Sign in to follow this  
Adman the Indefatigable

Latest Offering From Philips?

Has anyone actually laid eyes on the latest Philips LCDs that were supposedly released at the start of the month? I'm Sydney northside and have had blank looks at the local electrical stores and also no indication of pricing.

Is it usual for there to be much of a lag time between release date and stock arriving/pricing info being available?

Finally can anyone verify whether or not these actually come with a built in HD Tuner as the product specs make no mention of it. I have been waiting with a sense of great anticipation for these TVs but if there's no HD tuner I would be pretty bummed as I thought we could reasonably expect this would be a standard feature these days.

Cheers.

Has anyone actually laid eyes on the latest Philips LCDs that were supposedly released at the start of the month? I'm Sydney northside and have had blank looks at the local electrical stores and also no indication of pricing.

Is it usual for there to be much of a lag time between release date and stock arriving/pricing info being available?

Finally can anyone verify whether or not these actually come with a built in HD Tuner as the product specs make no mention of it. I have been waiting with a sense of great anticipation for these TVs but if there's no HD tuner I would be pretty bummed as I thought we could reasonably expect this would be a standard feature these days.

Cheers.

The new models should be out in July, Adman - as a salesman was informing me when I was looking to purchase the 47" Philips.. apparently they had a set to play around with.. upgrade model with 120hz, 2m/s response time, no ambilight, new look..

I would imagine that the HD tuner would be inbuilt given that the existing ones do..

Hope the info helps.

The new models should be out in July, Adman - as a salesman was informing me when I was looking to purchase the 47" Philips.. apparently they had a set to play around with.. upgrade model with 120hz, 2m/s response time, no ambilight, new look..

I would imagine that the HD tuner would be inbuilt given that the existing ones do..

Hope the info helps.

Hi Guys,

Just bought myself the new Philips 47PFL9703D today and it looks superb to say the least. Our aussie models come with 100Hz because we're on a 50Hz frequency or something, which I'm not fully technical with, so all this technology does is double the frequency so if we're on 50, it doubles it to 100, if other countries are on 60Hz, then they're on 120Hz and so on. I've researched, read, played with, and came to the conclusion that this TV is the best on the market at this point in time. It doesn;t have Ambi-Light which I don;t really mind about because the design looks great as it is. Awesome specs, nothing can beat it on the market today, and it looks simply stunning, I don;t know how else to describe it. I'm just glad I held off because I nearly bought the 42" as it came out firstly and I wasn;t sure how far behind the 47" was as I was ready to buy now, but thank god I did because this size is perfect.

Hi Guys,

Just bought myself the new Philips 47PFL9703D today and it looks superb to say the least. Our aussie models come with 100Hz because we're on a 50Hz frequency or something, which I'm not fully technical with, so all this technology does is double the frequency so if we're on 50, it doubles it to 100, if other countries are on 60Hz, then they're on 120Hz and so on. I've researched, read, played with, and came to the conclusion that this TV is the best on the market at this point in time. It doesn;t have Ambi-Light which I don;t really mind about because the design looks great as it is. Awesome specs, nothing can beat it on the market today, and it looks simply stunning, I don;t know how else to describe it. I'm just glad I held off because I nearly bought the 42" as it came out firstly and I wasn;t sure how far behind the 47" was as I was ready to buy now, but thank god I did because this size is perfect.

I bought the 52PFL9432d/79. It's a very nice tv and when compared to all other LCD came out on top. Buoght from HN and the staff member showed me a demo disc to demonstrate the natural motion function. It's amazing, so smooth compared to the others.

The only thing people need to be aware of is that the 52 is not 100hz, which is contrary to what I was told in the shop. Don't think it matters though, and I wanted something which was this big :)

Hi Gazman. How much did you get the 47PFL9703D for, and where did you buy from that had stock?

I bought the 52PFL9432d/79. It's a very nice tv and when compared to all other LCD came out on top. Buoght from HN and the staff member showed me a demo disc to demonstrate the natural motion function. It's amazing, so smooth compared to the others.

The only thing people need to be aware of is that the 52 is not 100hz, which is contrary to what I was told in the shop. Don't think it matters though, and I wanted something which was this big :)

Jom,

As long as you're happy then thats the main thing. You're the one watching it everyday so don't let anyone tell ya otherwise. I've found looking for a tele frustrating as hell and most of it is because of listening to other peoples POV and everyones is different.

A real pity it doesn't have ambilight. One of my favourite features (apart for the fantastic PQ) on my 50" Philips Plasma.

A real pity it doesn't have ambilight. One of my favourite features (apart for the fantastic PQ) on my 50" Philips Plasma.

It is strange that Phillips have dropped Ambilight in Australia. In the UK the 9703 and 9603 have it, but Phillips tell me that it is not planned to have Ambilight here.

What did the 47PFL9703D cost?

Edited by fred2

It is strange that Phillips have dropped Ambilight in Australia. In the UK the 9703 and 9603 have it, but Phillips tell me that it is not planned to have Ambilight here.

Fred,

Its hard to give you an exact figure because it was all done through insurance anyway. Prices werent in RRP when negotiating at the time. :)

Hi Gazman. How much did you get the 47PFL9703D for, and where did you buy from that had stock?

McSpidey,

Harvey Norman Nunawading was who looekd after mine but I'm guessing many stores would already have them but just keeping them off the floors whilst they try and get rid of older stock.

Thanks Gazman. I'd love to hear your report on it (especially in regards to input lag) once you get it.

Ladies and gents,

Its been exactly 6 days since I've received my 47PFL9703D and have been watching FTA, DVD, SD foxtel, FTA footy and so forth and I'm still blown away by the quality. You simply can't judge any TV's picture quality by the way the stores set the Tv's up and the quality of their reception and also the load on their reception. I've had friends and family walk in and their jaws drop at how fantastic this picture quality is. In terms of the plastic shroud, then thats personal opinion and no one can argue with that. I personally like it and I think it looks elegant, stylish and sexy but looking at some of the other designs eg. LG scarlet range, I've had freinds drool over their design and the huge ring at the bottom wheras I totally hate it and think its ugly. Whether its a dust collector frame, I can't say just yet but whether it is or not I don;t really mind because isn;t everything a dust collector sitting out? Very happy camper thus far :)

Just saw the 42PFL9900D in Hardly Normal today. It had Ambilight. Cost from memory was in the $3000 and then some + range.

Also saw the 42PFL7403D alongside it. No Ambilight approx cost $2600 +.

I was going to ask if anyone had had any experience with the ambilight offering. My first impression it was very intrusive. Maybe it can be configured at a lower output.

Also if there was any comment on the 2 models and their capabilities.

But just in case someone has seen these. Any comment?

Grampus,

Those 2 models are great but I would sway more towards the 7403 basically due to the better specs although very much similar. Also, I was a fan of the ambilight on the 9632 models where they were at the back but to have a light all around my screen is a bit extreme for my liking. If I was you though, check out the 42PFL9703D and experience the 2ms and 17-bit clolour processor difference. Its a gorgeous TV. Good luck in ya search.

Just saw the 42PFL9900D in Hardly Normal today. It had Ambilight. Cost from memory was in the $3000 and then some + range.

Also saw the 42PFL7403D alongside it. No Ambilight approx cost $2600 +.

I was going to ask if anyone had had any experience with the ambilight offering. My first impression it was very intrusive. Maybe it can be configured at a lower output.

Also if there was any comment on the 2 models and their capabilities.

But just in case someone has seen these. Any comment?

I have Ambilight and love it - but don't think I would pay $500 more. I would spend the $500 to go part way to upgrading my sound system.

My ambilight has many different settings - although I leave it in auto as it dims automatically and changes colour how I like it.

No idea on the PQ of the different models.

Grampus,

Those 2 models are great but I would sway more towards the 7403 basically due to the better specs although very much similar. Also, I was a fan of the ambilight on the 9632 models where they were at the back but to have a light all around my screen is a bit extreme for my liking. If I was you though, check out the 42PFL9703D and experience the 2ms and 17-bit clolour processor difference. Its a gorgeous TV. Good luck in ya search.

The sales pitch I had was that they had got rid of the 9703, and these 2 models were the newest and greatest. (naturally).

The 9900 in its brochure makes a big point of a "perfect Pixel HD processor" which tries to enhance the PQ from all sources, who knows if that real or just sales gimmick.

I did notice that they both have a 3ms response time. But maybe the 100hz helps picture motion along.

I'll have a rummage around other shops and see if I can find the 9703

Thks for the advice

Oh, yes, I did think the light all around was extreme as well. But now I see that it is user selectable, i'll see if I can get a demo.

Edited by Grampus

Grampus,

Although the prices have come down heaps and its a perfect time to be buying, you have to also be careful if you're not in the know with the models and products that you get caught with sales guys trying to clear out and make some money on old stock. The 9703 model has just come out with the 47' only being in warehouses, not shop floors, as early as 2 weeks ago if not last week so it can't be old stock. They've only just started bringing the 47" into the shop floors now. Its also confusing trying to remember all the different models too so make sure you visit the websites and printout the model leaflets and write down the prices according to where. It seems a bit full on but I've been researching for months and if I was planning to invest a max of 4K on a long term TV then I wanted to know I was buying the best I could get for my money. I'll say again, if you were to buy now then the Philips is the best tele on the market today. If you wait until the end of the year, we'll see what Sony brings out to compete. The only other close 2nd would be the Sammy 6 series but I'm not a big fan of piano black finishes. Anyway, I'm just glad my headaches of looking are over and can sit back and enjoy it. Cheers!

Grampus,

Although the prices have come down heaps and its a perfect time to be buying, you have to also be careful if you're not in the know with the models and products that you get caught with sales guys trying to clear out and make some money on old stock. The 9703 model has just come out with the 47' only being in warehouses, not shop floors, as early as 2 weeks ago if not last week so it can't be old stock. They've only just started bringing the 47" into the shop floors now. Its also confusing trying to remember all the different models too so make sure you visit the websites and printout the model leaflets and write down the prices according to where. It seems a bit full on but I've been researching for months and if I was planning to invest a max of 4K on a long term TV then I wanted to know I was buying the best I could get for my money. I'll say again, if you were to buy now then the Philips is the best tele on the market today. If you wait until the end of the year, we'll see what Sony brings out to compete. The only other close 2nd would be the Sammy 6 series but I'm not a big fan of piano black finishes. Anyway, I'm just glad my headaches of looking are over and can sit back and enjoy it. Cheers!

Thanks for the heads up.

I've just ordered a 9703 after reading up on the specs and listening to some advice.

Hardly Normal are out of stock in my area, but are sourcing one from another store.

Good Guys are out and promised to ring back with an ETA, no response from them so far.

But HN have rung Philips and have been advised September before new shipments arrive.

Or so they say.

I've been a fan of Philips for some time, as you can see from my signature, I've had that one for over 6 years now.

ignore

Edited by g12345567

Thanks for the heads up.

I've just ordered a 9703 after reading up on the specs and listening to some advice.

Hardly Normal are out of stock in my area, but are sourcing one from another store.

Good Guys are out and promised to ring back with an ETA, no response from them so far.

But HN have rung Philips and have been advised September before new shipments arrive.

Or so they say.

I've been a fan of Philips for some time, as you can see from my signature, I've had that one for over 6 years now.

What did you pay? Did you haggle the price down ?

What did you pay? Did you haggle the price down ?

I suspect I'll get jumped on by all 'n sundry.

But $2750.

GG Narre Warren quoted 2899 with "some off for cash"

One HN Cranbourne quoted 2750,

the HN Wonthaggi matched it.

Grampus,

$2750 isnt too bad buddy since they're advertised for $2999 brand new on the market. As time goes on its always gonna be able to come down with bargaining power but you would have apreciated months of viewing pleasure by then. You're gonna love it!

You simply can't judge any TV's picture quality by the way the stores set the Tv's up and the quality of their reception and also the load on their reception. I've had friends and family walk in and their jaws drop at how fantastic this picture quality is.

When I first came across one on the shop floor, I was very impressed with the PQ (and the specs). But then, looking closer into it, I started to notice the disappointing black levels and poor viewing angles. You're pretty much restricted to a straight-on viewing sweet spot.

It may have the best picture/motion processing but...there seems to be way too much backlight bleeding across the whole panel. These were based set on default settings with no tweaking. I've asked a knowledgable HN guy (who I've dealt with many times in the past) and was told not much you can adjust, this has always been a problem with Philips panels compared to other brands.

I was dead-set keen on getting one if it weren't for these 2 issues, everything else seems perfect...

How have you found the black levels and viewing angles? Your input would be much appreciated.

Just got the 9703 today.

As far as I can see or to my tired old eyes, fantastic PQ.

One minor issue, using HDMI in from my PVR, I found there was an audio delay.

I had my audio going to a receiver direct from the PVR, with the sound on the screen turned down.

Changed it to use the coax audio out from the screen instead. Now its all good.

Lots more playing to come.

Anyone used the Lan connect yet?

One minor issue, using HDMI in from my PVR, I found there was an audio delay.

I had my audio going to a receiver direct from the PVR, with the sound on the screen turned down.

Fixed that as well. turned off the natural motion processing.

Seems it chews up a bit of time.

Now I can use the receiver properly passing the audio directly from the PVR.

When I had the audio coming from the screen (PVR>HDMI>Screen>Coax>amp digital in) It looks like they don't pass the audio through transparently,

I was sending out 5.1, from the PVR, but it never arrived at the AMP.

More fiddling.