Ep10 Freezing At Welcome

Hi everyone,

I bought an EP10 a while ago to watch my collection of HD-DVD movies. It worked fine and I didn't use it too much.

I upgraded it with hddvduser's firmware a while ago and it has been working fine until today.

So I tried Heroes, the first disk. It worked fine at the start. Showed the HD-DVD intro, but then froze at chapter 1, 0 minutes.

I couldn't turn it off, so I took out the power cord. Thinking it was a random freeze, I tried turning it on again, but it gets stuck at the Welcome part.

I manually took out the disk, turned it off via the cable and it still doesn't work. It just stops at the Welcome screen, while the TV says no signal.

Any suggestions? Has this happened to anyone else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by chipmunk

Initialize after upgrade? What do you mean?

I upgraded ages ago and it has been working really well ever since. Just all of a sudden it stopped.

So what did you do to fix it?

I had same problem did you initialize after upgrade as soon as i did this problem fixed hope this helps

Go in to the menu and there is a section there which gives info on firmware some where in there you will find the initialize button press and it will reset the ep10 fixed mine anyhow good luck

I'd love to, but as I've explained.

I can't get as far as the menu. It freezes at the Welcome part. So I don't even get an image on the screen.

Go in to the menu and there is a section there which gives info on firmware some where in there you will find the initialize button press and it will reset the ep10 fixed mine anyhow good luck

chipmunk, zeusau's instructions are for when the disc is not playing. in fact, ideally have no disc in the tray when you do this. consider it like a 'soft reset'.

By menu, he/she meant the Setup menu of the player, not the menu of the disc.

Hope this helps!

Edited by gstok

Guest TheBlackFlash

I think what Chipmunk is trying to say is that his player does not start up completely and all he sees is a black screen with "welcome" on the display of the player itself. If so, he will be unable to enter the setup menu or even open the tray. Time to send the player off to Toshiba, methinks. If you ask him nicely, hddvduser may have an easier option than returning the player.

Thanks all for the help.

To clarify, it stops before it even turns on so to speak. So I can't even get a menu. All I get is a 'No Signal' from the TV and a "Welcome" on the player, which normally should turn into a "No Disk" message after a while. When it worked fine, after 40 odd seconds the "welcome" would turn into "no disk" and I'd get the player's menu.

So yeah, it's effectively dead before the player's menu starts. I manually took the disk out too so the player is empty.

I ran it through HDMI and AV (Composite). No component, since I don't have the cables. Neither of them went anywhere.

I'll try the 3 minute thing, otherwise off to Toshiba it is.

I knew I should have bought another couple of xbox 360 addons! :D

Try a full reset unplug hdmi if connected and unplug from wall for 3 minutes if this fails back to toshiba

When my player bricked last year, this was the exact same symptoms. You will need to send it to Toshiba for repair, not a service agent as they dont know how to fix them either.

Oh what!?

Damn. Well I just called Toshiba and they said to go to a service agent in Mascot (Sydney).

They said it may be caused by me killing the power after the player froze. I said, well what the heck else was I supposed to do?

So you reckon the service guy can't help me?