Sign in to follow this  
BribieG

Kogan On Channel 7 At 6.30

What a joke Today Tonight is. It's degraded past its low level of trash to now selling products under the "disguise" of a current affairs. I wonder how much Kogan payed this time around?

You'd have to be crazy to buy one of his "budget" TV's when for the same price, or maybe a $100 more you can buy a reputable brand.

Edited by brett174

I've seen receipts for Samsung 40" Full HD N8 LCD TVs for around $1500. Deduct $150 cashback from that and you're in the $1300s price range. That makes it identical or cheaper in price compared to Kogan the Bogan.

Samsung also has a 3-year onsite warranty included in the price and they have their own repair staff. All this makes buying anything like Kogan completely senseless.

In spite of my repeated efforts trying to point this out, there are still users on DTVForum who think what I'm saying is wrong and that Kogan, Conia, Palsonic, Hisense etc. are worth buying. What do you guys think ?

In spite of my repeated efforts trying to point this out, there are still users on DTVForum who think what I'm saying is wrong and that Kogan, Conia, Palsonic, Hisense etc. are worth buying. What do you guys think ?

I would think that they are few and far between on this forum. However, I'm sure Mr Kogan sells plenty of Panel's via his TT advertisments because there are still plenty of Mums and Dads out there that know no better.

If you want to torture a geek, either do the following:

1. Install Itunes on the geeks family PC and see the geek squirm as his sisters / siblings buy music from Itunes to fill their Ipods every week.

2. Get the geeks parents to buy a PC for $2500 from Harvey Norman.

3. Get the geeks parents to buy a Kogan TV for $2000 (46inch LCD).

The geek would never be able to sleep soundly at night, ever.

For anyone that wants to see it:

What a joke of a salesman and a company!!

You've gotta hand it to him, getting an infomercial on TT is a hell of a coup!

I still wouldn't buy one tho!

If you want to torture a geek, either do the following:

1. Install Itunes on the geeks family PC and see the geek squirm as his sisters / siblings buy music from Itunes to fill their Ipods every week.

2. Get the geeks parents to buy a PC for $2500 from Harvey Norman.

3. Get the geeks parents to buy a Kogan TV for $2000 (46inch LCD).

The geek would never be able to sleep soundly at night, ever.

iTunes rocks, most of my family have bought iPods on my recommendation as Im the family IT/HT Geek!

I've bought items from Conia, Palsonic and TEAC before and I think they are good for the money. If there's substantial savings, it's worth a look. Ok, maybe not Conia. :)

Hisense is a big Chinese brand and not too bad.

As for Kogan, as long as your expectations are reasonable, the specs look good. Just pray that it would last a bit more than 12 months.

Like all of these cheaper brands, there can be genuine savings, but if the price difference is small, bigger brand names can offer better reassurances when things go wrong - most of the time.

I know a couple who wanted to buy TV's for both the lounge and the master bedroom in their first home. Male Charles, a technogeek, wanted a name brand; Melissa wanted cheap. So they bought one Samsung (46 inch I think) for the lounge room) and a smaller Kogan for the bedroom. That was about nine months ago. So far so good.

PQ - the Samsung wins but there is nothing wrong with the Kogan either in the smaller setup. I think they saved about $1k.

Jeff

I've bought items from Conia, Palsonic and TEAC before and I think they are good for the money. If there's substantial savings, it's worth a look. Ok, maybe not Conia. :)

Hisense is a big Chinese brand and not too bad.

As for Kogan, as long as your expectations are reasonable, the specs look good. Just pray that it would last a bit more than 12 months.

Like all of these cheaper brands, there can be genuine savings, but if the price difference is small, bigger brand names can offer better reassurances when things go wrong - most of the time.

My kids have a Conia DVD player and they have flogged it and it still works (4years), Star wars alone has been played a hundred times on this machine. Maybe it a odd one out to be so reliable.

My original Conia SD STB died, and so did the replacement. Changed to a much better TEAC unit with extended warranty from Good Guys.

But look at Conia's range - it's obvious each product line or model have no direct correlation with each other. It's possible a particular model they stamped their name on actually is quite good.

I agree! They tried to brush over the way he speaks by saying he's "only 25". Come on - anyone who speaks and presents like that will put anyone off!

I just came across this thread while trying to research LCD TVs and was quite shocked to see that the conversation had reached such a pathetic low.

When coming onto a forum such as this, I would expect posts related to products and service, rather than posts "bagging" a 25 year old attempting to introduce a lower price alternative.

Seriously, jealousy can be quite a **** sometimes but expressing it in a way such as this is, is truly disgusting.

Shirt or no shirt, he has actually achieved something for himself at such a young age - if my son had achieved something such as this, I would be very proud.

None of your comments have anything to do with Kogan products or service.

I don't usually participate in online forums but I am really curious if any of you would even have the skills to conduct a real life conversation?

I'll be very patient and answer point by point. It is your first post. I wouldn't want you to be flamed from the word go.

There are dozens of posts and threads talking about products, settings, service, issues and so on. Most of the people on this very thread have contributed solutions and assisted many newbies on their HDTV purchases. We are doing this without asking for cash or any rewards for our time, just because there are many Aussies out there who could use a helping hand. The conversation has not reached a "pathetic low". We're really serious when we mean Kogan is not worth buying. Here's why -

1) Kogan is demanding $1300 to $1500 for an entry-level 42" Full High Definition LCD TV. Do we have issues with that ? No. He can fix his own price, in pretty much the same way as Sony, Samsung, LG, Sharp and Philips can.

2) He claims he is using LG or Samsung panels. Do LG/Samsung sell panels out of the back door of their factories ? No. They have better things to do, like selling panels to their partners Philips and Sony respectively.

3) The LCD or PDP by itself cannot display anything till you hook up some serious electronics to it. These are very expensive and can be the difference between a poor display and a great one. Does Kogan have access to those ? No.

4) Is Kogan building his own TVs ? No. He is just importing boxes from a factory in China.

5) What about a place where you can compare a Kogan TV to the competition ? There isn't any.

6) What if the Kogan TV breaks down ? He will pay some local repairmen who may or may not be able to fix it. Parts may or may not be available.

Let me now compare apples to apples -

Kogan 42" Full HD LCD

Says it has LG panel

Contrast ratio - unknown

Other specs - mostly unknown

Warranty - 1 year

Price - $1400

Delivered from - July 21 2008, separate delivery fee of $115 applies

LG 42" Full HD LCD

LG panel

Contrast ratio - at least 10000:1 if not much higher

Other specs - published globally

Warranty - 3 years

Price - $1500 to $1600 (and will be cheaper after 2 months from today)

Delivered - immediately and will cost $35

Still in doubt. Here's another model that is available right now.

Kogan 40" Plain HD LCD

Says it has Samsung panel

Contrast ratio - unknown

Other specs - mostly unknown

Warranty - 1 year

Price - $1200

Delivered - immediately but will cost $100 outside of Melbourne metro

Samsung 40" R81 BDX

Samsung panel

Contrast ratio - 8000:1

Other specs - published globally

Warranty - 3 years

Price - $1150 after $150 cashback

Delivered - immediately for less than $35

Why should we be jealous of Kogan ? There are other people in the industry with more money like Dick Smith and Gerry Harvey to be jealous of. We are angry that Kogan shows up on a current affairs show with an ad disguised as a news story, then provides false and misleading information and that too, without wearing a shirt, a la his other Melburnian buddy Corey Worthless-ton, sorry Worthington. He is not competitive on price, he is not great on service and picture quality of these no-name TVs is not good enough. If my son was selling lies to the public, I would hang my head in shame for failing to raise him as a fair-dinkum Aussie. Go and see these no-name items in any store over the weekend. Then tell me if you can honestly put your hand on your heart and say "It is better than Sony/Samsung/LG/Philips/Sharp".

Is that a good enough conversation ? If not, then I don't know what is.