Sign in to follow this  
Tassie Devil

Have Austar Changed Encryption On Their Cards?

Thanks for the reply guys.

Yes I found Austar Nat Geo (the latest releases) & Movie channels high PQ (they upscale VERY nicely) so it sounds as if PQ wise there is not much to choose between the two services -> Austar will lose this customer when the contract runs out.

John

I've heard on the grapevine that Strong are testing a firware upgrade to enable their boxes/cams to work with Austar cards again.

Obviously if they succeed, other manufacturers will follow.

I've heard on the grapevine that Strong are testing a firware upgrade to enable their boxes/cams to work with Austar cards again.

Obviously if they succeed, other manufacturers will follow.

AFAIK it is nothing any STB or PVR manufacturer can control. It is all about card encryption, something completely controlled by Austar.

So methinks that is a wishful thinking rumour.

And BTW I take back my negative comments re the PQ in the Austar STB. The s-video out can process VERY nicely. I'm now feeding into the Pioneer DVDR -> component out -> iScan VP50 pro upscaler -> Sony VW200 projector on a 96" wide screen and, on good quality material (mainly post 2000) the picture is excellent.

John

As we all know, grapevines can be unreliable...

As it was explained to me, Austar added an extra set of keys, making 11 sets and that third-party boxes only have the capability (at this stage) to accept 10 sets.

This may, or may not be correct.

It would seem likely however that if other decoder manufacturers did find a way around that, Austar would just make changes again. :mellow:

I couldn't agree more. Austar have royally p*ssed off a lot of their PAYING customers with their haphazard countermeasure, in an attempt to knock out pirates who wouldn't have subscribed to the service and generated income for Austar anyway!

It's the pirates that you should get stuck into. As usual in this selfish society in which we live it is the actions of a selfish self centred minority that inconvenience the honest majority. Just trawl through some of the related threads here and you will see that there are DTV FORUM members actively searching out pirate cards and are quite open about using them. Other people pay and they bludge. They can justify it anyway they want but it boils down to this . They want to get something for free and they do not give a stuff about other people who have to subsidise their illegal and unethical actions!

It's the pirates that you should get stuck into. As usual in this selfish society in which we live it is the actions of a selfish self centred minority that inconvenience the honest majority. Just trawl through some of the related threads here and you will see that there are DTV FORUM members actively searching out pirate cards and are quite open about using them. Other people pay and they bludge. They can justify it anyway they want but it boils down to this . They want to get something for free and they do not give a stuff about other people who have to subsidise their illegal and unethical actions!

Agree with that. It IS stealing :ninja: and like all theft those who pay are left to pick up the tabs.

Please guys, stop ranting at Austar. They are only trying to legitimately protect their interests. Just annoying we have been caught in the crossfire, but that is how it often pans out in life when a few people abuse a system.

John

Agree with that. It IS stealing :ninja: and like all theft those who pay are left to pick up the tabs.

Please guys, stop ranting at Austar. They are only trying to legitimately protect their interests. Just annoying we have been caught in the crossfire, but that is how it often pans out in life when a few people abuse a system.

John

Yes, it is. I am not a huge fan of Austar, but it's like telling a child off for being born, really. Not their fault (Not a good example, but there you go). I do think that the SmartCard in whatever box you want idea has some merit, although I'm not entirely sure how it would work.

The problem is that Austar insists on using the Irdeto encryption system, but as we have discovered time and time again it has so many holes in it that it's nothing more than a sinking ship. Rather than fix the holes that make it possible to copy cards (which NDS Videoguard doesn't seem to have as much of a problem with) they've had to resort to customising the entire encryption stream, making current Irdeto compliant devices useless.

I do think that the SmartCard in whatever box you want idea has some merit, although I'm not entirely sure how it would work.

If you want to see how it can work then look at SelecTV. A large number of Austar customers have migrated to SelecTV as a direct result of Austar's actions. At least SelecTV can provide a service they can use with their expensive 3rd party equipment which would otherwise become paper weights.

Rang Movie Network to advocate that they get around to broadcasting 5.1 sound, in the same manner as Showtime.

If that happens, I'd expect SelecTV etc to then have same. They admitted they do get requests, so if you ever find time, email them and request same!

http://www.movienetwork.tv/

I note Irdeto advocating a "CI+" Standard, this would allow existing pay providers to permit legitimate sub card holders to use third-party decoders and decoder/PVR's. The new advocated standard by Irdeto would have a much greater security benefit for the provider.

Whether or not Austar ever adopted this is another question. And if ever adopted, its impact on say SelectTV would be overwhelming, which'd be a pity, because the system, I think, has merit.

http://www.irdetoaccess.com/page.php?page_...mp;press_id=151

If you want to see how it can work then look at SelecTV. A large number of Austar customers have migrated to SelecTV as a direct result of Austar's actions. At least SelecTV can provide a service they can use with their expensive 3rd party equipment which would otherwise become paper weights.

Lol. Currently no pirated cards work on Austar, the white cards that use to work for Austar still work on SelecTV from all accounts.

Lol. Currently no pirated cards work on Austar, the white cards that use to work for Austar still work on SelecTV from all accounts.

I wasn't referring to the piracy, I was referring to the model by which SelecTV uses in that they don't force you to use a supplied decoder and it works - they have a good deal of customer loyalty as a result.

The fact that pirate cards are available and operate for SelecTV is another issue which is a result of fundamental flaws in the Irdeto specification. Perhaps a move to V5.3 cards and CI+ cams would resolve that issue.

I wasn't referring to the piracy, I was referring to the model by which SelecTV uses in that they don't force you to use a supplied decoder and it works - they have a good deal of customer loyalty as a result.

The fact that pirate cards are available and operate for SelecTV is another issue which is a result of fundamental flaws in the Irdeto specification. Perhaps a move to V5.3 cards and CI+ cams would resolve that issue.

That's good for the consumer but as a business model third party STB's are far less secure then the closed system. Personally I don't have a problem with a closed system, I use mac computers and an iPod you don't get much more locked down then that. My problem with Austar is they don't have a big enough range of equipment.

Personally I don't have a problem with a closed system, I use mac computers and an iPod you don't get much more locked down then that. My problem with Austar is they don't have a big enough range of equipment.

Yes, true, at least with a Mac etc they are versatile enough that you can do whatever you want with them. Austar only provide the choice of a featureless STB and a buggy PVR. They are only shooting themselves in the foot by not providing their customers with more flexible options. How many years will Austar customers have to wait to have access to the HD channels operating on the same satellite as Foxtel?? We could have access right now if Austar didn't need to spend years developing their own customised box to watch the channels. 3rd party MPEG-4 decoders are readily available on the market right now, but no we have to wait and wait for yet another buggy product to be released before we have access to the HD channels. It's a ridiculous situation that we don't need to have.

Really ?? To quote a redhead, please explain..