Antenna Expert Operating In Sydney Eastern Suburbs?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm, they don't seem to be answering the phones or returning voicemail.

Any other recommendations anyone?

I must be pretty close to you Alastair. PM me your details if you want, I do site surveys and installations throughout this area.

I do site surveys and installations throughout this area.

Mate, I've just moved into a Strata block of units down in Bondi beach. Building has no MATV system, I wanna push a new Digital system through body Corp. (not going to be easy)

But any Local advice on Antenna options would be great !!!

I'm guessing my best bet is Kings Cross translator?

Also I called this bloke - http://www.starsinstallations.com/cont.html - Seemed a bit full on!!

Gave me conflicting advice from that I have recieved on this Forum.

Edited by harrydmofo

I'm guessing my best bet is Kings Cross transmitter?

That depends on what signals are best at your location.

It's possible you may have access to the main transmitters and also the Kings Cross translators.

The only way to determine which signals will provide the most reliable reception, is to have the signals measured.

Harry,

From Ben Buckler, the Kings Cross translators are about 6 Km at 288 degrees, which is W/NW.

The main transmitters at Willoughby, Artarmon and Gore Hill are around 13 Km at 315 degrees, which is NW.

For the Kings Cross translators, only a small UHF band 5 antenna is required for all channels.

For the main TX, you require a band 3 antenna for all commercial networks & the ABC, plus a band 4 UHF antenna for SBS (or a combination band 3/4 antenna, however, separate antennas combined with a diplexer offer superior performance).

Terrain/buildings in the signal path will probably determine which signals will work best at your location.

My preference would be the KC translators (if signals are sufficient) as UHF is much less prone to interference issues.

Harry,

From Ben Buckler, the Kings Cross translators are about 6 Km at 288 degrees, which is W/NW.

The main transmitters at Willoughby, Artarmon and Gore Hill are around 13 Km at 315 degrees, which is NW.

For the Kings Cross translators, only a small UHF band 5 antenna is required for all channels.

For the main TX, you require a band 3 antenna for all commercial networks & the ABC, plus a band 4 UHF antenna for SBS (or a combination band 3/4 antenna, however, separate antennas combined with a diplexer offer superior performance).

Terrain/buildings in the signal path will probably determine which signals will work best at your location.

My preference would be the KC translators (if signals are sufficient) as UHF is much less prone to interference issues.

Mate thanks A mill! much needed info that !! :D

Dont spose U do Installs ?

Dont spose U do Installs ?

Indeed, I do, including MATV systems.

Mostly in the southern and western areas, but have been known to venture northeast at times :)

charlesc is obviously much closer to you though.

• 1 year later...
hi charlesc,

i also live in bondi junction and need a tv antenna installed. do u still install?

Hi baxtermac,

I certainly do. :)

PM (Personal Message) me with some more info.

You'll need to get your post count up above 5 to be able to do this. Or for me to be able to PM you.

Please refer to the note in my sig below about how to get your post count up.

• 4 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys! I live in a flat above a business in Kingsford. I have not long purchased a Panasonic DVD Plasma TV. I am getting excellent reception from all channels except SBS. I have a wall plug to an antenna and there are 2 antennas on the buildings roof, but I have no idea if my link is connected. For a short time I got some SBS reception, but then th eguy in the flat next door moved out and with him my reception to SBS stopped. I wonder if he might have unplugged me. Is it possibile to get an assessment of the situation before having to spend too much on new antennas?

PeterKneipp, you need to have more than 5 posts before the Personal Message facility will work.

Make a few more posts (see my sig below on how to quickly get these up) and send me a PM. I'm not far from you.

Thanks for the reply charlesc. As a very new guy here I only just realised I needed more posts to be able to make contacts. No worries - I will do that as soon as I can get it done. Thanks for the offer of advise.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an antenna wall socket in my apartment. I think it is linked to a MATV. I have also bought a coaxial cable with a F-connector but can only received SBS. The other channels are choppy and with lots of intermittent. May I know if the cable is faulty? Will it help if I get an internal antenna? My apartment is in Waterloo. Thanks in advance.

seblee,

There are so many possible aspects to your reception, it's difficult to know where to start.

The outlet in your apartment may not be working. Do any of your neighbours get OK reception from their outlets?

Maybe the main system doesn't work, or maybe it's just your outlet?

From Waterloo, you might be able to receive the Kings Cross signals as well as the main transmitter ones from the North Shore. Again, it depends how your 'shared' system is set up.

These are the channels from the main transmitters on the North Shore.

ABC VHF 12 Hor 226.5 MHz ABC Tower 221 Pacific Highway GORE HILL

SEVEN VHF 6 Hor 177.5 MHz Ch7/10 Tower 192-196 Hampden Road ARTARMON

NINE VHF 8 Hor 191.625 MHz TCN 9 Television Tower Artarmon Road WILLOUGHBY

TEN VHF 11 Hor 219.5 MHz Ch7/10 Tower 192-196 Hampden Road ARTARMON

SBS UHF 34 Hor 571.5 MHz ABC Tower 221 Pacific Highway GORE HILL

Dig44 UHF 35 Hor 578.5 MHz ABC Tower 221 Pacific Highway GORE HILL

And those at Kings Cross.

ABC UHF 30 Hor 543.625 MHz Elan Building Victoria St KINGS CROSS

SEVEN UHF 48 Hor 669.5 MHz Elan Building Victoria St KINGS CROSS

NINE UHF 33 Hor 564.5 MHz Elan Building Victoria St KINGS CROSS

TEN UHF 45 Hor 648.5 MHz Elan Building Victoria St KINGS CROSS

SBS UHF 34 Hor 571.5 MHz Elan Building Victoria St KINGS CROSS

I use auto tuning so the frequency shd be correct. Or do I have to manually set the frequency to follow northshore or kingcross? Sorry, I'm quite ignorant to all these. I'm quite layman and some terms used in the internet just don't make sense to me.

I didn't think the wall socket is faulty since I can receive SBS quite clearly. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The cable that I'm using is 10m long cable cause the socket is quite a distance from my TV. Could that be a reason as well? So any remedy? Can problem be solved if I buy an internal antenna?

Thanks

I use auto tuning so the frequency shd be correct.

Well, maybe not. If there are a couple of potential signal sources, the receiver may tune in a 'weak' one as well as the main one.

But in your situation that should give you quite a few programs, not just the SBS you appear to have.

I didn't think the wall socket is faulty since I can receive SBS quite clearly. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You should be getting more than just SBS at the wall outlet. Or at least presumably you should...

The cable that I'm using is 10m long cable cause the socket is quite a distance from my TV. Could that be a reason as well?

What sort of quality is the cable? Is it the cheaper coax, with plastic moulded plugs on the end? That can loose signal very well, in my experience. Do you have a shorter length you could try it with? Move the TV temporarily? Signal loss would tend to be higher at the high frequencies, like SBS.

Can problem be solved if I buy an internal antenna?

An external antenna should work better for you, but if the shared system isn't working properly, you may need to try an indoor one.

It's difficult to guess without measuring what is going on at your place.

When I connect to the wall socket in the hall, I can get more than SBS but the other channels give me a lot of intermittent.

I tried to connect to another wall socket in my room and now I can recieve all the channels quite clearly. Does it mean the wall socket in the hall is faulty? Can it be fixed?

Thanks.

When I connect to the wall socket in the hall, I can get more than SBS but the other channels give me a lot of intermittent.

I tried to connect to another wall socket in my room and now I can recieve all the channels quite clearly. Does it mean the wall socket in the hall is faulty? Can it be fixed?

It's either a faulty outlet, the cabling connecting it to the splitter, the splitter itself, the connectors/terminations, or there is too much signal loss from the antenna/splitter to that outlet, possibly a different type of coax used on that outlet, or the cable run is longer, causing greater attenuation, or, a combination of those things.

Without accurate signal measurements, it's impossible to know for certain, but yes, it can be fixed.

There's something wrong within the distribution system in your apartment.

The quickest way to find out what is going on is to measure what is available, and see why it is different. Then replace what is faulty.

If you want, get your posts up above 5 (see note in my signature below), and then send me a PM (Personal Message).

You're just the other side of Centennial Park from me. I can come over and investigate the problem.