Hold Off Lcd Purchases Imo ... Samsung 650 9 June

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wowowowowowowowwow!

I did say to hold oof off til the 9th didnt i ;-)

Makes sense though ... we have been saying 52 inch premium on lcd has been over the top, esp compared to plasma ... 6 inches from 40 - 46 is less than $500 whereas 6 inches from 46 to 52 is $1k to $2k.

Id buy a 52 inch a650 in a heartbeat if was at least the diffused semi mirror like my x7 panasonic ... but near enough to f series mirror!.

That's an impressive price for a 52" 1080p 100hz LCD, I will not deny that - how is it compared to a Sony XBR 46"

Any reviews, perhaps of the US version, assuming they got it first?

Wonder if anyone else can beat that price for cash - I also like the 3 year warranty, nice.

I sell them guys, and believe me, there isn't THAT much money in them.

I work in Campbelltown at a major electrical retailer, and about three weeks ago, we recieved the new LG series of TV's in, first shipment. 47lg60ud to be exact.

first one i sold on the FIRST DAY we had it in stock, I was already matching another local retailers price, which was 150 dollars below invoice cost. Not a bullshit price (I can usually smell the bullshit, and tell those people to go and buy it from retailer x, and they end up buying off me anyway at my price 10 mins later) Striaght off the bat. Some retailers just don't like to make money, and "prematurely" discount the goods.

Having said that, the price of $2795 for a 46 650 series comes as absolutely no surprise to me, considering the invoice price.

i wouldnt believe everything your boss tells u

otheriwse u would have a job if u sold verything $150 below cost

Saw the 550 samsung today ... matt screen vs glossy ... Id pick it over the 650 as Im likeing 100hz less and less each week.

40 inch 550 will be 2200.

When you say glossy you don't mean the actual display has a high gloss finish like Sony laptop (Vaio) lcd's and some of the macbooks do you?

That absoloutely repulses me it's so horrible. :(

I am exactly in your position as I am also torn between the 40" F8 and the new 40" 650 model. I am just awaiting the final prices on the 650 and their availability as I want to see one working. I play a lot of video games also.

Same here, I want a display which has a solid, crisp and reliable image which doesn't shimmer and wave about and looks good in games from the PS3 / X360 and even PS2 / Wii / Xbox 1!

The Sony XBR can be had for 3200$ from digital centre (46") and for another 350$ they'll throw in a 550$ blu ray player (sony cash back deal) - I'm trying to decide what to do.

I must admit a 52" samsung for 300$ more is nice though, specially as it comes 'stock' from digital centre with a 3 year warranty, or so it says.

The Sony XBR can be had for 3200$ from digital centre (46") and for another 350$ they'll throw in a 550$ blu ray player (sony cash back deal) - I'm trying to decide what to do.

There is absolutely no difference internally between a Sony X and XBR. Save your money and buy the X instead.

When you say glossy you don't mean the actual display has a high gloss finish like Sony laptop (Vaio) lcd's and some of the macbooks do you?

That absoloutely repulses me it's so horrible. :(

That's exactly what he means.

Everyone expects no dead pixels, but people will happily buy such a highly refelctive panel that there's effectively entire ranges of pixels that are 'whitewashed' by typical lounge room lights/Cracks in the curtain.

That's exactly what he means.

Everyone expects no dead pixels, but people will happily buy such a highly refelctive panel that there's effectively entire ranges of pixels that are 'whitewashed' by typical lounge room lights/Cracks in the curtain.

/Hug/

Brother!

Indeed, I could rant for 97 goddamned pages here about how much I detest high gloss displays.

I am absoloutely convinced that it's a copycat procedure and sheep mentality by consumers and manufacturers, I'm positive of it, how can anyone possibly like it? Except of course people who like 'shiny things'

Sony or Apple or someone started it with laptop LCD displays several years ago, then everyone 'me too'd' it.

I remember considering purchasing a Dell laptop to replace my old Dell a year or so ago and I had to worry if it had that awful surface.

If I wanted to see myself, I'd go and look in the mirror.

Well that's the Samsung definately off my list, thanks for saving me time :)

So what's the difference at all then?

Its the flash alloy bezel, as opposed to the plastic and glass of the 'X' series.

$300 bucks for a different look basically! Same tv though.

just had a look at the series 6 and 7 on the american samsung site...

the 7 has an awesome feature - it can play videos off usb AND lan!

and it even supports H264 format!

thats such a useful feature - the 6 doesnt have it though...it can only play audio and pics of usb / lan

im in such a predicament now

dont know weather to get a samsung with / without 100hz now

or a sony with / without 100 hz now

or wait for the new line of sonys in september

or the new samsungs!

arrgghh confusion...

thats such a useful feature - the 6 doesnt have it though...it can only play audio and pics of usb / lan

or the new samsungs!

arrgghh confusion...

Well, maybe a useful feature for some. Not for me though. I think the 7 series comes with some HD content stored on some internal flash memory that it can play too, but really... How often would you use these extra features? I have a media center which I use and love all the time (just with my CRT for the moment, until tax time :D) and I would always use that. To me, the extra price of the 7 series just doesn't justify it. But perhaps that's because I have a media center already.

I think I'll be buying a new Samsung 6 series, despite the glossy screen. I wonder how many other people have said that. $3600 for this 52 inch LCD is bloody fantastic - unless someone can show me where I can get something else better for a similar price (not rhetorical, if someone can please do).

Edited by brendanz

or the new samsungs!

arrgghh confusion...

hey that's a pretty good feature! Especially for those of us without media centres. When do these new 7 series tv's come out?

Cheers,

So what happens when an Aussie hooks up a 60hz device?

mmmmm it explodes maybe?

lol i dunno what happens

i do know that it most probably wont work as they are specifically designed for america and not for us

its like ntsc and pal

not compatible

plus ull hv th problem of power cables / voltages

but yea visual equipment is one thing that america / aus is incompatible with each other

kinda sucks - the exchange rate right now could greatly benefit us haha

Where are you going to get a 60Hz device from ? Everything is 50Hz here.

Some bluray's have 480p60 content.

They seem to play fine on my F81... I think they probably use 120hz mode ;)

Plus I run my Xbox in NTSC mode, which gives me access to 720p60 output from it

Edited by Stux

or the new samsungs!

arrgghh confusion...

I reckon get one with 100hz, you dont have to turn it on, and they may have firmware in the future that smooths it out even more.