Do these things have a HD tuner. It is hard to find this out from the promotional material. I understand that in Europe the D on the end of the model number stands for "digital" tuner and a H stands for "High Definition" tuner.

Only the D model has arived in Australia I think?

Basically any LCD or Plasma being sold in Australia currently that has either a HD Ready screen or a Full HD screen has a HD tuner onboard. People seem to get confused by reading UK forums as there is still next to no terrestrial HD programming there. The BBC is still only trialling it as I understand. Consequently the main provider of HD programming in the UK is SKY for which you need an STB like you do with Foxtel in Australia. As a result TV's sold in the UK until recently only required an onboard analogue and standard definition digital tuner. The long and the short of it is, don't spend to much time looking at specs for TV's being sold in the UK and Europe as they are designed for an environment wholly different to what you have in Australia.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oz, like Roninrr, I sit predominantly in front of the screen from approx 4mtrs away. I have my LCD on a unit which when sitting down it sits roughly at eye level give or take a few mm's. I also have a couch side-on which I've sat and layed down on viewing from an angle, at roughly eye level again, and have never seen any drop in PQ. I'm not sure how you view your Tv but I usually sit quite still and don't bounce up and down or do any kind of squatting excercises whilst watching Tele. I can confirm that after 2 nights of specifically looking out for what you're talking about, I have watched FTA SD and HD channels, including live footy, SD Foxtel and dvd's from both angles mentioned and again didn't see any drop in PQ. I can still say watching anything on this tele still blows me away. If I was to criticise anything about the picture, some people can look quite artificial in their backround but I think this is all due to being used to lesser quality pictures with poorer clarity which blurs all the picture together makign it smoother. I've even found some news coverage, where they go to the reporters, where this PQ is so clear, that I've been shocked by a few dots on the screen which scared the crap out of me thinking it was my pixels, but in actual fact, was dirty camera lenses from the channels cameras. Other than the ultimate crisp clarity which can cause pictures to look almost too perfect, I'm blown away with everythig I watch to be totally honest and thats not because I wouldn't talk it down because I've bought it. Beleive you/me, if anything and I mean anything changes with my opinion, I'll be the first to jump on here and tell the world in an honest opinion. Have a good weekend!

I've seen this effect on the previous models. Other brands do it too, some worse than others. I'd say the new Samsung series 6 is best at not doing this. Because of that I reckon it might be to do with screen coatings etc. The Series 6 Samsungs have a gloss finish like the old CRT sets. The series 5 and series 4 models aren't too bad either but they don't have a gloss finish. Toshiba wasn't great either from memory with grey out occurring on wider angles. I am sorry to hear that about the new Philips models. When you have a family like I do, spread out around the TV, viewing angles and their affect on PQ matter. Not everybody gets to sit fully perpendicular to the screen.

If you have people sitting on wide angles then that is the benefit of buying Plasma over LCD.

I used to love Samsung lcd's but PQ lacks alot with current models.

Best LCd's imo are 1st Philips, then Sony X and then Samsung 6 series.

Just a heads up guys. I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this has already been covered,

These TV's are a Harvey Norman Exclusive until the End of august.

I work for the Good Guys, and tried to get one for a customer, unfortunately to be told they are exclusive to Harveys till pretty much after the olympics. So yeah, there is no point going in and bullshitting to them about better prices elsewhere, or the salesperson will laugh you out of the shop.

My suggestion is to wait unitl early sept, then you will see the best prices, with every man and his dog selling them.

Hope this helps.

They do have the other 2 models below this one that is $500 and $1000 cheaper at Good Guys.

The one I saw was the 3 ms respose time 100hz model for $2499 at the Good Guys.

As far as I know only Harvey Norman and The Good Guys sell Philips LCD's here in Melbourne.

Regarding the availability of the new models I spoke with a rep at Domayne this week who said something similar, to the effect that they don't expect to have the new models in until around September - November!! So yeah it looks like Harvey Norman is currently the only people who have them in stock. The 47PFL9703D/79 currently has a sticker price of $3800, I should be able to get a few hundred off if I pay cash me thinks. My accountant submitted my tax return this week with an estimated return of $3500 so I'm crossing my fingers for the next fortnight that I may be able to pick this LCD up for next to nothing! B)

Edited by Traitorsgate
If you have people sitting on wide angles then that is the benefit of buying Plasma over LCD.

I used to love Samsung lcd's but PQ lacks alot with current models.

Best LCd's imo are 1st Philips, then Sony X and then Samsung 6 series.

Im amazed you think that the current Sony X series is better than the Samsung 6 series, having owned both I can assure you that the 6 series exceeds the X series in many areas and is definately a better TV

Do these things have a HD tuner. It is hard to find this out from the promotional material. I understand that in Europe the D on the end of the model number stands for "digital" tuner and a H stands for "High Definition" tuner.

Only the D model has arived in Australia I think?

Mill

As I understand it, the tuner on the H model (available in Europe) is able to receive TNT-HD format broadcast which includes mpeg-4 material. In all other respects it is the same as the D model which is offered in Australia.

The D model certainly receives and plays all the HD channels broadcast in Australia in spectacular clarity.

Interestingly both H and D models seem to be able to only playback mpeg-1 and mpeg-2 content when fed through the LAN connection from a computer network which suggests that the only difference is the tuner for receiving live broadcast.

roninrr

Im amazed you think that the current Sony X series is better than the Samsung 6 series, having owned both I can assure you that the 6 series exceeds the X series in many areas and is definately a better TV

youre 100% right on that.Even Cnet(American site) rate it above the X series.

As I understand it, the tuner on the H model (available in Europe) is able to receive TNT-HD format broadcast which includes mpeg-4 material....

So far as I know the only TV's that are coming into Australia with MPEG-4 HD tuners able to receive full 1080P boadcast material are the new models from Loewe & Metz. Not that where likely to see 1080P broadcasts in Australia anytime soon. <_<

Well done Grampus. Your HN price for the 42pfl7903 is about right ($2700 from Preston 3 weeks ago + $48 delivery) for a set with a RRP of $3299.

LAN connection is really great with only limitation being the formats accepted by the Philips (mpeg1 or 2, mp3 and jpeg) but then the Beyonwiz can be used for other file (particularly movie) types.

Big advantage of Philips LAN is for jpegs which are instantaneous (compared to the Beyonwiz with its interminable hour glass between slides) so that slideshows are great - can even play music in background through LAN while watching slide show, all set up & run from the couch using the Philips remote.

I have mine connected to a network of Macs through a Linksys router - the suggested media server software (Twonky Media) was quickly dropped in favour of EyeConnect from Elgato. No need for AppleTV or separate media server box at the TV.

Another standout is the quality of free to air broadcasts, even on non-HD digital channels - best I've ever seen - and it is used as a TV set first & foremost.

Upscaling of ordinary dvd's from a Philips 3980 DVD player ($83!) is also excellent. DVD player is HDMI & DivX compatible.

Did you find the "extended user manual" online?

I have a need for it to be able to set up my Vista Media Player it seems.

Doesn't quite happen as if by magic.

I would have hoped that it would have ustilised shared folders, but apparently not it seems you have to have Media Player running.

Did you find the "extended user manual" online?

I have a need for it to be able to set up my Vista Media Player it seems.

Doesn't quite happen as if by magic.

I would have hoped that it would have ustilised shared folders, but apparently not it seems you have to have Media Player running.

Grampus

You can access a pdf version of the TV manual on the Philips Australia site (www.philips.com.au/support) and it does it have a bit more info than the supplied manual, particularly as it relates to Windows Media Player on Vista or XP.

I need to leave eyeConnect (the Mac media server) running in the background on one of the Macs. Through the media server settings I have restricted the TV's access to the specific folders (on a network hard drive) which contain my master copies of movies, music and photos. This limits the number of folders viewable by the TV from the media server to only those needed.

For info, there is a recent review by the Gadget Guy (http://www.gadgetguy.com.au/philips-cineos-42pfl9703-review-152526-101.html) which gives the Philips good marks.

roninrr

Grampus

You can access a pdf version of the TV manual on the Philips Australia site (www.philips.com.au/support) and it does it have a bit more info than the supplied manual, particularly as it relates to Windows Media Player on Vista or XP.

For info, there is a recent review by the Gadget Guy (http://www.gadgetguy.com.au/philips-cineos-42pfl9703-review-152526-101.html) which gives the Philips good marks.

roninrr

Thanks, I didn't look deeply enough, (as usual)

I was looking for a section 7.7 as was mentioned in the paper version, so as there wasn't a 7.7 in the index from the on-line version, I didn't pursue it. Silly me.

Ahh that's one problem out of the road.

So far as I know the only TV's that are coming into Australia with MPEG-4 HD tuners able to receive full 1080P boadcast material are the new models from Loewe & Metz. Not that where likely to see 1080P broadcasts in Australia anytime soon. <_<

make that ever. In fact what a waste of money. And do Loewe even MAKE TV's anymore? Last I saw they rebadge crap.

With regards to that Gadget Guy review, it states that the 42PFL9703 doesn't support 1080p24fps signals, what gives? I was under the impression from what I'd already read elsewhere that it does.

I called Philips and they state that it does.

QUOTE (Traitorsgate @ Aug 12 2008, 11:28 AM) *

With regards to that Gadget Guy review, it states that the 42PFL9703 doesn't support 1080p24fps signals, what gives? I was under the impression from what I'd already read elsewhere that it does.

From the manual

Video formats

Resolution Refresh rate

480i 60Hz

480p 60Hz

576i 50Hz

576p 50Hz

720p 50Hz, 60Hz

1080i 50Hz, 60Hz

1080p 24Hz, 25Hz, 30Hz

1080p 50Hz, 60Hz

Just a note on that review, It has been amended, with that 'Con' removed. The reviewer states that "What I thought was happening was that without Digital Natural Motion, the TV seemed to be converting the 24 frames per second video from the Blu-ray player to 60 frames per second. But I was using a poor demo clip it later turned out."

So Philips are right on this.

Domayne advertised the 47" model for $3088 on Ch 9 this morning. Final sale price should be around $2700 post-haggling.

Philips has two new models out that look similar, the 42 and 47PFL7403D, and 42 and 47PFL9703D. Domayne is advertising the 7403, which has 3ms refesh vs a 2ms on the 9703. Also a few other differences between the two, which explains their roughly $500 rrp differential. Just make sure you are comparing apples with apples.

btw, I was offered a 47" 9703 at HN today for $3150 delivered - things are getting tough in retail land. Didn't buy as the budget says next month

Ahh well that's a relief to have had clarified, now I can concentrate on the important issue of deciding between the 42' or bite the bullet and get the 47' which is probably a shade large for my place.

I view my 42"about 4 mtres away.I'm comfortable with the size

I don't have a size envy. (just as well)

But reckon if I had a 47" then the strength of the pure whites would just about lift me outta the chair.

Howdy Peeps,

I'll vouch for that comment Grampus. I've had my 47" 9703 for just on a month now and still get blown away by the PQ and am so happy with it. PQ, clarity, colours, ease to use, and aesthetics are all beyond my expectations knowing I was having a frustrating time trying to choose for months. I'm really impressed with your price MarkM. $3150 for the 47" is a top buy and I wouldn't let that go by. Considering they came out weeks ago at $3,800 and to pick it up not long after for that price is fantastic. Just a quick question regarding the reception of 2 certain channels. I actually have my antenna plugged directly into my Homecast PVR then via a quality HDMI cable to Tv. I have excellent reception for channels 7HD, 9HD and 10HD but ABCHD and SBSHD I have problems where it displays a blank screen but sound comes through, then after flicking channels and flicking to digital abc and sbs all is fine then I click back to HD sbs and abc and then the picture shows again but not instantly. I havent attempted to plug the antenna directly into the Tv using its internal tuner yet but I was just wondering whether anyone else has a similar setup or problem. Once I finally see the picture on SBSHD and ABCHD all is fine and the picture is fantastic, its just that it only shows intermittanly. Not that I watch SBS or ABC that often to even care, haha but I'm finding the SBS Olympic coverage so much better structured than the 7 coverage. I'm so sick of them flicking to events for 5 seconds only to have them change back to another again. Its frustrating the hell out of me! Cheers!

Philips has two new models out that look similar, the 42 and 47PFL7403D, and 42 and 47PFL9703D. Domayne is advertising the 7403, which has 3ms refesh vs a 2ms on the 9703. Also a few other differences between the two, which explains their roughly $500 rrp differential. Just make sure you are comparing apples with apples.

btw, I was offered a 47" 9703 at HN today for $3150 delivered - things are getting tough in retail land. Didn't buy as the budget says next month

Would you mind telling which HN?

Edited by fred2
Howdy Peeps,

I'll vouch for that comment Grampus. I've had my 47" 9703 for just on a month now and still get blown away by the PQ and am so happy with it. PQ, clarity, colours, ease to use, and aesthetics are all beyond my expectations knowing I was having a frustrating time trying to choose for months. I'm really impressed with your price MarkM. $3150 for the 47" is a top buy and I wouldn't let that go by. Considering they came out weeks ago at $3,800 and to pick it up not long after for that price is fantastic. Just a quick question regarding the reception of 2 certain channels. I actually have my antenna plugged directly into my Homecast PVR then via a quality HDMI cable to Tv. I have excellent reception for channels 7HD, 9HD and 10HD but ABCHD and SBSHD I have problems where it displays a blank screen but sound comes through, then after flicking channels and flicking to digital abc and sbs all is fine then I click back to HD sbs and abc and then the picture shows again but not instantly. I havent attempted to plug the antenna directly into the Tv using its internal tuner yet but I was just wondering whether anyone else has a similar setup or problem. Once I finally see the picture on SBSHD and ABCHD all is fine and the picture is fantastic, its just that it only shows intermittanly. Not that I watch SBS or ABC that often to even care, haha but I'm finding the SBS Olympic coverage so much better structured than the 7 coverage. I'm so sick of them flicking to events for 5 seconds only to have them change back to another again. Its frustrating the hell out of me! Cheers!

Gazman

In the setup you describe you must be relying on the PVR tuner(s) which is surprising given the strength of the Philips tuner to show both HD and SD channels with real clarity.

Does your pvr have an aerial out connection, in which case you just need to connect it to the aerial in connection on the TV.

I have a Beyonwiz dp-p1, and as good as it is, the Philips tuner is even better.

roninrr

I view my 42"about 4 mtres away.I'm comfortable with the size

I've got a viewing distance of only 2.8-3.0 mtres. My current 32" screen is looking a little small so the 42" looks like a relatively safe bet. Gazman1973 has said that he got the 47" at a price that was well within my current budget. Having looked at both the units in store I can't accurately tell if the 47" is too big for my rather limited viewing distance. Don't think the sales staff would appreciate me rearranging their floor stock so I can get a better impression. I have this nagging concern that if I get the 47" once I have it delivered it may be just too big for my rather cramped apartment.

I actually have my antenna plugged directly into my Homecast PVR then via a quality HDMI cable to Tv. I have excellent reception for channels 7HD, 9HD and 10HD but ABCHD and SBSHD I have problems where it displays a blank screen but sound comes through, then after flicking channels and flicking to digital abc and sbs all is fine then I click back to HD sbs and abc and then the picture shows again but not instantly. I havent attempted to plug the antenna directly into the Tv using its internal tuner yet but I was just wondering whether anyone else has a similar setup or problem.

I am assuming that you are watching the vision via the PVR HDMI out.

Interestingly mine is via the BeyonSWiz PVR HDMI to the TV. And I have my Antenna going to the PVR 1st, and out to the TV.

I have one channel that is abysmal when I am viewing it from the PVR

But when I view it via the TV's onboard tune, it is watchable.

I believe my problem here is the PVR front end is not all its cracked up to be.

What might be interesting in your scenario would be to try and gauge the difference between going via the PVR and going direct to the TV by using the TV's Digital reception test.

Might give you a bit of food for thought.

I've got a viewing distance of only 2.8-3.0 mtres. My current 32" screen is looking a little small so the 42" looks like a relatively safe bet. Gazman1973 has said that he got the 47" at a price that was well within my current budget. Having looked at both the units in store I can't accurately tell if the 47" is too big for my rather limited viewing distance. Don't think the sales staff would appreciate me rearranging their floor stock so I can get a better impression. I have this nagging concern that if I get the 47" once I have it delivered it may be just too big for my rather cramped apartment.

Like most things, you'll probably get used to it.

Every time I go from one product to another, I complain about various items that are done/look different, then after a month or so it all goes away, and life is good.

Ditto!

Anywhere in SE Melbourne I could try and get matched with that? Next weekend will be looking at the 47PFL9703D, as well as getting a smaller LCD TV (up to 26" maybe 37") and a laptop in the one hit too, so the wife can put her haggling gloves on! (I tend to fall in a heap whenever a salesperson comes over...!) :o

Cheers fellas

Ditto!

Anywhere in SE Melbourne I could try and get matched with that? Next weekend will be looking at the 47PFL9703D, as well as getting a smaller LCD TV (up to 26" maybe 37") and a laptop in the one hit too, so the wife can put her haggling gloves on! (I tend to fall in a heap whenever a salesperson comes over...!) :o

Cheers fellas

When I bought my 42", I bought it from Wonthaggi. But they had to get it from the Knox store.

Howdy guys

I purchased the 47inch today and I am wrapped.

I fronted at my local HN at 15mins to closing time and said to the sales guy how much and after some pencil tapping he said $3500.

I told him that I know someone who got theirs from a HN for $3150 (as in previous post) to which he said that this person must have known the sales person and that he couldn't do that.

It is amazing when you tell them that if he were give it to me for $3200 now I will take it off their hands.....to which he said yes!

Must have been that he wanted to go home but I can't be happier!!

Sure. I decided to buy so I went to HN Gordon on the weekend. They offered me $3150 delivered but when I decided to buy (after the Grant Hackett race watched on the 9703!) he said couldn't guarantee a delivery for at least a month. I slipped down to HN Chatswood where I had been originally offered the $3150. Different sales guy said price couldn't possibly be right, was below cost for them. I assured him I had been offered price at HN Gordon and previously at HN Chatswood. He calls them, couldn't get hold of anyone, but the salesman I had spoken to a few days before wanders over with another guy, punches a few buttons on the computer and says yep, give it to him. I ended up picking up on the day so didn't pay the $50 delivery. I assume there is some sort of rebate arrangement which makes the price palatable. FYI, both stores let me walk away at $3k and I think this was the last one i stock at Chatswood. Hope this helps

Sure. I decided to buy so I went to HN Gordon on the weekend. They offered me $3150 delivered but when I decided to buy (after the Grant Hackett race watched on the 9703!) he said couldn't guarantee a delivery for at least a month. I slipped down to HN Chatswood where I had been originally offered the $3150. Different sales guy said price couldn't possibly be right, was below cost for them. I assured him I had been offered price at HN Gordon and previously at HN Chatswood. He calls them, couldn't get hold of anyone, but the salesman I had spoken to a few days before wanders over with another guy, punches a few buttons on the computer and says yep, give it to him. I ended up picking up on the day so didn't pay the $50 delivery.

markm1111

It would be a great help to me if you could scan a copy of the receipt and send it to me. I will give my email address if this is simpler than messaging. My problem is that there is very little competition in my rural area and the best quote I have is $3450.

Thanks

fred2

Hiya all, since purchasing my 9703 and being so happy, I've kind of gone quiet on this website because I simply don;t really need to use it as a mean of info any longer basically. I've jumped on and noticed talks on s/w upgrades for recent model TV's. Would a TV as new as a month require urgent upgrades so soon? If so, what are these patches fixing in particular. Reason I'm asking is in my expereince with upgrades and s/w fixes, is that sometimes they actually make items worse off than better. This is a very huge generalisation I know, I'm sure they've produced them to fix certain bugs but unless its a particular fix thats going to benefit my viewing experience, I don;t see much point. Whats your thoughts?