Sign in to follow this  
mantronic

Hold Off Lcd Purchases Imo ... Samsung 650 9 June

This is the same old motion flow issue that plagued the Samsung F8. It means they still haven't fixed it and the fault lies in Samsung's electronics, not the panel.

Is it a Scarlet killer ? Yes but not because the Sammy A650 is very good. It's because LG's reputation has been tarnished by last year's frozen tuner disasters, build quality issues and some pretty ordinary models. People will avoid LG even if the Scarlet is reasonably good.

LG has shot the Scarlet in the face by putting a big bullet hole on the bezel, which is also going to put off several buyers.

agreed, the scarlet is just plain ugly. I wouldn't buy it even if it was a great tv

agreed, the scarlet is just plain ugly. I wouldn't buy it even if it was a great tv

Also, what's up with their posters for the Scarlet ? It looks like an ad for some TV show and for days, I was wondering why no channel had any ads for the "Scarlet" show. No mention of the TV and certainly no photos of it. Just a girl with a red eye, which reminded me of Hannibal Lecter.

The Scarlet's design, other than the hole, is also very strange. The back of the TV is red but now someone says he has seen a blue scarlet (???) TV in the shops. The bezel is very plasticky, especially below the panel and it looks like one big slab of black plastic. This design is very strange because LG's new plasmas are quite good-looking (including a frameless TV) so why is there such a big difference between that and the LCD family ? Samsung tries to keep a similar look and maintains a family resemblance.

This is the same old motion flow issue that plagued the Samsung F8. It means they still haven't fixed it and the fault lies in Samsung's electronics, not the panel

What was the problem?

Don't know much at all about the Samsung

Edited by duke

What was the problem?

Check out the earlier to middle pages of the huge "Samsung F81 series" thread for loads more information. To save you some time, I'll summarise it -

Samsung introduced a 100Hz Motion Flow feature to smooth out image blur on the F8 LCD. This was not implemented properly and made motion look artificial. There's even a review on the CNet Australia web page of this TV with the same issue reported by them. From what I read about the new A650, it looks like the problem is still around, pointing at the electronics rather than the panel itself.

If you check over at avforums.com you can read a little about the problem. However, according to most of the people the new firmware available has fixed the problem.

I can only hope that the models arriving at stores are already running the latest firmware.

Saw the 550 samsung today ... matt screen vs glossy ... Id pick it over the 650 as Im likeing 100hz less and less each week.

40 inch 550 will be 2200.

Where does June 9 come from? I havent seen an official release date anywhere yet.

myer but its not official ... jb are expecting by the end of next week.

40 inch 550 will be 2200.

Is that RRP or street price ? The 550 is supposed to be a successor to the M8, which was last spotted going for $1700 before $150 cashback. $2200 is too much if it's street price and if $2200 is RRP, it still is a bit rich.

I was in a DSE Powerhouse on the weekend, and the guy quoted ~$2200 for the 40in 550 from their computer. I'm guessing that's what they'll ticket it as. Apparently they are expecting stock by the end of this week.

I was in a DSE Powerhouse on the weekend, and the guy quoted ~$2200 for the 40in 550 from their computer.

Then it's a crap price !

Any offical pricing of the 650

in the first post ... thats of the myer system ... pretty much the same prices as the f which officially havent come down much.

I has a good look at a 550 32 inch today ... $1300 and not noticably better than any old models. Unless the new sonys are a revolution I suspect lcds arent getting much better this generation.

As the sonys are samsung and sharp panels, and notoriously slow processing, I suspect sony wont pull much out.

Any offical pricing of the 650

yeah - myer offered me $2300 for the 40" 650. Bing Lee at Bondi Junction offered me $2350, and both places had the tv retailing for about $2799. bing lee gave me this price without much effort on my part, and myers had a pretty good salesguy that knew his stuff.

this seems like a pretty good deal, but do correct me if im wrong :)

should i update these prices on hdtvwiki?

Edited by jinx405

yeah - myer offered me $2300 for the 40" 650. Bing Lee at Bondi Junction offered me $2350, and both places had the tv retailing for about $2799. bing lee gave me this price without much effort on my part, and myers had a pretty good salesguy that knew his stuff.

this seems like a pretty good deal, but do correct me if im wrong :)

should i update these prices on hdtvwiki?

Update the prices. At least it's a debut for the new models on the Wiki.

Not very impressed with the prices, though. The older 46" F8 can be had for just $150 to $200 more. I'm not a fan of 100Hz so I might even recommend that people pick up the older 46" M8 for around $2200. As mantronic said, the new ones aren't a massive step up so why not go with the older ones on runout while they last ?

Not very impressed with the prices, though. The older 46" F8 can be had for just $150 to $200 more. I'm not a fan of 100Hz so I might even recommend that people pick up the older 46" M8 for around $2200. As mantronic said, the new ones aren't a massive step up so why not go with the older ones on runout while they last ?

100hz is a mess ... there is no such thing as 100 frame per sec material ... they should forget "frame interpolation" and concentrate on 50/60 hertz screens with gaming pc response times (0ms/1ms).

Who wants 90ms lag and 3 or 4 guesstimate images stuffed in the gap?????????

Looking like this next generation of LCDS are a non event ... a550 with 50 hertz and matt screen sound the best to me so far.

Problem is the M8 is getting quite rare. It's the set I was interested in, as it fits best in my cabinet. But the only ones I could find were at the big chains (HN, DSE etc), who wouldn't budge much on price. I can't really blame them, they will no doubt sell them to some sucker for $2500, why should they sell it to me for $2K?

100hz is a mess ... there is no such thing as 100 frame per sec material...

25FPS/50hz = 50FPS/100hz, so it makes the motion smoother and avoids tearing of 25FPS material....

It has nothing to do with 100FPS material, if your eyes are average you may not notice... But i can so I'm happy that we have 100hz... :)

I think that 50hz should be phased out and 100hz should be standard to avoid the stupid amount of models available, it seems most Plasmas offer it standard.

For those looking at the 6 series, I see DSE have it listed now, pics/specs/price on the DSE website:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/G6522

3.5k for 46" LCD does seem a little extreme to me however....

Edited by Freak

err... i dont have a pbwiki login, so i cant update the prices there. how do i go about on getting one? should i wait for a pm fro you? :)

the 46" is too big for my cabinet and my room, so i'm happy with the 40". they are phasing out the F8 series, and i'm pretty much torn between the 650 and this model. the 650 has more leverage in terms of contrast ratio and more importantly to me for gaming, response time (4ms)...

Ok...if I am not into gaming, should I get F81 since it is cheap now or still wait for 650/750?

I mostly watch movies.

err... i dont have a pbwiki login, so i cant update the prices there. how do i go about on getting one? should i wait for a pm fro you? :)

the 46" is too big for my cabinet and my room, so i'm happy with the 40". they are phasing out the F8 series, and i'm pretty much torn between the 650 and this model. the 650 has more leverage in terms of contrast ratio and more importantly to me for gaming, response time (4ms)...

I am exactly in your position as I am also torn between the 40" F8 and the new 40" 650 model. I am just awaiting the final prices on the 650 and their availability as I want to see one working. I play a lot of video games also.

better specs than plasmas now eh

things change too fast, can be bothered buying a new one every year.

The password to edit the Wiki is "dtv". Please insert extra lines in the Samsung LCD record so that the older ones don't get overwritten. I have a few updates on the Sony LCDs, which I'll post by this evening.

As for the 46", I felt it was too big but having got one dirt cheap, I couldn't be happier. A bigger TV RULES !

25FPS/50hz = 50FPS/100hz, so it makes the motion smoother and avoids tearing of 25FPS material....

It has nothing to do with 100FPS material, if your eyes are average you may not notice... But i can so I'm happy that we have 100hz... :)

I think that 50hz should be phased out and 100hz should be standard to avoid the stupid amount of models available, it seems most Plasmas offer it standard.

The pricing for the new models is too high. Better to wait till the Olympics for prices to fall and offers to arrive.

I'm pretty sure Samsung will pull off something like the "free LCD" thing to grab market share.

As for the 100Hz thing, it creates artificial motion and I'm not in favour of it. Response time is a bit of an issue and I feel those who are more sensitive should stick to plasma for the moment (maybe till LCD response time goes down to 2ms like computer monitors).