Sign in to follow this  
Adman the Indefatigable

Latest Offering From Philips?

Excuse me while I go and get another red wine.

its on the wall and the picture is great im very happy and so is the missus in fact the pq looks better than the pana 800a both are still factory settings.

one problem and any help appreciated. The sound/volume rises and falls for no apparent reason when watching tv. Thought it was the auto volume leveling function - but when in settings, it won't let me access it.

if you update the software the sound option is avaliable.

Not much use to you aafus but I just bought the 42Pfl9703D for $1880 in Melbourne

small world i was offered that same 42" thursday mornin as they could not supply a sealed in box. did you get the full 3 yrar factory warranty?

Sikmrex: Re the software update. The only one I can see refers to the UK. Is this update you're referring to or is there another somewhere?

pop in a usb stick first and it does the rest, you will need to unzip back onto the stick, the instructions are lacking a little.

Edited by paulfx

paulfx;

Yes full warranty as per new unit. I'd seen it on Thursday morn and was told it was sold. HN across the road wanted $2400 for there on display model and Broady wanted $2250 for theirs. Just for anyone interested.

Yeah update was no issue but the version I used specifically mentions UK. Downloaded and all's well. Haven't really noticed any improvement.

Were you able to get one in a box from somewhere?

paulfx;

Yes full warranty as per new unit. I'd seen it on Thursday morn and was told it was sold. HN across the road wanted $2400 for there on display model and Broady wanted $2250 for theirs. Just for anyone interested.

Yeah update was no issue but the version I used specifically mentions UK. Downloaded and all's well. Haven't really noticed any improvement.

Were you able to get one in a box from somewhere?

i cancelled the 42" 9703 as could not supply new and found some new 47" 9703 in town melb hn.

i did notice will shopping around that the 7series 42" has a great pq compared to other brands in store, my observation.

its hard to find people not happy with the philips 7 & 9 series.

i love the flat panel finish no reflections in a bright north facing room compared to the pana gloss panel finish i got to close the blinds to stop the outside reflections.

Edited by paulfx

No issue with mine yet though I have a couple of little issues not related to the unit so much as with LCD screens in general. Light reflecting off tiled/wooden floors or other shinny surface cause strange reflections on the screen. I struck the same issue with a Sony KDL46X2000 I had the misfortune to buy before I bought the Pio LX. The other relates to the use of remote controls other than the Philips in the vicinity of LCD screens.

I have a Foxtel box in the bedroom where I previously had a 26" LCD screen(Toshiba) hooked up to it and working faultlessly. Now for some reason the Foxtel Box/remote no longer want to talk to each other properly. Worked poorly during day light but now won't work at all. Have IQ in lounge so tried that remote. Same thing and no remote controlling of bedroom Foxtel. Used both in lounge with the IQ without issue. Turned Philips off and remotes work perfectly. Had a similar issue once before with a Niles remote extender and it turned out to be something to do with the output from the LCD screen interfering with the infra red receiver and remote.

Just wondering if anyone else has struck the issue and knows a way of fixing it. I hate the thought of having to contact Foxtel and explain what's occurring!!!

No issue with mine yet though I have a couple of little issues not related to the unit so much as with LCD screens in general. Light reflecting off tiled/wooden floors or other shinny surface cause strange reflections on the screen. I struck the same issue with a Sony KDL46X2000 I had the misfortune to buy before I bought the Pio LX. The other relates to the use of remote controls other than the Philips in the vicinity of LCD screens.

I have a Foxtel box in the bedroom where I previously had a 26" LCD screen(Toshiba) hooked up to it and working faultlessly. Now for some reason the Foxtel Box/remote no longer want to talk to each other properly. Worked poorly during day light but now won't work at all. Have IQ in lounge so tried that remote. Same thing and no remote controlling of bedroom Foxtel. Used both in lounge with the IQ without issue. Turned Philips off and remotes work perfectly. Had a similar issue once before with a Niles remote extender and it turned out to be something to do with the output from the LCD screen interfering with the infra red receiver and remote.

Just wondering if anyone else has struck the issue and knows a way of fixing it. I hate the thought of having to contact Foxtel and explain what's occurring!!!

Got a similar problem with my Philips 47 PFL9703D/79 and my Oppo DV-983H not exactly getting along. Under certain conditions the Oppo seems to be slow or unresponsive to RC commands. I found if I turned off the dynamic back light on the Philips it seemed to help. At first I thought it was just my imagination but after some research I've found it's not uncommon to have conflicts between various combinations of AV equipment in regards to IR signals being disrupted. I read on one forum a while back that quite a few people in the UK were reporting problems with the latest Samsung LCD's interfering with the remote signal from SKY HD STB's. It seems the best solution is to invest in a universal remote that uses radio frequency signals as opposed to Infrared signals. I've been toying with the idea of splashing out and getting the Denon RC7000 that uses both IR & RF signals.

Hi Guys,

I am also considering buying 47" Phillips, however I am not sure how it will work with the connection to HT through the receiver. I got new Denon 3808 which will upscale to 1080p, but only via HDMI.

I intend to connect DVD & PVR to the receiver and then HDMI to TV. Did any of you use that type of connection and if so, how was the performance of TV.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Cheers Greg

Anyone spotted the AUREA 42pfl9900d in the wild?

i cant seem to find one anywhere near dandenong.....maybe i should head out towards chadstone?

Edited by wesleyrpg

Traitorsgate,

I have all manor of remotes including the NevoSL with Wifi extender but the thought of having to go thru all the setup, and there is quite a bit and it's flakey at best, just for a bedroom tele seems extreme. I'll give Philips/Foxtel a call tomorrow and see if there's a work around. I'd really thought all these types of LCD issues had been sorted out but judging by your reply they're not. I know that Niles have solved the issue now with their range of extenders, but they're not cheap and still require control boxes and power supplies. Weird thing is that even if you place the remote directly against the remote sensor of the Foxtel box it still wont work when the Philips is operating. Hopefully it's as simple as a dodgy Foxtel box but I doubt it.

Edited by Little Bobby

*NOTE TO ANY AND ALL INTERESTED IN PHILIPS*

Get in while you can, philips announced a month or so ago that they will no longer be selling TV/AV gear in Oz/NZ due to a lack of profit from australia's spiralling costs of panels.

The stock left in Myer/HN/GG etc will be it. no more will be arriving into the country for the forseeable future.

Its a real shame, whenever i test a philips against any other lcd, it puts it to shame. i can believe Sony can let there panels be beaten so severley by such a small company! Alas, we will even miss the chance of getting the full range of panels with lcd backlighting (sony will only have them in 46" and up).

R.I.P Philips, you will be missed!!!

*NOTE TO ANY AND ALL INTERESTED IN PHILIPS*

Get in while you can, philips announced a month or so ago that they will no longer be selling TV/AV gear in Oz/NZ due to a lack of profit from australia's spiralling costs of panels.

The stock left in Myer/HN/GG etc will be it. no more will be arriving into the country for the forseeable future.

Its a real shame, whenever i test a philips against any other lcd, it puts it to shame. i can believe Sony can let there panels be beaten so severley by such a small company! Alas, we will even miss the chance of getting the full range of panels with lcd backlighting (sony will only have them in 46" and up).

R.I.P Philips, you will be missed!!!

Bought myself a 47PFL9703 :) delivery on saturday

Anyone else feel a bit peeved off that the AU 9703 doesn't have Ambilight yet the US and UK versions do?

I really miss that feature on the 9703.

Anyone else feel a bit peeved off that the AU 9703 doesn't have Ambilight yet the US and UK versions do?

Hi have you updated to the new firmware Version: 000.083.000.000 if so any pq improvements? Thanks ........

Hi have you updated to the new firmware Version: 000.083.000.000 if so any pq improvements? Thanks ........

I don't think you understand. Ambilight is literarly that, light that is emited from the sides and top of the TV to produce a halo effect which makes viewing a pleasurable experience without straining your eyes. The light also changes colour to match the prominent background colour on the image.

AU versions of the 9703 don't even have the hardware installed in them so performing a firmware upgrade will not make the feature available.

PQ on the 9703, regardless of firmware, is superb. I have family members who doubted the quality of Philips until they did their own testing and came to the same conclusion "Philips is light years ahead of the rest".

I don't think you understand. Ambilight is literarly that, light that is emited from the sides and top of the TV to produce a halo effect which makes viewing a pleasurable experience without straining your eyes. The light also changes colour to match the prominent background colour on the image.

AU versions of the 9703 don't even have the hardware installed in them so performing a firmware upgrade will not make the feature available.

PQ on the 9703, regardless of firmware, is superb. I have family members who doubted the quality of Philips until they did their own testing and came to the same conclusion "Philips is light years ahead of the rest".

Saw a 47 " Philips screen that had ambilight, a few months back when I was researching and purchasing the 42" 9703.

I don't recall the model number, but I thought that the surround light was obtrusive.

Grampus I agree.

I've seen the Ambilight in use and I thought it was a gimmick, unnecessary and just something else to potentially go wrong. This is a great display that doesn't need gimmicks to improve what is already a brilliant picture. If eyestrain is an issue put a lamp, with a low watt globe, on near the screen. It'll achieve the same result. Let the pomms and yanks have the ambilight models. I'm more than happy with mine not having it. KISS is my philosophy where all things electronic are concerned.

Just picked up the 47"....WOW WOW WOW....have put off buying one forever but panicked when I heard they where pulling out of OZ and had to buy one. Have had a Philips 36" CRT with Pixel Plus and Digital Natural Motion for the past 6 years and any tv without these features just doesn't cut it. Hooked the new LCD up on the weekend and WOW WOW WOW....If you can get your hands on one before they run out DO IT. I've not seen a better LCD picture anywhere.

bought myself a philips aurea 42pfl9900d for $2,650 from harvey norman on the weekend......amazing picture!

As far as I know, it wasn't a feature that Australians were taking to (unlike in Europe) so Philipsgot rid of it to make models more price competitive.

bought myself a philips aurea 42pfl9900d for $2,650 from harvey norman on the weekend......amazing picture!

i hope it doesn't stuff up.

what will you do re warranty if anything happens now that Phillips are leaving Australia?

i hope it doesn't stuff up.

what will you do re warranty if anything happens now that Phillips are leaving Australia?

Philips australia must cover the warrenty by law, and parts must be accessable as well

Funny to see this thread still knocking around.

I was overseas for 3 months and planned to get the 42 on my return. Imagine how gutted I was to find out about Philips bailing. I had been waiting for these to be released since February and now they're gone, (muted sobbing... reaching for a tissue). I even had my missus on side.

To those lucky few who got 'em, enjoy. There really isn't anything inspirational out there as far as lcd's go IMHO at the moment and I haven't seen anything on the immediate horizon. I continue to underwhelmed by Sony and Samsung despite the marketing barrage. Maybe if I ask nicely they'll come back

I guess the wait continues. Come on guys, someone INSPIRE ME AGAIN!!!

i was also away for almost 6 months, sold all my stuff including my sony x3100. sadly due to the crisis in north america i'm back again and in the market for new telly. i had philips before and had nothing but trouble that's why i ended up with the sony. IMO philips still has the best picture quality but too much bugs in the system that's why they keep releasing firmware update. 7403 is still available from harvey norman for $2300 or less for cash. any thoughts?

i was also away for almost 6 months, sold all my stuff including my sony x3100. sadly due to the crisis in north america i'm back again and in the market for new telly. i had philips before and had nothing but trouble that's why i ended up with the sony. IMO philips still has the best picture quality but too much bugs in the system that's why they keep releasing firmware update. 7403 is still available from harvey norman for $2300 or less for cash. any thoughts?

I bought my 42" 7403 for about $2600 some time ago,

Couldn't be happier with PQ.