Latest Offering From Philips?

Guest Adman the Indefatigable

I would be surprised if they do bring out Ambilight with the 52" in October when they havent for the 42" or 47". My understanding was the reason they included it in the European market and not in the Oz market on the 9703 was because of the price increase making it harder to compete in the market here. Including Ambilight would increase the cost to almost an extra $1K and I wouldnt think that bringing out the 47" at around $3,800 without it, they wouldve had much success, although better Tv's, with other cheaper Sony's, Samsung's, Sharp's or LG's if they tagged it at $4,800 for a 47". Thats my understanding anyway. Like I've said before, compared to the world market, Oz is miniscule and I'm not sure of the stats or buying trends but we're possibly even stingier when it comes to Entertainment equipment so why would they release a High end TV when no one is going to buy it because its too dear compared to the other brands? I think they smartly designed the High End 9703 model to suit their costs without the Ambilight and fit in well within our market to be able to compete which I think they've done quite well. Thats my lack of knowledge understanding of it all. B)

Ambilight Available?!

I have just purchased the 42PFL9703D/79 and am currently awaiting delivery. I just noticed that the latest HN catalogue (pg3 fathers day issue) nominates the 47" model as having Ambilight 3. Since a lot of the earlier reviews on the web are from UK websites this model is known as the 42PFL9703D/10 and this INCLUDES ambilight 3. When I previously enquired from Philips if the Ambilight version would be available in Australia the answer was only on the Aurea (see below);

"Dear xxxx,

There is only going to be one model that will be released in Australia with Ambilight.

It will be the replacement for current the Aurea (42PFL9900D/79).

If you are looking at the 42PFL9703D/79, it will the top of the line model in the 42" range." This response was emailed to me 18.07.08.

I gave HN chatswood a call today and they are of the belief that the October release of the new Cineos (as in the catalogue mentioned above) will have Ambilight. I'm not sure whether to believe this (or philips consumer care) or not but given its advertised with the same RRP, ~$3800, as the version without this seems a little odd.

I haven't seen the ambilight in action too much myself and it seems to get mixed reviews from users. From my POV its too late to change mine now and since I have never had ambilight I guess I wont miss it but I'd suggest to those looking to put this down as one of the questions to confirm when buying.

As you can see I'm not a longtime forum writer but have got enjoyed the feedback within this thread and in particular from gazman1973 and traitorsgate. I'm still a couple of weeks away from delivery but will post my thoughts once i've put it through its paces.

Cheers.

link for HN

http://catalogues.harveynorman.com.au/port...&gotopage=1

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ToolTime15, I think they've just made a stupid mistake. I just clicked on your link for the catalogue and did read the same. They've just received this model we've all purchased recently and only starting to put these on the floor from their warehouses so I can;t see it being any different from the ones myself and others have already purchased. Its simply a mistake and I think they're going to regret that typo if people are expecting it to have that option. Especially at $3,799, theres no way it would have ambilight also.

Just a heads up guys. I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this has already been covered,

These TV's are a Harvey Norman Exclusive until the End of august.

I work for the Good Guys, and tried to get one for a customer, unfortunately to be told they are exclusive to Harveys till pretty much after the olympics. So yeah, there is no point going in and bullshitting to them about better prices elsewhere, or the salesperson will laugh you out of the shop.

My suggestion is to wait unitl early sept, then you will see the best prices, with every man and his dog selling them.

Hope this helps.

G'day Underd0g

Have you a date for when you'll be able to start stocking the new sets now the Games are over?

Once Philips release the 47PFL9703D and other models to stores like yourselves (GG), what kind of $$ deals could we expect to be done?

ie. Buy today, for cash, and take it away etc.

If the wholesale price is supposedly around $2700-2800, there seems to be a good-sized margin to move in? And would it help if I was to also purchase a 2nd smaller tv, a wireless router and laptop?

Cheers :D

ToolTime15, I think they've just made a stupid mistake. I just clicked on your link for the catalogue and did read the same. They've just received this model we've all purchased recently and only starting to put these on the floor from their warehouses so I can;t see it being any different from the ones myself and others have already purchased. Its simply a mistake and I think they're going to regret that typo if people are expecting it to have that option. Especially at $3,799, theres no way it would have ambilight also.

Gazman1973,

I have seen your footprints on other sites like cnet (that particular reviewer I have to say went up-to-down pretty rapidly) so know you have researched this particular TV a bit. I agree; the 47" RRP $3,799 is what the non ambilight is recommended at so selling with ambilight at the same price is probably as you say a stupid mistake on their part. A questions if I may;

This reviewer

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2...-42in-LCD-TV/p4

notes to get the best out of the TV to change settings to what you watch. Are you finding you are doing this? I don't mind as this is the same as say changing your amp settings to drama or mono or stereo although in that case its a one button change. Be interested to know how much you are fiddling.

Cheers

ToolTime,

I actually found a set of settings on another Philips TV forum for the previous model. When I first got the TV I performed the calibration setup guide of the TV itself and found I was choosing options which seemed nice to the eye but were actually too bright. I then inputted these following options;

contrast 88

brightness 48

colour 50

sharpness 4

Pixel Perfect HD ON

100mhz - Minimum

All other options turned off.

and I havent changed it since and found them very easy on the eye giving great PQ, nice contrast and brightness levels which don't strain the eye after lengthy viewing. I've even left the 100Hz option off at times unless I'm watching footy as I found that the picture generation was too much when just viewing normal shows and then turned it on watching sport only. Once again, its personal preference and what could be nice for ones eyes is terrible for the other so treat it as just a guide. I don;t know why the person who displayed those settings chose those exact settings either but they seemed to work for him and me also. Good luck!

ToolTime,

I actually found a set of settings on another Philips TV forum for the previous model. When I first got the TV I performed the calibration setup guide of the TV itself and found I was choosing options which seemed nice to the eye but were actually too bright. I then inputted these following options;

contrast 88

brightness 48

colour 50

sharpness 4

Pixel Perfect HD ON

100mhz - Minimum

All other options turned off.

and I havent changed it since and found them very easy on the eye giving great PQ, nice contrast and brightness levels which don't strain the eye after lengthy viewing. I've even left the 100Hz option off at times unless I'm watching footy as I found that the picture generation was too much when just viewing normal shows and then turned it on watching sport only. Once again, its personal preference and what could be nice for ones eyes is terrible for the other so treat it as just a guide. I don;t know why the person who displayed those settings chose those exact settings either but they seemed to work for him and me also. Good luck!

At first blush these seem pretty good.

Had a hiccup while I was doing this. Primes HD channel decided to disappear, put me into a tizz for a moment, when I quit the setup to find a blank screen.

All other channels are OK. The problem is with the broadcaster, proved it by separate device.

Phew.

Bing Lee, Pitt St Sydney - $2950 :D for the 47' 9703 model, available from September. Harvey Norman has exclusive sales until then, is what the BL representative said. I told him that HN were able to offer me it at $3150 :lol: .. that's the only haggling I did B)

I am awaiting a call next week from BL to go through with this sale :rolleyes:

I don't want to spend as much as $3,000 on a set, but the local Good Guys, at Rockingham (WA) advertised model (Philips) 42PFL5603D for $1998. I checked with Harvey Norman who tell me that recommended retail is $1999 which makes that a phenomenal whole dollar off RRP. Harvey Norman's starting phone price was $1799 (with stock on hand). I am told that this is a new release model only out for about a week.

My only exposure to Philips was an a portable colour TV about 35 years ago and it was nothing but trouble for me, but than, there is no comparison and maybe its about time I forgave them for that lemon.

Can anyone give me any feedback on product quality generally and on the model quoted specifically as I am seriously considering buying something and this sounds like it could be a good buy.

Product info is available at; http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/e...V+42PFL5603D-79

I don't want to spend as much as $3,000 on a set, but the local Good Guys, at Rockingham (WA) advertised model (Philips) 42PFL5603D for $1998. I checked with Harvey Norman who tell me that recommended retail is $1999 which makes that a phenomenal whole dollar off RRP. Harvey Norman's starting phone price was $1799 (with stock on hand). I am told that this is a new release model only out for about a week.

RRPs are quoted here http://hdtvprices.pbwiki.com/ but were from a review article pre-August so could have changed by now.

After a bit of research, I have found that the Philips 47 PFL9703D/79 can be had for around $2870, without much haggling.

This price will reduce even more as the new 2008-9 Sony and Samsung range get into the market.

For info, the Philips range are now in the GG Stores, and HN now only has the 42 inch exclusiveity...

So with three retailers now having access,good competition should help everyone.

Also advised that there is another Philips model on the way.... dont know what but.

bax

Following my earlier post, I ended up buying a (Philips) 42PFL5603D LCD, I paid $1,700 for it at Good Guys. The peripherals (Topfield 5000 PVR, LG HD PVR, NEC DVD, Sony Tuner/Amp) all hooked in without any drama. We get a fantastic picture and are very pleased with the result.

Hi guys, hoping for some advice. Firstly i was sold on the XBR 46" as it was a good deal, then after looking at philips (online) and having had a ambilight 32" for 4 years i started thinking the 47PFL9632D was the way to go.

....until a user on this forum told me it was a discontinued model (although i have found it in a local store) and that i should be looking at the 47PFL9703D which i checked out online and can't say the reviews i've read have been too good...

what do you all think? If given the choice between the following what would be the go??

47PFL9632D - discontinued 47" philips with ambilight

47PFL9703D - new 47" philips with 1080p

KDL46XBR - sony 46"

HELP ... i'm a little over my head with this but don't want to make the wrong call!

thanks very much in advance.

Make no mistake the discontinued model is simply obsolete. The 47PFL9703D - new 47" philips with 1080p is their latest and greatest. At the above price of $2,800 its a ripper.

Its going to have real competition once the new XBR's start rolling in and of course the higher end Samsungs.

i'm doing exactly what i did last night (reading through this forum) and do think the 47PFL9703D is the way forward... :D

Gotta go have a chat to bing lee sydney, see if i can manage that $2950 or even better, that $2800....

i'd be absolutely shocked if they do it....

If you can get the 47PFL9703D for under $3,000 then your laughing. It's actually encouraging to see how much the prices have dropped on the really big screens in the last year or so. Wasn't that long ago that you wouldn't have got much change from $6,000 for the top end large screen LCD's & Plasmas.

Guest sa_cooke

Hi,

well, our Philips CRT tv died the other day. It's at least 8 years old, so you can imagine the jaw-dropping that went on when I visited my local Harvey Norman tv area! In those short 8 years tvs have changed somewhat!! Some are as big as walls! Well, I went home and did some research - obviously it was needed. Nothing like JIT knowledge. I liked the idea of 100hz - an extra, interpolated frame inserted between each of the 50 frames displayed per second - I can understand how that effects motion, particularly at the resolution the new tvs boast! Next, I had to come to terms with the sheer size of the screens! Unbelievable! I saw in my research that 32" is considered small these days - let me tell you, we brought one of our old 30cm (or so) CRTs out of a bedroom to watch while we debated what to do about a new tv - that is small. Let me tell you, 32" is NOT small!

So, after all the research, I headed over to the Philips section of my local HN and bought a lovely 32" 32PFL7403D. It is a dream. I never knew that picture quality could be so good. I turn the 100hz feature off for the footy, but it's on all the rest of the time. You guys arguing about blackness, I know it's relative, but today's screens are far and away better than what we had - CRT. Simply phenomenal.

Following my earlier post, I ended up buying a (Philips) 42PFL5603D LCD,We get a fantastic picture and are very pleased with the result.

I thought I would mention that , having used the machine for a few days now, one minor irritation showed up, sound bars across the screen, annoying enough to be a nuisance. This was easily resolved through the menu section by resetting the picture's "noise reduction" function through the menu.

Since than I have updated the set's software, the picture's noise reduction is back to medium and the noise bars are gone so that (minor) problem appears to have been resolved by updating the TV's firmware.

Hi,

well, our Philips CRT tv died the other day. It's at least 8 years old, so you can imagine the jaw-dropping that went on when I visited my local Harvey Norman tv area! In those short 8 years tvs have changed somewhat!! Some are as big as walls! Well, I went home and did some research - obviously it was needed. Nothing like JIT knowledge. I liked the idea of 100hz - an extra, interpolated frame inserted between each of the 50 frames displayed per second - I can understand how that effects motion, particularly at the resolution the new tvs boast! Next, I had to come to terms with the sheer size of the screens! Unbelievable! I saw in my research that 32" is considered small these days - let me tell you, we brought one of our old 30cm (or so) CRTs out of a bedroom to watch while we debated what to do about a new tv - that is small. Let me tell you, 32" is NOT small!

So, after all the research, I headed over to the Philips section of my local HN and bought a lovely 32" 32PFL7403D. It is a dream. I never knew that picture quality could be so good. I turn the 100hz feature off for the footy, but it's on all the rest of the time. You guys arguing about blackness, I know it's relative, but today's screens are far and away better than what we had - CRT. Simply phenomenal.

Hi sa_cooke, wouldn't it be better to use the 100Hz when watching the footy and turn it off when watching normal tv when there are not as many fast movements going on? Also CRT tv's still provide an excellent picture as long as you have a decent one. My 6 year old 68cm JVC PQ matchs my new 46" 100Hz LCD but the screen size is the big factor there. It looks much more impressive. :rolleyes:

Guest sa_cooke
Hi sa_cooke, wouldn't it be better to use the 100Hz when watching the footy and turn it off when watching normal tv when there are not as many fast movements going on? Also CRT tv's still provide an excellent picture as long as you have a decent one. My 6 year old 68cm JVC PQ matchs my new 46" 100Hz LCD but the screen size is the big factor there. It looks much more impressive. :rolleyes:

Yes, I hear what you are saying regarding CRT - they are still preferred by some digital artists because colour is apparently more natural, whatever that means, displayed via CRT than through LCD. I'm not a digital artist using a massive Silicon Graphics boat anchor however. I do think, though, that for a 68cm CRT I'd need to have the floor strengthened! The weight of our old CRT - and that is quite a lot smaller than yours - was huge!

Regarding the 100hz off during the footy, well the footy is about different things for different people. For me, I enjoy the action. For the camera, though, the action is always centred around the ball - so the ball is followed religiously (meaning we miss a lot of the argy-bargy that goes on where the ball isn't - probably not such a bad thing I guess). With the camera following the wildly spinning ball after a decent kick, and the 100hz feature on, we get these interpolated images that are placed between each of the 50hz images that just make the ball look like a moth when seen in real time! I feel that the spin of a ball like an Aussie Rules ball is too difficult to predict. I'm guessing the 100hz feature was designed and tested in Europe, where pretty much all they use are round balls. Anyway, in an attempt to get rid of the 'ghosting', moth-like halo effect created by the interpolation not accurately recreating the football in flight, I turn the effect off.

Ahh, I wonder if screen resolution might not have some part to play in the effect I report. The 32" is 1366x768 - not full HD.

• 2 weeks later...
Regarding the 100hz off during the footy, well the footy is about different things for different people. For me, I enjoy the action. For the camera, though, the action is always centred around the ball - so the ball is followed religiously (meaning we miss a lot of the argy-bargy that goes on where the ball isn't - probably not such a bad thing I guess). With the camera following the wildly spinning ball after a decent kick, and the 100hz feature on, we get these interpolated images that are placed between each of the 50hz images that just make the ball look like a moth when seen in real time! I feel that the spin of a ball like an Aussie Rules ball is too difficult to predict. I'm guessing the 100hz feature was designed and tested in Europe, where pretty much all they use are round balls. Anyway, in an attempt to get rid of the 'ghosting', moth-like halo effect created by the interpolation not accurately recreating the football in flight, I turn the effect off.

Ahh, I wonder if screen resolution might not have some part to play in the effect I report. The 32" is 1366x768 - not full HD.

I agree with what you have found. I turned it off tonight whilst watching the saints/pies game and it was much better. There was no 'moth like' appearance of the ball in flight!

Who watches that game with the round ball anyways :D

That's interesting I spent last night flicking between the Aussie Rules, Bledisloe Cup and League Finals trying to find the ideal settings as well. Found the same thing that the 100Hz was best left off, although I felt that the difference was only minor. The problem I have is that in Canberra we get the regional treatment - Southern Cross 10 don't show the Aussie Rules in HD, WIN aren't showing the League in HD and Prime I suspect are using a 576i SD image for the Rugby and upscaling to HD. Unless your getting fed a genuine HD signal then football on a large Full HD screen can look pretty awful. The other week I watched the Wallabies v Springboks from J'Bourg on a mates Kuro and the picture was terrible, and no that's not Pio's problem the source was just piss poor. Until the networks start taking HD seriously in regional areas then the top shelf televisions like the Phili and Pio often seem to highlight what a piss poor job the regional networks are doing.

On a brighter note after the Bledisloe Cup on Prime they showed the film Broken Arrow on HD, yeah I know crap film, but what the hell. If there's one thing that the 47 PFL9703D never fails to do is highlight in all it's glory - dated CGI and stogy model work. <_<