Ongoing Repeats............

I know we have all posted about the level of repeats but has anyone else noticed over the last week or so a number of shows that have

completely recylced and starting from Episode 1 still at the same time ?

It would be good if they just put on something else and moved the new cycle to a different time.

Some shows I wont admit to watching have just done this over the last few weeks and last night I turned on Sci Fi and thought would just watch a

Stargate Atlantis and it was Episode 1 , Series 1.

I understand we have to have repeats but I just dont understand not shuffling the shows around, sticking Stargate on at another time and then

putting a new show in at 8:30pm ? this leaving it on same time/same channel all the time just gets boring and p*sses of people.

Or am I being totally unreasonable ? :rolleyes:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to totally agree with the first post.

I mean, how many years has TV1 had Seinfeld on at 8:30, then Just Shoot Me (occasionally pulled off for Stupid Stupid Man or Becker) followed by Fraiser, then Married with Children? The answer is a bloody long time. How many times have they actually finished the series of Fraiser, Just Shoot Me or Becker, once if at all. It drove us insane, which is why we cancelled our subscription. You can only watch the same episodes over and over so many times.

Another Example to show it isn't just a TV1 thing, how long has it been since MASH on Fox Classics wasn't on atleast 5 Times a day (excluding weekends)?

I'd say since Fox Classics became a full time channel.

I have to totally agree with the first post.

I mean, how many years has TV1 had Seinfeld on at 8:30, then Just Shoot Me (occasionally pulled off for Stupid Stupid Man or Becker) followed by Fraiser, then Married with Children? The answer is a bloody long time. How many times have they actually finished the series of Fraiser, Just Shoot Me or Becker, once if at all. It drove us insane, which is why we cancelled our subscription. You can only watch the same episodes over and over so many times.

Another Example to show it isn't just a TV1 thing, how long has it been since MASH on Fox Classics wasn't on atleast 5 Times a day (excluding weekends)?

I'd say since Fox Classics became a full time channel.

Yeah I watch Fox Classics but didnt want to name the shows in case someone picks on me :) but some are now up to at least their 3r or 4th time cycling

through and shows like The Nanny as well as Mash and Just Shoot Me and Seinfield etc are just same time/same channel/all year round.

We like some other shows like F-Troop which I can never remember seeing on Foxtel and another called Last of the Summer Wine which has been going for

close to 30 years and we get the same few years worth of shows repeated to death. About 2 years I wrote to UKTV asking when it was coming back on

and the replied in the New Year. When it did it was repeats of last years so I wrote and asked why and just got told I was right they repeated 2006 in early

2007 etc and to look out for new series end of 2007. Well we got new season 2007 and guess what . Early 2008 and they are repeating last years season

again.

So I Ebay'd and bought all of F-Troop and bought Season 1 and just this week season 2 of Last of the Summer Wine. I've toyed with the idea of buying some of the old 50/60's Sci Fi stuff on DVD as well. I first got Sci Fi channel and then ditched it last year as it is disgustingly repetitive but got it again when I

took up offer of 2 packes for a special price and Sci Fi was part of it.

Before Foxtel I hired videos every week then when I got Foxtel I stopped and would be lucky to have hired one a year. Now I am back to a few per month

and starting to buy DVD's which I have never done before.

With the extra FTA's starting up and whatever TIVO/Freeview offers plus hiriing/buying DVD's............ Foxtel is looking like it might be dis-connected by

the end of the year.

As I said , we all understand they have to repeat but same time/same channel/same day is just brainless.

Guest taelmon

Yeah it is getting more rediculous then normal.

And if they're gonna repeat they could alteast show the whole season and in order

not show an expisode where someone dies then the next one is a dozen episodes

back and they're alive again :huh:

Keeps getting worse and i'll have to rethink having foxtel as I didn't get it just to

pay to see something i've already seen and multiple times per week :|

Yeah it is getting more rediculous then normal.

And if they're gonna repeat they could alteast show the whole season and in order

not show an expisode where someone dies then the next one is a dozen episodes

back and they're alive again :huh:

Keeps getting worse and i'll have to rethink having foxtel as I didn't get it just to

pay to see something i've already seen and multiple times per week :|

Tell me about the out of sequence thing.

I 'm not keeping a rough tally of what I watch on FTA , Foxtel , hiring/buying DVD's. I only pay about $65 a month now for Foxtel as ditched Platinum and ditched movies ages ago. That $50 saved covers the DVD hiring of movies for me easily.

As it peak viewing for the FTA's am watching way more of it than Foxtel at the moment. Then as mentioned earlier waiting to see what TIVO/Freeview has

to offer.

i think the reason that they repeat stuff so much is because all of there channels are 24hr channels, 24hours is a lot of time to fill so they fill in the blanks with repeats, if you look at sky in the UK a fair amount of there channels stop broadcasting at various time throughout the day and so there is less pressure on the broadcaster to fill in the gaps.

• 7 months later...
Guest melburn21

Ok, obviously I'm missing something here...

Of course there are repeats! There is 100s of 24 hour channels... Any cable or pay tv service in the world is the same. So why is everyone so suprised?

Secondly, I have IQ as I'm sure most of you do, and I only watch prerecorded stuff so I never channel surf and watch repeats. Surly in a world of PVRs TiVo's and IQs, people aren't still watching repeats and ****ing about it in Internet forums..

If your still watching repeats, it's your own fault

Edited by melburn21

Look how many years FOX8 have been airing The Simpsons. There's about 9 episodes airing a day, with the super simpsons holidays. It drives me crazy.

I just swapped a whole load of DVD's with a friend last night so have something to watch over the break.

I'm gonna keep track of whats on all the extra channels the FTA's will have in 2009. Even if they are repeats , at least can record them and save when

cancel Foxtel. Just cannot afford to add any extra packages and next year not looking the best. Already had our Incentive canned for 6 months so this

household on a tight budget for awhile.

Ok, obviously I'm missing something here...

Of course there are repeats! There is 100s of 24 hour channels... Any cable or pay tv service in the world is the same. So why is everyone so suprised?

Secondly, I have IQ as I'm sure most of you do, and I only watch prerecorded stuff so I never channel surf and watch repeats. Surly in a world of PVRs TiVo's and IQs, people aren't still watching repeats and ****ing about it in Internet forums..

If your still watching repeats, it's your own fault

Take a hike.

a) cannot afford IQ

B) cannot afford to have all the packages

c) because only have Basic plus Sci Fi does it mean have to lay back and take it ?

Glad you are so rich. I'm not and obviously others as well.

And if you really took notice, the level of repeats are disgustingly high. Not a moron and realise they have to have repeats but Foxtel take repeats to a whole new level.

So yeah, you are missing something.

Edited by tomlc

Guest melburn21

^^ you are too poor for IQ?

You can't afford $2.50 a week???

You think only the rich can find $2.50 a week???

I'll tell you what, I'll chuck you some change next time I see you out the front of maccas licking cheeseburger wrappers...

^^ you are too poor for IQ?

You can't afford $2.50 a week???

You think only the rich can find $2.50 a week???

I'll tell you what, I'll chuck you some change next time I see you out the front of maccas licking cheeseburger wrappers...

Why should viewers be expected to RENT NOT buy unreliable equipment for $10.00 extra a month when Tivo/other equipment is more reliable and you fork out $700.00 upfront with no monthly fees to a faceless evil corporation.

As for IQ2 I don't think many people can afford HD capable TV's considering we have a Global Financial Crisis happenning Right NOW.

Take a hike.

a) cannot afford IQ

B) cannot afford to have all the packages

c) because only have Basic plus Sci Fi does it mean have to lay back and take it ?

Glad you are so rich. I'm not and obviously others as well.

And if you really took notice, the level of repeats are disgustingly high. Not a moron and realise they have to have repeats but Foxtel take repeats to a whole new level.

So yeah, you are missing something.

If you are that poor I suggest canceling your foxtel subscription and spending your money on more important things...

Why should viewers be expected to RENT NOT buy unreliable equipment for $10.00 extra a month when Tivo/other equipment is more reliable and you fork out $700.00 upfront with no monthly fees to a faceless evil corporation.

I've found my iQ's to be very reliable over the years, the iQ2 isn't too bad since the initial firmware upgrade. Also you would have to have your Tivo for 70 months for it to be of equal value, that's 5.8 years. Also if your TIVO dies after the warranty period then your fat out of luck, if an iQ dies you phone Foxtel and they come out and replace it for no additional cost. If you had of invested your initial 700 in the stock market you'd expect at least 6% avg growth each year so after the 5.8 years it would have made an additional $281.46 so paying up front is for chumps.

Your logic seems flawed, have you actually ever owned a Foxtel iQ??

The programming strategy of Foxtel has remained unchanged since day 1 of its inception and it is as integral to the Foxtel 'experience' as pulling programmes unexpectedly from the schedules is of the commercial FTA 'experience'. It is doubtful that Foxtel will change this practice anytime soon essentially because there is no incentive for it to do so other than subscriber grumblings (which, time as shown, does not necessarily cost Foxtel any significant financial loss).

Frustrating a practice as the re-cycling strategy of Foxtel is, it cannot be denied that the IQ allows the subscriber to limit the subjective irritation that such strategy causes.

The upcoming advent of so-called 'Freeview' has the potential to give Foxtel reason to lift its game if for no other reason than the offerings of five FTA channels, each with three channels, can possibly give the viewer access to a sheer variety of programming hitherto only available through Foxtel. In other words, 'Freeview' could give consumers access to the very aspects of viewing which appeal to Foxtel subscribers, i.e. variety and flexibility, only with the additional benefit of having the latest programming - possibly with shorter windows between country-of-origin and local broadcast + no subscription costs. This represents real competition to Foxtel, which in turn will force change that is in the interest of subscribers.

Roll on 2009 and let's hope that FTA don't screw it up.

Edited by Harlequin

They already have.......................ONEHD!!

cheers laurie

I understand the point you are making. However, I don't believe that the ONEHD matter will necessarily be the debacle that many believe it will be. Perhaps if the take-up of digital television was greater, and if the Australian viewing public, as a whole, possessed a greater level of sophistication, then there might be a backlash for TEN; but as things currently are, and will likely be until the analogue switch-off forces change, I seriously doubt the majority will care. In fact given the popularity of the Foxtel sport channels, a FTA dedicated Sport channel is quite an innovation. Sure, the coverage will still be ruined by frequent commercial interruption but the Australian viewing public is already trained to accept such severe compromise of the viewing experience anyway.

One thing that I have learned from my twenty years in broadcast television is that so long as the punter can see and hear half-decent pictures and sound, they don't give a rodent's rectum beyond that; and whether it's 720i or 1080p, mono or multichannel, they generally couldn't care less.

Let's wait and see...

One thing that I have learned from my twenty years in broadcast television is that so long as the punter can see and hear half-decent pictures and sound, they don't give a rodent's rectum beyond that; and whether it's 720i or 1080p, mono or multichannel, they generally couldn't care less.

Let's wait and see...

Yeh but sales of 1080i plasmas are keeping HM,Goodguys,Bing Lee in business if they don't give a rodent's rectum why aren't they keeping their crt's yes there are the Mr & Mrs Sixpack that don't give a rodent's rectum but with Blu-Ray e.g. people are understanding the advantage of having a HD display as you said time will tell at least as a shareholder of Ten I will give it to them at the AGM if it fails

cheers laurie