Hold Off Lcd Purchases Imo ... Samsung 650 9 June

From the quick comparisons I made between the manuals of the 6 / 7 from the Sony america site, the only difference I could see was the 7 not being able to play / stream video, with the 6 limited to audio and pictures only. The 7 allows you to link to a computer and browse "shared" folders etc... Basically like a built in media centre. I am not quite sure what DLNA is so I cannot comment. This is only what I could gather from the american models so don't know if it applies to the ones we are gonna see

And is there any word on the release date / performance compared to the samsungs (old and new) of the new sonys?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the quick comparisons I made between the manuals of the 6 / 7 from the Sony america site, the only difference I could see was the 7 not being able to play / stream video, with the 6 limited to audio and pictures only. The 7 allows you to link to a computer and browse "shared" folders etc... Basically like a built in media centre. I am not quite sure what DLNA is so I cannot comment. This is only what I could gather from the american models so don't know if it applies to the ones we are gonna see

DNLA as written in wikipedia.

And is there any word on the release date / performance compared to the samsungs (old and new) of the new sonys?

I'm interested as well, wonder how different the new models between Samsung and Sony will be....

To topic, does anyone know anything about the 650/750 and ethernet connectivity. It seems both models will be able to pull RSS feeds (wirelessly if you get the so-called LinkStick) but that only the 750 will be DLNA enabled. Does that really mean that the 650 will be ethernet-capable but not DLNA-capable - ridiculous.

DLNA capability is a must have for the LCD I will be buying this year. I haven't looked at what the new Sony's will be capable of but I would assume ethernet connectivity/RSS/DLNA will be built in on the higher end.

I also want to cast a vote against the glossy screens - they only look nicer when they're off. Maybe that's the point - design wins over function again.

Thanks.

Maybe I'm wrong, but didnt they pull the plug on ethernet on the series 6 Samsung? Nobody seems to talk about it much! I thought ethernet was only on the series 7?

I totally agree about you in regards to glossy screens - I actually do believe they enhance the colours of the picture though. At detriment of higher glare, useless in bright rooms, and reflection from lights around the room.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm looking at the US manual for the 650 and it shows an ethernet port on the back. Interesting to see what happens with AU models. I'm also mystified as to why they would ethernet equip a device and not have it DLNA capable.

For those interested in my motives ... presently I have wireless home network with a PS3 and some PC's accessing media and resources from a network attached storage box (DLink323) which is running DLNA (a flavour of UPnP) among other things. They all talk together and work surprisingly well and let me store everything (music,photos,video) on one device. Adding a DLNA capable TV into the mix would pretty much cap it off for me.

I have little doubt the new Sony's will do it because of the effort they've put into PS3 last year (fixing some video issues in the December(?) firmware update and getting the DLNA working properly). It's pretty plain the way they are headed if you read around.

Any feedback on what I've mentioned welcome - always looking out for new stuff (as long as it plays nicely with my old stuff).

Also RSS would be pretty cool on a TV - like teletext that is actually useful.

Thanks.

Where is the concept of equality ? At 1 pm, I buy a TV ticketed at $2999 for $2999 and walk away. At 1:15 pm, my neighbour walks in and starts haggling, closes the deal at $2699. Both are happy and the matter is closed, in your books but not in mine.

Not really the salesperson's fault that you're bad at haggling is it ;) Maybe you should go shopping with your neighbour? :D

just bought a 6 series from myer in parra for way less than 2300 (wont say the exact amount- see ramsey top BLOKE!!) and also got $300 off a $400 item

You almost hid every fact from your own post.

If only people could know how big that TV was it would be a thumbsup for every1 :) ....

You grab hard-earned money from mums and dads, money that they could have used to pay for food or the kids' education, just by shamelessly overpricing TVs and lying to them. By selling them stuff they don't need to buy. You're all the same.

Yeah, because well meaning parents with hard earned money would SO buy a TV over feeding their kids. Thats a rediculous statement.

Every stop and think that kulfi, maybe I have a family? A mortgage? Perhaps a wife working part time and an 18 month old baby boy? I know how tough it is out there, and I also know that if you come into a shop to buy a TV, you should have made an executive decision to put food on the table first. (I can't belive I just had to type out that sentence) I'm not gonna ask every person I sell a TV if they have paid their bills first, fed the kids, put petrol in the car. That is up to them, not me.

Cry me a river if somebody doesn't buy food to buy a new plasma TV, they are in the wrong there, not me.

It really burns, doesn't it ? The fact that some people on the Internet have slashed your profit margins without even leaving their homes. The fact that some customers show up armed with the truth. The fact that over a million dollars have been erased from your balance sheet just because of better price discovery.

It will burn you to know I LOVE IT mate. I bloody love it. I see a smug couple eagerly clutching a list of prices, or better yet a Choice website review, and I think "CHA-CHING"

Why?

Standard "uneducated" customer will usually need to have features explained to them, demonstrations made, etc... then they will go from shop to shop, get best price, I beat that price, may need to apply for finance, and get the sale. Total time approx 30-45 minutes give or take.

however, the customer you describe is this:

Customer walks in points to TV. They know everything about it, pros, cons, contrast ratios, ms response, everything. (particularly the ones with the choice reviews in there hands, they are gold....) They have a list of prices ranging approx 15-25%. in their minds they have percived to have got themselves the best price already, have cash/credit card in the pocket. In their minds THEY HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT THE TV.

All i have to do is beat their price by 5 bucks (irrespective of whether its the best price i can do or not), and bang. A very easy sale. Total time approx 5-10 minutes. They already sold themselves the TV. All I have to do is price it. and ther profits? Well, they either get made up in turnover, or accessories.

Either way I win, since my commission is mainly turnover based.

If all customers were like that, I would love it.

And with all the extra commission, I'd buy myself a 52" 650 series TV. So to keep it relevant to the thread, what i'm saying is wait for these TV's, and don't buy the garbage on display from the old R,N,M, and F series that is currently in the shops. It'll be well worth the wait.

I just got a quote for the Samsung 32" 650 from Myer for $1450. Just wondering what are ppl's thoughts on this price?

Thats is a pretty keen price. Is it cash or interest free?

Edited by Underd0g

And with all the extra commission, I'd buy myself a 52" 650 series TV. So to keep it relevant to the thread, what i'm saying is wait for these TV's, and don't buy the garbage on display from the old R,N,M, and F series that is currently in the shops. It'll be well worth the wait.

If where you work sells LG, how would you compare this to the scarlet range?

If where you work sells LG, how would you compare this to the scarlet range?

scarlet range is good - in the 100hz series. THe 50hz look good by themselves, but ordinary when next to a 100hz.

Having said that you won't have a 100hz sitting next to your tv in your lounge room.

Machine Ill PM you.

scarlet range is good - in the 100hz series. THe 50hz look good by themselves, but ordinary when next to a 100hz.

Having said that you won't have a 100hz sitting next to your tv in your lounge room.

Machine Ill PM you.

Sorry, just to clarify, are you saying that the scarlet range is as good as / worse / better than the new 6/7 series samsungs?

Sorry, just to clarify, are you saying that the scarlet range is as good as / worse / better than the new 6/7 series samsungs?

I havent got the larger sized 6/7 series in stock yet to compare.

What im saying is relative too what is currently out (sony, sharp, philips, toshiba to name a few) they look really good, with the 100hz looking as good as any of the 40,46, and 52 x and xbr series tv's on the market, but with more vibrance in the colours (the 50,000 contrast is really noticeable)

Edited by Underd0g

I havent got the larger sized 6/7 series in stock yet to compare.

What im saying is relative too what is currently out (sony, sharp, philips, toshiba to name a few) they look really good, with the 100hz looking as good as any of the 40,46, and 52 x and xbr series tv's on the market, but with more vibrance in the colours (the 50,000 contrast is really noticeable)

That's what I noticed about it - the colours were very vibrant!

Are you saying the samsung series 7 is coming?

Oh wow, so in your opinion the scarlet range is just as good, if not better than the bravias!

Hmmm....must factor LG into my considerations too then

I thought it was only gonna be a toss up between the current sonys and the new coming sammys

Does anyone know when the 32" 450 will be out? Digital Centre told me that it will definitely be available at the start of next week, but The Good Guys said that Samsung is taking all the retailers to a conference on the 17th about the new range and it will be at least 2 weeks until it's on the shelves.

Oh wow, so in your opinion the scarlet range is just as good, if not better than the bravias!

Hmmm....must factor LG into my considerations too then

I thought it was only gonna be a toss up between the current sonys and the new coming sammys

Basically, from all the reviews I have read the LG does very good colour reproduction, and does not have a glossy screen.

The samsung 6 series have a glossy screen, but have deeper blacks than the LGs. The firmware shipped in them overseas casused many problems - most of these were fixed with the latest firmware for the TV.

Hey, just wondering if anyone has seen / owns the new Samsung 650 range ?

Was talking to a guy in JB-Hifi (Newcastle, NSW) this arvo and he said he'd be able to do the 650 52inch for $4100 from memory and an extra $190 for 5yr warranty. (Haven't actually got the sets in store yet)

Sounds very temping, although i had a quick read of this thread and the finish doesn't sound very temping ?? :o

Is there any current model Samsungs that have this finish or is it only the new 6 & 7 series ??

Thanks in advance. :lol: