Sign in to follow this  
Adman the Indefatigable

Latest Offering From Philips?

As I understand it, the tuner on the H model (available in Europe) is able to receive TNT-HD format broadcast which includes mpeg-4 material....

So far as I know the only TV's that are coming into Australia with MPEG-4 HD tuners able to receive full 1080P boadcast material are the new models from Loewe & Metz. Not that where likely to see 1080P broadcasts in Australia anytime soon. <_<

Do these things have a HD tuner.

Yes

Well done Grampus. Your HN price for the 42pfl7903 is about right ($2700 from Preston 3 weeks ago + $48 delivery) for a set with a RRP of $3299.

LAN connection is really great with only limitation being the formats accepted by the Philips (mpeg1 or 2, mp3 and jpeg) but then the Beyonwiz can be used for other file (particularly movie) types.

Big advantage of Philips LAN is for jpegs which are instantaneous (compared to the Beyonwiz with its interminable hour glass between slides) so that slideshows are great - can even play music in background through LAN while watching slide show, all set up & run from the couch using the Philips remote.

I have mine connected to a network of Macs through a Linksys router - the suggested media server software (Twonky Media) was quickly dropped in favour of EyeConnect from Elgato. No need for AppleTV or separate media server box at the TV.

Another standout is the quality of free to air broadcasts, even on non-HD digital channels - best I've ever seen - and it is used as a TV set first & foremost.

Upscaling of ordinary dvd's from a Philips 3980 DVD player ($83!) is also excellent. DVD player is HDMI & DivX compatible.

Did you find the "extended user manual" online?

I have a need for it to be able to set up my Vista Media Player it seems.

Doesn't quite happen as if by magic.

I would have hoped that it would have ustilised shared folders, but apparently not it seems you have to have Media Player running.

Did you find the "extended user manual" online?

I have a need for it to be able to set up my Vista Media Player it seems.

Doesn't quite happen as if by magic.

I would have hoped that it would have ustilised shared folders, but apparently not it seems you have to have Media Player running.

Grampus

You can access a pdf version of the TV manual on the Philips Australia site (www.philips.com.au/support) and it does it have a bit more info than the supplied manual, particularly as it relates to Windows Media Player on Vista or XP.

I need to leave eyeConnect (the Mac media server) running in the background on one of the Macs. Through the media server settings I have restricted the TV's access to the specific folders (on a network hard drive) which contain my master copies of movies, music and photos. This limits the number of folders viewable by the TV from the media server to only those needed.

For info, there is a recent review by the Gadget Guy (http://www.gadgetguy.com.au/philips-cineos-42pfl9703-review-152526-101.html) which gives the Philips good marks.

roninrr

With regards to that Gadget Guy review, it states that the 42PFL9703 doesn't support 1080p24fps signals, what gives? I was under the impression from what I'd already read elsewhere that it does.

Grampus

You can access a pdf version of the TV manual on the Philips Australia site (www.philips.com.au/support) and it does it have a bit more info than the supplied manual, particularly as it relates to Windows Media Player on Vista or XP.

For info, there is a recent review by the Gadget Guy (http://www.gadgetguy.com.au/philips-cineos-42pfl9703-review-152526-101.html) which gives the Philips good marks.

roninrr

Thanks, I didn't look deeply enough, (as usual)

I was looking for a section 7.7 as was mentioned in the paper version, so as there wasn't a 7.7 in the index from the on-line version, I didn't pursue it. Silly me.

Ahh that's one problem out of the road.

So far as I know the only TV's that are coming into Australia with MPEG-4 HD tuners able to receive full 1080P boadcast material are the new models from Loewe & Metz. Not that where likely to see 1080P broadcasts in Australia anytime soon. <_<

make that ever. In fact what a waste of money. And do Loewe even MAKE TV's anymore? Last I saw they rebadge crap.

With regards to that Gadget Guy review, it states that the 42PFL9703 doesn't support 1080p24fps signals, what gives? I was under the impression from what I'd already read elsewhere that it does.

I called Philips and they state that it does.

they also say there current 9632 range does aswell, not true

Domayne advertised the 47" model for $3088 on Ch 9 this morning. Final sale price should be around $2700 post-haggling.

QUOTE (Traitorsgate @ Aug 12 2008, 11:28 AM) *

From the manual

Video formats

Resolution Refresh rate

480i 60Hz

480p 60Hz

576i 50Hz

576p 50Hz

720p 50Hz, 60Hz

1080i 50Hz, 60Hz

1080p 24Hz, 25Hz, 30Hz

1080p 50Hz, 60Hz

Just a note on that review, It has been amended, with that 'Con' removed. The reviewer states that "What I thought was happening was that without Digital Natural Motion, the TV seemed to be converting the 24 frames per second video from the Blu-ray player to 60 frames per second. But I was using a poor demo clip it later turned out."

So Philips are right on this.

Ahh well that's a relief to have had clarified, now I can concentrate on the important issue of deciding between the 42' or bite the bullet and get the 47' which is probably a shade large for my place.

Just got the GadgetGuy newsletter today - they're running a comp soon with the new Cineos and SoundBar as the prize(s)

Edited by kscope

Domayne advertised the 47" model for $3088 on Ch 9 this morning. Final sale price should be around $2700 post-haggling.

Philips has two new models out that look similar, the 42 and 47PFL7403D, and 42 and 47PFL9703D. Domayne is advertising the 7403, which has 3ms refesh vs a 2ms on the 9703. Also a few other differences between the two, which explains their roughly $500 rrp differential. Just make sure you are comparing apples with apples.

btw, I was offered a 47" 9703 at HN today for $3150 delivered - things are getting tough in retail land. Didn't buy as the budget says next month

Ahh well that's a relief to have had clarified, now I can concentrate on the important issue of deciding between the 42' or bite the bullet and get the 47' which is probably a shade large for my place.

I view my 42"about 4 mtres away.I'm comfortable with the size

I don't have a size envy. (just as well)

But reckon if I had a 47" then the strength of the pure whites would just about lift me outta the chair.

Howdy Peeps,

I'll vouch for that comment Grampus. I've had my 47" 9703 for just on a month now and still get blown away by the PQ and am so happy with it. PQ, clarity, colours, ease to use, and aesthetics are all beyond my expectations knowing I was having a frustrating time trying to choose for months. I'm really impressed with your price MarkM. $3150 for the 47" is a top buy and I wouldn't let that go by. Considering they came out weeks ago at $3,800 and to pick it up not long after for that price is fantastic. Just a quick question regarding the reception of 2 certain channels. I actually have my antenna plugged directly into my Homecast PVR then via a quality HDMI cable to Tv. I have excellent reception for channels 7HD, 9HD and 10HD but ABCHD and SBSHD I have problems where it displays a blank screen but sound comes through, then after flicking channels and flicking to digital abc and sbs all is fine then I click back to HD sbs and abc and then the picture shows again but not instantly. I havent attempted to plug the antenna directly into the Tv using its internal tuner yet but I was just wondering whether anyone else has a similar setup or problem. Once I finally see the picture on SBSHD and ABCHD all is fine and the picture is fantastic, its just that it only shows intermittanly. Not that I watch SBS or ABC that often to even care, haha but I'm finding the SBS Olympic coverage so much better structured than the 7 coverage. I'm so sick of them flicking to events for 5 seconds only to have them change back to another again. Its frustrating the hell out of me! Cheers!

Philips has two new models out that look similar, the 42 and 47PFL7403D, and 42 and 47PFL9703D. Domayne is advertising the 7403, which has 3ms refesh vs a 2ms on the 9703. Also a few other differences between the two, which explains their roughly $500 rrp differential. Just make sure you are comparing apples with apples.

btw, I was offered a 47" 9703 at HN today for $3150 delivered - things are getting tough in retail land. Didn't buy as the budget says next month

Would you mind telling which HN?

Edited by fred2

Howdy Peeps,

I'll vouch for that comment Grampus. I've had my 47" 9703 for just on a month now and still get blown away by the PQ and am so happy with it. PQ, clarity, colours, ease to use, and aesthetics are all beyond my expectations knowing I was having a frustrating time trying to choose for months. I'm really impressed with your price MarkM. $3150 for the 47" is a top buy and I wouldn't let that go by. Considering they came out weeks ago at $3,800 and to pick it up not long after for that price is fantastic. Just a quick question regarding the reception of 2 certain channels. I actually have my antenna plugged directly into my Homecast PVR then via a quality HDMI cable to Tv. I have excellent reception for channels 7HD, 9HD and 10HD but ABCHD and SBSHD I have problems where it displays a blank screen but sound comes through, then after flicking channels and flicking to digital abc and sbs all is fine then I click back to HD sbs and abc and then the picture shows again but not instantly. I havent attempted to plug the antenna directly into the Tv using its internal tuner yet but I was just wondering whether anyone else has a similar setup or problem. Once I finally see the picture on SBSHD and ABCHD all is fine and the picture is fantastic, its just that it only shows intermittanly. Not that I watch SBS or ABC that often to even care, haha but I'm finding the SBS Olympic coverage so much better structured than the 7 coverage. I'm so sick of them flicking to events for 5 seconds only to have them change back to another again. Its frustrating the hell out of me! Cheers!

Gazman

In the setup you describe you must be relying on the PVR tuner(s) which is surprising given the strength of the Philips tuner to show both HD and SD channels with real clarity.

Does your pvr have an aerial out connection, in which case you just need to connect it to the aerial in connection on the TV.

I have a Beyonwiz dp-p1, and as good as it is, the Philips tuner is even better.

roninrr

I view my 42"about 4 mtres away.I'm comfortable with the size

I've got a viewing distance of only 2.8-3.0 mtres. My current 32" screen is looking a little small so the 42" looks like a relatively safe bet. Gazman1973 has said that he got the 47" at a price that was well within my current budget. Having looked at both the units in store I can't accurately tell if the 47" is too big for my rather limited viewing distance. Don't think the sales staff would appreciate me rearranging their floor stock so I can get a better impression. I have this nagging concern that if I get the 47" once I have it delivered it may be just too big for my rather cramped apartment.

I actually have my antenna plugged directly into my Homecast PVR then via a quality HDMI cable to Tv. I have excellent reception for channels 7HD, 9HD and 10HD but ABCHD and SBSHD I have problems where it displays a blank screen but sound comes through, then after flicking channels and flicking to digital abc and sbs all is fine then I click back to HD sbs and abc and then the picture shows again but not instantly. I havent attempted to plug the antenna directly into the Tv using its internal tuner yet but I was just wondering whether anyone else has a similar setup or problem.

I am assuming that you are watching the vision via the PVR HDMI out.

Interestingly mine is via the BeyonSWiz PVR HDMI to the TV. And I have my Antenna going to the PVR 1st, and out to the TV.

I have one channel that is abysmal when I am viewing it from the PVR

But when I view it via the TV's onboard tune, it is watchable.

I believe my problem here is the PVR front end is not all its cracked up to be.

What might be interesting in your scenario would be to try and gauge the difference between going via the PVR and going direct to the TV by using the TV's Digital reception test.

Might give you a bit of food for thought.

I've got a viewing distance of only 2.8-3.0 mtres. My current 32" screen is looking a little small so the 42" looks like a relatively safe bet. Gazman1973 has said that he got the 47" at a price that was well within my current budget. Having looked at both the units in store I can't accurately tell if the 47" is too big for my rather limited viewing distance. Don't think the sales staff would appreciate me rearranging their floor stock so I can get a better impression. I have this nagging concern that if I get the 47" once I have it delivered it may be just too big for my rather cramped apartment.

Like most things, you'll probably get used to it.

Every time I go from one product to another, I complain about various items that are done/look different, then after a month or so it all goes away, and life is good.

Would you mind telling which HN?

Ditto!

Anywhere in SE Melbourne I could try and get matched with that? Next weekend will be looking at the 47PFL9703D, as well as getting a smaller LCD TV (up to 26" maybe 37") and a laptop in the one hit too, so the wife can put her haggling gloves on! (I tend to fall in a heap whenever a salesperson comes over...!) :o

Cheers fellas

Ditto!

Anywhere in SE Melbourne I could try and get matched with that? Next weekend will be looking at the 47PFL9703D, as well as getting a smaller LCD TV (up to 26" maybe 37") and a laptop in the one hit too, so the wife can put her haggling gloves on! (I tend to fall in a heap whenever a salesperson comes over...!) :o

Cheers fellas

When I bought my 42", I bought it from Wonthaggi. But they had to get it from the Knox store.

Howdy guys

I purchased the 47inch today and I am wrapped.

I fronted at my local HN at 15mins to closing time and said to the sales guy how much and after some pencil tapping he said $3500.

I told him that I know someone who got theirs from a HN for $3150 (as in previous post) to which he said that this person must have known the sales person and that he couldn't do that.

It is amazing when you tell them that if he were give it to me for $3200 now I will take it off their hands.....to which he said yes!

Must have been that he wanted to go home but I can't be happier!!