Owners Thread - Lg 42/47lg60fd Scarlet Lcd Tv

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a few sales people warn me against buying an LCd Tv from LG. They did not stock LG themselves but i had also heard from a tv repairman that LG have the most comebacks he comes accross. this may not be the case now as the units in question had 1 year warranties but does anyone else know much abnout this?

this panel sounds great and is good value for money for $1900 .

LG used to have the most comebacks - But that's because they sold phenomenal amounts of there product! Fair enough they were new to the industry still walking along their learning curve. But now, they're creating the curve for other manufacturers to learn from! Now.. The LCDs have 3 year warranties and with their smaller appliances eg. DVD Players, Recorders, they provide an in home service!

SuFz :ninja:

Fezza

Were you watching the AFL and soccer in SD or HD ?

let me know what it looks like in SD

cheers

i was watching afl on HD and soccer (euro on sbs) in hd (ch30 which is broadcast as 576p which is true sd as true hd has to be atleast 720p and above and sbs can't afford that yet :P) and it looked great anyway. no blurring/shearing effect etc

I had a few sales people warn me against buying an LCd Tv from LG. They did not stock LG themselves but i had also heard from a tv repairman that LG have the most comebacks he comes accross. this may not be the case now as the units in question had 1 year warranties but does anyone else know much abnout this?

this panel sounds great and is good value for money for $1900 .

I get the feeling if LG products were really that bad they wouldn't be sold at all...

But the reason for so many returns is the amount of sales..... If LG are the biggest manufacturer of electrical goods in the world,

there is a high likely hood that they will also have the highest level of faults on those items. It's just maths.....

In all likely hood Sony do likely get less returns, of course they likely sell about 1/5th of the amount of electrical items worldwide.

I'm not saying LG are the best quality gear around, they aren't..... They are just one of the standard large consumer level product makers around.

But i would be looking at the features, specs and price, and be worrying less about the name. 3 Year Warranty, is fairly standard..

I used to sell Acer Monitors many years back, used to come back 3 times often as any other monitor we sold, Normally this would be a worry...

Of course we sold about 30:1 Acer to Sony, So on averages of items sold It was the Trinitrons made in either Mexico or China

that came back for repair or replacement more often than not..... So we would get 5 faulty Acers to 1 faulty Sony, the difference is we would of

only sold 1x Sony to get 1x Sony faulty, meanwhile there were at least 25 Acers still working without issue for somebody...

Edited by Freak

I purchased a 42lg60fd 3 weeks ago, Loving it cant get off it expecially with the ps3, Looks great no problems what so ever watch the footy on it 24 7 no problems with judder etc sport mode works great, But im a newb to lcds so my settings are standard, Can anyone give me some settings for blu ray etc Cinema mode just makes it darker and it looks better with it off, So if anyone can list there settings for that sort of thing would be a great help + Currently using the standard vivid mode for everything, Should i have it on the intellegent sensor instead?

Need help i had perfect picuture/sound for viewing hd tv, Then i was playing around with the settings trying to get it right for a blu ray, And i wasnt sure if i had stuffed anything around so i restored the tv and it asked me if the tv was for home use or in store i chose home use, But now the picture / sound isnt half as good as it was, I bought the tv brand new and when i set it up the first time it never asked if it was for home/store display use, Since the picture/sound was better could i have had it set up for store display? Will it do any damage at all if i changed it to store display and used the tv like that? Its a 4260fd.

So looks like the 70YD LG's are out now. http://au.lge.com/products/model/detail/tv..._42lg70yd.jhtml

IT says they are a 14 bit pannel... Does that make them better than the samsung 6 series which is apparantly 12 bit.

Technically if true it allows a larger palette of colors to be chosen from, but not necessarily affects the amount of colors actually displayed.

i.e not many input sources are likely to utilize the difference.

I'm not sure what the floor prices are, but the $2600ish i just looked at online seems expensive compared to the Samsung A650.

A 46" version of that could be had with the free blu-ray or IQ2 setup for around the same price.

If the 42" 70yd LG's were $2K, and the 47" around $2600, I think it would a much tougher choice.

They are both nice looking TV's the LG in particular does look very thin...

Technically if true it allows a larger palette of colors to be chosen from, but not necessarily affects the amount of colors actually displayed.

i.e not many input sources are likely to utilize the difference.

I'm not sure what the floor prices are, but the $2600ish i just looked at online seems expensive compared to the Samsung A650.

A 46" version of that could be had with the free blu-ray or IQ2 setup for around the same price.

If the 42" 70yd LG's were $2K, and the 47" around $2600, I think it would a much tougher choice.

They are both nice looking TV's the LG in particular does look very thin...

Very big fan of the 70 series here.. Absolutely great looking panel.. I like the finish.. They crisp and clean.. 4ms.. 100hz.. Full HD.. At the moment you get a $100 Prepaid Visa Card via redemption, so it's not too bad! If you get a good price - You're basically gettin $100 back.. In essence anyway!

Very big fan of the 70 series here.. Absolutely great looking panel.. I like the finish.. They crisp and clean.. 4ms.. 100hz.. Full HD.. At the moment you get a $100 Prepaid Visa Card via redemption, so it's not too bad! If you get a good price - You're basically gettin $100 back.. In essence anyway!

I agree they are very nice, but $100 Visa card, vs A650 Samsung Bluray or IQ2....

With the 46" 100hz Samsung around the same price or cheaper than the 42" 100hz LG,

I think the LG's are very nice looking, but the specs on the Samsung are as good if not better now.

When you combine the BD Player, it looks like LG are a little off...

But i have not compare both side by side to see really which looks the best.

Is that only with finance or something though?

• 2 weeks later...

Dick Smith have the 47" 70YD for just under $2700 and are throwing in Tom Tom One XL and a Surge Protector.

Was very tempted to grab one but am keen to see cnet/user reviews first! Or would it be safe to go with the scarlet review as they share similar specs?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest whichtv
Hi guys,

I thought I'd start a topic on the new LG Scarlet LCD TVs to share settings and other info. I bought the 47" for $2,400 and it'll be delivered today.

and which would be better : 47lg70yd or samsung series 6?

Does anybody have the 47lg70yd or 42lg70yd?

Have got them both at work and can happily say it is definitely one of, if not THE nicest looking LCD I've seen in a while!

Rich Colour

Bright

Natural Motion

Great Blacks for an LCD

4ms

100hz

Full HD

3yr Warranty

Tempted to get the 52LG70YD...

• 2 months later...

Also got one which Im very happy with.

I know its not the best out there, but for the money, I was happy....

I got the 47LG65 - paid $2600 and got the free 26" by redemption so I see it at around $2000, for a 47" 1080p with 100hz.24fps. Stoked.

Anyone got any settings? Or point me to somewhere they exist?

• 1 month later...
Also got one which Im very happy with.

I know its not the best out there, but for the money, I was happy....

I got the 47LG65 - paid $2600 and got the free 26" by redemption so I see it at around $2000, for a 47" 1080p with 100hz.24fps. Stoked.

Anyone got any settings? Or point me to somewhere they exist?

I also got a 47" with the free 26" redemption, the 47LG70YD though and it cost me $2700 from Hardly Normal. Also awaiting settings :D

Can't wait to see how much better it is on my HTPC compared to the Sammy 46" LCD rear pro I have now...it's got to be better than 1366 x 768.

Cheers,

Paul.

I also got a 47" with the free 26" redemption, the 47LG70YD though and it cost me $2700 from Hardly Normal. Also awaiting settings :D

Can't wait to see how much better it is on my HTPC compared to the Sammy 46" LCD rear pro I have now...it's got to be better than 1366 x 768.

Cheers,

Paul.

There are some settings on this page which other posters have found to be useful. Please comment on your TV when it arrives as I am very interested in this model.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....8925&page=5

There are some settings on this page which other posters have found to be useful. Please comment on your TV when it arrives as I am very interested in this model.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....8925&page=5

Hi,

So far, I'm stoked with it once I turned off TruMotion ! That makes stuff look weird, no question. Running it on the HTPC, 1920 x 1080 without issue, HD broadcasts look good etc etc. For the price considering the redemption deal making it $2000-$2100, it's a hell of a lot of television. I only have 2 complaints so far, one I went into eyes open and one I'm sure I can solve in the service menus somewhere.

The first is no S-Video on the back, so I have just used the side one for the old PS2 and it doesn't look ugly because the side input isn't on the very edge. I was aware of this when I bought it, but it's a limitation in my book so I'm listing it as a minor quibble.

The second is that the TV isn't remembering my TruMotion and layout settings when I set them i.e it's turning low TruMotion back on and going back to 16:9 instead of Just Scan. At 16:9 I get overscan with the HTPC, plus TruMotion is rubbish IMO. I'll find a fix, and post it back here when I do. Might be on the avsforum link above, for which I thank you BTW :D

Cheers,

Paul.