Latest Offering From Philips?

Guest Adman the Indefatigable

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as per my post above Ive been looking at the 7403 through H Norman and they are definetly indicating a price drop.... at least $200 and thats before any haggling. I expect thet same will happen on the 9703s as well. From what I understand HN are not ordering any more Philips TVs so they will just want to move what they have.

have been offered $2000 for PFL7403D yesterday at HN (with new sound bar for $850 )

again anyone have any experience with this TV?

The price, picture and specs all look really good. Will get an extension to 7 years on warranty which covers my concerns that they are getting outta the OZ market . Will want a new one by then anyway..

sorry Benson not sure about 47 incher

Edited by setho

I wouldn't be losing any sleep over the warranty issue with Philips pulling out of the Australian market. So long as the warranty is valid then your covered. It's not really any different to other Euro brands, namely B&O, Loewe & Metz who are imported into the country by licenced resellers. In fact I was speaking to a dealer the other day who are now selling Philips TV's along side ones from Loewe & Metz. The consensus at the moment seems to be that resellers will continue to bring in the Euro brands while there is a demand for them regardless of whether their is an official manufacturer presence in the country or not.

Harvey Norman City West advised there was a $400 price drop today on the 47 9703 today (down to $3,400). Can anyone confirm the RRP of the 47 incher now?

HN in Osborne Park offered me one on Saturday $3149 plus approx $250 for extended warranty a total of 5 years which I thought was a bit expensive, I was really looking for something about 50" so I didn't push the guy for a buy right now price so probably could have done better, plus I'm a bit iffy about the long term if they are quitting TV in Oz.

I have $3000 to spend, I am not fussed between 47" or 50". The new LCD's are impressive but then again I am no expert and my TV at home will not be sitting next to 4 other models or brands (if you know what I mean). I always lent towards Plasma because of the marketing efforts of the manufacturers and how they don't have ghosting and good for sport... but then I saw the latest Phillips 47" and I am impressed.

I currently have a Loewe Planus (Widescreen 576p CRT) - LOVE IT but am now officially " keeping up (or getting ahead of) the Jones' "

I'm at my final two - between the Phillips 47PFL9703D and Panasonic TH-50PZ850A (Plasma). The size differnce does not bother me.

I love my sport and movies, do not have and am not considering Foxtel or Fox HD. Just a simpleton that enjoys TV & Movies (especially Ten HD MotoGP & F1).

Now that you know a little about me, can anyone provide some clarity becasue the guys in the stores can only guess...

Any help is appreciated...

G'day fred.e. I have just bought the 47PFL9703D and let me say it really is awesome!! I was the same as you, I started off considering the same TH-50PZ850A Panasonic plasma against the Philips 47PFL9703D LCD.

After many hours of research and countless hours in my local Harvey Norman checking out different shows/sports (SD and HD), movies and games I came to the conclusion that the Philips was for me (and by the sound of it, you too!! :) )

The picture quality in the shop on everything I saw was fabulous and I can confidently say the it really is even better when you get it home, as has been said before in this forum, the SD TV picture (alone) is the best I have seen on ANY LCD!!!!!!! Also, the inherent lack of blur and overall picture quality/clarity is truly staggering!!!

I have mates that have bought big brand LCD'S only to get them home to find they are less than good, with everything from movies to normal TV, then they spend all their time trying to convince themselves that they did the right thing by buying a Big Brand and saying they are happy with the set, when clearly they are not.

I'm not one of those blokes, the 47PFL9703 REALLY is fantastic!!

And, I can't wait to see the Moto GP on the 47 on Sunday :)

All the best and I hope I have been some help,

Cheers, CC

Edited by Crazy Charlie

G'day fred.e. I have just bought the 47PFL9703D and let me say it really is awesome!! I was the same as you, I started off considering the same TH-50PZ850A Panasonic plasma against the Philips 47PFL9703D LCD.

And, I can't wait to see the Moto GP on the 47 on Sunday :)

You've hit the nail on the head, thanks Charlie - No dealer has let me run FTA at their showroom (they just run their standard recorded stuff).

How did MotoGP look? Also did you watch the league final and if so was it sharp?

Cheers, Fred.e

I'm looking at either a 42pfl7403 @$1840 or the 42pfl9703 @$2250. Just wondering what the general opinion is of both sets is and whether the extra for the 9703 is justified given that I'll be using it in the bedroom.

Best prices either has been bought for would give me a good guide for a price to aim for.

I'm looking at either a 42pfl7403 @$1840 or the 42pfl9703 @$2250. Just wondering what the general opinion is of both sets is and whether the extra for the 9703 is justified given that I'll be using it in the bedroom.

Best prices either has been bought for would give me a good guide for a price to aim for.

Well, my best price for the 42 LCD Philips is well over that. $2699 I think.

I haven't got the other one to compare, but I have been extremely happy so far. The PQ is way & above the original philips plasma I had

Edited by Grampus

Little Bobby:

I got the 7403 a couple of weeks ago for $2000 as our main tellie. We couldn't necessarily justify the extra for the 9703 (With the same deal it would have been about $2400 I think). To be honest it was difficult to see a great variation between the two products in the store. The major performance difference so far as I can tell is a faster response time (2 ms with the 9703 vs 3 ms with the 7403) …

We have been really happy with the performance and PQ of the 7403. Some settings we have changed a little but overall it is amazing picture, particularly good with HD and DVDs- and overall design is great. For $1840 you are getting a lot for your money!!

Guest diverbelow

Paid $2994 for the 47PFL9703 last week at a "VIP" night at HN Midland, WA. About a 2 week wait though until it arrives.

latest price paid

just got the phillips lcd 42pfl9703d from good guys thomastown victoria paid $2250 cash

thanks to dtv forums for such good info and posts i would of been lost with so many tvs for sale atm.

cancelled the 42' 9703 as no one in melb has got any in stock looks all sold out.

so after about 6 calls found a 47plf9703 in the city for $2800

these also are getting hard to get in a week or 2 reckon wont be any left in melb, city got 1 left and chadstone has 5 left so be quick if you wont one.

cancelled the 42' 9703 as no one in melb has got any in stock looks all sold out.

so after about 6 calls found a 47plf9703 in the city for $2800

these also are getting hard to get in a week or 2 reckon wont be any left in melb, city got 1 left and chadstone has 5 left so be quick if you wont one.

Hope you will be happy with your purchase. I am!

Even though they are going out of favour, I think that they should last as well as any other device.

there is no reason not to buy one if available.

Generally If any electronic device is going to fail, it will be in the first few months (if is going to). Your 12 months warranty will cover that.

After that, well, it'll probably last like the last few evolutions of TV did.

By then it will be another new functionality/technology that will take our fancy.

Excuse me while I go and get another red wine.

Guest Pratman_77

Bought the 47 9703....awesome.

one problem and any help appreciated. The sound/volume rises and falls for no apparent reason when watching tv. Thought it was the auto volume leveling function - but when in settings, it won't let me access it.

Please help - a bit frustrating on day 2 of the new tv....

Bought the 47 9703....awesome.

one problem and any help appreciated. The sound/volume rises and falls for no apparent reason when watching tv. Thought it was the auto volume leveling function - but when in settings, it won't let me access it.

Please help - a bit frustrating on day 2 of the new tv....

I have the same tv but have had no problems with what you are experiencing. Have you downloaded the latest updates from the PHilips website? When I got my TV this is the first thing I did. It turned on the EPG too.

This may allow you to access this function.

Not much use to you aafus but I just bought the 42Pfl9703D for $1880 in Melbourne. Display model off the floor but for that price who cares. I know there is virtually none of this model available in Melbourne now but if anyone is after the 42pfl7403 I know that Good Guys at Thomastown and DFO Essendon have about 3 left at each store, with no idea if and when they'll get any more. $1800 from the Thomastown store and $1840 from DFO was the best prices I could get on VISA.

Sikmrex: Re the software update. The only one I can see refers to the UK. Is this update you're referring to or is there another somewhere?

A few observations I've already made:

Great picture on the Philips but a little clunky re the setup and fine tuning. I have a Pio LX508 in the lounge so I'm a bit spoilt in that area with it. Remote control is minimalist but adequate. I agree that viewing of axis from the side at greater than 45 deg is pretty poor but as mines in a bedroom it's not and issue. Mine also has a little backlight bleed in the top LH corner. Again for the price I paid I'll put up with it. (If you don't know what that is or how to look for it don't worry about it).