, its only people like us that frequent the forums know that the tvs can be haggled for much less. buying tvs now is like buying a 2nd hand car :)

wowowowowowowowwow!

I did say to hold oof off til the 9th didnt i ;-)

Makes sense though ... we have been saying 52 inch premium on lcd has been over the top, esp compared to plasma ... 6 inches from 40 - 46 is less than $500 whereas 6 inches from 46 to 52 is $1k to $2k.

Id buy a 52 inch a650 in a heartbeat if was at least the diffused semi mirror like my x7 panasonic ... but near enough to f series mirror!.

Makes sense though ... we have been saying 52 inch premium on lcd has been over the top, esp compared to plasma ... 6 inches from 40 - 46 is less than $500 whereas 6 inches from 46 to 52 is $1k to $2k.

The massive price difference between a 46" and 52" for such a small difference in size reminds me of what said about a marathon - any one can run 26 miles but it's the last 385 yards that are a killer. Of course, that was before today's hormone and steroid-filled athletes who would go on and on like the Energizer bunny.

It's about time the price came down. Unfortunately, the mirror finish is here to stay so some people won't get what they're looking for in the new Samsungs.

Edited by kulfi

Had a good play with saw a 40 inch a650 today.

Im backflipping on 100hz ... i dont like it ... its fairly natural on the A650 (like motion flow) but still looks a tad silly in some shots and still produces artifacts.

The benefits on some shots are outweighted by the silliness on others and artifacts.

I definitely like the 50hz better, and thats after a good long look at cars with a split screen 100hz/50hz. Plus its one less setting to fiddle with and obsess about :).

On cinema/movie mode the blacks were nowhere near even a last gen base modal panasonic. Total night and day between the a650 and a pio.

Otherwise a nice tv. With 100hz off motion was quite good ... closing credits showed idential judder to pio and pana plasmas even.

And the red is quite noticable and nicer than piano black but not quite as grown up or serious.

Otherwise a nice tv. With 100hz off motion was quite good ... closing credits showed idential judder to pio and pana plasmas even.

Therefore, the conclusion is the same as we had for the F8 in December - overall a very nice TV but shut off the 100Hz. Then why pay extra for it ? Buy the M8 (or the A550 in this case) and spend the balance on a nice set of speakers/game console/hard-disk based media player.

Therefore, the conclusion is the same as we had for the F8 in December - overall a very nice TV but shut off the 100Hz. Then why pay extra for it ? Buy the M8 (or the A550 in this case) and spend the balance on a nice set of speakers/game console/hard-disk based media player.

Exactly ... and with the 550 you get the matt screen.

Myer had the 52 inch of $4400 and seemed happy to take 15% off it ... really looks like 52 inches will be the biggest price falls this gen.

Myer had the 52 inch of $4400 and seemed happy to take 15% off it ... really looks like 52 inches will be the biggest price falls this gen.

The 52" M8 (if you could have got one) was going for $2950 after $300 cashback in May-end. This was a similar model to the A550 and it makes the $4400 - $660 = $3740 price seem a bit high.

For $3740, I could get -

My 46" Sammy N8 for $2099 that I bought in Feb

The freebie 19" LCD that came along with it

The new LG 50" PG20 plasma for $1500

The remaining $140 should get me close to the Hard Disk-based Media Player

Three TVs and media player for the price of one.

Edited by kulfi

we are you guys seeing the 650? i have had only a quick look around but am yet to see one in the flesh

I Negotiated a 52" F81 down to $4031 at JB 3 weeks ago....

they said they couldn't get any more stock of the F81 in...

So I was offered the choice of a floor model or to wait for the new model...

I figured hey, thats pretty good, will wait for the new model, get a brand new model at a good price, only downside is the wait.

now I'm looking at this and thinking what the hell... thankfully I think I am still in the position of being able to demand a refund from JB, as I have paid for goods and they aren't able to provide them.

to discount a brand new model down to around $500 less than a discounted price on the old model is frigging insane, and makes me wonder how much room retailers have to move on this TV, as Game-on isn't even normally the cheapest retailer around...

simply crazy, gonna have to print that screen out and take it to JB get them to go lower for all the hassle they have caused me...

I sell them guys, and believe me, there isn't THAT much money in them.

I work in Campbelltown at a major electrical retailer, and about three weeks ago, we recieved the new LG series of TV's in, first shipment. 47lg60ud to be exact.

first one i sold on the FIRST DAY we had it in stock, I was already matching another local retailers price, which was 150 dollars below invoice cost. Not a bullshit price (I can usually smell the bullshit, and tell those people to go and buy it from retailer x, and they end up buying off me anyway at my price 10 mins later) Striaght off the bat. Some retailers just don't like to make money, and "prematurely" discount the goods.

Having said that, the price of $2795 for a 46 650 series comes as absolutely no surprise to me, considering the invoice price.

The 52" M8 (if you could have got one) was going for $2950 after $300 cashback in May-end. This was a similar model to the A550 and it makes the $4400 - $660 = $3740 price seem a bit high.

For $3740, I could get -

My 46" Sammy N8 for $2099 that I bought in Feb

The freebie 19" LCD that came along with it

The new LG 50" PG20 plasma for $1500

The remaining $140 should get me close to the Hard Disk-based Media Player

Three TVs and media player for the price of one.

yeah, but why would you buy three turds?

I'd rather one gold nugget.

Exactly ... and with the 550 you get the matt screen.

I am tossing up between the 550 or 650 in the 52". Can't wait to see them side by side and spec vs spec.

Main use will be Upscaled DVD/BD and minor FTA.

If anyone sees them together please comment.

Edited by Philby

we are you guys seeing the 650? i have had only a quick look around but am yet to see one in the flesh

just saw the 40" one after 4pm at HN Dandy(cnr Frankston Dandy rd)

ask for a price for the 46", salesman said 3.5k

Would this new model crashes all other samsung panels???