Hdtv's Will Get Stupidly Cheap Next Month

Guest JCB81

well i wanted to get this month too, but ill be holding out till at least June before makin a decision..

does anyone actually know the cost price e.g JB has the sony kdl46k3100 for $3491, cash back $3291.. what would the staff cost price discount be?

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read the article it's talking about the "KDL-46S4100". Correct me if i'm wrong but this is the low end 1080p screen? eg. equivalent to our W series. Looks like they're going after the el cheapo market competing with lg and co with screens that are made in china.

The article does not mention anything about the X or Z series screens. I think the high end screens that are made in japan are still going to sell for a premium.

Just my thoughts

John

they cost very little to manufacture...

Would Love to know the exact cost price of .. Say a 40" unit !!

The volumes they deal with are mind boggling!!

What does everybody think....

A ) Under $1000 AU

B ) Under $500 AU

C ) Under $300 AU 90% off retail !

D ) Under $100 buks ?

E ) Under $50 ???

The volumes they deal with are mind boggling!!

What does everybody think....

A ) Under $1000 AU

B ) Under $500 AU

C ) Under $300 AU 90% off retail !

D ) Under $100 buks ?

E ) Under $50 ???

Of course we will probably never find out, but by way of example (if we can call it that) - there is an urban myth out there that a Nokia mobile phone that retails for $499 actually cost something like $20-40 to manufacture. When one considers all the middlemen involved in getting a product from factory to end user it doesnt surprise me at all. So using the above formula I put it at D) under $100.

Edited by Bertzz

I don't care what people say, but there is absolutely no justification for such a price disparity between the US and Australia!

A 52" Sony Bravia (KDL52W3000) only US$2199.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Search.do?c...archSection=All

Hopefully Australia will follow suit. Absolutely gobsmacking!!

It is ridiculous some of the prices we get charged here, I mean I read the other day that the AUD may hit over 1 USD by next year. Of course we have to remember that we're a much much smaller market but, for the most part, the profits go to the distributor/importer, not the manufacturer. Denon is a prime example, their Aussie distributors must think we're idiots.

I don't know what would be involved in importing a panel, I probably would not take the risk though - the risk of damage is too high, then no local warranty.

there is an urban myth out there that a Nokia mobile phone that retails for $499 actually cost something like $20-40 to manufacture.

Another urban myth I got -

A BMW that retails for $95,000 costs $8,000 to manufacture. I was expecting around $40,000 as the manufacturing cost, with the rest going to middlemen or the fact that they charge a premium because it is a luxury brand.

The cost disparity between the US and all other markets is shocking. Even Europe is very expensive despite the fact that it is a very large market so our inflated prices can't be purely because we are a small market. It looks like people are sucking up to the Americans, much like our successive PMs have been doing.

Another urban myth I got -

A BMW that retails for $95,000 costs $8,000 to manufacture. I was expecting around $40,000 as the manufacturing cost, with the rest going to middlemen or the fact that they charge a premium because it is a luxury brand.

The cost disparity between the US and all other markets is shocking. Even Europe is very expensive despite the fact that it is a very large market so our inflated prices can't be purely because we are a small market. It looks like people are sucking up to the Americans, much like our successive PMs have been doing.

There are a few factors that dictate prices for any good or service.

It is not just the size of the market that purely dictates the cost of an item. You have to take into account the countries economy, Inflation, exhange rates, average incomes and so on.

You will find that the average wage in Australia is much higher than the average wage in the US for example.

Its just not a simple case that we are getting ripped off

There are a few factors that dictate prices for any good or service.

It is not just the size of the market that purely dictates the cost of an item. You have to take into account the countries economy, Inflation, exhange rates, average incomes and so on.

You will find that the average wage in Australia is much higher than the average wage in the US for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Interna...hold_Income.png

I think it has more to do with the size of the markets which produce volume sales figures which means better import prices given to the Distributors from the Manufacturers.

Only at current exchange rates.

Try the same calculation when the Aus was 54c to the USD.

Also look at Property Prices in the US. I could buy a place in the US in a good location with a Garage bigger than my living area for about half the price of my ( current valuation ) Apartment here.

I know its not apples versus apples but Australia is an expensive country compared to its nearest neighbours in Asia. ( except NZ ).

Europe just not worth even thinking about.

Why do think Australia is full of of 10 pound Poms

Only at current exchange rates.

Try the same calculation when the Aus was 54c to the USD.

Also look at Property Prices in the US. I could buy a place in the US in a good location with a Garage bigger than my living area for about half the price of my ( current valuation ) Apartment here.

I know its not apples versus apples but Australia is an expensive country compared to its nearest neighbours in Asia. ( except NZ ).

Europe just not worth even thinking about.

Why do think Australia is full of of 10 pound Poms

i was actually talking about today not the past.

There is no doubt that Australia is an expensive place to live, but would you trade it and live anywhere else? :D

with most goods, yeah the actual parts used may only cost 5% of the selling price, but you have to factor in the labour charges, cost of running and maintaining the manufacturing plant, new tooling/processes, cost of insurances, licencing/registration, compliancing, the engineering team, R&D, plus probably a heap more that are unique to each inudustry.

when a new product is launched, many units have to be sold to recover the costs of getting it into its relative market.

i remember when i worked at holden, it was said that the actual 'cost' of each commodore is only several thousand dollars. but each car takes somewhere around 1-2 days to make (2001) and there are about 4000 employees(same year) well 4000x250(average daily income of only the manufacturing plants, considering base level employees upto area supervisors, not considering contractors, office staff, managers, etc $$$) is 1million. i'm sure once all other costs are added into the numbers, the overall number is probably around 14-18million. and using a rough average of 42000 per car is 21million. so thats not a huge profit really.

Edited by simonr23

I'd guess that Cost price per unit is under $50 !!

But considering outlay, R&D, stock support etc etc.. Probly equals an Inclusive cost price of Under $300.

If true Still a very healthy margin, regardless if sold in US, Aus, Eur.

Things are only worth what you pay for them anyway!!

The effort it took you to afford "said item" is directly proportional to what you perceive it to be worth.

QUOTE (mwd @ May 9 2008, 12:04 PM)

Using the price of beer, petrol and state of the women as a measuring criteria South America comes up No.1

Add to that list chances of getting stabbed or shot !!

I'd guess that Cost price per unit is under $50 !!

But considering outlay, R&D, stock support etc etc.. Probly equals an Inclusive cost price of Under $300.

If true Still a very healthy margin, regardless if sold in US, Aus, Eur.

Things are only worth what you pay for them anyway!!

The effort it took you to afford "said item" is directly proportional to what you perceive it to be worth.

QUOTE (mwd @ May 9 2008, 12:04 PM)

Using the price of beer, petrol and state of the women as a measuring criteria South America comes up No.1

Add to that list chances of getting stabbed or shot !!

LOL LMAO at that one

( The number of weeble wobble women round here is sickening. )

Sickening?

I'll tell you what's sickening.

Ungrateful tossers walking around not knowing how good they have it whilst others in less privileged areas do it tough.

:angry::angry2:

As for the paranoid concerns about cost, its more that we are a small isolated market and the infrastructure required to sell here (offices, management, tech and support staff) adds alot to the unit cost.

We can all give the tin foil hats a rest ... there is no conspiracy.