Sign in to follow this  
Adman the Indefatigable

Latest Offering From Philips?

Don't forget to visit their website, and keep checking their downloads.

S/W upgrade is a breeze.

Edited by Grampus

Would you mind telling which HN?

Sure. I decided to buy so I went to HN Gordon on the weekend. They offered me $3150 delivered but when I decided to buy (after the Grant Hackett race watched on the 9703!) he said couldn't guarantee a delivery for at least a month. I slipped down to HN Chatswood where I had been originally offered the $3150. Different sales guy said price couldn't possibly be right, was below cost for them. I assured him I had been offered price at HN Gordon and previously at HN Chatswood. He calls them, couldn't get hold of anyone, but the salesman I had spoken to a few days before wanders over with another guy, punches a few buttons on the computer and says yep, give it to him. I ended up picking up on the day so didn't pay the $50 delivery. I assume there is some sort of rebate arrangement which makes the price palatable. FYI, both stores let me walk away at $3k and I think this was the last one i stock at Chatswood. Hope this helps

Sure. I decided to buy so I went to HN Gordon on the weekend. They offered me $3150 delivered but when I decided to buy (after the Grant Hackett race watched on the 9703!) he said couldn't guarantee a delivery for at least a month. I slipped down to HN Chatswood where I had been originally offered the $3150. Different sales guy said price couldn't possibly be right, was below cost for them. I assured him I had been offered price at HN Gordon and previously at HN Chatswood. He calls them, couldn't get hold of anyone, but the salesman I had spoken to a few days before wanders over with another guy, punches a few buttons on the computer and says yep, give it to him. I ended up picking up on the day so didn't pay the $50 delivery.

markm1111

It would be a great help to me if you could scan a copy of the receipt and send it to me. I will give my email address if this is simpler than messaging. My problem is that there is very little competition in my rural area and the best quote I have is $3450.

Thanks

fred2

Hiya all, since purchasing my 9703 and being so happy, I've kind of gone quiet on this website because I simply don;t really need to use it as a mean of info any longer basically. I've jumped on and noticed talks on s/w upgrades for recent model TV's. Would a TV as new as a month require urgent upgrades so soon? If so, what are these patches fixing in particular. Reason I'm asking is in my expereince with upgrades and s/w fixes, is that sometimes they actually make items worse off than better. This is a very huge generalisation I know, I'm sure they've produced them to fix certain bugs but unless its a particular fix thats going to benefit my viewing experience, I don;t see much point. Whats your thoughts?

Any Idea when the 52" Phillips will be available here ?

Just another update regarding price. I picked up the 47 PFL9703D at Harvey Norman Canberra for $3290 including delivery. Considering it's still such a brand new model with limited availability I'm reasonably happy with that price. Now for a nervous 24hrs while I await the delivery truck, hopefully it doesn't crash.

Hiya all, since purchasing my 9703 and being so happy, I've kind of gone quiet on this website because I simply don;t really need to use it as a mean of info any longer basically. I've jumped on and noticed talks on s/w upgrades for recent model TV's. Would a TV as new as a month require urgent upgrades so soon? If so, what are these patches fixing in particular. Reason I'm asking is in my expereince with upgrades and s/w fixes, is that sometimes they actually make items worse off than better. This is a very huge generalisation I know, I'm sure they've produced them to fix certain bugs but unless its a particular fix thats going to benefit my viewing experience, I don;t see much point. Whats your thoughts?

Generally, I am a user who will always keep up to date with s/w upgrades.

Now with these TV's having network capability, it will probably be worth while I think to keep up.

The web site will give you a release bulletin that tells you what has been fixed/improved.

I bought mine last week and checked the philips website for the latest software and there had been many updates since my tv was made. In particular the EPG was not activated but the upgrade did this. There are instructions where you get the latest software on how to do it. Just register your TV on the philips web site and then you can check the updates. Very very easy!

Any Idea when the 52" Phillips will be available here ?

I am looking at buying this model so I called philips. They said November.

I cant wait.

I am looking at buying this model so I called philips. They said November.

I cant wait.

Hi Guys!

I am looking at getting the 32" version of this TV as I live in a small apartment. The TV will be used as a computer monitor as well. Does anyone know where you can buy this size in Australia? All the HN i have been have the standard def versions only..they say only the Euros can get the 1080p 32"??

Cheers

First Thoughts on the 47 PFL9703D

Having had it now for a couple of days I thought I'd share my initial opinion of this unit. First an admission, this is my first LCD as up an until two days ago I was unable/unwilling to let go of my trusty old Loewe Aconda CRT. It's only with the latest generation of flat panel LCD's & Plasmas that I've felt confident enough to make the leap from good old CRT.

Setting up was a breeze, and dare I say it, idiot proof. I always manage a wry smile when people complain about setting up LCD's & Plasmas. Until you've dealt with an old school Loewe menu system believe me, you don't know convoluted & incomprehensible. My only real complaint about the Philips GUI is when your using a test pattern to adjust the picture the GUI obscures the image, I'd prefer the menus to be tucked up in a corner and the ability to either make them opaque and or smaller. No dramas with the rear connections although I'd have preferred them all to be down near the base as opposed to being so high up on the unit. Obviously the layout of the circuit boards dictate the external connections location, I'm sure Philips had a good enough reason for placing them so high up on the units back.

I wont comment on the Philips audio quality as it is being used merely as a display in a 5.1 set up and so making it a moot point. I will say that I'm surprised more manufacturers haven't followed the lead of the Loewe Compose by producing televisions that don't have any speakers and thus need to be hooked up to a home theatre set up. This allows you to have an extremely attractive design that is ideal for wall mounting that look more like a framed painting as opposed to a television hanging off the wall.

Picture quality as you probably have guessed is jaw droppingly good. Broadcast material both SD & HD is sharp, detailed and remarkably free of noise. Been watching the Olympics and you are easily able to discern the difference in the type of cameras being used by the broadcasters as the director swaps between different shots. Perhaps one of the biggest selling points of the Philips has been its ability to handle fast motion. From what I've experienced thus far I'd give it a 9/10, let me explain. Watching various Olympic events the Philips hasn't missed a beat, tracking and panning shots have been rendered smoothly and without a hint of tearing or blurring. The same goes for DVD with an Oppo DV-983H connected via HDMI. The level of detail in the opening space battle scene in Star Wars Ep III ROTS is bordering on what you would expect from Blu-Ray. All the time without a hint of motion judder.

So far the only time I've been able to trip the Philips up in it's handling of fast motion is with one particular torture test that I have - Matchstick Production's Seven Sunny Days. This is a Ski flick that has a stunning base jumping sequence in it. The sequence in question has base jumpers proximity flying along cliff faces in Norway. One particular shot shows a guy wearing a bright yellow wing suit tracking along a massive Fjord. Not only is the camera tracking the jumper falling vertically at approx 200 kph the base jumper is also tracking horizontally across the cliff face at a similar speed. The Philips had a problem rendering the yellow suited jumper as he changed direction to follow the contours of the cliff face, you could see a certain amount of clipping around the jumper. Amazingly though the Philips was still able to produce a stunning amount of detail in the cliff face without so much as a hint of blurring or judder. I've used the same sequence on my brother's Sony Bravia XBR and the Sony simply couldn't reproduce the scene at all without having the entire image start to tear. My friend has a Pioneer Kuro and while it handled the motion effectively the level of detail wasn't a match for the Philips. It has to be said that this scene represents what you would probably consider the worst case scenario for LCD & Plasma and is not really representative of what you will likely come across 99% of the time. The stark difference between the Sony which BTW is a stunningly good LCD and the Philips is I think is representative of how far LCD has come in the last 12 months. So yes I think on balance Philip's claim to being able to handle fast motion as well or better than any other flat panel currently available is not just a hollow claim, I don't think at the moment the Philips can be beaten in this department.

My only complaint thus far is that the Philips causes a certain amount of IR interference with the Oppo's RC, making the DVD slow/unresponsive when accepting commands. Done some research to find that this sort of IR interference is not uncommon, it's been reported that numerous combinations of LCD/DVD/STB can have this problem. Probably time to look into an RF universal remote.

So while it is still early days I have to say that I'm stunningly pleased with the Philips, and now to bite the bullet and get that first Blu-Ray player. B)

Hello Traitorsgate

That was an excellent post re your new purchase. Just one question. How much better in terms of your viewing enjoyment is it over your "trusty old Loewe Aconda CRT"?

Is it a quantum leap?

First Thoughts on the 47 PFL9703D

My friend has a Pioneer Kuro and while it handled the motion effectively the level of detail wasn't a match for the Philips.

How did the Phillips compare generally with the Koru, and was it an LX?

Edited by fred2

Hello Traitorsgate

That was an excellent post re your new purchase. Just one question. How much better in terms of your viewing enjoyment is it over your "trusty old Loewe Aconda CRT"?

Is it a quantum leap?

OK, where do I start. Firstly I think the Aconda represented the zenith of the CRT TV era both in design and image quality, but that was then, this is now. I've long held the belief that Full HD screens only make sense on screens larger than 40". Once you get into that screen size then the extra detail really does become apparent. With the Aconda I used a Humax HD-7000 STB in place of the Aconda's onboard analogue tuner. With this set up I was able to get a remarkably detailed image, the HD-7000 scaled the incoming 1080i image down to 576i to be viewed on the Aconda. With similar sized LCD screens the Aconda was more than a match in terms of colour fidelity and image detail. However as the image on the Aconda was interlaced you would encounter issues with aliasing and shimmer that you don't see with an LCD outputting a progressive image. Simply put when you watch the HD demo loops that broadcast channels use, the image on the Philips is not only far more detailed it is also way more stable being completely devoid of aliasing and shimmer. The Aconda can I believe compete with LCD screens in the 32-37 inch class, but can't match the Full HD screens that are 40" or larger.

The single biggest difference between the Aconda and the Philips is in dealing with DVD's. I'm currently using an Oppo DV-983H. With the Aconda the Oppo was connected using an Ixos component to SCART lead at 576i. With the Philips I'm using the Oppo supplied HDMI lead at 1080p. It's worth noting that when the Oppo is using component then the Anchor Bay chipset is not in use, once you step up to HDMI then the Anchor Bay Chip comes into play. Michael Mann's film Miami Vice was shot entirely on HD Video as opposed to more traditional 35mm film. As a result the finished product has a decidedly stylised video look about it. When the film was released on HD DVD many reviewers bemoaned the fact that it looked as if they were watching an episode of 'Cops', which was the intended effect (love it or hate it). The advantage of HD Video when shooting scenes at night is you get this incredible depth of field while not having to artificially light the set. With the Aconda Miami Vice looked a little flat and grainy. The Philips on the other hand was able to show up the benefits of shooting on HD Video with the image having an almost surreal 3D look about it. The grain was still very apparent, but heavy grain is a by-product of shooting on HD Video. In fairness because the Oppo is not really doing much proccesing of the image over component compared to HDMI the Aconda was not getting a signal that had benefitted from a lot of advanced video processing. All that in mind you simply can't get away from the fact that the combo of the Philips and the Oppo produce an image from SD DVD that I simply didn't think was possible.

In short, and to be perfectly blunt, while the Loewe Aconda was/is able to produce brilliant pictures, the Philips simply blows it out of the water in every regard.

How did the Phillips compare generally with the Koru, and was it an LX?

Straight off the bat I think it's safe to assume that your dealing with the two best TV's in their respective class. From what I've seen of the two the Pio definitely beats the Phili in terms of off-axis viewing. It's something that has been mentioned already in this thread and elsewhere that the Phili has a screen coating finish that isn't conducive to very wide angle off-axis viewing. In my home due to space or lack of, this isn't an issue. The other obvious comparison is black levels, again as good as LCD has become while you have some form of back lighting then Plasma and CRT for that matter will always win out. However the Phili produces deep blacks not greys. I had Blade Runner on last night in a darkened room and the Phili was pulling details out that I've never seen before. As Blade Runner was shot in Cinemascope you still have the black bars, they were black not a dark grey, without so much as a hint of back light bleeding or clouding visible. Short of setting the two screens up side by side any comparison is always going to be subjective. I have already seen that the Phili seems to be able to render an image that is so packed with fine detail that it can almost appear surreal. I suspect a lot of that is just me coming to terms with actually being able to see the benefits of a Full HD screen, something that is not so apparent on smaller screens.

Oh BTW my friend got his Pio last year so I'm assuming it's not the LX as that wasn't available then, if I'm not mistaken. Off the top of my head I don't know exactly what model it is, save for the fact that as it's one of those dirty great big 50 inch plus numbers, so it's a Full HD screen. Great TV, if you have the space, and the cash.

Oh BTW my friend got his Pio last year so I'm assuming it's not the LX as that wasn't available then, if I'm not mistaken. Off the top of my head I don't know exactly what model it is, save for the fact that as it's one of those dirty great big 50 inch plus numbers, so it's a Full HD screen. Great TV, if you have the space, and the cash.

Thanks for the detailed reply. The comparison is of more than academic interest now, as the LX508 is supposed to be dropping to sub $3700 at the end of next month.

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...&start=1240

Edited by fred2

Goodonya Traitorsgate for the very detailed replies and the time taken to post them!

Hi Traitorsgate,

Thanks for your review.

I suppose the $64,000 question is the following,

If price was no issue would you choose the current Kuro or your Philips?

I am in the process of trying to decide between the two and I really love

the blacks my crt puts out so I am leaning towards the Kuro, but I love

that picture on the Philips.

Thanks

Damien

Hi Traitorsgate,

Thanks for your review.

I suppose the $64,000 question is the following,

If price was no issue would you choose the current Kuro or your Philips?

I am in the process of trying to decide between the two and I really love

the blacks my crt puts out so I am leaning towards the Kuro, but I love

that picture on the Philips.

Thanks

Damien

I guess my initial reaction would be if money wasn't the deciding factor and I had a living room big enough (which I don't) then I would settle on either the 50" Kuro or go for broke with the 60". Having said that if I was genuinely in the market for screen 50" or larger then I'd be very interested to see how the upcoming Philips 52 PFL9703D stacks up. It's meant to come with a 55,000:1 contrast ratio screen which may well improve perceived black levels even further. I'd want to see this model from Philips perform before handing over the sort of money TV's in this size bracket command. Getting back to the sub 50" market though, I believe I made the correct choice with the 47 PFL9703D. If there's an LCD or Plasma out there with the same screen size that's capable of producing a discernibly better image, then I haven't seen it. Frankly at this end of the market, the argument over perceived black levels is no longer the issue it was a mere 12-18 months ago. All the top shelf LCD's are now using dynamic back lighting that's eliminated most of the problems with black levels. So unless you intend on spending all your time watching movies that are set in caves or the bottom of the ocean then black levels aren't the deciding factor. I believe the deciding factor between the Phili and the Pio is choosing between the Pio's better off-axis viewing against the Phili's more detailed image.

Hello!

I m going to buy the 47PFL9703D in a few weeks time. Was in HN today and the guy quoted me $3250 straight up, like it's been said on this thread, he informed me they do have it but just not on display.

My only slight annoyance is that it only has one component input, which is either for my Wii or DVD player. I think I'll plug the Wii into it and just get a new DVD player with HDMI input.

I m just curious, from all the you guys that have this model, any annoying problems? At all?

I've had my 47PFL9703D for almost 2 months now and have no annoying problems whatsoever. I'm a huge fan of this telly and not because I forked out the money for it. Like I've said before, if I found any problems with it after purchase I wouldve been back on here letting out my frustration but in actual fact, I've actually gone quiet from this topic because I'm totally pleased, blown away and enjoying every minute of my viewing experience from it. Even the adds are worth watching these days, sadly enough. If anything I am saving up and lookign forward to adding my first BluRay player to the collection which I'm looking forward to experiencing the full benefits of 1080P. If anyone is interested in buying this unit, you wont be disapointed. In terms of looks with its plastic wave border, I actually find it impressive and attractive, not an eye sore. In terms of picture, you will be blown away when setup properly. I'm not an expert on the technology and all of the Tv's capabolities but for what I use it for, FTA, DVD, SD Foxtel, I'm impressed by its stunning pictures and watching the Olympics and Footy is jaw dropping at how crisp the picture is. :)

Ambilight Available?!

I have just purchased the 42PFL9703D/79 and am currently awaiting delivery. I just noticed that the latest HN catalogue (pg3 fathers day issue) nominates the 47" model as having Ambilight 3. Since a lot of the earlier reviews on the web are from UK websites this model is known as the 42PFL9703D/10 and this INCLUDES ambilight 3. When I previously enquired from Philips if the Ambilight version would be available in Australia the answer was only on the Aurea (see below);

"Dear xxxx,

There is only going to be one model that will be released in Australia with Ambilight.

It will be the replacement for current the Aurea (42PFL9900D/79).

If you are looking at the 42PFL9703D/79, it will the top of the line model in the 42" range." This response was emailed to me 18.07.08.

I gave HN chatswood a call today and they are of the belief that the October release of the new Cineos (as in the catalogue mentioned above) will have Ambilight. I'm not sure whether to believe this (or philips consumer care) or not but given its advertised with the same RRP, ~$3800, as the version without this seems a little odd.

I haven't seen the ambilight in action too much myself and it seems to get mixed reviews from users. From my POV its too late to change mine now and since I have never had ambilight I guess I wont miss it but I'd suggest to those looking to put this down as one of the questions to confirm when buying.

As you can see I'm not a longtime forum writer but have got enjoyed the feedback within this thread and in particular from gazman1973 and traitorsgate. I'm still a couple of weeks away from delivery but will post my thoughts once i've put it through its paces.

Cheers.

link for HN

http://catalogues.harveynorman.com.au/port...&gotopage=1

Hello!

I m going to buy the 47PFL9703D in a few weeks time. Was in HN today and the guy quoted me $3250 straight up, like it's been said on this thread, he informed me they do have it but just not on display.

My only slight annoyance is that it only has one component input, which is either for my Wii or DVD player. I think I'll plug the Wii into it and just get a new DVD player with HDMI input.

I m just curious, from all the you guys that have this model, any annoying problems? At all?

the scart connector can be used for ur dvd player just buy a scart to compent cable

Unfortunately the two Scart connections haven't been configured to accept a Component signal, they will however handle an RGB signal.